Author Topic: Tamoran involvement in Merina  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
Tamoran involvement in Merina
« on: June 04, 2020, 06:41:35 PM »

Colonel Jamadar, commander of the Tamoran troops in Merina

The Tamoran troops had been deployed to Merina for a few weeks now. Two thousand men, some of them veterans from the Clysperis civil war, one squadron of SU 35 and anti-aircraft were all under the command of Colonel Jamadar.

Spoiler:  Tamoran contingent in Merina • show

Army Contingent

Air Contingent
1 x A-50E
12 x Ka-50
12 x Su-34
24 x Su-35
1x  Il-78

His orders were clear, he was to make his presence known in Merina so that other foreign powers would be reluctant to actively engage in Merina and also to help President Nguessa win the war. The latter seemed like a too distant target to achieve but for now he had to make sure the Merinan army would benefit from the training, consultation and satellite support Tamora was providing. The other part was to decide where to commit his troops. The Merinan army where fighting on all sides and he decided that concentrating his forces to support the Merinan army against the National Liberation Army would be the best move.

Colonel Jamadar was of the opinion that focusing only on those aspects would not be enough. Strengthening the Merinan army by training, equipment and troop support would only get the government army so far. No, he needed to weaken the other factions. Djerb was handling the easy part, the online war, his intelligence officers would need to actually do the work on the ground. He was having the third meeting on the subject and he wasn't pleased with the results so he was raising his tone at this men:

"It seems I need to repeat myself. Do not tell me all of them are loyal and willing to die for their warlords. There are plenty who hate their warlords as much as they hate Nguessa. Find a way to get to them and offer them our cooperation if they turn sides or even if they just give us precious info regarding their weaknesses. If they want money, give it to them. If they want prestige tell me and I'll make sure Djerb gives them some honorific title and some cushy job. If they have families tell them we'll see to it that they never have to work a day in their entire lives.

Dismissed."

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: Tamoran involvement in Merina
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 06:42:05 PM »
One of the major issues Colonel Jamadar had to deal with was Nguessa’s lack of popularity. People didn't like him and for good reason. Djerb's online efforts meant to paint him as the rational choice and the best option out of a series of bad ones could only go so far. People needed to see change in their lives or at least change enough that could later be used to promote the idea that things were improving in Merina. Colonel Jamadar was briefed on the situation of the refugees:

"The situation of the refugees is not good. Many have fled the country already to Marseilles and Aosta while others are still stuck in refugees centers in various parts of the country,  some of which are in the areas controlled by the government. To make matters worse there is banditry in areas that are virtually lawless as no faction has control “ said one of the Tamoran intelligence officers.

Colonel Jamadar then issued his orders:

“We first need to address the refugees in those camps that are under the protection of the government. Nguessa has so be seen as doing its job in order to justify that it is not just a faction fighting for control but the legitimate government. Have our NGOs start bringing in supplies and medical staff at the refugee centers as soon as possible. I will contact Djerb and ask them to do the same in Marseilles and Aosta.

Then we need to get in touch with the bandits. Some of them we can reason with and move them on our paylist. They can't be making that much from stealing. I want them to become our guys on the ground, protecting the areas instead of looting them. Nguessa needs more allies, they would be a start. Especially if those who might be interested to defect from other factions see how we treat our new allies.

Thirdly, I want our NGOs to attempt to recruit in the refugees centers. We would train and equip them. Having an extra paramilitary organization could come in handy in the future but more importantly I'd rather have them fighting for us then see them be potentially be recruited by others. "

"I don't know how many would be willing to fight for Nguessa' said one of the intelligence officers. 

"I am not hoping to appeal to their love of country but rather to the idea that they would be earning a good wage, one that would allow their families to live a decent life in the refugee camps. Especially since our NGOs would be there, they could give their families priority care if they join us. I want to see more people have a stake in Nguessa winning this war.

Dismissed."

