Author Topic: The Soul of Jugland  (Read 3653 times)

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Mktvartvelo (primary nation)
The Soul of Jugland
« on: October 18, 2020, 09:09:54 PM »

Rodfestnes Palace, Hernstadt

"Such a silence!", Albyna said with her voice still shivering. "Has it already ended?".

"I hope so", Roza replied. "But what does that mean now? What is going to happen?".

"Someone is approaching...", Astrid added. "I can hear the steps. They are coming closer...".

"Be calm, girls", Gottwyna said with calm but barely lively voice. "Let's just wait".

"Yes, Your Highness", the young women replied in unison.

"Captain! Captain! Come here" could be heard after the main door was knocked down and a group of armed men entered into the cellar.

"Don't worry ladies", one of the men said, "you are safe now".

"Oh", the man who just entered the room said, "could this be possible? Be careful with your language!".

"Sorry, sir", the younger man replied.

"Can you move?", the captain said. "Perfect", he continued as some of the young women nodded their head, "come with us, we have already the situation under control, we'll take you back to home as soon as possible".

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: The Soul of Jugland
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 10:32:47 PM »

Meanwhile, in Vantarr region, northwestern Jugland

"Mr. Governor", Unna said, "Mr. Njerve has come".

"Alright, Unna", Skagestad replied. "Tell him to immediately enter".

"Welcome", Skagestad added "as soon as Njerve entered. "I'm glad to have you back. How is everything going?".

"As good as everything can be", Njerve. "What do you need this time?".

"You may read about it in the newspaper", Skagestad answered. "That place where everyone seems to go mad...Helligstadt".

"I believe so", Njerve added. "Is that? I didn't feel it was something serious".

"It may not", Skagestad replied, "but I haven't time for that thing, with keeping things in order before the election. I have reports coming to my office from nearby counties and the mayor is desperate, more and more people keep coming to that village for some reason".

"Wouldn't it be rather the word of the police?", Njerve insisted.

"Maybe", Skagestad replied, "but we can not afford it. At least I can't, the government is already pressure to avoid any kind of unrest before and during the elections...".

"I don't expect you to become directly involved and solve the issue", Skagestad continued. "Just to there and prepare me a report. The information I received every day just feels like nonsense".

"Alright", Njerve replied. "As you wish. It doesn't feel such a fuss".

"You're probably right", Skagestad replied. "I'll be calmer if you deal with this issue. You can read that dossier in your way there. Not that the information is very trusthworthy, rather contradictory, but it may help you to get an idea of the situation. One of my men will be waiting you in your way. He's young and rather unexperienced, but he's from the area and knows it well".

"I see", Njerve. "I'll tell you as soon as I can. It sounds boring as hell but I'll do my best".

"Great", Skagestad said. "Now let me invite you to a whisky before you leave".

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 02:04:23 AM »
Orkdalane Military Hospital

"Could I enter?", Theudbald Anthonsen asked. "Oh, I see you can already walk, Your Highness?".

"Yes, I do, doctor", Gottwyna answered.

"I'm glad to hear that, Your Highness", Theudbald replied. "Do I assume you are feeling better?".

"Indeed", the patient answered. "When will I be able to return to Enno Lyscei?".

"Do you mean Ostermark?", Theudbald replied. "I don't think that's possible right now, due to the situation there. We would like to check a few things before you can leave the hospital".

"I understand", she replied. "Where are the girls?".

"Ah, they are fine", the doctor answered. "They were sent to a hospital in Grendalen. If you need to communicate with them, just let me know".

"It's alright", Gottwyna replied. "Let them have some rest".

"Hello!", a woman said as she entered the room. "Ah, I see you are already there, doctor".

"Your Highness, let me introduce you to Doctor Haugen", Theudbald explained, "she's our resident psychologist...for the last two weeks".

"That's right", Dr. Haugen replied with a smile. "Nice to meet you, Your Highness", she told the patient, "if you have time for a talk, let me know, it wil be my pleasure to help you with anything".

"I'll think about it...", the patient replied. "I'd rather like to rest a bit now".

"Of course", Dr. Haugen answered.

"We'll leave you then", Theudbald added. "If you need anything, just tell anyone and we'll do what I can, Your Highness".

« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:01:12 AM by paralipomena »

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 08:30:13 PM »

On the way to Helligstadt

"You must be Amalric", Njerve said. "Get on the car".

"Yes, Sir", Amalric replied.

"This is Sigivald", Njerve said. "He will be our chauffeur, or at least he will act as such".

"It's a pleasure, Sir", the young man said. Sigivald, on the other hand, remained silent.

"The governor told me you are from this area", Njerve asked. "Is that true?".

"I am from Isoldmark, a small town about 25 miles from Helligstadt, Sir", Amalric answered. "As I did the military service in Bruntarr, not too far from here, we crossed often through these counties, although I don't really know Helligstadt that well".

"I see", Njerve replied. "This area looks quite desolated, isn't it?", he continued. "But it was barely touched by the war if I'm not wrong".

"This county was one of the first ones to fall in the rebellion I believe", Amalric explained. "That was before I did my military service, Sir. But then I could hear many stories. The rebellion was defeated here in a few weeks. There wasn't intense fighting at first, I suppose...But there were many executions, including landowners and the local nobility. Many people fled. I remember crossing this roads as a kid. There were many vineyards and flowery fields. But that had already ended when I joined the army".

"Yes", Njerve replied, "I have heard similar stories. Were you mobilized to the front, by the way?".

"Only for 18 months", Amalric answered. "We were sent to Vuneva, in the north. But the rest of the time I stayed in the south".

"I see", Njerve replied. "How did you know the governor, if I can ask?".

"A relative worked as assistant for him for a few years, before he was sent to Albrektberg", Amalric answered.

"I see", Njerve replied.

"Did you fight in the war, Sir?", Amalric suddenly asked. "If you don't mind the question...".

"No problem", Njerve replied with a smile. "I fought for three years, the first years", he answered. "In the last years I did another kind of job...important but different".

"I see, Sir", Amalric replied. "Thanks".

"It was never close to these lands, however", Njerve added. "It's been a long time since the last time I was in this region, a long time".

"But now that you asked, this man fought much longer in the war than both you and me", Njerve continued while looking more joyously than before to Sigivald.

"Ah", Amalric simply said. Sigivald remained silent.

