Author Topic: Just another business proposal: marriage (Tamora and Royal Seleucid)  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra

Your Royal Majesty,

I am Thanasis Polakis, the Vice President of OPEN and the sole owner of Polakis Energy. I have yet to have had the honor of meeting your Majesty in person but nevertheless your reputation precedes you.

As head of the Soter Royal family I would like to propose to you that I take Wilhom Queen Yanna as my wife and would like an audience with Your Majesty where we could decide the details in private. I am follower of Anahita and I assure your Majesty that would I would treat the Wilhom Queen the very best and would give her the position of First Wife in my family as it is worthy by her status.

I look forward to Your Majesty's reply and I am always available should your Majesty have any questions.

Respectfully Yours,
Thanasis Polakis
VP of OPEN

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
To:- Mr.Polakis

While it is not within the realms of possibility that Wilhom Queens can re-marry such things are complex and obviously in need of careful deliberation especially considering the status of your own position relative to that of my Mothers. I suggest that the three of us meet at the Palace of the Lake to discuss the matter. Beyond the prospect of marriage there are other matters that I think a face to face discussion between us may make fruitful for both of us.

If this is acceptable you may either fly into Ipsus and travel North with myself or alternatively it is possible for a sea-plane to land at the Lake Palace

Regardless of the outcome I look forward to our meeting.

Blessings of the Goddess
King Heydar

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Thanasis Polakis opted to get to the Lake Palace by himself. While others would have perhaps taken the opportunity to get to the Palace along with King Heydar, he preferred to get there alone. He disliked wasting time to “chit chat” and preferred to get straight to business if given the choice.

He was anxious to see the famous Lake Palace for himself. Not many people in Mundus had the chance to see it and he liked the idea of being one of those important people to have had access to it.

As for King Heydar himself, he didn’t know what to make of him. Unlike his father, king Akakios, who wanted Royal Seleucid to play a global role, king Heydar seemed more focused on domestic issues and regional affairs. Still, king Heydar continued many of the projects and the general strategy of king Akakious when it came to the economy so in Polakis’ mind that made Heydar a pragmatist. Other than that he didn’t know much about him so he would need to be cautious when dealing with him.

As he arrived at the palace and got out of the plane, he made his way to the servants and introduced himself.

“Good evening. I am Thanasis Polakis, I have an audience with His Majesty, King Heydar.”

During the walk to the eventual room where he expected he would meet Kind Heydar and Wilhom Queen Yanna, he discreetly looked around the palace trying to assess its value. The huge 4 acres palace had history and a beautiful view. The only down side to it was that it was in Marvar and not in Ipsus so that should make it less expensive. He figured 400 million dinars(usd) would be an adequate assessment of the palace. Polakis had much more wealth that that but he would never pay that much for a house. “I guess Yanna would have to get use to a downgrade” he thought to himself. He didn’t have more time to ponder on that since the servants informed him that they had arrived and that he was announced to the king. Polakis made his way to the room and greeted the two royals:

“ Your Majesty” said Thanasis addressing “Thank you for agreeing to meet”. He then briefly turned his attention to Wilhom Queen Yanna “Your Highness” giving her a short nod as a sign of respect.

“It is an honor to have the pleasure of meeting Your Majesty and Your Highness” which was only half a lie. He considered it an honor to meet King Heydar but his he wasn’t exactly honored to meet the wilhom queen. He didn’t not see what was so special about her other the fact she was the widow of the late king.

Under normal circumstances he would attempt to try and get straight to business but in this case he let Heydar set the pace so he just added another compliment:

“I have to say that the Lake Palace is even more impressive when you see it live than it is in the pictures. It is truly an amazing work of art.”

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
The Lake Palace was a place that the Soter family had often spent a good deal of time but that had lessened since Hadi's "Murder then Suicide" the Palace had taken some restoration following that but Heydar had no qualms about the place, his brother was a man he loved but he was a necessary sacrifice for the good of the Kingdom. He was a man who much like Akakois would have looked to nations like Lodja for advancement. Hadi had seen the family as a unit unbreakable for any reason, Heydar meanwhile saw many of them merely as tools for what he believed needed to be done. His father had allowed his emotional attachment for his daughters Thelka and Afrodhiti to prevent him making good marriages for them and as such they were, or had in Thelka's case, been much older than the average Seleucid when they married. Even the way his father had treated him Heydar saw as poor management of the family while the old man had taken a 4th young wife he had left Heydar with only a single wife, something he believed was beneath his status. He viewed marriage for a royal as nothing other than a means of diplomacy or politicing and that was how he saw the Whilom Queens, just another pawn in the game. Sadly one pawn was too old to be of much use beyond being a kind of grand-mother for the nation to be dragged out on important occasions, then there was the youngest Katerina whom Heydar had formed a romantic relationship while she was married to his father. He wasn't sure he liked the idea of her re-marrying but Yanna was in his view, so long as the circumstances were right, expendable.

