Roleplay > War and Conflict

Under Crimson Skies

<< < (2/4) > >>

DaveIronside:
The red phone sat on a desk might be a movie metaphor but in East Moreland there was in fact a version of it, only in keeping with the decor of King's David office it wasn't red, it was a lovely shade of silver. It was one of two that sat on his desk, the one on the left a vintage black phone and the right identical in design just sprayed silver. The left one rang several times a day allowing the King to speak with a variety of aides, ministers and those put on by his Head of Household Quinn Germaine. The silver phone though only five people had access to, the heads of each of the Armed Forces, the head of Red Legion and the Head of National Intelligence. It rang rarely and David thought that was good. He was always nervous to pick it up and today was no different. "Hello" he said timidly wondering what news it brought.

"Your Majesty its Mason Franklin" the Head of Intelligence probably meant something less worrying than the military being on the line. "I'm sorry to inform you that about five minutes ago we begin picking up chatter about Rokkenjiman aircraft taking down a Daito maritime patrol ship. Moments later we got a retaliation. We're still crunching numbers and investigating but it would appear that their spat over the island has gone off."

"We talking war or just hot tempers?" David asked.

"Hard to say at the moment, we've a few theories ranging from miscommunications to worst case people acting on Ofdensen's say so. We know he had fingers in Rokkenjima's intelligence agency who knows how far his tentacles go"

"Quinn" David yelled through to his outer office where Quinn worked. She appeared in the Kings office almost immediatly having heard the phone ring and knowing it had to have been the "special" phone as it bypassed her. She suspected she'd be called in and now with a notepad in one hand and a pen in the other she waited. "Get the military chiefs in, I think Redferns in town if so get him here, also get the current officer of the day in." Quinn nodded, still writing in her pad, and headed towards the door. David meanwhile went back to his call. "You hear that?" He asked Mason who confirmed he had, "Excellent get someone over here, looks like its a session in the underground volcano lair.

It took an hour to get everyone assembled, Redfern was away in Dal Raitha preparing for their referendum but otherwise everyone he had asked for was here. "Any updates" the King asked.

"A few" Mason Franklin spun out packs of information to each of those around the room. "We've been able to confirm the number and types shot down on both sides, we've also seen the Super-Eye satellite tasked to view the area so we expect more detail to follow." Each person took time to read the folder before the King tossed his angrily back at the table.

"I'm proposing the following and anyone tell me why its a bad idea when I'm done." David began. "Rokkenjima are either spoiling for a fight, which is bad news, or there is an impending internal conflict, probably between crown and Ofdensen. Either way I'm expecting trouble as Ofdenson has said some rather worrying things about us. Therefore I want Rokkenjima treated as potentially hostile. I want actual guards on their embassy and rapid response team on Embassy Row. All East Moreland assets globally are to assume Rokkenjiman assets are hostile but not to fire unless clearly either fired upon or about to be. Anything else."

"I'd suggest getting the Maori on the phone, if Ofdensen is anti CNN then they're the closest. Maybe send a squadron or two out there to support them if needed."    Air Commodore Edward Briggs addressed the room.

"Anything else" David checked the table.

"Send a squadron of Red Legion in too if The Iwi will have them, means if we need to move quickly then we can shift them around." Jim Corey, the commander of Red Legion suggested and just like that David agreed. A few more discussions and soon things were beginning to move.

