Author Topic: Empress Evanthe To President Kadassa  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
Empress Evanthe To President Kadassa
« on: May 15, 2020, 02:49:17 AM »

A Private Communication With President Kadassa

The First Empire believes that great care must be taken in the easing of sanctions upon the Tamoran regime, one which is without a doubt one of the most cruel to exist in the modern era. Safeguards and verification to ensure that funds aren't mishandled, or otherwise re-directed by the Tamoran regime which could then go on to support the institution of slavery, must be built into any program to ensure it truly assists those at risk of becoming enslaved. Meanwhile sanctions which hold those responsible for slavery within Tamora, such as the Government and businesses which utilize slave labour, should be upheld to ensure that pressure remains upon the root source of slavery within Tamora.

The Lakhzov Republic must also be careful not to entangle itself with the Tamoran regime, a move which would risk the progress Lakhzovia is making to distance itself from past crises. The First Empire is fully committed to seeing that the Republic is respected, not derided, upon the international stage. Association with the Tamoran regime would be a move which would set back that progress already made while jeopardizing the prospects for further progress to be made.

With that being said the First Empire supports approaches which can begin to work to see less people enslaved and, hopefully, we may ultimately reach a point where the influx of new people into the bonds of slavery is halted. So long as such a program is instituted responsibly, with proper sanctions being upheld to maintain pressure upon the regime, progress may yet be possible.

The First Empire invites our Lakhzov allies to discuss a joint approach on these matters, and I would be pleased to do so at your earliest convenience. While I recognize that I have not always seen eye-to-eye with you on some matters, I believe that I may move beyond personal biases to ensure that the Pyrettania-Nakim Accord is upheld and strengthened moving into the future. It is my hopes that this will present an opportunity for both of us to meet, and to build a personal rapport upon which we may begin to work through those issues and concerns I have raised in the past.

Respectfully yours;

Empress of Rokkenjima
Princess of Arovium

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lakhzovia
Re: Empress Evanthe To President Kadassa
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 11:47:04 AM »
Strictly Confidential

Office of the President of the
Lakhzov Republic

Your Highness Empress Evanthe,

First allow me to congratulate you on your return to the Chrysanthemum Throne, and also thanks for your reaching out to me personally on this matter.

It may surprise you to learn that I am in agreement with you regarding concerns around the easing of sanctions on the Tamoran Slave State. The current review has been ordered after a petition from Lakhzov civil society, principally spearheaded by the Chief Medbar of Nakim, one of the most senior religious authorities in the country who as head of the Gemakh Federation carries additional political weight. The Lakhzov Republic remains fully committed to our stance against the institution of slavery as practised in Tamora and do not feel that the justification of religious tolerance is sufficient to permit such an institution's continuance.

As such it will be our clear aim in any potential adjustment of sanctions rules to ensure that no monetary or material benefit could be channelled in such a way as to contribute directly to the expansion or preservation of the institution of slavery. If the Lakhzov Republic decides to allow the resumption of monetary transactions this will be allowed only within the context of stringent regulatory oversight to ensure compliance with Lakhzov law.

Our government is leaning towards making such easements due to what we perceive to be the potential benefits: First the establishment of a Benevolent Society that reduces the flow of humanity into the slave system is a human good in and of itself. Second as this flow is stemmed it will progressively create a situation where slavery ceases to be as widespread, and therefore begin eroding the Tamoran public perception of the institution as a social norm. Third it may raise questions among the Tamoran populace as to why their own state or religious institutions are not capable or willing to provide a similar mechanism that is fully in accord with Manist religious codes. This has the potential to empower reformers within Tamora and eases the transition in public consciousness required for the eradication of the institution for good.

Further the liberalisation of Tamoran society and moderation of its politics is best achieved through friendly exposure to other cultures. At present the global sanctions regimes have the effect of isolating and inoculating the Tamoran populace from the outside world. It has also led to the Tamoran regime's current strategy of patronising weaker or similarly authoritarian states in an attempt to project its own cultural power beyond its borders. So far it has shown remarkable success in not only building a coalition of nations to support it, but also to further normalise the institution of slavery internationally.

