Author Topic: CNN Technology Expo 2018 - Exhibition Hall  (Read 1776 times)

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
CNN Technology Expo 2018 - Exhibition Hall
« on: December 12, 2018, 10:05:42 PM »

The Technology City Exhibition Centre (TCEC) was already full of people when King David arrived accompanied by his Science and Technology Minister Olivia Cole there was already a huge crowd waiting to get inside, a mix of professionals, scientists and just bog standard nerds interested in what was going to be on show. The mayor of Technology City stood waiting for them and presented the King with an ornate set of scissors. The pair exchanged some pleasantries and then the King cut the ribbon declaring the show open. Inside the various exhibitors stood waiting and the King spent about an hour along with Olivia looking around the stalls. Some such as EMAC and SmartWar he made a point of allowing the media to have a few photos of him examining their stalls or handling their products. While they may be privately owned he knew how significant they were to the nations economy and prestige and so what little he could do  to help them he would. As he was examining some gadget from the East Moreland Rifle Company his Head of Household Quinn Germaine whispered quietly to him that it was time for the presentations to begin and so David handed the gadget back and headed into the backstage area of the hall.

Eventually it was time and he was motioned onto the stage as he was introduced by Oliva. "Ladies and Gentleman" the King began having first adjusted the microphone, "I'd like to welcome you all to what we hope will become the first of many CNN Technology Expo's. The CNN was formed just over a year ago with the intention of four nations who had formed a deep friendship working together for the betterment of all their people. This friendship has allowed many interesting projects to go ahead and it is our hope that by giving the greatest minds from each nation a chance to see what others are doing they will be inspired to either work together or push on to even greater endeavours. When we planned this we thought then why not invite everyone else, the world lacks any show such as this and the chance for the CNN to showcase to the world what we have gives our companies great oppurtunities, meanwhile there will be Morelander companies for example who will see the benefits of the ideas from nations such as Ackhaerin who are attending. This event may have the name CNN but we wish the world to be more connected and this is the first of many steps towards doing that. Over the next few days I hope many beneficial deals are done for all parties, new groundbreaking projects put into motion and interesting things learnt. With that said I have the honour of introducing the first of the many presentations taking place over the next few days. Please welcome (insert name of first speaker) of (insert name of company)."

OOC - Just like the Chapterhouse lectures anyone who wishes is free to post their talk below and then I'll open a Q&A session for them. There is no set running order, just wait for me to introduce the next people.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Agira Latina
Re: CNN Technology Expo 2018 - Exhibition Hall
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 10:54:20 PM »
Peter Simod of Zenith Data Systems made his way onto the stage accompanied by a young man in his twenties, behind them a car was introduced to the stage.

"Thank you Your Majesty for the introduction. My name is Peter and I'm the CEO of a rather small company from Bakkermaya called Zenith Data Systems, we started off under my father repairing computers and now I believe we are at the forefront of some unique developments. We are here today to present what we are calling the Human Hacking Project and what may sound rather fancy is actually very very simple. The aim of the project is to use technology to speed up evolution. Throughout history humans have evolved because of how we can adapt to changes in our environment, now going back to the time of caves and the discovery of fire those changes were only as fast as the seasons. Now thanks to constant changes in technology the environmental landscape changes rapidly and we believe humanity needs to change just as quick. Now let me introduce Josh, he's one of our technicians and in many ways a guinea pig."

Josh steps forward clicks his fingers and his car door opens before addressing the crowd. "I've been part of the Human Hacking Project for two years now and I'm not only one of its developers but also its test subjects. Six months ago I implanted myself with a small coded chip tuned to the same frequency my car door used from the traditional key fob. Now with just a click of my fingers I can open the door." He went and sat in the car, internal webcams transmitting his picture to the screen on the stage. He clicked his fingers twice in quick succession and the engine started. "Keyless inginition allowed me to do the same, by programming the same chip I can now start my car just as easily. The worry of losing my car key is now a thing of the past." He turned the engine off and returned to the stage.