"Why are all these people marching?", Njerve asked a few minutes later.

"They...are on pilgrimage I guess", Amalric replied. "They are going to Gyldenhus, I believe".

"Gyldenhus?", Njerve asked.

"Yes...", Amalric answered, "it was the country house of the family, I forgot the name, the Baron's family".

"It's where, well", Amalric continued, "where the incident happened".

"Ah, yes", Njerve replied. "I understand".

"The Baron was killed during the first days of the rebellion I believe", Amalric added. "As they were most of the members of the family. It was said that one or two of his daughters were raped, and they died afterwards...Well, those were the stories that people told back them, I'm not sure. A sad story...only the Baron's wife and the girl survived, I believe".

"The girl?", Njerve asked.

"Yes, Sir", Amalric answered, "well, I mean the woman who started this incident...".

"Ah, sure", Njerve replied. "Of course, I read about it".

"Are we going to Gyldenhus, Sir?", Amalric asked.

"No", Njerve, "we're going to stay in Helligstadt. I need to talk with the local commissioner first".

"We need to turn to the right then, Sir", Amalric said.

"Alright", Sigivald added.

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 06:15:22 PM »
Orkdalane Military Hospital

"Your Highness", Hildegard said, "excuse me, did I wake you up?".

"No, don't worry", Gottwyna replied. "A long time since we saw for last time. How are you, sister?".

"I am fine, thanks", Hildegard answered. "I'm glad you recovered sooner than expected, Mr. Konrad informed. I guess you had to suffer a lot".

"Let's not talk about that", Gottwyna replied. "I heard that you have lived in Albrektberg lately".

"Of course", Hildegard said. "Yes, that's right", she continued, "the Shrine was under reparation lately, the works should end soon. And we thought that if it was safer to stay in Albrektberg, both for our safety and the administration of the daily affairs".

"I can understand...", Gottwyna replied. "I am aware of the situation. Emmeline talked me in detail about your efforts during the last two years. You seem to have impressed her for you work".

"Thanks, Your Highness", Hildegard replied. "It's a honour that my work was recognized, although it was not me alone. Both Emmeline and late Waldys were very helpful...We tried that our duties were able to continue even at that complicated reality, as far as it was possible".

"Yes", Gottwyna said, "I'm sure that was the case".

"Excuse me", a young nurse said, while she entered the room. "I hope I did not interrupt you, Your Highness...But it's time for suppertime".

"Alright", Gottwyna said. "I will have it today at the garden again, if you don't mind...It's such a lovely day. Come with me, sister, we'll continue our conversation while we walk a bit".

"Of course, Your Highness", Hildegard replied.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:01:50 AM by paralipomena »

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 03:12:09 PM »

Helligstadt Town Center

"Local commissioner Ewald Jakobson, I assume?", Njerve said, as soon as he was invited to enter in the room.

"Indeed", Ewald replied. "Welcome, you can sit down. Would you like a drink? The governor told me you were coming, I'll do as much as I can do to help you with your task".

"No, thank you", Njerve answered. "Indeed, I'll do as much as I can do to solve this...problem".

"I hope so", Ewald said. "We thought this would be something temporary, but it keeps going on and on. It's as if people here had lost completely their mind".

"It is a bit like that indeed", Njerve nodded. "I haven't seen anything like that in these years of war. From outside, I'd dare to say it feels almost comical. I mean, when you read the story in the press, the reports...".

"I understand", Ewald replied. "It's a bit unrreal, indeed".

"Although I hoped to have a clearer view once I was here", Njerve continued. "There is a bit of, let's say, literary element even in the reports. A closer view would be more helpful. I guess that's why the governor wanted me to see this".

"Sure", Ewald said. "Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you. We're busier with more practical issues right now, but I'll do what we can".

"Thanks", Njerve said. "I read the mother died".

"Yes", Ewald explained, "that's true. She died that same night. It was likely a heartattack".

"Yes, I read so", Njerve said. "What do you know about the girl? Did you know the family?".

"Honestly", Ewald replied, "I didn't know personally the family, but they were an important family in the county, everyone knew them, or at least they heard about them. Certainly, they were not as important as the ancestors were, I guess. But they had still an important political and social influence in the region. It's true the Baron's brother was a minister not a long time ago, but it's not they were exactly influential in Albrekberg anymore. Just another countryside nobility...They owned their lands, and that was pretty much. The youngest brothers were working either in higher education or the bureaucracy, I don't remember".

"What happened to them, to that family", Ewald continued, "was certainly a tragedy. The young lady, Wassyga I believe she is called, was lucky enough that the war surprised her in Alanemark I believe.

“Was she really staying there?”, Njerve asked.

“Indeed”, Ewald answered. “There are witnesses that she stayed there, including the relative whose house she stayed. Before her travel, people in the house witnessed that they were in communication recently, there were letters and calls. Apparently, she mentioned she was preparing for a travel back home as soon as possible. But such travel was never really prepared. She just disappeared...and appeared here that night. There are not witnesses during the travel, and she did not seem to clearly know how she travelled”.

“Doesn’t she know it?”, Njerve asked.

“He gave contradictory statements”, Ewald replied. “That’s all I know...I couldn’t talk with her. But she mentioned both a motorbike and a horse. She gave many details about them. But the family motorbike was stolen during the war, and that horse died long ago. Obviously, it could have been any horse or a similar bike, who knows”.

“But she must have travelled somehow”, Njerve insisted. “Even if the roads were reopened and the area assured by our faces, it would be still a dangerous travel for a woman alone”.

“I don’t know”, Ewald replied. “Maybe someone took her, a friend or who knows. Or by hitchhiking, we can’t tell. But nobody Alanemark seems to believe she could know someone who could drive her here. The travel likely happened at home. We tried to find witnesses from the usual stop areas who may see anything. But we couldn’t find anyone”.

“I see”, Njerve said, who was finding the issue more difficult that he had imagined. “What about the brother?”.

“The brother?”, Ewald asked. “Ah, he died three years ago nearby Vuneva I believe. He was a soldier”.

“That’s what I read”, Njerve replied. “Could someone just pretend to be the brother?”.

“I guess that’s possible”, Ewald answered. “But who and why? We found that absurd. There were not clues anyway”.

“You’re probably right”, Njerve replied. “Would it be possible to talk with the girl?”.

