Roleplay > International News Networks

Lodja Times

<< < (2/26) > >>

Libby:

KING OF EAST MORELAND HONOURS VISIT DESPITE QUEEN'S CONDITION
At the foundation of the Network of Crowns it was agreed that King David III of East Moreland would visit Lodja for a week at this time in order to observe the training progress of the soldiers being trained by his nations elite Red Legion. So far some 2000 Lodjain soldiers have been retrained following an inspection of the state of Lodjain forces some 8 months ago. The new training programme seeks to stop people gaining positions in the military based on wealth and family connections but rather by ability. The scheme will see some 3,000 soldiers turned into instructors who will return to their units and pass on the skills they have been taught. One of the first units to be part of the scheme were the Lodjian Royal Marines who underwent an intensive 14 week programme, one recruit who went through this said, "It made our basic training training look like childrens football practice, there was much less focus on drill and uniform and a lot more of weapons handling, once we stopped running it was actually enjoyable."

The first of the instructors graduate this weekend and the King is the guest of honour at their passing out parade, an honour he was expected to share with Queen Viktoriya. The parade has been cancelled however the King apparently insisted on coming anyway. As he landed in Gaia he was taken first to the Island of the Goddess where it is said he joined Palace staff in morning prayers in the shrine of Sessifet. One palace insider said, "The King stood alongside us solemnly and while he may not share our faith he took part respectfully, clearly out of care for our Queen." Following that the King had a brief meeting with the Conclave, which Lord Besarian Ivanov said was "Useful, supportive and productive."

The King made his way to Gaia Military Barracks where the Queen is being kept alive on life support. As he left he stopped to talk with well wishers and make a statement to the press.

--- Quote from: King David of East Moreland (Cheers Ironside) ---
Today was a moment I wish had never come along. To see a youthful monarch lying surrounded by machines and tubes is one of the saddest sights I have ever seen. Earlier today I meet with the Queen's Ladies in Waiting and her Conclave, I was honoured when one of them told me Queen Viktoriya viewed me as a mentor, if she does in deed consider me that then I am proud of her. I remember meeting her at her coronation, and if I am honest she came across almost as a young girl playing dress up. I meet her a few months later at another global celebration and she was still that nervous little girl, it was there we became not mentor and pupil, but friends, at least I like to think so. I watched after that how she grew, not physically but in stature. Someone who wanted the best for her people and for the world. She showed determination to do the right thing, making hard choices such as asking for East Moreland's help in improving her armed forces, not only there but making Lodja a diplomatic power. Under her guidance not only has Lodja took steps forward but the Uppsala Convention was improved under her guidance, the Network of Crowns establised, and for the first time in living memory Lodjain soldiers set foot beyond their borders, not as conquerers or warmongers but as rescuers, medics, carers and heroes. There are a great many people in Uppsala alive thanks to her decision, the dedication of the men and women under her control and for the support and friendship they gave my nation I am forever thankful.

I understand having meet with Doctors the chances of this amazing Queen coming back to us is practically impossible and if that is the case then I shall greive with your nation. What we must remember however is that what she has achieved in just short of a year is more than many dream of in their lifetime. She would leave a legacy of a Lodja that is no longer a quiet nation satisfied with sitting in its corner of Albion, she will have left a Lodja that is a force for good and the world will be a darker place for her passing.

--- End quote ---

The King is going to spend four more days in Lodja examining the training programme as well as meeting with some of the Conclave in private meetings.

Libby:

ISLE OF THE GODDESS TO HOST "POTENTIAL QUEENS"
High Priestess Raisa today announced that the Conclave has given special permission to begin examinations for a new host for the goddess Sessifet. With the Queen's medical staff saying that she will never regain conciousness it is likely that a new Queen will be required sooner rather than later. Over the course of the next few days a search of nobles daughters will take place during which those deemed likely to have the potential to be Queen will be housed on the island. The High Priestess explained the process. "We shall examine the heritage of all noble daughters who will be eligible, normally this is for those aged 18, however this situation is different and as such we shall be including those soon to turn 18 while excluding those over 18 years and 6 months. The exception to this is Lady Jasmina Danailov who for the next week shall be our immediate recepient. Those girls whom we believe are born under the protection of the Goddess, due to omens on their day of birth, or incidents during their lives so far, will be invited to the Island of the Goddess, there we shall observe their bearing and conduct as well as their knowledge of the Goddess. The Conclave and the Priesthood will then confirm who is most favoured and they shall remain on the Island."