As such we feel that Lakhzovia's ability to bridge the gap between the occident and orient positions us well to act as a conduit for the easing of the conflict that is slowly aligning the world into opposing camps.

I hope this has served to put your mind at ease regarding Lakhzovia's position.

May the Blessings of Emet be upon you,

Sachim Kadassa
President of the Lakhzov Republic
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 04:55:51 PM by Lakhzovia »

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 05:29:55 AM »

A Private Communication With President Kadassa

Thank you for your message. While I had not envisioned nor desired a return to the Throne, events often happen which are outside of our control. It is a responsibility to family, country and People which sees me upon the Throne until Crown Princess Adriana is in a position to ascend.

In the coming days I shall be taking a flight to Seaforth so that my son, Josiah Rhodes, may spend some time with his uncle, King Andrew, as well as our family in the Kingdom. This offers us an opportunity to make a stop in Lakhzovia along the way where we may discuss this matter at greater length, as well as seeing that other matters which have been left unaddressed between us are resolved as well.

I shall look forward to your response.

Respectfully yours;

Empress of Rokkenjima
Princess of Arovium

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 03:37:56 PM »
Strictly Confidential

Office of the President of the
Lakhzov Republic

Your Highness,

On behalf of the Lakhzov Republic I would be delighted to welcome you to visit as an addition to the itinerary of your trip to Seaforth. Due to the short notice I am afraid we may not be able to provide the reception we would normally prepare for such an occasion, and due to the imminent arrival of the festival of Natan Emet I will be in Khalin as opposed to my residence in Nakim.

Due to the timing I would like to invite you to join me for the festivities.

Sachim Kadassa
President of the Lakhzov Republic

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 06:46:50 AM »

Empress Evanthe, joined by Crown Princess Adriana, arrived in Lakhzovia aboard the Imperial Concorde. While the normal fanfare would not be a factor in this visit the Empress was not bothered, indeed, she quite welcomed an arrival away from the flashes of camera bulbs and crowds composed of the press and onlookers. It allowed her, as they were transported to President Kadassa, to better focus upon the topics at hand as well as her concerns regarding developments within the Republic in regards to the reduction of sanctions upon the Tamoran Empire. Encouraging President Kadassa to remain firm, while offering him an opportunity to address her long-held concerns with him and his Government, were two goals she looked to secure before departing the Lakhzov Republic.

Increasing Tamoran involvement in affairs away from their shores, far removed from Midaranye, remained a growing concern within Pyrena Castle. Ensuring that one of the longest-standing Rokkenjiman partnerships did not fall into the orbit of the Tamorans, the over-reaching goal of her visit on short notice, was one she had been preparing for during the flight to Lakhzovia.

Still, a quiet arrival and the subsequent awaiting for instructions once they had landed allowed for Adriana to take in the sights of a new nation, even if from the windows of the Imperial Concorde.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 05:10:46 PM by Beatrice »

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 03:04:35 PM »
Kadassa had been informed that Empress had landed at Khalin International Airport upon which he had directed that she be brought to meet him at Khalin Fort where he and his entourage had gathered to celebrate the Festival of Natan Emet. Less than an hour later the Empress was guided into the ancient building that had once been the seat of government for the Utman Empire. The courtyard was richly decorated with flowers and lights while tables had been laid out.

"Your Majesty, what a privilege it is to have the opportunity to host you, and under somewhat better conditions than the last time we met!" Kadassa said bowing slightly to the Empress "And how fortuitous of you to arrive on Natan Emet, I hope you will humour me in joining the festivities. We are shortly to begin the evening festive meal and I have had a place of honour prepared for you on my table." he said gesturing towards a large circular table.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 05:21:07 AM »
"President Kadassa," Evanthe said, bowing though no lower than he had to her, "It would be my pleasure to join you in the festivities. To have a place of honour at your table, I am most humbled. Allow me to introduce to you Crown Princess Adriana," she continued, "who joins me here today in our meetings. Although not participating in an official capacity, I felt that it is important for her to become familiar to the nations and governments she will one day be working with." Adriana remained silent, offering a respectful bow, before joining Evanthe in taking a seat at the table.