“I don’t think so”, Ewald answered. “I believe she lost her mind. All I know it’s that she was staying in Grensarr hospital, not too far from here. You may try if you wish, although I doubt it would be very helpful”.

“I see”, Njerve said. “You’re probably right. I don’t think I have more questions”.

“I hope I was able to answer your questions”, Ewald replied. “Before you leave the county, we’d be glad to invite you to lunch one day”.

“Thanks, local commissioner”, Njerve replied. “I have to go, they are waiting me downtown”.

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 08:45:15 PM »

Elvabard Palace, Albrektberg

"As the point 7 has finally being discussed and settled, we can continue with the extraordinary motion that we talked before, Your Highness", Ermen said.

"Yes, thanks Ermen", Gottwyna said. "What do you think about it?".

"It seems a both banal and complicated issue I guess", Eydys answered. "There is obviously the social and even public order dimension of this issue. The authorities had pressed us to take a stance in order to solve the problem".

"I'm afraid they want that it ceases to be their problem", Ermen said. "The issue is certainly confusing, even absurd...to be fair not sure what it has to do with us anyway".

"Our Order remains the highest autority on spiritual affairs, even as time as these", Yngvildra intervened. "It is therefore our affair too, we like it or not. I feel we must address this issue as soon as possible. Everyone expects us to take a stance, the people who had been already involved on it included. Obviously, we must consider all aspects on this....situation, as Priestess Eydys has declared. However, we must offer a serious answer. Let's consider the issue carefully".

"Well-spoken", Gottwyna replied. "We need to take this issue seriously, no matter how absurd it could seem at first look".

"Given the circumstances", Hildegard said, "we must think carefully, I agree. We're moving in difficult waters, Your Highness. We need to advance the needs of our Order. I believe that this situation could actually strengthen the Order, if we act wisely. We could take this movement on our own hands, control the direction it is taking for our purposes and under our authority. I'd say the authorities will be happy that we take this problem, and we will be in a more dynamic position".

"What are you exactly proposing? Not sure if I'm following you now", Gottwyna suddenly asked.

"This story, this legend", Hildegard continued, "seems to have attracted many, including many loyal worshipped of our temples. Whatever their merits is, this community is growing. I agree that the reports depict a chaotic image, a situation that create us some problems. But we may tame it, building a new temple that takes advantage of the following and interest this situation seems to have created, not just in the area but the region and even the country".

"It's not a bad idea, I guess", Ermen said. "The construction of a new temple in the area would be probably well-received by the villagers, it could help the local population in a more orderly manner".

"I guess you are not wrong", Gottwyna replied. "It is not an idea without merits, if you think about such details. However, we must not forget the nature of the problem, anyway. It is has been a doctrine of our Order that such appearances are not possible. It is our doctrine that it is not possible for mortals to leave the underworld, so even accepting a rewritten interpretation would go against our spiritual authority at the end. Even more, considering how long that alleged person has been dead. Obviously, we all heard such folk stories, but we can't even reduce our Order to that level".

"That sounds reasonable, Your Highness", Auda replied. "Yes, I agree we can not allow to get carried away for the general circumstances of the moment, not matter how difficult our task seems to be".

"From that point of view, I guess", Ermen said, "it would not be a good idea to do otherwise".

"Maybe could we prepare a final report about the Order position on this issue, for our next meeting?", Yngvildra asked.

"I can start the preparations as soon as possible", Ermen said. "Does everyone agree then?".

"Of course, it certainly feels so", Hildegard said. "We'll be in a better position then, to discuss any changes in that meeting".

"Yes, that seems reasonable, Priestess Hildegard", Auda added. "Let's continue with the next point, then...".

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 03:30:29 PM »

Grensarr hospital

"I'm sorry I had to make you wait, Mr. Njerve", Dr. Berger said. "We had to deal with a rather unruly patient. It took me more time than I expected".

"I understand", Njerve replied. "I'm thankful you could have found some time after all".

"We're not usually that busy here", the doctor replied, "although we have had recently more work that we did before...The local commissioner told me about the case you are behind. Not sure what you expect from me, but I'll try to give you some help".

"I was told the patient is not here anymore, right?", Njerve asked.

"That's right", the doctor answered. "I authorized that the patient was sent with a relative. Although she barely did any progress lately, it's not that we could help her much, and his family has certainly the means to take care of her. So I authorized the transfer".

"I see", Njerve said. "Still, I hope my visit is not in vain. I hope you can help me with certain doubts I have about her case".

"Sure", the doctor replied, "you're free to ask any question, I'd be glad to help...Obviously, there are certain things I'm not able to share. But sharing some information wouldn't hurt...I know well that this case is having some impact in our distant province. I'm willing to do anything which is my hand to help you".

"You interviewed the patient several times, is that right", Njerve asked.

"That's true, certainly", the doctor answered. "Although not sure if I call those interviews anyway. But I took care of the issue immediately. She was obviously a very important patient, and there was pressure on us to solve the issue, I must say".

"Besides those issues", Njerve continued, "which was your assessment?".

"Well", the doctor explained, "not sure what I could say. The patient was barely conscious during two days. I visited her while she was staying at the hospital. She was clearly under shock. I guess you have read them. I wouldn't take too seriously those first notes. She mentioned a few things during those days, that I'm afraid the local commissioner and his team have unfortunately contributed to create a mountain about it. In my medical opinion, those were not very trustworthy. You know, all those mentions about a horse, a motorbike...I'd say they provided some information about her state of mind then, at the first stage as patient, but not much more. They were very contradictory, not very narrative".

"I see", Njerve said, sounding slightly disappointing. "How is she now? Would I be able to talk to her, eventually?".

"Oh, I'm afraid that's not likely", the doctor replied. "Although she's not currently my patient, I wouldn't recommend it. After a few days, she recovered consciousness but suffered aphasia. After that brief recovery, she fell, and has remains so far, in a state of catatonia. She barely answers to external stimuli nor relates to environment. Not only I wouldn't recommend it as a doctor, but I don't think it would be very helpful with your investigation, I'm afraid...I don't think her relative would approve either. She remains mostly isolated so far. We only visit her once every few weeks since she was transfered. But I'm afraid that she has not improved much since she left".

"I see", Njerve replied. "That's what I heard. I don't think I have more questions then, doctor".

"I hope that I was able to help you, Mr. Njerve", the doctor added. "I'll tell you if there is suddenly anything that I can do to help you...Send greetings to the local commissioner if you meet him again".

