Roleplay > International News Networks

Nya Åland News

(1/16) > >>

KrisNord:

]

HEAD GOTHI DIES IN SECRET
It was confirmed today by Allsherjargoði Jin Odinsson that the nations leader, Head Gothi Daniel Stenberg has died. Shortly after a video was posted on several news channels showing a traditional boat funeral conducted in secret and the boat being pushed into the Sea of Alucard. A spokesman for the government said, "It is a sad day for our nation, Daniel Stenberg was seen by many as the father of our nation, he has lead us through difficult times and made our nation stronger, now it is our duty to ensure we continue his works to make our nation a place fit for the Gods."

A few hours later the Police, who had carried out an investigation into the death made their own statement. "This morning the Head Gothi was killed in a swordfight, it appears that this was arranged with a group of Gothi's who considered themselves loyal followers of the Head Gothi. Acting with his consent he was killed and a traditional Odinist funeral was carried out. We have determined that none of the men involved will be charged with murder, this was clearly something done by a man who made a decision to die. It was discovered during our investigation that each of those involved had a signed and sealed letter from the Head Gothi pardoning them for the murder of Daniel Stenberg, therefore we are unable to charge them. We have also discovered that Stenberg was suffering from Motor neurone disease and therefore this is likely to have been some attempt at an honourable death in the eyes of a deeply devout Odinist."

A few hours after the announcment this newspaper recieved a couriered letter which turned out to be the Head Gothi's farewell letter.

--- Quote from: Letter ---
To my Brothers and Sisters

Today my earthly life has come to an end, I wish it to be known that I view the man that killed me not as a murderer but as a true brother, it is thanks to him that I have died a true noble death, a weapon in my hand surrounded by friends. It is my dearest hope that no punishment will be given to those who have helped me on my way, and that my final destination will be to Valhalla where I shall be reunited with my darling wife.

The decision I have made was difficult, my body was failing and over the last few months it has become hard for me to hold a chisel, as a Carpenter who loved his work this was heart breaking, my diagnosis of Motor neurone disease meant this would only get worse and that I would be unable to complete my duties. Our Republic deserves strong leadership, and in this difficult time needs it, I am now pleased that it will get exactly that. In the coming weeks the people of our land will go to the polls and select my successor, to whoever it is I hope Odin will bless you as you lead our people to a great future.

As I leave you I wish only to tell you that I am proud of the nation we created as a family and that I shall be watching you continue to greatness.

Go With Odin.

Daniel Stenberg.

--- End quote ---

It is expected that a memorial service will be held in Krokom for Stenberg in two days and that a memorial will be built soon after. Nominations for the new Head Gothi are expected to be opened in a weeks time with Jin Odinsson taking emergency powers until a new one is elected.

KrisNord:

HEAD GOTHI CANDIDATE SPECIAL**HEAD GOTHI CANDIDATE SPECIAL**HEAD GOTHI CANDIDATE SPECIAL**HEAD GOTHI CANDIDATE SPECIAL
]

THREE CANDIDATES MEET REQUIREMENTS. ELECTIONS SOON
Following of the passing of the deadline to submit candidacy for the successor to the late Daniel Stenberg there have been three candidates put forward. To be eligable to stand for the position the person must have been born within Åland, celebrated their 35th birthday, served a minimum of five years as a Gothi at a shrine and have no criminal record. The three candidates will now have until the 1st October to run their campaign before the nations voters take to the ballots. The successor to Daniel Stenberg will be only the 2nd Head Gothi in the nations history and will assume responsibility for guiding the nation both spiritually and in terms of the nations foreign policy direction.

The three candidates are profiled below.