"I think we both recognize the path which has brought you and I to where we are today," she continued, "however, I am willing to give you an opportunity to prove me wrong in regards to the position I have taken in the past. It is my hope that by the time of our departure we may look to the future," she said looking to Adriana before returning to President Kadassa. "With that being said, I am pleased to be accommodated with such short notice having been given."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 12:05:09 PM »
Kadassa looked towards Adriana and smiled "Natan Emet is a festival that marks the beginning of the revelation of divine truth to the Prophet Naqsim, as such it is marked as a time of new beginnings, how appropriate then for this to be the first introduction of the future Empress to Lakhzovia. It is a pleasure to meet you and may this be the beginning of many long an prosperous years." He picked up an ornate pot containing the heavily spiced sweet tea Lakhzovia was famed for and poured cup for the two women followed by himself "May we drink to a future sweeter than our past" he said before taking a long sip of the thick rich tea.

Now focusing his attention on Evanthe he began "Now your Majesty I am fully aware of the topic you are most keen to discuss, the Tamoran sanctions relaxation. I must begin by saying I fully understand your position, you have made it a matter of principle to stand firm against the Slave State out of a commitment to the lofty goal of upholding universal human rights, and that is to your credit! Very few leaders have the nerve to hold so fast to matters of absolute moral principle yes?

I must say that when it comes to the institution of slavery I stand fully by your side, it is an abomination that belongs firmly in the past, yet the reality is that it still blights our world, more than that the nation that most strongly endorses it has enshrined it in a way that makes it particularly resistant to being dislodged. I share your disgust and your desire to see it crumble and fall, yet the reality is that this is unlikely even under the weight of an international sanctions regime.

First I am certain that your own briefings will have informed you that the nation of Tamora practices a highly protectionist economic policy with a high reliance on import substitution industrialisation, of course this hinders their domestic economy, but this itself serves to solidify their institutional set up while also insulating their economy from excessive external pressures. Second Tamora has successfully fostered a network of politically, culturally and economically integrated or dependent nations, particularly in Midaranye; this now acts as an effective bloc in its own right and what little impact sanctions against Tamora have practically evaporates if you are not willing to extend the same sanctions regime against the entire bloc, which brings me to my next point.

As Tamora effectively leads a bloc of nations and has a largely independent economy poorly integrated into global trade we are at risk of facing a situation like that of the Warsaw Pact, I fear that ratcheting up tensions with extending sanctions will only serve to consolidate the Tamoran network and lead to a further polarisation of Mundus. I am sincere in my concerns that doing so risks putting us on the path to a conflagration that will lay waste to large swathes of the world, I am certain that it is not your goal to trigger a major war yet I fear that this is where we inevitably head if we continue on the course that we have set.

Now I know in all probability you have come here to convince me to reconsider my governments approach to relaxing sanctions, but I hope you will hear what I have to say on the matter and be reassured as to our approach. While we too seek the downfall of the Tamoran Slave State it is our assessment that this is unlikely to be viable via confrontation unless we undertake military action to bring about regime change, I personally believe this is an undesirable path not least from the resultant loss of life, the destabilisation of the region and the lack of assurances that we would actually succeed in such an endeavour. Ultimately we have come to view further pursuit of punitive sanctions as an ineffective route to our desired outcome. Rather we believe that change is possible through penetration of the walls the nation has built to protect itself. Targeted economic and cultural cooperation can provide very real avenues for strengthening counter-slavery tendencies within their society.