"I'll do", Njerve said before leaving the office. "Thanks, doctor".

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 05:13:18 PM »

Elvabard Palace, Albrektberg

"Asketyll called, Your Highness", Eydys said. "The preparations are ready. As soon as we return from the ministry, your travel to the shrine is prepared".

"Thanks, Eydys", Gottwyna replied. "Wait a minute", she continued, "you may help me with this issue...You have remained in Albrektberg during all this time, isn't it?".

"That's right, Your Highess", Eydys answered. "I stayed here since I moved from Fjellstadt, about...3.5 years ago I believe".

"Excellent", Gottwyna replied. "Look this papers, the names I market in yellow...Do you know those names to the Council?".

"I'm afraid I don't recognize all the names", Eydys answered, "but certainly some of them sound familiar enough...Hausen, Gerhilda Edda...Yes, that must be Priestess Edda from Sandheim , she attended a conference here early this year".

"From Sandheim, did you say?", Gottwyna asked.

"Yes, that's right, Your Highness", "Eydys answered. "She comes from the Vakkervann temple".

"I see", Gottwyna replied. "What happened to Fryda?".

"Fryda?", Eydys asked. "Ah yes, I think she retired, Your Highess....about one year ago?".

"But wasn't she preparing Auda, from the Welhaven-Boe family?", Gottwyna asked.

"I believe so...", Eydys replied. "I'm not sure about the details. But it's my understanding that she moved to an education role in Emrta".

"I can see", Gottwyna said. "What about these names? How long they have been serving those committees in the Order?".

"I can't say, Your Highness", Eydys replied. "I can recognize some of the names, from some conferences and courses that I assisted Priestess Hildegard through the country in the last year or so".

"Those three", Eydys continued after a pause, pointing three marked names on one of the papers, "were novices not a long time ago, but they were promoted likely due the lack of apprentice in some regions as consequence of the reduction of residences for some local sanctuaries. About the male names, I feel I recognize two of them...I'm sure they were magistrates who recently joined us from the provinces".

"Yes", Gottwyna replied, "I think those surnames sound familiar to me...".

They were suddenly interrupted by a phole call. "Oh, it must me Ermen...It's getting late, let's prepare for our visit. Tell Emma to come her immediately".

"Yes, Your Highness", Eydys said before leaving the office.

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 10:13:35 PM »

Somewhere in Helligstadt

"This certainly seems a picturesque place", Njerve said, looking the room.

"It is, I suppose, Sir", Amalric replied. "It's just an old tavern, turned into a restaurant, sort of...It's popular enough for the people here".

"The food is not great, I'd say", Njerve described with a smile, "but the place is certainly comfy, in its own way".

"I suppose it's the kind of place that both locals and visitors feel authentic enough", Amalric said.

"Not sure if that really sounds like a compliment", Njerve replied. "But yes, I guess that's a way to describe it".

"Was your visit to the hospital useful enough, Sir?", Amalric asked.

"Let's not talk about work, even less here", Njerve replied, without losing his smile.

"I'm sorry, Sir", Amalric replied.

"No problem", Njerve said. "If you want to have anything more, I'm paying today".

"Thanks", Amalric replied, "although I believe I had enough for now".

"As you prefer", Njerve said. "How do you feel about the future?".

"What do you mean, Sir?", a surprised Amalric asked.

"The war is over", Njerve said. "They are likely reducing the size of the military and demovilizing most of soldiers...assuming the peace lasts long enough. The army may go through some restructuring, so it's a bit of unpredictable right now. It will return to the hands of the politicians again".

"I haven't thought about it, Sir", Amalric. "I'd need to think carefully about it...But right now, I'll continue here".

"Sure", Njerve replied. "I didn't mean to dissuade you, of course. C'mon, I invite you to another round, we're not driving anyway".

"Alright", Amilric replied. "Thanks, Sir".

"Sigivald sent me a message", Njerve continued. "He's coming soon, but we have still some time".

"Weren't you going to visit the local commissionner...Sir?", Amalric asked.

"Oh", Njerve answered, "he invited me to dinner, with his family, but I had to decline his invitation. The governor wants to see me as soon as possible, so I need to rest as I'll be leaving tomorrow morning".

"I see", Amilric added, more sighing than talking, as the waiter came with the drinks.

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 04:46:40 PM »

Skjultenslottarr Hill, Albrektberg's outskirts

"Oh", Meyn said, "it has been a long time, certainly...how is your family doing?".

"Did you know each other?", Tordenskjold said. "What a surprise! A pleasant surprise I hope! Even in sad circumstances as this".

"It is certainly", Larsen replied. "My father died a few years ago. My mother has been living in Emrta for a while".

"Ah, I see", Meyn replied. "I'm sorry about your father. I hope you have been doing fine".

"I can't complain, mister", Larsen answered. "For good or for bad, the war has ended. We may be demobilized soon, as with the reforms introduced...it's difficult to say".

"I always say that it would be a pity if the right people left the army now", Tordenskjold said. "I'm not certainly an expert on military affairs, but I'd say our people are needed the most in the armed forces in the current circumstances!".

"I wouldn't say certainly the most now", Meyn intervened. "It's been a long time since I left the service, but that wouldn't be really correct, Hraban. But it's one of the right places where the right people should remain. That's certainly true. It's not a mistake we should make. Obviously, Godric is completely free to choose his own road! I'm sure there will be thousands of good soldiers pushing for the right road even in difficult circumstances like this".

"There are, certainly, there are many of them, I am certain", Larsen replied. "I haven't decided yet. We'll see".

"Excuse me", Tordenskjold continued, changing of topic, "unfortunately I wasn't able to see our friend Ragnbjorg in a long time...But is that the widow, right?".

"Yes, Hraban", Meyn asnwered, "that's Mrs. Herbjornsrud. He's talking with Hubert Ibsen. To be honest I only recognized him because I watched him on the news this week".

"I met him once", Tordenskjold replied. "I didn't like the guy, but I guess he must have some qualities if Ragnbjorg really trusted him".

"Who are you conspiring against, old fellows?", Erwyn Moen asked as he approached toward the group with another man. "I don't think this is the right place", he added with a smile.

"Ah, Erwyn!", Meyn said. "You managed to scare me for a second! I'm glad to see you again. How have you been doing?".

"We are doing fine, our second son arrived a few months ago", Moen answered.