Heydar had arrived the night before the meeting with Yanna and his own wife Chryssa and following an early morning dip in the lake he had just enough time to change to see Polakis arrive. "The Lake Palace is more our home away from the capital. It is a place where we can unwind a little, that and they say the waters have healing properties." Heydar shrugged not sure that he believed that himself. "It is wonderful though to meet you. I have had the fortune to visit Tamora a great number of times and I'm impressed by how well you have done for yourself" The group had made their way to one of the four corners of the Palace where a kind of small veranda looked out over the lake. "Now I understand you have the mind to marry my Step-Mother, it is very uncommon for Whilom Queen's to re-marry, not totally unheard of but rare. As such you can imagine my surprise when I got your message."

Chyrssa interjected, "I understand you are already married?" She questioned already knowing the answer, "It then surprises me that you would seek to take a new wife who is actually older than you. That isn't a common way of doing things in our faith. I'm surprised about that." Heydar placed a hand on his wife's silencing her with a glance.

"I believe my wife is concerned for her Mother-in-law and your motives. Understandable." Heydar tried to explain.

"I can voice my own concerns" Yanna spoke up. "Although it is interesting that Mr.Polakis here has made such an approach. My concern is twofold. Why me when a billionare can have his pick of young trophy wives to expand his family. Second I would not intend to be a junior in any relationship."

Heydar shook his head a little. "I believe Mr.Polakis here should be given every oppurtunity to answer concerns or questions and you should hear him with an open mind." he scolded the two women before turning himself back to Thanasis and with a slight chuckle began to speak, "I am blessed and cursed with women. Blessed to have two beautiful wives, cursed that they have very active tongues. I'm praying that Chryssa and Haniyah produce sons as me and Golzar are already massively outnumbered at home. I must warn you though if my Step-Mother is concerned then that means I am unlikely to agree to a marriage after all I owe her the same duty of care as my father would have."

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
“You haven’t just visited Tamora Your Majesty, you have also helped our religious community in a significant way. All Tamorans of our faith are looking forward to see the construction of the temple finished. “

When the two women started questioning him about his motives she couldn’t help but feel they were too spoiled, he wanted to give them a more straightforward answer that would put them in their place but that would ruin relations with Heydar and that could never be good for businesses. He considered that maybe his First Wife Eliana was right and this wasn’t worth it. One thing made him glad though, that he brought no gifts for the women. It would have been a waste of money.

He didn’t ponder much on this because he needed to think on how to approach this. Since the women expressed such concerns publicly it was clear that Heydar indulged them either because he cared about these concerns or worse still he valued the women too much to not take their concerns seriously. When dealing with people that were suspicious of him, as the Soter seemed to be, he always proceeded to go for the truth rather than come up with some other story which could get out of hand. All he had to was to dress the truth in a manner that was more to his favor:

“I’ve been fortunate Your Majesty. The business I have inherited from my late father, it was very small but it definitely helped me and of even more help was his business acumen which allowed me to learn a lot. I was also fortunate to find the right partners. If it wasn’t for the Soter Royal Family and the funding it provided to the ambitious Haghighi Dam it would have never been completed and that would have been an embarrassment for me personally since I was in charge of the project.”

He then processed to address some the concerns raised:

“In my experience, once you reach a certain level for your business, the partnerships you build are almost as important as your business skills.  One needs only to look at companies such as the Rokkenjiman Abstergo Industries and the troubles they are having because of recent fallout between the government of Heyra and Rokkenjima. One of the most important partnerships is with your own government. I have been in good standing with the Tamoran government of that is no doubt but I am looking to build a more durable partnership. The marriage between the Soter and the Safavid royal families means the future emperor of Tamora is married to the daughter of Her Highness Yanna. Having Her Highness as my wife will ensure a stable partnership with the Safavids for the foreseeable future allowing me to focus on expanding aboard which I am trying but have had limited success. “

His tone changed when addressing Yanna, becoming sterner but without raising his voice:

“Your Highness, you would be the first among my wives or what we in Tamora refer to as a First Wife, all others will listen to you. Just as you would listen to me since all families in order to function have only one head, not two or three. I am not interested in trophy wives; I am interested in someone who is willing to work to see the Polakis business grows. Because of your status, Your Highness could play a very important part in that endeavor. It would also mean being physically closer to your daughter Princess Thekla as we would often go to Djerb. ”

He simply ignored the issue raised by Chyrssa about him being three years younger than Yanna. Since Yanna didn’t raise that point he saw no reason to indulge Chyrssa. And he returned his gaze to Heydar. Polakis didn’t see why Yanna’s opinion should be a factor in his decision so he tried to put things in very diplomatic terms:

“We must all do what we think it’s best for the family. Our personal preferences are of course important and should be considered but in the end we must think what is best for the whole family and how we can help better its interests. “