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 08:13:43 PM »
Since the Tamoran forces arrived in Merina, they’ve been actively fighting two wars, the standard one for the physical control of the country and the propaganda war for the soul of the country. “There is no point in having Nguessa win the war if he loses control of the country almost immediately due to his unpopularity” is what Colonel Jamadar always told his intelligence officers during his briefings with them. So they were trying to find and recruit allies for president Nguessa. For now it was refugees at the camps, bandits and potential deserters. He now needed to step up the game. He had his intelligence officers compile a report about the situation on the ground in the major cities under Nguessa’s control and was being briefed about it:

Intel officer (IO): “The general picture is bleak, high unemployment, widespread poverty and corruption of officials and little economic activity. The people have a lot of time on their hands and nothing to do. That makes them susceptible to wrong ideas and desperate. “   
Colonel Jamadar(CJ):  “We need to keep them busy, give them something to do. Would they be willing to join Nguessa’s forces?”
IO:  “Not in a million years, and they are the kind of people that even if they did join you wouldn’t want them near your troops. They would be a liability. Our suggestion was something different, we would like to start paying some of them each day to distribute propaganda and organize cells. Ideally each guy would be responsible for ten other men. It would be a pyramid structure with two or three layers in each major city. “
CJ: “Go on.”
IO: “It would keep them busy spreading rumors, fliers maybe even do some community work to help the locals repair some of their houses. “
CJ: “And how would they be linked with Nguessa’s image so it reflects good on him?”
IO: “We organize them into an informal volunteer corps, we can call it Merina Unity Front or some other name. They go around saying they represent Nguessa, do community work, talk well about him or at least bad about his rivals. People will see that if you are on Nguessa’s side you get paid and the community improves. They will also start fearing that if he loses then they also lose that income. “
CJ: “I like it, go on”.
IO: “The other issue is education, less and less children are attending schools. While we don’t perfect data, there are definitely problems in some areas of the major cities. We would like to start paying the parents to send their children to school and we hope to have the “volunteers” from the soon to be establish Merina Unity Front teach at least an hour a week some “civic education” to the students, to explain to them what the stakes of the war are, who are the good guys etc. We expect the local authorities to be reluctant at first but some bribes should help them see our way. ” 
CJ:” I like it, begin immediately. I also want to have a meeting with one of the mayors or Prophet knows who runs their cities. I want to know what their problems are and how can we help. So see to it that you get me in touch with one that is friendly and talkative. “

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
  • Here we go again, baby!
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Republic of Kaedwen // The Commonwealth of Merina
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 10:39:04 AM »
Marshal of Merina Alium Deumi; MNAF Southeast Command Headquarters, N'gal Tsata, Merina

The Merinan National Armed Forces Southeast Command - the formation in charge of the critical campaign in Pindar - was headquartered in the city of N'gal Tsata, just beyond the heartlands of Pindar proper. Even in February, it was hot here, though not as bitingly arid as up in the highlands, a relief in many ways even if the more humid climate brought with it a preponderance of mosquitoes. The town had not, all things considered, been overly ravaged by the years of war, though its character had nonetheless been changed by the conflict; as the major supply hub for the Merinan armies in Pindar, many of the sons drafted into the Commonwealth's service had found themselves replaced by rear-echelon supply troops. While these men had brought a much-needed boost to the local economy, much of this had been directed into the black market, with various military supplies now circulating as contraband amongst the civilian population. In return, the locals had turned to meet the needs of the soldiers - prostitution, drugs and gambling were all through the roof - much to the chagrin of the local constabulary, who much of the time found their needs subordinated to those of the army.

Little of this surrounding iniquity infiltrated the headquarters complex itself - the officers, at least, retained the dignity to keep their mistresses off-base - and the handsome stone-clad main building retained its turn-of-the-century sense of grandeur. The place was located a few miles to the east of the city proper, amidst the outermost and most affluent suburbs. Originally built as an Officers' training college, it offered generous facilities and accommodations for the MNAF staff and soldiers more accustomed to life in the field, including several acres of semi-wild parkland and an improvised golf course. Returning from a visit to the front, Marshal Deumi, Merina's foremost soldier - if one was to overlook the presidency - had invited the commander of the Tamoran forces in Merina, Colonel Jamadar, to an informal meeting to discuss the current state of affairs. Though Alium did not precisely consider the relationship with his Tamoran counterpart a close one, they had enjoyed an amiable working partnership in the Tamoran's eight months in the country so far.

