Roleplay > History

[Canon Building] Historical and Cultural Connections Megathread

(1/3) > >>

Gadshack:
History and Culture of Mundus
Getting Out of the Bubble
This Historical and Cultural Connections Megathread provides a worldbuilding space for people to interconnect their nation's historically and culturally in ways that make sense. Having fleshed out history and unique cultures, that have seamlessly adapted to eachother provides content that enables more depth and nuance to our fictional little nations, and it gives a ton of historical context to how are nation's are today, providing more Roleplay opportunities in which we can base storylines on. This makes the world more cohesive and gives a clear picture of what RP can be pursued and how things can built/adapted.

To have everyone on the same page, there will be a roughly historical outline following a series of world impacting events.

The Birth of Civilization: where did it take place

Ancient Empires, Kingdoms, People and Migrations: empires and others akin to rome, and the mass of human migrations, this period on Mundus can be more or less considered a more pastoral time.

The rise of Ardia: an Empire which rose and nearly conquered the world at one point, rival empires included the Rus Empire, Quywe and more.

The collapse of Ardia: a world impacting event, made possible  by a series of wars, rebellion and stagnate traditions/lack of technological recognition of the weathering empire.

The Great War/World War: there is only reason to have one world war on Mundus and that's with the crumbling of the Ardian Empire. This is alos a time of collapse for the Quywe, Rus and other empires as revolution and dissent reaches wide. A series of wars fueled by Ethnic tensions, political revolution and economic collapse would spark, known collectively as the Great War or Wars.

Rise of Modern Nation States: Many nations we see today whether they were part of the empires or not finally come to fruition, vying for power, peace and wealth. The invention of nuclear weapons throws the world into cold war of competing blocs, most prevalent being Rodina, amassing a world wide communist revolution.

These pivotal points are a jumping off point to cooperate with others and expand into untouched eras. Remember, no nation lives in a bubble, events and history affects it, in turn this provides sensible modern RP. Cultural connections are important as well, it defines history, such as our version of "westernization" which would likely be "Ardianization" and how our people's interacted and adapted to eachother, language wise, custom wise, ethnically, and so on.

Achkaerin:
Re the Great War, having today written up the Rodina factbook the Rus Empire for histories to work is already gone at that point I have the collapse of the Rus Empire in 1760 in a Communist revolution which then spreads to Kaitaine in the 1800's given that the Rus Empire has little relevance to the current RP it's fairer to collapse that earlier than ask people to rework established histories. This also coincidentally helps the war period a little in that it allows the possibility of Abydos having an empire and being a more prominent player which is good because that's the nation that's getting the bomb dropped on it at the end of it.

I'd also like to suggest that the period run from 1913 - 1945 with the trigger for the war being Sutherland's successful revolution against the Ardian's as that can spark other uprisings in the area and force conflict. I'll leave the Horn to the peeps who are there because they've already got things well advanced.

Lakhzovia:
I've left the history of Rhand relatively vague in order to make it easier to adapt to projects such as this.

Basically it was a client kingdom of the Ardian Empire and has been in a total mess since the empire's collapse - whenever that happened.

Norgeras:
for the Ancient empires we need something roman after all, i think Achkaerin, myself and several others have mentions of it.

My intention for them was that they had a little Border City and some outposts in my Territory that crumbled away in the end when it became to expensive to keep them up. Mostly still worshiping a Greek-roman Pantheon when they pulled out of my Area, ruled by an Emperor at the Time.

later my Area was supposedly never part of any bigger nation and only small bits and pieces that mostly hated on each other until my current iteration established itself.

For the world war, so far i had intended for my People to still be telling the rest of the world to stick it where the sun doesn't shine at that point in time, so they would have been hostile to anyone trying to cross the borders. unless there is some mayor need for their involvement i don't see them partaking.

Though maybe i might retcon the Mermaids first appearance further back in time to match with the World-War, thus i would have had a bunch of Female Mercenaries hanging around.

The Young Pope:
I've been looking for a causus belli as to why ES joined the war; Sutherland at the time of their revolution against the Ardians were and are Catholics, perhaps the most probably reason for simply aiding one's christian brothers could be justified and aid in the fight against imperial oppressors?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version