"Nice to hear, Erwyn!", Tordenskjold intervened. "I hope he will be able to see a better world than the one we are seeing with our own eyes...What are you doing lately?".

"I hope that as well", Moen answered. "Not much, I must say. I was involved with some research, let's say".

"I heard so...", Meyn said. "Tell me, did you visit Helligstadt, is that right?".

"I visited many places lately", Moen answered. "But yes, I visited the province recently. It's too soon to tell you anything, though. But in the right moment, there are some things I'll be glad to show you".

"I'm sure it will be interesting", Meyn replied.

"Oh, I forgot....", Moen added. "This is Hermann. He worked with our friend in one of this companies. He's being active in Emrta. We were discussing about his impressions".

"Nice to meet you", Tordenskjold said. "It's a pleasure", Meyn added.

"The pleasure is certainly mine", the man said. "I could only meet Mr. Herbjornsrud in political meetings in the last weeks, but he certainly talked me a lot of about you. I'm glad to meet you".

"I hope that bastard did not talk bad behind our backs!", Tordenskjold joked.

"He did not, he did not", Hermann replied with a forced smile.

"What did you do before working for Ragnbjorg, if I may ask?", Meyn asked Hermann.

"Oh, I was a school teacher before", he answered. "Mr. Herbjornrud was kind of enough to offer me a position in a pharma company after we randomly met one morning in Amkhvar. He spent a lot of time there during the war, as you probably now. He then invited me to join the Freedom Party, which was certainly a pleasure".

"I tend to trust my friends' choices", Tordenskjold replied, "so I'm sure he chose wisely".

"Thanks", Hermann replied. "I did the best I could".

"Excuse me", a young woman said, approaching the group. "The ceremony will start soon, as the priestesses have arrived. If you wish, you can already approach the area around altar next to that hill".

"Yes, of course", Moen replied. "Let's go, friends".

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 06:26:38 PM »

Vantarr region, northwestern Jugland

"I hope your mission was not too troublesome", Skagestad said.

"No, Mr. Governor", Njerve replied. "I'd even say it was interested, a different kind of business. I'm not sure if my work was rather useful though. I was not able to meet everyone who could have show some lights on the issue, while other people didn't give me the information I expected".

"Don't worry", Skagestad said. "Your report was excellent, you did certainly a good job. It helped me to understand the situation there a bit better. It was certainly a strange situation".

"Yes, it was certainly", Njerve replied. "Not something that I expected myself investigating, to be honest".

"Indeed", Skagestad added. "But right now, we have more important things to deal right now", he continued. "Things are changing quite fast lately...Our tasks have increased since the last time we met".

"I heard you were moving to Albrektberg", Njerve said, "...or wherever".

"It's possible", Skagestad replied. "Although for now I'll stay here for a while. But that you mention, that's exactly why I called you to come as soon as it was possible".

"Sure", Njerve replied. "What's the issue? I thought my comment did not sound rude, Mr. Governor".

"No, no", "Skagestad replied with a smile. "It's fine. You have probably heard about minister Heimarr Garborg, I mean, General Garborg...He mentioned that they were looking for a person for certain special job. During the conversation,  we discussed by chance your last experiences, and I just thought you were the right person for such delicate task as the one they look to solve".

"It's a honour, Mr. Governor", Njerve replied with a smile. "What's exactly this issue or task about?".

"I'm afraid I don't know much about the nature of the job", Skajestad answered. "As it's a very confidential one, it seemed so at least. But if you are interested, and you're able to go to Albrektberg as soon as possible, I'll take care of the transport. I'll call you as soon as I call the ministry and give you all information that I can before you leave".

"Sure, Mr. Governor", Njerve. "I'll have time during the week".

"Excellent", Skagestad replied. "If you excuse me, we'll continue later. I have another important meeting to prepare that requires my time, I'm afraid. I'll call you later as I promised".

"Thanks, Mr. Governor", Njerve said before leaving the room.

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2021, 12:23:43 PM »

Downtown Albrektberg

"Welcome Major", Holmboe said. "Excuse me, if I could not receive you in the ministry, as we're busy lately with the planning of the transfer to the capital...and other more serious issues".

"No problem, sir", Njerve replied.

"Do you know the General, don't you, Major?", Holmboe asked. "If I'm not wrong you attended to the Academy...".

"The Paus-Eyelund Military Academy, Sir", Njerve replied as Holmboe seemed to fail to find the right words. "Although I did not meet personally the General back them...but he was widely respected, I can remember well".

"That's right, that's right", Holmboe replied. "General Garborg was positively impressed by your efforts lately, particularly in Morarrland and Vikenmark".

"Thanks, sir", Njerve replied. "What is this important issue, though? Governor Skagestad barely said anything to me".

"Naturally", Holmboe simply replied. "This is an important issue, but we thought, after considering it carefully, that you were the right person for the job. The war may be over, but it demands a last mission for you".

"What kind of mission, if I may ask?", Njerve asked.

"The peace and order will not easy to build and keep", Holmboe replied. "Despite all the promises that democracy may bring to our country, we don't reject as such of course, our nation is still facing a complicated situation. It's our understanding that if one of the pillars of our nation fails, the whole building may be destroyed soon enough. That's why we are forced to act, even in the shadows. That's why we ask your contribution".

"All information that I give you is, of course, confidential", Holmboe continue, while passing Njerve one dossier. "This time, you must act completely alone. When you are ready to start the operation and gather enough information, our man in the armed forces will contact you...The names and places in the dossier were removed, of course, but it will you an idea of the nature of the job...You can destroy it as soon as it possible. Mr. Skagestad told us that we can trust you, and we do. The future of our country may be at stake. But I'm not forcing you to give us an answer right now. Take your time, and think carefully. We'll contact you in the coming days, and we'll send a man so you can start your work. Of course, all the costs will be covered by the ministry...indirectly".

"Alright", Njerve replied. "If that's all, I'll think about it carefully".

"Perfect", Holmboe said. "We count on you".

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 11:50:10 AM »

Nearby Brunnmark

"Welcome, Major", Alvestrand said. "I'm sorry I had to make you wait so many minutes, but it's been a rather busy morning".

"No problem", Njerve replied. "I have time".

"Good to know", Alvestrand replied with a not entirely friendly smile. "Your message rather surprise me. I did not expect it, I must say. I was not planning to stay here for long, however, as I had lately some unexpected business to attend".

