Roleplay > International News Networks

Free Mundus

<< < (20/20)

Beatrice:

Can Kusan Be Blamed?

An oil refinery in Kusan following Rokkenjiman bombardment, 1949.
Can Kusan truly be blamed for its hatred of Rokkenjima and her allies, especially as the Anselmo regime did not take advantage for the chance of reconciliation with Kusan?

It is estimated that, during the Republican campaign upon Kusan, conventional weapons such as explosives, incendiary bombs and napalm destroyed roughly the entirety of Kusanese towns and cities including upwards of 85% of Kusanese buildings. Some 32,600 tons of napalm was dropped upon Kusan, killing indiscriminately between civilian and Kusanese official alike. With figures such as this, with some suggesting that the Rokkenjiman campaign against Kusan saw levels of destruction not realized beyond atomic bombings, can we really remain surprised that Kusan views a robust military as its only resort to ensure that Rokkenjima, and I would remind you that the Anselmo Crown has not renounced the violence against Kusan nor has it apologized, can we remain surprised that Kusan has transformed itself into a nation capable of inflicting untold horrors upon any nation that would tempt invasion or even mere intervention into its affairs?

Much is misunderstood about the so-called "hermit kingdom" that Ri Sang-Hee inherited following the concerns of her father that Ri Chŏng-jun was "wholly unfit for leadership....the bastard would lead us into wars which would prove capable of overwhelming the DPRK," he penned in his reported journal which is why, in 2023 on his deathbed, he anointed his daughter over her elder brother to continue the Ri dynasty in Kusan. The memories of Rokkenjima's attempted conquest in Kusan may have been overlooked in the history books of the Federal Republic and even the First Empire which displaced it, with even Empress Sutāraito posting an ill-informed meme against the Kusanese, almost rubbing salt into an open wound even, reigniting the flames of Rokkenjiman-Kusanese tensions when she could have instead taken the opportunity to apologize and recognize the crimes against Kusan by the Federal Republic. Instead she chose to ridicule Kusan and, in doing that, I feel she claimed the actions of the Federal Republic against the Democratic People's Republic as legitimate actions of Rokkenjima. This is an error I certainly hope she recovers from and recognizes that we, as Rokkenjimans, have harmed the Kusanese and does what no one before her has been capable of: normalizing relations and making up for past crimes.

Let no one be mistaken, we absolutely leveled Kusan under the Federal Republic and yet, somehow, they persisted. We hit all of our targets and yet we lost the war; Kusan lived to fight another day to become a satellite of Warsaw and, later, as a last voice or echo, if you will, of the Warsaw Pact. As they once again enter the public consciousness I would ask our readers, as a professor of history myself,  to put aside biases you might hold and to instead view Kusan as we did East Moreland when it ended its isolation all whilst looking in the mirror. Kusan doesn't hate Rokkenjima for being Rokkenjima, no. Kusan hates Rokkenjima because the Crown inherited, foolishly, the Republican ideas about Kusan and instead of cutting them from the soul of our nation, they instead doubled down. We created the enemy of Kusan, we fed it and raised it, and when we had the opportunity to bring an end to that and actually talk to them, we didn't. It's as simple as that; the demon is of our own creation."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version