Achkaerin:
Round Table Conference meetings were nothing new for Serenity but she was used to playing a more observational role, this time she was the shot caller. Stepping into the room after a rather interesting conversation with her aunt, the Crown Princess took her seat at the table and took a deep breath "Mrs Wall." she said
"Your Highness" Sophie Wall said standing in front of the rooms large wall screen which was displaying an image of the Tokara Islands "The Tokara islands, source of a dispute between Rokkenjima and Daito for decades, not been a major issue for a while. At 6:16 VMT today two Rokkenjiman RK-80 fighters shot down a Daito Q-6 maritime patrol aircraft over these islands, the RK-80's were in turn engaged by Daito J-7 jets. The problem is further Rokkenjiman jets were scrambled toward the intercept zone."
"Making it appear that Rokkenjiman reinforcements were on the way." Serenity said "What does Rokkenjima say?"
"According to what Daito have informed us about Rokkenjima say the two RK-80's went rogue." Sophie said
"Do we believe that?" Serenity asked
"Your Highness." Sally Barkley the head of Achkaerinese Intelligence said "Given Charles Ofdensen has managed to compromise Rokkenjiman Intelligence to the point of gutting multiple agencies it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he's got some level of influence within the Rokkenjiman military and let's add in Remei-9 and the Peniche Irift test, I'm concerned about how far that influence goes however the present problem is..."
"It matters not what we believe but what we can prove." Robert Westbrooke, the Attorney General, said "And we can't prove this is Charles even though it's a nailed on certainty."
"Which legally leaves us where?" Nettie Taylor asked
"No proof Charles initiated this puts Kyoko and Rowe on the hook for it." Robert said "You were Premier you know the chain of command in Rokkenjima, the Premier isn't there."
"Your Highness." General Kakashi Fuji said, he was appearing via video link from Gowu "I have the honour of having worked with both Henry Cole and Alex Rowe I don't think this comes from them. This smacks of a much more serious problem than a territorial dispute, if Ofdensen can initiate this when he's not supposed to be within the chain of command then what else can he do? I do not believe that Pyrena currently has control over the Rokkenjiman military."
"Adam?" Serenity said looking at the Minister of Defence Adam Sheppard
"Safety requires we treat this as Rokkenjiman armed attack against Daito" Adam said "If this is Charles then he's just fired the first shot of a war. I recommend treating all Rokkenjiman assets as hostile. It doesn't matter what Pyrena says if I'm a ship CO I have no means to know whether a Rokkenjiman ship is commanded by a Sophia Forrester or an Admiral Kisho. So I have to assume a threat."
"That raises a couple of thorny problems." Simon said looking at his sister "The Azukishima and QCMB."
"We tried containing Charles, that is no longer viable." Sophie said "We're ready to sunstrike our embassy in Rokkenjima and our Antares base."

Serenity stretched out for a moment mulling over her options "Ok here's what we do." she said "Sophie sunstrike the embassy and Antares. Adam I want countermeasures to hinder Rokkenjima's military capability figured out. Nettie get on the phone to Emerson, that group of ships led by the IRN Enterprise has twenty four hours to move towards Gowu if they have any intention of keeping Kyoko safe, after that every Rokkenjiman asset will be considered hostile. The ships stationed at Antares head for the Tokara islands, let's deter any Rokkenjiman follow up, make sure Daito knows those ships are coming." she paused looking around the table "If this is Charles and we're fairly confident it is by the sound of things, then he just fired the first shot of the third patriotic war. He does not get to win, the game remains the same - get ahead of him and stop what he has planned before he brings the whole house of cards crumbling down."

Daitō:
Somewhere just off the coast of Daitō
16 January, 2023
2019 Hours
   The hulking L-16 Suzume travelled along the Daitōjin coast, mimicking a typical flight-path for any aircraft travelling from Tenkyō to the Tokara Islands. Officially, it was out "transporting standard heavy-duty equipment to the Islands", but in truth, its payload was anything but standard. The aircraft was carrying five pallets—a key component in the Kaisoku Ryū missile system—which together had forty-five JASSM-XR cruise missiles. They were the sort of low-observable missiles which you would use if you didn't want the attack being detected ahead of time. Just an L-5 with a single pallet of six missiles would be necessary to sink a carrier under the best of circumstances, or to deal a knock-out blow to an airfield if needed. This mission, however, would require far, far more than that, and thus, a larger aircraft.

Over the coast of Kikai Prefecture, with the lights of the distant Shinkyō metropolis in view, the lumbering aircraft shifted course away from its previous flight-path, heading instead for Awara. Its crew broadcasted a message, claiming that they were low on fuel and would need to land there instead, but this was a lie. Officially sanctioned, so the proper authorities played along, but still, it seemed odd for the crew, knowing that they would be firing the first Daitōjin salvo of the Second Great East Ardian War, their target, rather innocuously, being communications sites and power plants. After all, the first day would be spent targeting primarily the Rokkenjiman Military's ability to effectively communicate amongst itself and to organize an effective response.