"I'm glad you were able to find some time", Njerve replied.

"The pleasure is mine...", Alvestrand. "Is my understanding that your visit is in official capacity as a ministry's representative...? If I wasn't wrongly informed, it did not feel as your petition followed the convential form of communication from our previous relations with the ministry".

"We could say that I have only been recently involved with the ministry", Njerve answered. "It's not mine a conventional visit, I must say. Let's say it's just a private communication between you and me, Mr. Alvestrand".

"I see", Alvestrand replied. "That's certainly both surprising and unprecedented. And how could I help you - or the ministry?".

"We'd be in need to some information", Njerve started explaining, "that you'd be in a good position to provide, according to our sources".

"What kind of information?", Alvestrand asked while Njerve handed him a small folder with a few papers. "This is certainly a peculiar and very specific kind of information, I must say. Why these names and these group of people in particular? Must I assume it is some kind of criminal investigation?".

"No, not exactly", Njerve said. "The reasons are both confidential and unofficial, I'd say".

"I understand that", Alvestrand replied. "But it's not a kind of information that we deal often, and certainly not me personally. How do you believe that I could be helpful, and why do you believe that I'm a position to help you, Major?".

"I could say that some of your activities", Njerve replied, "let's say some of your business, have catched the attention and interets of some law enforcement agencies, l was informed. I'd say it would be in the interest of boh sides...".

"Oh", Alvestrand intervened, while comfortably stretching his arms, "so is it just an unofficial blackmail, then?".

"Not at all", Njerve replied. "But I'd say a good relation between both sides could be helpful for your business. I'll do as much as I can, if you were so kind to help us to get some information that unfortunately we're struggling to obtain by more conventional ways".

"Not sure why you are after these people or they are activities", Alvestrand replied, "but I don't think what I have to do with them. In any case, the war is over".

"It is certainly", Njerve replied, "and fortunately. By no mean I implied they were related to you, or your business...But we thought that you have the means to obtain the information, that we haven't. We'd be very grateful if you could help us".

"I see, I see", Alvestrand replied. "I'd need to think about it. By no means I have the confidence that my capacities allow me to help you in this unexpected issue".

"I understand", Njerve. "You can have your time to think about it, of course...Contact me directly if you can find anything. We'd be helpful if you can deal with it as soon as possible".

"I'll do", Alvestrand replied, "I'll do my best. If you don't mind, and if you don't have any more question, I have some issues to attend before preparing for an important business travel".

"I understand", Njerve replied. "No, that was all. Thank you for your time, Mr. Alvestrand. We'd be very grateful if you could help us on this issue".

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 10:36:30 PM »

Downtown Midtenstadt

"Excuse me if you waited too long", Hexum said.

"No problem", Njerve replied. "It's warm enough here".

"Indeed", Hexum said. "Not exactly cosy, I guess? But calm enough. This local is ours, after all, by that I mean all our employees work for us as well".

"I see", Njerve replied. "I did not really expect that".

"Didn't you?", Hexum said. "Well, of course, it's only temporary, it's related to another of our investigations, of course. It will be soon dismantly, obviously. But I thought it was the right place for our last meeting. I was rather busy lately. We are, we could say, running out of time, as you can imagine. Was your first time in Midtenstadt?".

"Yes, certainly", Njerve answered. "It still feels a bit absurd they cedided to establish a city here. I still remember when I was in the base".

"Ah, you were there...interesting", Hexum replied. "In any case, we are really satisfied with your work, the information was very useful. I'm glad our business had a successful end. Thanks for your service, Major".

"You're welcome", Njerve replied. "It's always a pleasure for me to help as much I can".

"By the way", Hexum added, "have you decided about your future?".

"Not yet", Njerve simply replied.

"I see", Hexum said. "Here, the situation is rather unclear, giving the drama in the main square, as you can imagine, but we hope order and reason will prevail".

"Out of curiosity", Njerve said, "was that one in Fjellstad also our work?"

"That's one possibility, you may say", Hexum amusingly replied. "They say it's better when you have to leave a confusing trail, after all".

"I see", Njerve said. "I hope you're right".

"Indeed", Hexum. "We can simply relax once this unexpected, maybe both unpleasing and pleasing, affair is over. Hraban will contact you as soon as possible for you costs".

"Wouldn't you like a drink before leaving, Major?", Hexum added.

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 02:16:09 PM »
Downtown Hernstadt

"Glad to see you, Major", Aalien said. "Have you been here for long?".

"I only arrived yesterday", Njerve replied. "I admit that I was surprised by your message. The last thing I read that was you joined that constitutional convention".

"Indeed", Aalien replied. "When was the last time we met? Maybe mid-2018? The circumstances have clearly changed, we have in a completely different moment. I wouldn't have imagined, or accepted, some of the things we are experiencing today, but here we are. By the way, Baldwin told me you finally made a decision".

"You're right", replied Njerve, who did not interrupt Aalien while he was talking. "I already left the service. I'll become effective only at the end of the month".

"I see", Aalien said. "That was my understanding. I would say that's a pity, not a good thing to lose our best men, even more at times like these".

"By the way", Aalien added, "I assume you know Rimfeldt, right?".

"Thanks..." Njerve replied. "I'd say everyone knows him now, isn't it", he answered. "But yes, I had the chance to meet him a few times, maybe twice, during those years. Why?".

"As you can imagine", Aalien replied. "The next months will not be easy. We hope not, but Hexum told me they are feeling that things may go out of hand. Probably not now, but in the long term. As political tensions may increase, even in the National Council, or I may say, precisely in the National Council".

"Yes", Njerve replied, "I guess that's a chance. Although I hope the situation is able to be controlled".

"Indeed", Aalien replied. "But we may need something more than hopes. Fortunately, we have very competent people - but that may not be enough. We may need someone who we can trust without reservations, and who realize where the moment is moving...or it may move toward".

"I see", Njerve replied. "What do you have in mind?".

"As you can imagine", Aalien replied. "I have some contacts, although I didn't work with Osgard personally. I forgot about what projects you may have in mind right now, as I imagine you didn't take that decision for nothing. However....what about, along the nation, starting a new chapter in Midtenstadt?".

« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 03:51:06 PM by paralipomena »

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2021, 09:16:54 PM »

Downtown Albrektberg

"Welcome", Germund Garborg said. "Come in...I am glad you changed your mind".