Peter took over again. "It may look trivial and perhaps eradicating car keys isn't the technological milestone you came here looking for, but this is the tip of a very impressive ice-berg. Josh here has several other implants, his left thumb replaces the need to carry a bank card as it contains his chip and pin style information. Implanted into his left pectoral is a sensor that relays information to his house when he's inside, it controls the heating keeping his body at a pre-determined comfortable temperature. His right pectoral contains what we can "North Sense" a device he can turn on and off by tapping it gently. When turned on it gently vibrates when he faces North aiding in internal direction finding, however he can also connect it to his phone and have it buzz in certain patterns acting as his satnav meaning he can walk around a strange city with perfect confidence of finding his location without having to hold his phone in his hand.

These simple hacks are perfectly harmless to a person and simple to put in, NONE of the implants we've just described were implanted by a medically trained individual instead being done by someone who is a trained body modification technician, or what I'd call an ear piercer, they can be adapted and modified once inside the body by using any bluetooth device and can be removed relatively easy. Our ambition is to make these kind of implants commercially available and off the shelf, allowing any individual to walk into a store, pick the implant that fits their need or desire and then have it inserted within an hour.

This however is only stage one in our evolution, we have developed a kit that will allow people to actually hack their DNA from the comfort of their own home. Myostatin is a protein that can inhibit muscle growth. By targeting it with a cocktail of various proteins we can knock the gene that produces it out, by this I mean change it ever so slightly it ceases to function. This therefore allows muscle to be built quicker and bigger." Peter removes his T-shirt and shows his arms, his left more buff than his right. "I did this to myself six weeks ago in the comfort of my own office, since then I've been hitting the gym, same work out for both arms. At present we seem to have only the ability to confine this to the muscle group injected into but there are results as you can see." He put his shirt back on.

Josh took over. "It is our hope that this technology can be developed, it can be the foundations of making humans better in every possible way, mixing technology, biology and evolution. Picture the scene, day one of basic training for the military and the recruit is given Northsense, no longer awkward training in navigation. Next he is given an eye implant we're working on that will allow zoom function, relay to other users and even different vision types. Then its off to get get his ear buds allowing him to pick up radio signals, these can be connected to a range finder allowing the vibrations in the air made by movement to be amplified and shown on a device meaning no sneaking up on your platoon. Then finally off you go to get your Myostatin reduced. This is the stuff of sci-fi but we are making it happen as we speak. It is our hope that by the end of the decade we'll have these kind of devices on sale as simply as you can buy a new mobile phone and for far less money. Now should anyone have any questions for myself or Peter we'll be happy to respond."

OOC - Questions Can be posted here please https://independentorder.net/index.php?topic=1200.0
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:57:14 PM by DaveIronside »

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 11:25:22 PM »
Olivia Cole took to the stage, "Thank you ZDS for kicking things off here. I'ts my pleasure to welcome (insert name) from (insert company) who will be our next speakers."

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lodja/Kaitaine
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 10:02:34 PM »
Stefan Masevialov from Lodjain Maritime Concerns stood on the stage, an image of an aerial drone behind him. "When we say the world drone people believe that we're talking about these, but the UAV is no longer cutting edge technology. A UAV can be brought over the counter of many hobby modelling shops and we'll be thrilled in the years to come when they deliver our internet shopping in minutes rather than days. Well over in Lodja we've been taking things bigger, much bigger. It is our belief that we've created the world's largest drone." He pressed a button and the image changed.

"Every year $$375 billion is spent on transporting goods across Mundus and the average cargo vessel spends around $4,000 a day on paying, feeding and looking after their crews, this accounts for 44% of all the costs of transporting goods across the globe. Using a series of satellite sensors the ship can be guided through the most hectic of international waterways such as the Matilda Canals or the Illumic with an accuracy unreachable by human operators. Furthermore the ship will be able to maintain that accuracy even in the midst of the most dangerous sea storm. The ships are currently in the testing phase and while much much smaller than the one in the image at the moment, our prototype is carrying only 100 containers around the Alucard, it is the navigation systems that are most in need of testing. Once this accuracy has been proven and the ships have shown themselves been able to avoid traffic within the sea lanes we can easily scale up the prototype until we can transport more than any present cargo ship. This is the future of shipping and Lodjain Maritime Concerns are leading the way."