Author Topic: The Empire and the Queendom  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Aosta

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Aosta2
The Empire and the Queendom
« on: April 21, 2020, 10:07:57 PM »

Dear Queen Klara

I would like to begin by extending my congratulations on the recent birth of your son Prince Isaak and wish your growing family every happiness in the coming years.

As neighbours it is clear that now our Empire has reached a lengthy period of stability that we should look beyond the six provinces that make up our lands. With this in mind I think it is important that we seek to build productive relationships with our immediate neighbours and with this in mind I would love to come and visit your nation if this is permissable.

I hope to be able to meet with you, or your representative soon.

Best Regards

Princess Brigida
Regent of Aosta

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lodja/Kaitaine
Re: The Empire and the Queendom
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 08:26:00 PM »

To:- Princess Brigida

On behalf of myself, my son and my family we thank you for your best wishes.

At present I am still recovering from child-birth and do not feel sadly that such important affairs of state such as meeting your nation in an official capacity is something I could give the attention it deserves. I however believe it is important that our nations meet and therefore would be delighted if you would meet with my Lord of the Conclave, Besarian Ivanov and my husband King Leopold. I would furthermore like to extend an invitation to you and your delegation to dine with my family the evening before the meeting on the Isle of the Goddess. I hope this is something you will accept.

We look forward to meeting if these terms are agreeable.

Best Regards

Queen Klara of Lodja
Guardian of Sessifet

Offline Aosta

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 04:51:15 PM »
Princess Brigida had hoped to meet directly with the Queen because it was her who held all the power in Lodja while meeting with her husband and this Lord of the Conclave would mean delayed decisions and perhaps inflexibility in talks. The Princess though would try and turn the conversation over dinner to the matters she really wanted to discuss and then perhaps the morning after it would just be a case of dotting the i's and dotting the t's the next day. She had with her Lt-Col Piero Albano of the Imperial Guard, he was an aide to the government on matters of security and defence policy and a trusted companion of the Imperial Family. The pair of them flew into the Lodjain capital and waited for the hosts to meet them.

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 10:28:00 PM »
Whenever a nation visited Lodja for the first time there were traditions to be upheld. One of them was that the first meeting with the Queen was supposed to take place at the Palace of the Goddess on the island that sat in the middle of the bay in Gaia. It was therefore important that someone of sufficent rank was sent to greet Princess Brigida and her travelling companion as she was effectively the ruler of the neighbouring nation. As such the task was given to Crown Princess Roksana. As the Queen's wife she would find herself having to undertake roles like this more and more often but the fact she'd served as three different monarchs Lady in Waiting most of her adult life meant she was well accustomed to this kind of event. She was accompanied by Alla Kohan, the Priestess of Sessifet who would be required for the rituals that had to take place before anyone could set foot on the Isle of the Goddess. Unlike the Queen who always wore a dark blue floor length dress with gold embroided patterns the Crown Princess was forced on such occasions to wear pale blue and silver, the small silver wire crown more like a tiara was weaved into her light blonde hair. She wasn't that nervous, she'd performed these occcasions countless times and this one at least was on her own ground in many ways.

She waited for the Aostan aircraft to land and disembark its passengers. A crowd had gathered inside the glass walled terminal building behind where the welcoming committee took place. The concept of nobility and the royal family was something that the Lodjains believed was important and stemmed from the goddess Sessifet who was in charge of all things and according to the nations faithful was residing within Queen Klara who awaited them on the Isle it was believed the Goddess first joined with the initial Queen of Lodja so long ago. "Princess Brigida" Roksana greeted the regent of Aosta with a nod of respect and a smile. "I'm pleased that you've arrived safe and well. I trust the journey was a short and hopefully simple one." She looked past the Princess and nodded respectfully once more to the Lt-Col and welcomed him to their nation. "May I introduce Her Holiness High Priestess Alla Kohan. She is the leader of the faith of Sessifet and we shall be requiring her services. I do hope they let you know of the neccessary ritual before visiting the Isle that our family reside on." A pair of government vehicles were waiting to take them to the causeway which lead to the Isle of the Goddess. They would need to time this part of the journey well or they would reach the causeway as the tide was coming in and that just wouldn't do. Naturally to ensure no hold ups members of the military had ensured that the various cross roads they would need to pass as they cut through the more beautiful parts of Gaia were clear. The Patricians tended to live in the parts of the city built in 1700 and 1800's where beautiful stone worked buildings still dominated, many fronted by elaborate gates showing the owners family alleigance. The odd modern building intersperced the old lending a strange mix. Beyond the caccoon of the older city more high raises and block of concrete flats could be seen but the Princess from Aosta wouldn't be seeing such sights today. They reached the coastal road and immediately the Isle of the Goddess could be seen, the waters of the Alucard lapping at the shores on both sides of the small crossing.