Konrad Gulbrandsen

Konrad is the youngest of the three candidates at the age of 38. He currently is the Custodian of the Shrine of Thor in Grunwald, a position he has held for the last eight years after finishing military service in the Marines of the former Union of Nordic People, where he reached the rank of Sergeant. He is a keen fisherman and has been an invigilator in the last two whale hunts held at Spotswald. His current manner of employment is as a shipwright, is married and has two daughters aged 5 and 2. He has very little political experience beyond the work carried out as a Custodian. He was rumoured to have been present when Daniel Stenberg died, but has so far refused to comment on this. He is known to believe that the path set forth by Daniel Stenberg was a good one for the nation and believes that more could be done to make the nation more self reliant. He has also spoke of the nation expanding militarily in order to be able to fulfil obligations to Uppsala without relying on East Moreland, Achkaerin and Lodjain troops, a group he described as "gifts from Odin"

Stein Ulfsson

The 49 year old Hjalmby native is the current Gothi at his local shrine to Tyr and currently works as a Literature teacher at a local secondary school. He is known to be a keen supporter of the arts and at one time was part of the Union of Nordic People's National Theatre Company. He is known for his outspoken views that education needs massive investment and has made this one of his priorities. He has worked in Uppsala during school holidays and helped establish educational centres there with support from East Moreland's Melissa Lusk. He is married and has three children (Two daughters aged 19 and 16, One son aged 10). He has spoken that if elected he will seek to push Nordic culture as a means of establishing better relations with nations beyond those who supported Uppsala. He has also been highly critical of the CTO calling it "a weak talking shop"

Tessan Victorsson

The only woman to nominate herself the 70 year old served briefly as a Junior Foreign Minister in the Union of Nordic People before resigning in order to follow a path studying theology.  She currently is the Gothi for Heimdall in Krokom as well as an archivist for the Odinic Order. She was a part time seamstress while raising her three children, (1 son aged 42, two daughters aged 38 and 35) as well as caring for her various grandchildren. She has voiced concerns about the nation needing to stand strong in the face of foreign pressure regarding what she has described as "Unjust international laws" as well as being a believer that foreign influence will weaken the nation. She has called for the creation of an Odinist Foreign Legion as a peacekeeping force in Uppsala stating, "The Morelanders, The Achkaerin and Lodjains, even the Maori, have done a tremendous job, but we should be self-reliant and Odinists across Mundus will be given a chance to serve the Gods".

Each of the candidates will be invited to address the Odinic Council in a televised session, the running order for these being determined by lots with one candidate speaking each day. Furthermore it is likely that each will run substantial campaigns travelling around the nation.

KrisNord:

]

LONGBOAT 3 BEGINS DEATH DIVE
Following a lengthy mission in space the nations Longboat 3 probe is due to dive into the atmosphere of  Nintura before burning up in a fireball that may be observable from Mundus. Teams of scientists from what is now the Joint Nordic Space Programme will gather in mission control to bid farewell to a probe that has given us more data on Nintura than ever before. The probe has spent time manouvering around the planets various moons as well as completing a number of dangerous manouvers taking it between the planets famous rings. Within the next six hours it is predicted that  radio communications will be lost with the two-ton, bus-size spacecraft as it plunges into the giant planet’s turbulent atmosphere at more than 122,000 kilometers per hour. Within seconds the gas streaming around the plummeting probe will reach temperatures hot enough to melt its aluminium chassis, followed by the iridium cladding that shields its plutonium power source. With its radio link to Mundus severed, Longboat’s last “transmission” will be the light from this fireball, a modest blaze that astronomers might glimpse from telescopes across Mundus. A minute after its final signal, the sophisticated spacecraft will be reduced to a rapidly dissipating spray of vaporized metal some 200 kilometers beneath it's graves swirling cloud tops.

The mission has  sent back about 635 gigabytes of data, much of it consisting of gorgeous images. That may seem underwhelming by today’s terabyte-saturated technologies however for a mission planned over twenty years ago with so much ambition the results have been highly impressive. Around 8million people have been following the probes official twitter account where mission control has been posting images and updates from a probe which is significantly older than the social network. One of the highlights of the mission was spotting for the first time plumes of water vapour being shot high into the planets skies, plumes that in the final years of the mission Longboat first photographed and then flew through collecting unique data. The probe is now running out of fuel, and keen to avoid the spacecraft spinning out of control—striking and potentially contaminating Enceladus or Titan with any lingering Mundus-born microbes—mission planners are deliberately crashing Longboat into the planet, turning it into a makeshift atmospheric probe. As it plunges into Nintura’s clouds it will operate eight of its instruments and use its thrusters to keep its high-gain antenna pointed toward Mundus as long as possible, transmitting as much information as it can about the atmosphere’s composition until it is overwhelmed and tumbles into oblivion. Some think that data could help scientists refine their understanding of Nintura’s origins and early evolution.