The Marshal was in his little, borrowed, office when the gatehouse called to inform him the Colonel was on the way. The space was a drab affair, maps each of Merina and Pindar on the walls, along with a relatively modest Merinan tricolour. Rather hopefully, a bag of golf clubs had been tactfully positioned by the door. There was an apprehensive knock.

"Enter" Alium called, stiffly. The door came open a little, revealing a well turned-out young man clad in possibly the only ironed uniform in MNAF southeast.

"Colonel Jamadar to see you, sir" The youngster informed him, curiously, the effect of his snappy salute somewhat diluted by banging his elbow, loudly, on the door frame.

"Thank-you, Corporal" Alium smiled, paternalistically "Are you alright, son?"

"Yes, sir, thank-you sir, sorry sir" The soldier stammered, clearly embarrassed "Um, should I ask the Colonel to wait, sir?"

"That's quite alright, bring him through now, if you could please. And put the kettle on while you're at it, there's a good lad"

"Sir" The Corporal saluted again, taking more care of his surroundings this time, before disappearing again. Momentarily, the Tamoran visitor was ushered into the office.

"It is good to see you again, Mister Jamadar" The Marshal smiled, standing to shake hands "I do hope the journey wasn't too demanding? Please, do take a seat" He gestured to a little wooden stool, similar to the one he hislef was seated upon "Could we provision you with tea? Coffee? Some nibbles, maybe?"

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 06:47:48 AM »
As Colonel Jamadar made his way to the office of Marshal of Merina Alium Deumi he couldn’t help but remember how optimist Djerb was when it ordered his deployment. The initial estimates were that his deployment won’t last more than 6 months and yet here he was more than 8 months into it and it seemed that a stable Merina was nowhere in sight. Still progress was made and more importantly Olumbe Nguessa’s government had not fallen which meant main objective was achieved. It also gave Colonel Jamadar and his forces the time to try and prop up some support for Olumbe Nguessa. How successful were their efforts was something harder to asses.

Now he would be meeting again with Marshal of Merina Alium Deumi. In the eight months he spent in Merina they worked reasonably well together this was all he could have hoped for. Also, despite both of them being in the military they agreed to not use rank (ooc: hope that part is ok):

“It is good to see you too Mr. Deumi.”

“Tea would be fine” he said while taking a seat and discretely observing the room. He noticed and appreciated to see the Merinan flag through he found it to be a bit too modest for his taste and compared with the Tamoran flag he had in his office.

He waited for the Marshel to begin. He knew that the ceasefire would soon be over and he expected that to be among the topics of the day.

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
  • Here we go again, baby!
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Republic of Kaedwen // The Commonwealth of Merina
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 10:58:53 PM »
Marshal of Merina Alium Deumi; MNAF Southeast Command Headquarters, N'gal Tsata, Merina

"Then tea it shall be" Alium smiled, before raising his voice to address the hapless secretary "Two teas, if you could, Corporal Juma!"

"Sir!" The faint reply echoed from the far side of the door, followed by the distinct sound of combat boots coming to attention on the hard floor outside.

"And bring the sugar, there's a good man" The Marshal called, almost as an afterthought "And the milk, please, lad. The good milk!"

This vital business attended to, Alium shuffled a handful of wayward papers across the little desk to make some space, dropping his crimson beret on top of the small stack he'd formed to keep them in line. The tea would be with them shortly, served from the old college's finest and least battle-damaged cups. The 'good' milk - as opposed to the 'bad' milk which was, if not quite in the realm of cheese, at least some kind of yogurt - was goat's, and he found he suddenly couldn't recall weather his guest enjoyed this or not. Well, he thought to himself, one way to find out.