The cars stopped and Guardsman from the Queen's personal Regiment were waiting and presented arms in salute as their Crown Princess and her guest exited the vehicle. "If Your Higness wouldn't mind standing on the line." High Priestess Alla explained. "It is the belief of our faith that only purity may cross the waters and enter the Isle. As such the first time anyone visits here we must ensure their purity. It will only take a moment and a little salt." Alla reached into a small leather pouch that was on the simple rope belt that hugged the black ceremonial robe to her figure. "Please Lt-Col could you join your Princess." she motioned for Piero to stand next to the Princess and then removed some salt from her pouch. She began offering prayers to Sessifet asking the Goddess to protect the guests and witness that they had indeed been purified by her own salt. She sprinked the salt all around them and on them even carefully spinkling some on their head careful not to allow any of the course white crystals to get in their eyes. Once finished the Priestess thanked them both and gave them each a small leather bag, "It contains some of the salt that is still traditionally made on the Isle, it is said to bring good luck. I believe my duty here is done and I wish you a successful visit." She extended a hand to the Princess and the officer before waiting for them to make the short 200meter crossing on foot, the military guards marching either side of them, not out of security concerns but more as a manner of breaking the breeze which was coming in off the Alucard.

It was a short walk across to the Isle where no motor vehicle was permitted except for those engaged in ferrying supplies to and from the Palace. That wasn't for any insane environmental concern but more the fact that the island was so small. It had probably less than 200 people living full time on the lower reaches of the rocky island. The small grey stone cottages giving the impression of some quient community lost in time 200 years ago. While the outsides may give the impression of some kind of small cottage industry or fishermans homes they were infact rather luxurious and belonged to the staff on the island,the cooks, the cleaners, the gardners, tailors and tinkers that made the Isle of the Goddess run on a daily basis. There was one road that wound its way around the island and snaked ever higher until it reached the castle sat at the peak which was the Palace of the Goddess. A small inn sat at the bottom and provided entertainment to the locals and as the party made their way towards their transport up the hill a few off duty customers came out to witness the arrival. "Normally we would offer any visitors the choice of walking up to the Palace or taking our cliffside railway, today however one of the houses on the road has an issue with a water leak and while we avoided getting our feet wet on the causeway we wouldn't on the hill" Roksana was rather glad actually as the hill even on the winding road was rather steep and she wasn't a fan of the walk.

The railway was less than 100 meters long but went nearly vertical up the Isle's rockface and delivered them at the top where Queen Klara and King Leopold was waiting with the traditional Lodjain entourage, four ladies in waiting, eight members of the conclave and various others. While around 200 people lived on the lower part of the isle around a similar number lived in the Palace, some of these foreign ambassadors from countries with nobility, others members of the government, poets, artists, musicians all of whom were at that moment enjoying the favour of Klara. It wasn't however Queen Klara who spoke first rather Anna Immich, one of the ladies in waiting who stepped forward. "Your Highness Princess Brigidia, it is my honour to present Her Divine Majesty Queen Klara II of Lodja, Guardian of Sessifet." Only then did Klara step forward and embrace the Princess warmly.

"Welcome to Lodja, please come and tell me about how you've found your journey so far." 

Offline Aosta

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 10:22:54 AM »
"Our journey was thankfully short. I'm not really one for flying" Princess Brigida explained. "I think though it is a necessary evil in modern times, its upside is though I get to come to your beautiful nation." She understood the Lodjains placed an emphasis on physical beauty and it surely couldn't help to flatter the nation that she had in truth seen only the airport of so far having flown in with the aircraft blinds shut. She next turned to the High Priestess and hoped the day did not get dragged into religious symbolism everywhere however from what she understood there was no escaping this if she wanted to have access directly to the Queen. She rather enjoyed the journey through Gaia. Back home the capital of Ovado was purposely kept in terms of traditional style buildings, while the edge of the city had developed its own little district of skyscrapers and glass towers that was growing daily the vast majority of the city had maintained its character.

As they reached the causeway both the Lt-Col and the Princess had prepared themselves for what was to come. They'd read about the tradition and submitted themselves to the ceremony. The Princess laughed as she looked over at Lt-Col Piero Albano. His head was shaved to baldness and now salt crystals stuck to his skin. "Come here Piero" the Princess motioned and gently pushed his head down brushing the salt from the top of his head and off his dark green military dress uniform. "Smart again" she smiled at him as he merely laughed. The pair followed the across the causeway, it was a rather unique entrance to a Palace for sure and the water either side didn't look particularly inviting. As she approached and heard that sometimes guests walked up the hill she was relieved to hear that the railway would be used, she didn't particularly like the idea of walking up a steep hill when not wearing sensible flats nor arriving at the top with her hair messy from sweating.