Let me provide you with one potential example we have formulated. For a moment consider that slavery in Tamora is justified by religion but exists today due to its role in the economy and the facilitation of economic relations within society. In such a model the way in which to have an impact upon the institution is by use of economic levers, now there is the option of adversarial economic pressure such as sanctions, however in the case of Tamora in which isolation and economic inefficiencies are key issues that allow the perpetuation of the slave institution such an approach is likely to prove counter-productive. On the other hand if you can find ways to penetrate the market and create a situation where there is benefit to the elite from pursuing increases in productivity then the use of slave labour becomes less attractive and as such support for the continuation of widespread slavery will be eroded among the elite that hold the power over the Tamoran institutions. So for example a policy that seeks to encourage export oriented production would lead Tamoran firms to have to compete in quality and price on the global market, those that shift away from high labour, low productivity manufacturing would reap the advantage and experience high growth rates relative to other Tamoran firms allowing them to expand both their international and domestic market share, such pioneers would be followed by other firms in the sector seeking to emulate that success and avoid being squeezed out of the market, especially given what the implications of insolvency would be for the business owners. This positive cycle of business development would see the economy retooled away from the inefficiencies of  slave labour and as such greatly reduce the economic role and importance of the institution, paving the way for its eventual disappearance.

From this you can see how a policy of pursuing open economic relations would be far better at altering the socioeconomic reality of Tamora than sanctions which serve only to intensify the factors in which the slave institution is rooted and able to exist. That is why my government has taken a view to easing economic sanctions on Tamora while at the same time enabling a programme of charitable debt relief to stem the flow of new bodies into the slave market. We believe that a two pronged approach of reducing availability and thus increasing the cost of slaves, while creating the economic conditions that favour businesses embracing productivity boosting investment provides the best opportunity to see the institution peacefully eradicated in our lifetimes."
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 12:39:12 PM by Lakhzovia »

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 05:19:26 AM »
"The pleasure is mine, thank you," Adriana answered. "Thank you for inviting us to share in the festivities with you." Evanthe and Adriana joined Kadassa in drinking the tea, with Evanthe affirming her hopes for that sweeter future. Adriana smiled after her first taste of the tea, it was unlike any Rokkenjiman tea she had tasted. As Evanthe began to speak she turned her attention to her, knowing that her presence here was not simply a matter of convenience on their way to Seaforth, but as a function of learning and instruction as well.

"One cannot be delicate when it comes to the eradication of slavery, we saw the results of taking a light approach when Slava Lavosk brought the world to the brink of a crisis it has never known through the re-introduction of nuclear weapons. Unlike in times past, where the international community was united in cause and purpose, fully understanding of just what was truly at risk, the international community brought itself to a position to damn near appease Slava Lavosk; we cannot have a repeat of that on the matter of Tamoran slavery. We've seen far too many states are willing to take a soft-handed approach and, perhaps most disappointingly, we see states such as the Heyran Republic engage in arrangements with the Tamorans while doing nothing to address slavery. This strategy, if it would gain your support, presents an opportunity for the Lakhzov Republic to set itself apart and recast the image much of the world has of the Republic.”

“I understand that Beatrice took you aside during the Slava Lavosk nuclear talks, thus I know that she didn't speak to you in a manner one would speak to an ally. While there are issues I need to see addressed between us, I can promise that I will never speak to you in such a manner; if we should call each other friends it will be with respect. I will never view an ally of Rokkenjima as one I speak down to, but one I speak with and one I stand alongside. I've looked forward to this meeting as representing the first step in building a trust which has yet to have a chance to exist between us. Hopefully, by the time of my departure, I may secure a measure of trust, and support, in our strategy. Imagine the contrasts, the TINS spin machine running at full speed, at the differences in approach between two allied nations when it comes to this issue? We'd be giving them an unprecedented propaganda opportunity, and something to wave in front of their people that their regime is successful and not placed upon a precipice."

"Sanctions are one pillar of the strategy, the other is direct action, which I am preparing to present to the Cross-Straits Treaty Organisation in the coming weeks. Utilizing the tools available to us via international treaties, namely the Fair Seas Concordat, we will be able to strike at Tamoran interests on a global scale while taking full advantage of a Tamoran weakness: their naval forces. While I cannot state too much at this early stage of the development of the strategy I can say that I envision this strategy placing real strain upon the Tamoran regime while also freeing slaves during the entirety of its conduct. It is also a strategy which I hope to see our Lakhzovian allies standing beside us in."