"Right ho" Alium smiled to his guest, settling down to business "Have the field reports been getting through to you? The Pindar Valley ones, at least? Apologies if not, I do despair at the quality of some of these staff officers out here! There's a few bits and pieces I'd like to pick your brain over, if you wouldn't mind? A couple of things about what we've got on now, and maybe have a little think going forwards? Qandaris will fall soon enough, of that I've every confidence, though keeping the sector quiet going forward will be more of an issue, I fear. While we can spare the men and munitions for the fight, the dushmen" - a colloquial term for the Pindari Fedayeen fighters, from the local word for 'enemy' - "Have been little able to resist. Where our advance has been stalled, they have paid dearly in blood for the privilege, though they seem to be wising up to this, in my opinion. But once the ceasefire lapses many of the units here now will need to be reassigned to other fronts, the regular troops especially, and the balance again will change..."

Brooding for a second, he changed tack "How are your men? I trust they are well accommodated? I would not presume what you've been instructed from" An eyebrow was raised, conspiratorially, for a heartbeat "Higher up, though your forces could be indispensable in winning some breathing room in Pindar. Tamoran air power, in particular, is light years ahead of our own. Don't fret, I have no intention of wasting you boys' lives chasing insurgents. Shock and awe, that is what we need now. A short, sharp blow to carve open their defenses and bring Ike Ezana to the negotiating table. Olumbe[1] is hopeful we can buy him, or at least keep the bastard quiet, with some political concessions - more autonomy for Pindar within the Commonwealth, that sort of thing - so we can neutralise the Pindaris as a threat for the time being. I am... more cautious in my optimism. Even if we did get the man onboard, there would be no guarantee the Fedayeen would follow him, as the little fiasco in Gaia unfortunately illustrated. Though, maybe I'm just a cynical old soldier. What're your thoughts on the proposition? Don't suppose you've any of that famous Tamoran wisdom on tap, eh?"

1. Merinan President Olumbe Nguessa

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 11:52:26 AM »
Colonel Jamadar smiled at the Tamoran wisdom reference and replied: “I think our wisdom is more related to the fact that we know how to pick the right friends and then be consistent and dependable in our relations with them more than anything else”.

“As for Pindar, I think we need to keep our eyes on the bigger picture. As much as I hate it we must also consider the diplomatic aspects and third parties like the Council of Albion countries. How the President will handle Pindar will be watched by the other rebel factions as well as the international community. If President can get the rebel Ike Ezana to agree to a compromise then that would send a signal to the other factions that the President has momentum on his side and that he can now focus his energy and resources on them. But they would also see that he is a man willing to listen and with whom they could reach a compromise just as Ike Ezana. Depending on how the President plays this he can send signals to the other rebel factions that those who come now to the negotiating table might get a better deal than those that resist and wait for later. As for the Council of Albion, I believe a compromise with Ike Ezana  would put the President in a stronger position in making the case that there's only one Merinan government with all others as rebels.  They probably still won’t accept it but it would be harder for them to continue with the current approach.”

“I know the Fedayeen less than you and I share your opinion that it is unlikely that they would put down their arms, let alone all of them. But from a strategic point of view that might be in the President’s best interest. Without their leader backing them the Fedayeen are clearly terrorists and they should be recognized as so by the international community. Second, as long as they are active the President can use them as an excuse to postpone elections until such a time he deems it is a good time to hold them. "

Colonel Jamadar  stopped for a few moments to try the tea: "The tea is great, thank you " he then resumed.

"So a shock and awe campaign is something I would support and I believe Djerb would authorize. My men are ready and you can count on us."

He then proceeded to also try the milk. "It is indeed good milk" he said not wishing to disappoint the host.

"There is also something I want to ask you. What is your feeling regarding the President’s support among the population. I understand it's not exactly a time for polls but what is your impression from what you have gathered? " the support President Olumbe Nguessa  had among its people was one area that Djerb was most interested about and Colonel Jamadar  was interested in knowing as much as possible about it.