The team who have run the Longboat Mission have spoke of their sadness and joy at the completion with Dr. Momssen, one of the projects longest serving members and a member of the team who witnessed the launch long ago, said. "This is the final hours of a life of work. Many of the team have dedicated their whole adult lives so far to learning about Nintura and in a few moments that will be over. It will take years to sift through the data and images we have collected, but many of us as engineers, technicians and mission controllers will not be part of that. For me this will be my final mission, at 61 I will be retiring, it seems fitting to go when Longboat does. It's been an adventure and I am proud that a mission that was intended to simply overfly and photograph the moons has achieved so much more. Many of the scientists who started Longboat died in the UNP Disaster, I hope they too will today be looking down and smiling as our baby completes its epic voyage." It was left to Dr.Momssen to transmit the order for the final dive and as he did so he recited a prayer normally used at funerals.

"Lo, There do I see my Father, and
Lo, there do I see my Mother, and
Lo, There do I see my Brothers and my Sisters and
Lo, There do I see my people back to the begining, and
Lo they do call to me, and
bid me take my place among them in the halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave will live forever. "

KrisNord:

]

CANDIDATES MEET LONGHOUSE
The three candidates aiming to become the next Head Gothi yesterday visited the Longhouse, they were given a tour of the building, meet the various representatives working there and meet with civil servants who gave them each a briefing on the way the office works. They were joined for part of the tour by Home Affairs Minister Birgit Strand, possible the nations most experienced politician. Miss Strand said, "It should be remembered that unlike other nations our leader is not a career politician, they are a spiritual person who is an expert on the faith therefore guiding us in the way the Gods would be proud of. Furthermore they are often not from a background where intricate knowledge of government procedures is important. This briefing is kind of a way of them seeing if this is really what they want to dedicate the next five years of their life to."

Each where then given thirty minutes to address the Longhouse and a further thirty minutes to answer questions. This was screened live on 24 hour news and around 40% of the nation tuned in at times. Here at our publication we have summarised each candidates stances.

Konrad Gulbrandsen
Stein UlfssonTessan VictorssonDrugsAlchohol age limit dropped to 16.
Certain recreational drugs to be licenced and heavily taxed. No changeAll drugs to remain banned.

Alchohol to be taxed more.EducationExtra funding for apprenticeships.Literature to be required until the age of 18.

University to be free.

Theology to be studied until 18.
University to be free for top 10% of students.PropertyNo change to Private ownership LawsAny land considered empty and owned by Thanes to be made into a collective farm.Odinic Order to take control of all land unoccupied for two years. GovernmentNo changeCreation of a Deputy Gothi post.Odinic Order to become part of the government in an official capacity.Civil RightsVoting to be extended to non Odinists who have resided in NA for six years.Odinic Order to become ultimate court of appeal.Legislation to be passed protecting transexuals.ReligionRe-establish Operation Hrringhorri to make immigration by Odinists easy.Odinic Order to establish missionariesCrackdown on religious content by non-Odinists on TV and Radio.EconomyBusiness tax to be lowered.
Income tax to be lowered
Removal of vehicle tax but increase on fuel tax. Funding for overseas aid to be scrapped.

Creation of an enterprise zone.Non Odinist owned companies to pay a 0.25% tax.

HealthNo more cosmetic surgery for free.

Missed Doctors appointments to be charged at $500Establishment of mobile hospitals for remote areas.Sugar Tax to be introduced.

Alchohol related visits to A&E to be charged.EnvironmentIncrease in use of Geothermal energy. Ban on certain packaging

Aim for "Petrol Free" Roads by 2030.Creation of areas of natural beauty.

