Roleplay > History

How it all began: Elenian historical archives

(1/2) > >>

Markus:
The revolution.
23rd December 1989

Revolutionaries taking control of the state television
"This is Elania free state television, I repeat this is the free state television. The revolution is successful; the people have ousted the dictator. I repeat, the dictator is no more; he is now in the custody of the army which has joined the people. I repeat, the army is now on the side of the people. "

Markus:
The days of the Provisional Government
24th December 1989

"We would like to make a public announcement. The provisional government has issued three decrees which will be implemented immediately as of now:
One, the government guarantees free speech, no more censorship.
Two, all food rationing will be abolished. Citizens will be able to purchase as much food as they please.   
Three, the communist act of 1920 which saw the banning of the Christian Church is now abolished. All restrictions placed on the Church are now abolished. This is the first Christmas in two generations that Elanians will be able to celebrate in without fear of arrest. "

Markus:
Elanians vote for the first time in free elections
15th January 1990

Elanians waiting to vote
"Today the Elanian people are asked to come to the polls to choose their government for the first time since the communist dictatorship has been overthrown. Elanians young and old waited for hours in long queues to cast their vote. The provisional government has stated that if necessary the polling hours will be extended well over midnight so that all Elanians will be able to cast their votes.
According to surveys the Christian Democratic Party is expected to win over 80% of the seats in the Elenian Senate. The Social Democratic Party, the spiritual successors to the Communist Party of Elania is expected to gain under 10%."

Markus:
A new beginning for the Church
April 1990

"Bishop Anastasios has arrived today from Venora to lead the Elanian Christian Orthodox Church which after almost 70 years of persecutions has seen is clergy reduce to less than two dozen priests.
Thousands have gathered outside the old Cathedral in the capital to welcome the new bishop of Elania who will become Elania's new Patriarch.  Bishop Anastasios, who has yet to learn Elanian, had a simple message for those gathered to greet him: “Christ is risen!” to which the faithful answered “He is risen!”. The moment is symbolic of the resurrection of the Church and of hope in the hearts of all Elanians.

The President of the Republic was also present and has said that “I welcome the restoration of the church. After 70 years of forced atheism, the Church is free again just as we Elanians are free!”

Markus:
Death of a symbol   May 1996

Elanians attending the funeral of President Coposu
"More than a million Elanians  went to the streets to pay their respects to late President Coposu. The entire nation is in mourning. President Coposu was a symbol of the Elanian nation. In his 96 years spent on Mundus he lived a tumultuous similar to that of our nation. While in his youth he lived in a time before the communist dictatorship, in 1931 he received his first sentence of 10 years of hard labor for “betrayal of the working class" and "crimes against social reforms". After his release he continued to subvert the communist regime and was again imprisoned and sentenced to five years for “clandestine religious activity”. Despite the many years he spent in prison and the numerous hardship,  he outlasted the communist regime and was elected the first and so far only President of Elania. I believe I speak for all Elanians when I say we thank him for his service to the country. “     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version