"Thanks, Attorney General", Hramnberaht Kjaerstad replied.

"I hope you'll like your office", Garborg said. "This hall was the main one in the ministry. Your office will be the one who belonged to the Deputy Minister".

"An unexpeced honour, I assume?", Kjaerstad said. "However, I have a question".

"Alright", Garborg replied. "Go on".

"Why did you offer me the post?", Kjaerstad asked. "I imagine you have a large list of candidates waiting for a promotion".

"Well, I believe I partly told you...", Garborg replied. "But it's not a secret. The report from Stromendalen was certainly pleasing. As you may know, the abolition of the military courts and the demand to review the military code, as well as the last justice reforms are causing us a headache bigger than we expected. I needed someone with both personal and professional experience in that field. And the High Decree 107/21 gaves us the chance of promote personnel following the transfer from the Department of Defense. And I assumed, not sure wrongly, that you did not want to spend the rest of your career dealing with cases regarding administrative protocols, indiscipline sanctions and maybe petty officers...".

"I suppose so", Kjaerstad replied. "I'm thankful for this opportunity, obviously".

"Good to know", Garborg said. "And since I'll be spending most of my time in Midtenstadt, I would like to have someone here, in Albrektberg, who I can both trust and that will be more independent from the Department of Justice. This situation is new, with our state still rebuilding and reforming itself as we speak, as we need capable and disciplined servants of the state, even more giving the recent budget constraint we're facing with the increasing of work...". He was suddenly interrupted by the knocking of the door.

"Mister Attorney General, I have finally brought...", a voice said while opening the door. "Excuse me! I had no idea you were in a meeting...".

"No, it is alright", Garborg replied. "Come in", he added, "I was close to mention you to Mr. Kjaerstad".

"I introduce you to Albyna Zapffe", he continued. "You'll work under his office", he added looking at him.

"It's a pleasure, Mr. Kjaerstad", she said. "If you excuse, I leave you the dossiers here, Mr. Attorney General, I must return to work. We have much delayed work".

"Likewise", Kjaerstad simply added, just before she left the room.

"Mrs. Zapffe comes from Albrektberg 7th District prosecutor's office", Garborg explained Kjaerstad. "She may be inexperienced, but she left both positive impressions and results behind. Let me know if you find her useful. But for the time being, I'm afraid I will not be able to increase the personnel of your office".

"I understand", Kjaerstad replied. "I'll let you know, sir".

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2021, 08:34:27 PM »

"Good work", Kjaerstad said. "Not always we can be successful. This case was rather difficult to prove for us. But you must work harder the next time. Maybe be more direct".

"Yes, sir", Zapffe replied. "I'll do my best".

"What are you reading?", Kjaerstad asked, while looking to the documents and pictures that she had on her table.

"It's about that case about Utkant Building", Zapffe answered.

"I see", Kjaerstad said. "But better not to waste on your time on that. It is likely one of those cases that we will likely lose as the transfer of cases from the Department to the state prosecutors is official".

"How those are going", Kjaerstad added, while pointing at a mountain of folders and documents in a nearby table.

"Well", Zapffe answered, "we started working on them. But it's not easy as the information on them is rare. As most of them seem to be from distant provinces, it is not I was able to get much feedback".

"I undertand", Kjearstad replied. "It's not the kind of cases that gets much interest, I assume. But such sudden increase in those kind of murders feels quite strange, anyway".

"That's what I thought", Zapffe said. "There must be many cases that could explain that. But I feel there was something peculiar when I started working on them".

"What do you mean?" Kjearstad asked.

"There are no suspects in most of those cases,  there are only recordings or images of the suspects in a few cases, including the recording from a taxi in that Varstadt case", Zapffe answered. About the weapons used in the crimes, and the circumstances, they are very different in some cases. But when we started to research of the background of the victims, comparing the cases, it is when I could find more coincidences. Not all, but many in those cases took place in the western districts cases, which about two thirds of those murders had a similar modus operandi".

"Indeed", Kjearstad replied. "That's the first reason that such cases were sent here. It was thought it could be the case of an active serial cases, even if the victims were rather atypical".

"That's right", Zapffe said. "The only thing that the victims seem to have in common is that they were at some point combatants in the war".

"That wouldn't be too unusual", Kjearstad replied. "It's more than likely that it could be related to organized crime, or probably some unknown radical groups. That's where I would dedicate most of our efforts".

"It could be that, certainly", Zapffe replied. "However, when I started to wide the comparisons, looking in the state databases, not only of related murders, but accidental deaths or even suicides, then, I realized about something unexpected".

"What exactly?", Kjearstad asked.

"People who died in similar circunstances and who were born in Nordheim districts", Zapffe explained. "If you isolate the cases with victims from these areas, particularly compared other regions and states, you would see an increase of deaths in relation to the national media for that time period, which would immediately collapse after certain period...That would applied also to cases of suicides or sudden deaths in jails, for example. I checked the names and 90% of the victims were active in Nordheim during the war".

"It wouldn't be that unusual", Kjearstad intervened. "It was one of the areas where rebel forces were most active, after all".

"That's true...", Zapffe replied. "But the number was low for other provinces under rebel control, such as Austland regions".

"Do you know the reason?", Kjearstad asked.

"Not yet", Zapffe answered. "I tried to find a reason, but I couldn't...But it must be a reason and a relation".

"Maybe, or maybe not", Kjearstad replied. "Good job, prosecutor. Keep working on that. Although be careful, it is such as wide number of cases that it is better if you keep working on strong ground. The last thing we need it is that they start to think in Midtenstadt that we started to waste time and resources killing time in some nonsensical theories while our tasks keep growing.

"Of course not", Zapffe replied. "I understand...I'll do my best. Thanks, sir".

"I hope so", Kjearstad added. "I have to leave you now, there is a call I need to do", he said before leaving the room.

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2021, 02:50:34 AM »

A restaurant in Midtenstadt

"Good morning", the waiter said. "Yes, Mr. Alvestrand is waiting. Let me announce you".

"Ah, Major, welcome to our small business", Alvestrand said, as soon as the guest was invited to what it looked as a comfy and small VIP room. "Please sit down", he added.

"Thanks", Njerve replied. "However, I'm sorry to interrupt your lunch", he said as Alvestrand was still finishing his dish.

