Roleplay > War and Conflict

Djabidjan: Stained Borderlands

(1/3) > >>

paralipomena:

Ministry of Defense, Republic of Djabidjan

Minister Yoo Sung-soo looked for a last time the dossier on his table. A succinct title, "Detachment 135th", had been written on the cover of the folder. Yoo opened it for a last time.

It was briefly after he was appointed Minister of Defense when his predecessor General Park Si-woo, during a casual one-hour conversation, mentioned him for first time the existence of such dossier. Park had not recommended its implementation, an opinion that had convinced then President Shin to, at least, set aside this project.

Now, the circumstances were different. Under Min Tae-joon's presidency, and backed by recent developments, the project was again under consideration. His doubts, which were of a different nature than Park's, remained, but Yoo felt he was in a corner and had no option but to accept it.

He looked for his ministerial stamp, inside of one of the drawers, to a seven-page report he added to the dossier. Then, he called to his assistant to sent the dossier back to the White Tower.

A few days have passed when, in the same place, his secretary announced Yoo that Director Kim Sung-mo had arrived.

"Tell him to enter immediately", Yoo ordered.

"Yes, sir", the secretary replied.

Kim Sung-mo entered the room patiently, looking around as it was his habit, even at a room that he knew so well, as it was his own for a few weeks, after all.

"Welcome", Yoo said. "Let's sit on those armchairs", he added, pointing out at one corner of the room.

Kim nodded, rather satisfied, as General Park would rather keep his guests standing in front of his desk, no matter how much times the meeting may last.

"How do you see the current situation?", Yoo asked, while throwing on the top of the table a few reports that Kim was quite familiar with.

"The situation may be serious", Kim replied, "but it's in our hands to solve it. It's not such a serious threat, always that we act decisively".

"That's my feeling", Yoo replied. "They are not a scaring adversary, that's for sure...but after his week, I understand some people may be more concerned...What's your concern about the alleged infiltration?".

"It's a risk that has been highly exaggerated, I must say while being cautious", Kim coldly replied. "It is true that we have face some complications, but their urban element, while it seems to act unpredictably, does not posses a very serious threat. We were able to dismantle at least two of their cells, and the scope of the actions is highly limited. That's why they are trying to act big, in my opinion. But we're ready to hunt them".

"Wouldn't it be easier to decapitate them?", Yoo inquiried.

"Compared to the first epoch", Kim argued, "their operational organization seems highly divided in three groups: a firsts based in small and isolated cells, a territorial one mostly in the countryside, much more organized, and finally, their leadership which does not seem to be permanently based in the country".

"The last one should be a priority", Yoo said, "but our current emphasis should be to eliminate the second threat".

"I agree", Kim replied. "We, of course, are prepared to us all our methods and resources to hunt them, independently where they are found, but we'll try to assist you as much as we can. I have increased our resources in the south, but we're facing some obstacles on the local level".

"Yes, it is understandable", Yoo replied. "We're pressuring the cabinet so we can have new tools soon as well".

"Returning to the issue of the infiltration", Kim continued, "despite promises of the Catholic leadership, we have found information that in certain areas, religious organizations, even members of the clergy, are certainly suspicious of providing them with coverage, or at least openly sympathizing with their cause. We are ready to strike them as well, but we find some obstacles before we can do so".

"Yes, it's rather inconvenient", Yoo complained. "Right now, our hands are moderately tied up, you may say. Considering what's on the news this week, the cabinet wouldn't like if people would feel we're meddling in religious affairs. Just keep an eye on them".

"I understand", Kim replied. "But I'm also concerned that this operation will be rather in no man's land, in term of both logistics and organization".

"That was my concern, indeed", Yoo replied. "On the other hand, it is a bit convenient, if things do not move in the right direction. We will be forced to cooperate with Home Affairs while the logistics and the supervision will be on State Security's roof, but the training and operational organization will be still in our hands".

"How many people have been informed, minister?", Kim asked.

"Not more than ten, I'm told", Yoo replied, "counting the two gone foxes".

"I can see", Kim said. "It surely adds more risks in this whole affair".

"It should be manageable", Yoo replied. "That's why we need the State Department, not just to provide enough information, but to provide us information about the development of the operation. We can not allow new mistakes. For that, we need extra eyes".

"You can count in us, sir", Kim replied. "We're ready to move forward".

"I'm happy to hear that...", Yoo replied, "...I had no doubts. You can retire now. I'll provide you with more details when I have them".

"Yes, sir", Director Kim simply replied, leaving the room.