Increase hunting permits

Funding of green energy.UppsalaCity to be reduced to rubble on west side of river and material reused to be build eastern side on a limited size. Refugees to be housed in disused properties in NA.

Uppsala to become an enterprise zone. Creation of a new military unit, the Odinist Foreign Legion. Legion to be based in Uppsala and given police duties.

KrisNord:

]

STEIN ULFSSON BECOMES NEW HEAD GOTHI
49 year old Stein Ulfsson, a former Literature teacher in a secondary school has today been named the nations 2nd Head Gothi. The father of three won a total of 41% of the vote from members of the Odinic Order, he beat Konrad Gulbrandsen into second place with 34% of the vote, while Tessan Victorsson received 25% of the vote. The new Head Gothi will be sworn in at the weekend in a ceremony attended by the nations various Gothi's and the Longhouse. Ulfsson was formerly the Gothi to a shrine of Tyr,  and worked as a secondary school teacher where he taught students aged between 11 and 18 Nordic Literature as well as providing education in the Uppsala Refugee Camps. He has also worked with the Union of Nordic People Theatre Company as a writer and orator.

Ulfsson held a party for his campaign team and voulenteers in the suburb of Malken in Krokom where he lived and taught. As news of the result came in he was carried around the block by his supporters on their shoulders before speaking to those gathered.

--- Quote from: Speech ---
I'd like to begin by thanking everyone who voted, regardless of who for, our nation was built through democracy and it is vital we keep that alive. I congratulate Konrad and Tessan on their fair and passionate campaigns and fully intend for them to take roles within my administration, they are both great nationalists who have much to offer the nation, and myself. I never professed to being a politician nor do I have all the answers, I believe my strength is knowing where to find answers and in the coming weeks we have many to find. I'd also like to thank my wife and children for allowing me to stand, I know their support will be vital in the coming five years.

Tomorrow once headaches are out the way work begins and there is much to do, our nation must begin to take new steps. Quiet rightly for a long period we have pulled together to support Uppsala, a city I now know well, it is getting back on its feet and we shall help it learn to walk, then run. We have relied upon the help of our friends, friends that we can never repay, from East Moreland, Achkaerin, Lodja, The Iwi and Himeyama, all nations who put men and women on the ground in difficult circumstances and saved many many lives. Additionally while no Ui Cennesliag boots touched Nordic soil they have provided shipping and supplies to those undertaking ground operations and for that we thank you. The time has come however for us to allow these men and women to return home, for after all they have families who will be missing them. I wish each and everyone of them a long and happy life surrounded by their loved ones.

Our nation can be one that joins these nations I have already mentioned in doing good, we have done it before, when pushed we entered Marseille to defend our homeland and support those brave enough to stand up for their rights. While we do not look for trouble we shall not stand by and watch others face it. While I understand there is a conference about the CTO taking place we will not take up that invite. Twice that organisation has burnt us and there shall not be a third time, instead we shall forge our own path separate to their carnage, that path may be alone, or through the CMA, that is not yet determined.

My first act as Head Gothi however shall be to ask our land registry to identify lands that are not being utilised. We have many Thanes in our nation who own estates since the 12th century. Today they use them merely to marvel at their beauty, while there is nothing wrong with admiring our nations outstanding landscape there is a need for the economy being boosted. As such any land that can be utilised will be seized from Thanes and offered to entraperneurs for a discount price. This will enable people to establish new businesses and create jobs, boosting our economy. Furthermore the money raised will be used to fund four mobile hospitals which will tour round remote areas of the nation, hopefully bringing world class health care to the doorstep of some of our more isolated citizens. It is my hope this can be achieved before the New Year.

Additionally I will be seeking a path for the Odinic Order to become the ultimate court of appeal. As in death we shall be subject to the will of the Gods, so shall we in life. Therefore it makes sense that those with the most theocratic understanding are the last arbiters of justice. This will take negotiation and research with the civil service to work out how this can be done in a fair manner, but I am sure it will be done.

May Odin watch over you, your mead be plentiful and your sword sharp.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version