It is expected that around 10 girls are eligible however not all are likely to be invited to the Island. It is also thought likely that King David of East Moreland, who is currently a guest on the island, will be witnessing part of the process, the first time a foreigner will have done so. The High Priestess explained, "The potential Queens live on the Island so we can see how they interact with the nobility they will govern, however thanks to Her Divine Majesty Queen Viktoriya things have changed and we are now part of the international community, we must therefore see how they interact with other monarchs, we normally would not have the ability to do this, yet King David's stay presents a unique oppurtunity and he has kindly agreed to meet any candidates we deem suitable."

It was also today confirmed by the Courts that while the Queen is unable to make decisions her powers will pass to Lord Besarian Ivanov, this is until such a time as the Queen gives birth which would see Baron Roman become King and therefore he would inherit the Queen's powers until her death.

Libby:

DUKE ANDRONIKASHVILI CONFIRMS DAUGHTER TAKEN TO ISLAND FOR TESTING
The Duke Robert Andronikashvili today confirmed his daughter, Katyusha, has been taken to the Island of the Goddess for testing, making her the first to be confirmed to the media. The 58 year old Duke, who resides at Qudaghlo Palace near Iskar, said "I am very proud of Katy anyway now that the Priestesses think their is something about her pleasing to the Goddess makes me excited, its the biggest honour a Lodjain noble can have. Obviously I wish it was an oppurtunity that never came up but Sessifet will guide us in all things." The 17 year old Katyusha turns 18 in three days time and has recently enrolled on a course at university studying Literature and Music.

The Andronikashivili family were enobled in 1642 and have been prominent in the Priesthood ever since, Katyusha's 22 year old sister Albina became a Priestess just six months ago having graduated Gaia Theologiocal University. The most prominent historical member of the family was General Ivan Andronikashvili who like most of te family was born in Qudaghlo in the North Eas. His mother, Mariam Bagrationi, was the daughter of the then 3rd King Solomon and therefore he had royal blood. He himself was married to Princess Nino Imeretinsky further cementing the families links to royalty. He served later in the Heavy Horse during a brief rebellion in the late 1820's. He was promoted Major General in 1841 and appointed Governor General of Tilifs in 1849, this was a small city in the South of Lodja that he helped transform into a major railway hub by 1865. Since then his descendents have held the title of being Dukes and also Governor General of Tilifs.

The 17 year old however caused controversey moments after her fathers announcement with what some are calling a ill considered Tweet

Some have said it shows a lack of respect and sympathy to Queen Viktoriya who is still on life support at Gaia Military Barracks. One former member of the Conclave said, "This should and will count against her as it is not becoming of a Queen toshow such a lack of common sense. Today every word written on the internet is avaliable and teenagers are becoming more liberal in what they post. This will make finding a suitable Queen even harder, especially when the first candidate is so unthinking." Others meanwhile have suggested that Katyusha's use of social media is exactly what is needed with one youngster posting in a debate online saying, "The Queen is going to need to be someone who can communicate with the whole of Lodja, Queen Viktoriya tried but never did this as she wasn't really social media savvy, Katyusha already has some 200,000 followers on Instagram thanks to some of her music posts playing harp to modern covers. She knows how social media works, she'd make a great Queen probably."

Libby:

HIGH PRIESTESS NAMES FINAL THREE CANDIDATES FOR THRONE
In an unexpected announcement High Priestess Raisia has confirmed the identity of the three girls who will join Katyusha Andronikashivili on the Isle of the Goddess to be tested for their potential to be the new Queen should the critically injured Queen Viktoriya die. The 17 year old Katyusha was yesterday announced to be on the island by her father the Duke of Andronikashivili, it was apparently this that lead to the High Priestess confirming the identity of the others. "Having a daughter in the contention for being Queen gives a family certain advantages and while we would have prefered to keep their identity secret to avoid the distractions that is now not possible if we are to be fair to each of these families." The High Priestess went on to explain the problems with selecting the new Queen. "When we selected Queen Viktoriya we were a nation hidden from the world in many way, now our teens are globally connected, this means suddenly people are taking note of this process beyond our borders. I have already seen instagram and Twitter polls asking teenagers to rate or vote on people who the media have mentioned. This is a thing we can not stop but we can perhaps save some other girls from going through the problems of having social media criticise everything about them. The social media element is one that clearly when this process began thousands of years ago was never an issue, today many Lodjian girls have embraced things like YouTube and Twitter with fashion and style blogs, some getting millions of hits, this makes it hard to ignore."