OOC: This RP is open to those interested, but keep in mind that some of the posts may describe confidential events or outside public knowledge. You can contact me for further details, of course.

paralipomena:
Camp Espwa Včt, Republic of Djabidjan

The helicopter landed, likely the first helicopter to land since the expansion of the military camp. Yoo looked around for a few seconds until his reception finally came.

"Good morning, Minister", Lietenant-Colonel Kim Ho-dong said.

"Nice to meet you, lieutenant-colonel", Yoo replied. "How is everything going?".

"As good as it can be, sir", Kim answered. "If you allow me, we'll show you the camp".

"Alright", Yoo replied.

"The camp is mostly divided in two sectors", Kim explained as they walked. "The first sector is the largest one. There, we have the barracks from those who are sent here, for example, as well as the main pavilion and the armery".

"I see", Yoo replied. "How many of them have you right now?".

"About 50", Kim answered, "maybe more. The first weeks, they mostly receive ideological training and some physical instruction. After some considertions, those who are promoted join the second sector".

"At least that will give us some choice on who ends there", Yoo said.

"Yes, sir", Kim replied. "Once they join the second sector, they will receive more operational training. Soon, they will be ready to serve. Most of them have military background, so it should not take too long".

"Indeed", Yoo added. "Have you a final decision about the first detachment?", he inquiried.

"It is still under consideration", Kim replied. "You may talk with Lieutenant Euh, who has been decided to lead the reconnoissance troop. They are mostly ready, I believe. For their role, as they are not thought to be directly involved in fighting, unless in critical situation, as well as with the local population, they will be the most diverse of the two".

"Yes, I can imagine", Yoo replied.

"We have already arrived to the second sector, sir", Kim added.

"Not bad", Yoo said while looking around. "Are you considering carefully the profiles for the other two?", the minister asked.

"Indeed, sir", Kim answered. "Besides the racial component, you may say, we're considering carefully considering the different tasks of both groups. As you are aware, the first one will be the infiltration one. We are considering that at least three, maybe four, of them are native speakers in the language, although that number may depend in the future, if the recluitment goes good enough, depending the province they are deployed. For the third group, the so-called hunting one, that may not be necessary, at least at first. In this case, this men come from the special forces or, in some cases, from the State Department as well".

"At first", Yoo said, "no mistakes are allowed. The choice should be done as careful as possible".

"Yes, sir", Kim replied. "Let me show you the installations in more detail if you're curious".

"Alright", Yoo replied.

paralipomena:

Report to the Ministry of Defense on Research regarding Detachment 125th
{Secret|Classified}
Report number: 00-A-1011-2022
Date: July 2022
Description of the document: Report to the Ministry of Defense on Scientific Security Program
Author: Lieutenant-Colonel Kim Ho-dong

SUMMARYFirst visit to Dr. Woo Il-sung's residency in Mokpsang province. Dr. Woo heads the technical team in the Scientific Security Program, assisgned by the Detachment 125th. Officer Lieutenant-Colonel Kim Ho-dong, along a military assistant to the mentioned Detachment 125th and an officer from the State Department of Military Operations. The delegation interviews the subject to assist him with the research as well to find out the current state of the logistlcs and needs of the program in its current stage. END OF THE SUMMARY.

As part of my duties as main supervisor from the Ministry of Defense of the Detachment 135th, I have visited Dr. Woo Il-sung new residency, who was appointed as technical director of the Scientific Security Program.

The meeting took place along Dr. Woo Il-sung's new residency located in B-137, Mokpsang province. I came with two assistant officers assigned to the Detachment 135th. Dr. Woo was alone at the moment of the meeting. The meeting was cordial and his morale seems high, although Dr. Woo seems concerned about his own security, particularly in relation we past news regarding terror attacks against one of the centers. We tried to provide assurances regarding the location of the home, in a both strategic and isolated place. Additional security staff may be required, if only to provide confidence about the subject's psychological concerns.

Dr. Woo Il-sung, who was previously professor of biological anthropology in a Djabidjan City state university, seems clearly enthusiastic about his role in the program. As it was reported previously, Dr. Woo's late grandfather, an uncle as well as his late brother served in the armed forces. His motivation can be described as both ideological and patriotic. While one late great uncle served three years in prison in the late 1960s for his illegal role in a Catholic subversive organization, I do not believe there can be doubts about Dr. Woo loyalty both to the state and his role in the program.

We visited the two labs that has been built in the basement of the house. Dr. Woo seems satisfied about them as they allowed to start some preliminary research, although he complained about the speed of some of the material needed, particularly regarding more rare materials that require to be imported. However, he seemed satisfied about our assurances about future imports. Obviously, the nature of the research in this location and circumstances will be highly limited, but they may provide some useful information and tools for our early operations, at least until the future complex is operative.