A few minutes prior to zero hour, as the aircraft neared Awara, its loadmasters made the final checks on their strike package. Then, its large rear door opened, and the first pallet was away, followed by the second, then the third, and so on until all of them were out, dragging their parachutes with them.
   "Good chutes... Sensors are good, missiles are armed... And we are... away." The aircraft's co-pilot said as the aircraft banked into a left turn, heading for refueling. In but a few minutes, the missiles would reach their targets, and then they were in business. This was but one such strike of many going on roughly at the same time, from aircraft deployed out of various air force bases on the mainland and on Tsukishima. Furthermore, numerous Tomahawk missiles would be launched off various surface ships, their targets likewise communications and electrical equipment.Somewhere in the Skies over Pyrettania
16 January, 2023
   The pair of P-3 Yajirushi stealth bombers slowly approached, roughly 15 km above the city of Pyrettania, which had settled in for a long night. And indeed it would be long, sleepless for many, but such was life, and such was war. It was a shame to see such a beautiful town on the list, Jirō thought as he steered the plane, his mission commander waiting to deploy their payload. Their objective was to hit key communications infrastructure in the city, hindering Rokkenjima's ability to coordinate its air defense sites around the country. One of the major targets was Rokkenjima's Ministry of Defense Building, through which a significant percentage of military comms traffic was routed. For the sake of the assault in the coming hours, this attack needed to succeed; it was a high risk, not because of any particular difficulty, but because of the price a single P-3 carried with it. As the minutes counted down to Zero Hour, the P-3's mission commander placed his finger over the trigger, awaiting the chance to drop their payload: 26 JSOW glide bombs, each pre-programmed with the coordinates of a given target, be it a power station or communications equipment. If these two aircraft didn't accomplish the mission, then the missiles launched by CSG 3 from the Dauntel would. 10:40 PM. Zero Hour. With a pull on the trigger, the bombs were away. Now, it was time to flee the area.Near the Daitōjin-Rokkenjiman Border
16 January, 2023
   As Zero Hour neared, a two flights comprising four GH-28 Hoyau attack helicopters and 1 MH-31Ka Nurarihyon multi-mission helicopter flew just above the surface, heading east. Their call-sign was Taskforce "Shinohara", and their job was to sneak up on and destroy two key enemy radar positions near the border, which would cut a vital gap in Rokkenjima's radar coverage, through which Daitōjin and any allied aircraft based in Daitō could stream through to hit their targets. A few minutes prior, guided by E-2, E-3, and E-4 AEW&C aircraft which were orbiting relatively near to the border, they passed under swarms of friendly aircraft comprising the Imperial Daitōjin Air Force. By now, aerial tankers were undoubtedly refueling this enormous first striking force, which was waiting upon them to complete their mission.

While the first shots of the war had already been fired, it would be the Imperial Daitōjin Army which would make the first shots to explode during Operation "Phantom Fury". By just a few seconds early, the two flights reached their targets, forming a rows, four abreast, from which they could rain down death and destruction. Then, at precisely 10:40 PM and seemingly unnoticed, the time had come. The Hoyaus fired off their AGM-114 Hellfire missiles upon the sites, first aiming for power generators then following it by firing more missiles and unguided rockets at their radar dishes, command vehicles, and command equipment. As they moved closer, the helicopters engaged whatever was left standing with their 30mm cannons, cutting a swathe into Rokkenjima. With their mission now complete, they turned back as Daitōjin and allied aircraft screamed overhead, using the opening to begin the air campaign. The war had begun.

Beatrice:
The missiles would meet the triple-layered Rokkenjiman missile defense system, which would allow one missile to go through as it was striking a target which the Imperial Rokkenjiman Armed Forces designated as being under the influence of Ofdensen anyway.
The Hoyaus would find themselves engaged by Rokkenjiman RK80s, countering the helicopters ability to conduct operations in Rokkenjiman airspace. They would either be repelled or shot down, depending upon how stubborn their pilots were.
After communications with Abstergo which gave Rowe a fairly certain idea where Ofdensen was he gave the call. Despite the costs of the operation, the go-ahead was given for IRN Saisei to fire upon Exuperia Palace, where Charles had taken up residence. Five Tomahawk cruise missiles would set forth through the air from the Rokkenjima Sea and obliterate what had once been a residence of the Anselmo Family, hours later it would be confirmed via dental records that Charles had been killed in the operation.
OOC: I am not recognizing any actions against Pyrettania.

Achkaerin:
OOC - I’m not recognising any action against Charles that was not consulted about, you knew there was a plan. You do not change it without check8ng with me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version