The first of the final three candidates is Nataliya Kozel, she is 17 in two weeks time and is the eldest of three daughters and one son that Viktor Kozel, the nations current ambassador to the Commonwealth of the Unified Iwi has. She was a student at Gaia Grammar School, however when her father was posted to the Iwi around a year ago she moved there as her father thought it was important for her to be with her family. She has spent the last year studying at Hunter's Bay Girls School and is considered an "average" student by many of her peers. She has applied to go to University in The Iwi and was likely to start a course soon in Geography. It is thought her father will remain in The Iwi during the process however her Mother has travelled back with her. High Priestess Raisia explained the selection saying, "Nataliya was born on a full moon meaning if selected her reign is likely to a bright one, it was also a favouable set of omens that day showing that even if not blessed to be a Guardian of Sessifet she still has some role to play in Lodja."

The second of the three is Arina Pasternak, the just 18 year old daughter of Major Erik Pasternak, a Marine Commander and Lord of Heratok. The Major currently serves as a junior minister to the Conclave's General Lubik, and is therefore no stranger to the Island of the Goddess where he and his family have been frequent visitors. Major Pasternak has an older daughter called Mirabelle and a 7 year old son, his wife also has a 2nd husband, a minor nobleman who runs a small magaizne company. Arina is currently at Gaia University studying Journalism. The High Priestess said, "I have meet Arina a number of times, she is a bright and articulate young lady and carries herself with grace at all times."

The final of the three is 18 year old Tatiana Kohut who was actually removed from Initial Officer Training for the process. The Kohut family have a proud military history and two Regiments, the Kohut Lancers and Kohut Hussars bear the family name following being established in the 1800's by twin brothers Peter and Alexander Kohut. Tatiana's father is a fomer Air Force Squadron Leader who is currently one of the Headquarters staff for the Armed Forces who has overseen the modernisation of the military. Tatiana was in the process of training to become a medical officer with the Army when the High Priestess selected her saying, "Tatiana is a very intelligent young woman, her families heritage and dedication to the country is beyond doubt and breeding such as that is worthy of a Queen. Furthermore we have a priority of improving our armed forces and even though she has not passed out from training we have never had a Queen who has even attempted to do military service in her life."

It is unlikely a decision will be made public while Queen Viktoriya remains on life support.

Libby:

A-XX TO ENTER SERVICE IN THE NEW YEAR
Following a series of successful test flights the nations first domestically produced combat aircraft, the Lodjawings A-XX has begun production. The light ground attack aircraft will begin being delivered to squadrons in the new year with an initial order of some 50 aircraft placed. The aircraft can also double up as a reconnessance aircraft and will be used as a basic trainer for pilots joining the air-force. A member of the Air Force stated, "The new aircraft is going to be one of the most modern in our nation and will thankfully be the first step towards a more modern and more capable air-force. There are a lot of pilots within squadrons who are hoping to get selected to fly the aircraft."

So far no official name has been granted to the new aircraft which is still being refered to by its test designation of the A-XX. It is also hoped that the aircraft may get some overseas sales as Lodjawings have bid for a contract from Cascadia.

POTENTIAL QUEEN CANDIDATES BANNED FROM SOCIAL MEDIA
The four candidates to become Queen should Queen Viktoriya die have been banned from social media. The move comes after High Priestess Raisia meet with members of Palace security who raised concerns about the number of selifes and other photos the girls were posting to their various social media accounts and became worried that it could help people plan attacks within the Palace of the Goddess. The layout and design of the Palace has always been kept from public knowledge and has helped create a sense of mystique about the Palace, meanwhile the Island of the Goddess is more well known with many visitors having attended events on it. The four girls had posted a combined total of 72 images within 48 hours of being on the island however since the ban was imposed nothing has come from any of their accounts.

The High Priestess announced that the move meant "The four girls can now focus on getting to know the island, the palace and the people based here, all of it a vital part of being the Queen. As such it is important they focus on the matter in hand rather than digital media and the like." Many people however believe if the monarchy is to remain relevent to modern Lodja it needs to have a monarch who is in touch with the new technology. Out of the four Katyusha  Andronikashvili has the most social media followers with some 300,000 who follow her on instagram and YouTube where she performs musical covers. Arina Pasternak has some 200,000 mainly thanks to appearences in her father's magazines giving teen make up advice meanwhile Tatiana Kohut has some 180,000 followers and is considered rather quirky. The least followed of the four is Nataliya Kozel who has only 1,800 followers on social media, largely because she has not been active within Lodjain social circles having moved to The Iwi.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version