At our request, Woo described his first research, focused in the pollution of clothing, food, and water supplies. The implementation of this idea would not be too costly and logistics easy to provide. However, I have seriously doubts if such plan could be implemented in urban areas, it seems more workable for our forces in operation in rural and distant areas. The most recent research was focused in several toxins and their operational utility.

However, despite Mr. Woo's personal background, his lack of military formation and preparation seems to offer some limitations on the utility and implementation of some of the mentioned research. In one case, for example, the subject explained his last experiment, regarding toxin-ripped bullets. The idea could be described as modifying rifle and gun rounds which allows a cavity able to hold a toxin that requires to enter the body intravenously. He has reportedly tested this rounds in stray dogs and goats that our detachment provided him. The dogs required three days to die, even where provided medical assistance and the bullet removed, he explained us. This gave me the impression that Dr. Woo's creativity may be useful for our program, but his lack of military formation may not be always very operational, as the intended targets are more likely to die of the wounds from a common rifle or gun that from toxin poisoning.

Despite similar shortcomings, as the program advances to more advanced stages, once the technical and logistical circumstances are highly improved, as it is planned, the utility of the research may increase considerably. For the time being, I suggest that the Detachment should be focused in training and counterintelligence operations, at least until the program starts to bear fruits. In any case, I gave the order to the subject to provide me personally with biweekly reports on any advance in the current investigations. As the program advances to its second stage, I suggest that we recluit personnel with some kind of military or defense formation as Dr. Woo's assistants.

Signed: Lieutenant-Colonel Kim Ho-dong

paralipomena:

Luntaytuulo, Republic of Djabidjan

Their green and rather rusty jeeps suddenly stopped. Seven armed men, wearing irregular clothing and their faces covered descended from the cars. They entered a nearby corner shop without much hesitation.

"Don't move!", one of the armed men said, with a slightly southern accent. As it was relatively early in the morning, there were not many customers in the shop. Meanwhile, while another of the armed men pushed the customers and owners of the shop to the ground, another two of them were grabbing money from the cash register and products from the shelves into a large bag, quickly and almost randomly.

"Our people should now that our revolutionary tax is a godly duty!", one said in fluent Maadaanic language, even if irregular pronounciation.

One of the armed ones, who had not said a word, pointed out to one of the hostages, a teenage girl. After he did that, another of the armed men screamed at her, grabbing her by her shirt.

"No, allow to leave my daughter!", the shop's owner screamed. However, before he could barely stand up he was kicked in the face by another of the armed men.

The same assaulter who made the gesture toward the young gesture, the nodded his head. As he did this, most of the armed men positioned themselves toward the other hostages. A few seconds later, they opened fire.

As the finished, one of the armed men violently pushed the girl toward the deceased hostages. Before she could react, crying and covered in blood, although unharmed, one of the armed men screamed: "This is what happens to those who give the back to our people and our movement. Then he shouted, also in western Maadaanic language, an old religious slogan which was popularized recently.

The men left the shop, leaving the places in their jeeps.

"That improvisation was not required", one of the men said while their jeep was turning toward a secondary road outside Luntaytuulo, "but I won't complain".

"Thank you, sir!", he replaid. "I'll be more careful next time".

"Sir, isn't the place behind that forest?", the pilot asked.

"That's right", the man replied. "We have barely two hours to leave the department. Let's prepare everything as quickly as possible".

"Yes, sir", the pilot replied, trying to concentrate on the road while stepping on the accelerator.

paralipomena:
Vilajvčj Province

"These ashes are cold, captain", one of the men said, while examining the rests of a bonfire.

"That's what I thought", Captain Pak Chol-man said. "These are not permanent campaments. But rather to hide or launch their operations".

"Sighting of likely hostile forces moving toward the road toward, Nogsaemaeul", it sounded on the radio.

"Understood", Pak replied. "Continue the operation but avoid any contact".

"Yes, sir", it replied.

"They do not seem to be nearby but let's do this quickly", Pak ordered.

"Yes, sir", one mand replied.

"What have you found?", the captain asked.

"Not much", another soldier replied. "There are a few supplies and clothing, some of them clean and other dirty".

"Very well", Pak replied. "Let's try it. Scatter and spread it on the clothing and food. Don't forget to put your mask and the special gloves".

"Yes, sir", the soldier replied.

Pak, while remanining too unconvinced of such procedure, put in his mask to avoid any contamination.

"Before we leave", Pak ordered, "that tree seems the perfect place to put our camera, Jong".

"Yes, sir", Jong replied. "I'll do it immediately".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version