"As I learned from my husband, when it comes to the issue of slavery maximum pressure, exclusion from the norms allowed to nations within the international community, diplomatic isolation, all amongst other means, are necessary. I am wholly aware that there will be some pain for those who have nothing to do with slavery, however, when Tamorans see their nation rejected from participation in international functions, when they see their diplomats turned away and not embraced, when their bid for the Mundus Games collapses, each of these serve as powerful reminders that the rest of Mundus has moved beyond the repugnant era in which the Tamoran regime finds itself trapped in. Now is not the time to be easing up upon the Tamorans, now is the time where it is best to keep the weight upon the regime, to increase it, and to see that the partners of the regime begin to experience the effects of their association with the slavers."

Pausing, Evanthe added "I recognize the noble intent of the Lakhzov Republic in the proposed venture, however, I firmly believe that the risks greatly outweigh the benefits which may be realized and would also add that any measure of cooperation of the regime would undoubtedly be taken not as one to better the lives of Tamorans, but to take advantage of the Republic in the interests of only the regime itself."

“Hopefully I may return to Pyrena Castle and reaffirm that Rokkenjima and Lakhzovia remain strong in their joint stance, firmly against the Tamoran regime and the work they have done to support slavery to this day. Along the way in ensuring that I am interested in hearing what I, and the Rokkenjiman state, can do for our Lakhzovian allies. I recognize that my reservations and demeanour toward you may have opened the door for doubt in the value of our relationship, to the point where a Tamoran is invited to Lakhzovian soil. That tells me that Pyrettania needs to invest greater care and attention in listening to the needs and concerns of Nakim, while also working to see that those needs are met.”

"We've also the concern of a Seaforth in retreat, leaving upon Eastern Cotf Aranye a vacuum which will inevitably be filled. If this is something we have noticed, discussed and developed contingency plans for in the halls of Pyrena Castle, I can imagine that the sense of urgency is that much greater in Nakim. Rokkenjima believes that this situation is untenable and projects that, in the presence of an increasingly quiet Seaforth, we'll be left with a situation of either increasing foreign influence in the region or the solidification of a native power over the position held previously by the Kingdom. There are those in Pyrettania who have lingering concerns as to how that situation would develop if the Republic were to assume the role, but I am confident that if I can impress upon them that my concerns, and theirs, are resolved I can ensure the fullest of support of the Imperial Rokkenjiman Government in supporting Lakhzovia's further development as the regional power of the Cotf-Krimeon region."

Evanthe allowed her words to linger.

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 09:47:43 PM »
"Evanthe, my dear Empress. You must appreciate the fact that with the return to isolation of Seaforth that the Cotf Peninsula has been left once again with a power vacuum, as the most powerful state in the region our filling of that vacuum is inevitable with or without Rokkenjiman support. I make this point only as it seems to be that you feel it is your gift to give such status to us rather than us inheriting it as matter of right.

I make clear to you that I appreciate your concerns and that your nations diplomatic concerns are such that you have decided on an alternate course of action to ourselves. However I must point out are three important things to be considered here: First, Lakhzovia is not alone in our approach, there are other respected nations which recognise that aggression is unlikely to sway the Tamoran regime and have elected instead to utilise economic pressure to alter the facts on the ground. Second Lakhzovia is a partner to Rokkenjima, not a slave. We are fully sovereign and while we will of course endeavour wherever possible to align our policy on common points of agreement we will never hesitate to make decisions on the basis of our own approach to diplomacy when we feel this is preferable. Finally a word of caution; having been at the receiving end of the exact sort of hostile coercion from you that is now being inflicted on Tamora I can say that your tactics do nothing to alleviate the tensions within a society that lead to the characteristics you disapprove of, in fact they serve only to strengthen the narrative of persecution...

You threatened my country with regime change, you tied our hands when we needed to act to defend ourselves from the monsters within and it was only once those forces we had been holding down were released in full force that you finally understood the rightness of our course. Now I ask you to not make the same mistake again. However good you believe your intentions to be you must not throw Cotf Aranye into a devastating war for the sake of your lofty ideals, especially when there are perfectly reasonable alternative that don't risk the escalation of tensions to the brink of war."