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Heydar's biggest concern was not the happiness of Yanna but instead how things would look for the family. No one could recall the last time a Whilom Queen had re-married but that was mainly down to the age of the King's when they'd died meaning there was kind of no point them remarrying. Heydar meanwhile was keen to ensure that at least Royal Seleucid got a good deal from things. "My biggest concern was the status of Yanna, as she explained, if this marriage happens she will end up in a foreign land away from the majority of her family, not that Tamora is a problem its just your are taking a Queen away from her people" If anything Heydar was beginning to lay the foundations for when the discussions got further down the track. "As long as her status is protected then I have little concern. The situation is though a difficult one as it would make you my father-in-law. So far I've been impressed with your businesses activities globally and would have no problems being associated with your achievements, what I would have concerns about moving forward is your activities perhaps not being so virtuous as they are now. I would therefore be taking perhaps a small gamble in allowing such a high profile foreigner have the title of my father-in-law. So assuming that we agree to this marriage I would somehow needs reasurrences the Soter name will not be at risk. Beyond  that I have little worries after you've answered my mother's questions." 

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
“Your Majesty, I understand your concerns. For one thing I can tell you that as a businessman my reputation is a very valuable asset. Without it my business suffers so I have incentive to have a good reputation since otherwise I lose money. Of course, despite my best efforts there are those out there that still have issues with me. Your Majesty might perhaps be aware of the sanctions Rokkenjima has placed against me and others business leaders of Tamora. In cases like these there is little I can do to change things since such decisions are really matters of state.

But if Your Majesty’s has something in mind as reassurance I am of course interested in hearing it.”

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: Just another business proposal: marriage (Tamora and Royal Seleucid)
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 08:12:48 PM »
The King turned to his wife and step-mother, "Seeing as we have an agreement in principle perhaps you would go and oversee matters for the rest of the day." The two ladies at first seemed like they were about to protest but Heydar motioned for them to hurry up. The King waited for them to go. "At the end of the day it will be me and you who are the ones making any agreement, my mother in law has agreed in principle, now it is for us to....negotiate." Heydar concluded. "Now clearly this move isn't motivated by a great love story but lets be honest even my father didn't marry for love most of the time. There was always a purpose. Sometimes it was for lust, sometimes for children, sometimes to keep some nobles happy, perhaps yours is one of those. What matters is the price so to speak and this brings me to the reassurance of you ensuring protection for the Soter name. Naturally as you know their should be some exchange for the marriage, on our half I would require some substantial bride price. I would also seek a reassurance that the Whilhom Queen will never be used as a spokesperson for you or your company, at least not in public. Now it is natural to receive some things in return, I am willing to offer three things, the first is as Queen my step mother Yanna owned lands under the title of Shaykhah of Maleha, its a small town not famed for much other than its leather production and dates. It does however come with a rather nice little estate with a small Palace of sorts . Naturally I would grant you the title of Shiekh of Maleha so my step-mother may retain the title, the condition though being once you and her depart this world the title reverts back to a Soter. The second thing I will offer you is the right to what other Seleucid royals have which is a small detacthment of Royal Guardsman for security but also for what is probably best described as window dressing. My step-mother has six who provide security for her but also appear as guards in full regalia at functions she chooses, I'd permit you four. The final thing I would like to offer is an oppurtunity. You are well aware that we have in Ipsus many projects to make our economy more diverse for the future, Blue and the Palm being the two prime ones. With that in mind there will in the future be further projects. If I was to make sure that Polakis Energy found itself at the front of the line for providing green energy products for these I suspect in return I would see some useful discounts? It would give you a foothold in some interesting markets and naturally as the guy providing the energy to say a Blue II project you would also have the ability to make an income from them, I would expect though Seleucid workers to be employed and it to be majority green production. How does this sound from my side of the deal?"

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 07:51:00 PM »
“It is a good offer, Your Majesty. You have my word that the Whilom Queen fill never be asked to represent the company in public. As for the bride price I am willing to offer 10 million dinars (usd) for her hand. I believe it is a fair offer that takes into account the immense prestige of the Soter name and the Queen excellent reputation but also the fact that she is past her childbearing age and that there are certain restrictions which we have discussed. “
Bride prices were always tricky but making an offer for a Whilom Queen was even more tricky than usual. It was not like there was a market to this or that there was an easy way to asses it.   

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 12:26:36 PM »
Heydar was pleased that the agreement had been reached. It would get one of the old Queen's out from under his feet and they'd have a good contact in the business world for future projects. "I think then we can agree to this." He looked at his step-mother who grudgingly nodded. For her part it beat being stuck in the Palace and she may be of us to the nation in some regard. "Very well then I look forward to the day you two are married. Congratulations" Heydar extended his hand. "Now I shall leave you two to get better acquainted."  With that the King excused himself and allowed the two soon to be wedded to have some time together.