At the top the Princess was about to greet Queen Klara when this Lady in Waiting stepped forward and made some formal introduction the Princess patiently waited for her to finish before returning Klara's rather unexpected embrace. "Thank you for hosting us Your Majesty" she purposely left out the Divine part, "Its an incredible place that your nation has built here, I'm excited to see more. This is one of my aides, Lt-Col Piero Albano." the man snapped a salute as a greeting. "I have a gift for you" the Army officer had been carrying under his army a package and now handed it over inside was a set of baby clothes and a blanket each made out of Vicuna Wool, it is a rather beautiful and soft fabric made from our families farmed Vicuna. I hope they are the right fit for your son. I hope the young Prince is thriving?"

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 05:52:23 PM »
Klara smiled as she held up one of the items of baby clothing, "Thank you, they are wonderful" the Queen folded the item delicately and handed it to Anna, her chief Lady in Waiting. She gently looped an arm through Princess Brigida's and guided them into the Palace through a huge archway in which a heavy iron and oak door was swung back. The corridors of the Palace itself were like a maze to those who didn't know it, most of those corridors were heavy grey stone set in its place almost 1000 years ago. The palace was built around a series of square open spaces and the corridors there lacked one wall allowed the fresh air to billow in and circulate, it meant in summer the palace was kept cool by the breeze but in winter it became rather a cold place and at that pointa variety of furs and carpets lined the corridors to try and keep the place a little warmer and occasionally the odd sight of a medieval palace with a modern radiator hidden behind a bench, or a table came into view. The Lodjains tried to keep the Palace like an old court of old with art works and sculptures sat on display. The Queen kept artists, musicians, various other creative types employed within the Palace and occasionally the odd note of music could be heard as they walked past one of the interior gardens where a young man was painting a lady sat on a bench under a blossoming tree. "We are a nation that adores creative beauty. Perhaps if today goes well we can invite some of your artists and the like to come and spend time here. Being part of such a full time creative environment tends to pay grea rewards." Klara added.

After a few twists and turns they came to a T shaped corridor with a curtain pulled across and a guard either side. "This is the royal wing" Klara explained as one of the soldiers pulled the curtain aside and saluted. They passed four doors, two either side. "Those are the suites of my Ladies in Waiting, Anna, Jasmina, Tonya and Zhenya. If it is of use to you while you are in Lodja please permit Zhenya here to serve as your Lady in Waiting, anything you need, anything you would like to have, anything that would make your stay better then she will sort t out for you." Zhenya had been following them and now went and stood beside the visiting Princess.

At the point where the two corridors meet there was another door, "That is my office" Klara gestured as they turned onto one of the arms of the T. "This shall be your suite for the evening. It has two large bedrooms, ensuite of course, a dining area, its own kitchen and a lounge. Mine is at the opposite end of the corridor" Klara gestured back the length of the corridor before pushing open the heavy oak door to reveal a rather tasteful looking modern lounge which from the outside you would not have expected. She gave the guests the tour of the suite and flung open the balcony door which lead to a large patio overlooking the sea. The tour over she directed everyone back over to her own private suite which was again out of time for the appearence of the Palace. "Please take a seat." Klara directed the Princess and the Lt-Col to a large L shaped sofa in the corner of an open plan lounge, kitchen and dining area. A man wearing a white jacket was busy clanging pots and pans in the kitchen and stopped to greet the Queen before returning to his duties of preparing dinner.

"It shall be ten minutes Your Divine Majesty" the chef informed them as he began laying out five white bowls on white plates. The smell of roast parsnip soup filled the room as the pot bubbled away.

"Thank you Edvard" the Queen said as she sat down next to the Princess. "So tell me, what is life like in Aosta? What is your families Palace like?"

Offline Aosta

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 04:24:04 PM »
Princess Brigida  had rather enjoyed the Palace as in some regards it was like a time warp. The Palace back home however was brighter, less bare stone but also less airy. In the summer it could get stiffling hot thanks to the need to install air conditioning. "Back home I think our Palace is much more acccessable to the people, it sits within the heart of the capital and the large plaza before it is often used for events, concerts, even markets. This though is a very nice home, a very unique atmosphere." the Princess smiled, "I imagine it is like having an extended family. We have a very definite partiation between the Imperial family and the others within the Palace which I suspect helps us keep a business like atmosphere but makes things less cozy."

"As for our artists coming here we would not stand in there way but we also wouldn't be able to order any to come. I can think of some who may be interested though." In truth she had few contacts with the art world, apart from the odd forger but that was down to her old days in Policing more than a friendship. Her brother though may have some ideas.