"Don't worry, I have already eaten enough", he replied. "This place may not be the cheapest place in the city, but the clients are certainly fed well enough", he added with a smile.

"You can take it and leave us alone", he told the waiter in a more serious tone.

"Yes, sir", the waiter immediately replied, doing so as well as closing the door as he left the room.

"It certainly looks like that", Njerve replied. "Although, for what I have heard, I wouldn't call your business small".

"We do what we can", Alvestrand replied with a smile, even if Njerve didn't exactly sound like joking. "I'm glad you had time to come, even if I imagine you have a busy agenda. Congratulations for your last success. I couldn't have imagined that I was going to talk with one of the most powerful men of the country when we met last time".

"I don't feel that's an accurate description", Njerve replied. "We have a big responsability, but that's much all".

"Was that mission a success, after all?", Alvestrand asked.

"You may say so", Njerve replied. "Although I guess that's not why we are here. Although I only served as a messenger back then".

"It could be so", Alvestrand said. "Yes, you're right, I don't really care about this affair. Business is business and it is not always possible to build our future through the right path. I can understand that".

"It's not a principle I would necessarily agree with, I can only add", Njerve replied.

"You're right", Alvestrand said. "As someone who just become a public representative, it's not a principle that I would encourage. However, we both know the dark realities of war and peace, particularly about war".

"That's, however", Alvestrand continued, "something that we left behind, fortunately. That's another principle which may not be too pleasant, but that our nation wisely decided to adopt, to bury all the bad deeds that had happened in our nation in the last years. However, that's precisely the reason why I asked you about this meeting".

"Not sure if I'm following you, Mr. Alvestrand", Njerve said, "but I'm listening to you".

"As you may hear", Alvestrand replied, "in my new public role I decided to distance from some of my management roles, as I haven't that much time and in some cases, they may not be compatible with my new role in Austland. However, there seem certain types in the Department of Justice who seem willing to waste their time and the resources to investigate not only my business, but my families and even some people they -wrongly- believe that may have been related to me, from some strange reasons. Giving your position, and our last business I gave you a hand, I hope we can find some understanding. As it is not my aim that such situation complicates the stability of our government, which may face more important tasks to deal with in the coming months that such silly problem".

"You are well aware that I have no relation with the Department of Justice", Njerve replied. "Even in the case I had any interest in doing so", he continued, "I will not be able to help you on that request".

"That's the answer I expected, Director Njerve", Alvestrand replied while finishing what was left in his glass of wine. "However, it would be a pity if our collaboration ended in that brief episode".

"That list of names that you were asking was quite interesting", he continued. "I had, of course, to do a small research, in order to avoid to tie my hands up where I should have not. Of course, not for the names, which were not exactly big fishes that would leave many questions, but the only thing they had in common".

"As I told you", Njerve replied, "my role ended that same day, so not sure what you are talking about".

"Don't believe that I'm that naive", Alvestrand replied, "or that I consider you that stupid. Those poor idiots hadn't much in common, besides thousands of others that fought in that war, our war. But it's a strange coincidence that all where related to late Ewald Hubert, that unlucky jäkard, around Hernstadt at certain time, isn't".

"What I'm asking you", he continued, "is certainly something complicated, that you could be able to figure out and solve with just a calm. I realize that. Not sure if you are a religious man. You may not, but I guess you realize that it's not the right moment for one of the most important institutions in our country history to surprisingly tremble in this moment. I don't need an answer right now, but I hope you'll think on this issue. I hope we can find an acceptable solution".

"You're right", Njerve replied, "I can't give you an answer right now".

"Would you like a drink, Director?", Alvestrand asked. "We'll invite you. No? Ah I realize, you have probably many importants things to deal today, after all".

"That's right", Njerve replied. "I apologize for interrupting your lunch".

"No problem, Major", Alvestrand replied. "I hope we see us again in happier circumstances. Too much business many consume us, after all".

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2021, 10:06:08 AM »

Temple of Tresektyarr, Albrektberg

"Welcome to our temple", Hildegard said. "I hope you have found everyhing comfortable and hospitable enough".

"Yes, it did, Your Priestess", Unna replied. "It will be a honour to serve here and assist you".

"Now that you live between us", Hildegard told Unna while the two walked along the temple gardens, "I'm not saying you should address me informally, of course, but you may address me simply".

"Understood", Unna replied, while still bowing in respect.

"While this place is not exactly as Enno Lyscei, of course", Hildegard continued, "being so close to the heart of Albrektberg, it is still a placid place for a second chance".

"A second chance?", Unna asked, visibly surprised. "What do you mean...Head Priestess?".

"After what you experienced", Hildegard explained herself, "it may not easy to start again. But I heard good words about you from almost everyone in Enno Lyscei, including the Supreme Priestess, as well as your former school and Briskemyr".

"I'm glad that was the case", Unna replied. "It was certainly a honour to serve the Supreme Priestess, no matter how difficult and unpleasant were such circumstances...".

"I can imagine so", Hildegard said. "Fortunately, we can hope, those dark days are gone, let's hope that for good2.

"In any case", Hildegard continued. "If you need assistance from our psychologic services, tell me or Bertha. Maybe talking with a neutral professional may help you. We need you at your best version to contribute to our community".

"I'll do so", Unna replied. "I had professional help when I was released. It was very helpful indeed. But I'm fine right now, I don't need anything...But I'll let you know".

"I'm glad to help that", Hildegard said. "Although I couldn't understand why the Supreme Priestess did not choose to assist her at her side. I'm sure you would have been an excellent and promising choice".

"Thanks, Your Priestess...", Unna replied. "It would have been a huge honour, certainly. But I'm honoured to serve you as well. I hope I'll be able to be helpful here".

"I'm sure you will", Hildegard replied. "As you may know, I was a High Priestess in the past, with the former Supreme Priestess. It is such a high honour and experience, obviously. But it is no better than other ways to serve our Holy Order and the community. All of us are as important for the future of the Holy Order and the nation, don't forget that".

"I will not...", Unna started to reply.

"You should know that you can trust me", Hildegard added, before Unna could be able to finish her sentence. "If you have anything you need to share with me, no matter how sealed inside your heart  you may feel it, you can do so", she continued, while putting her hand on Unna's shoulder. "Only through a pure and devoted heart and soul we are able to perform our duties".

"I'll do, Your Priestess...", Unna replied, not sure what to say.

"I'm glad to hear that", Hildegard said. "Now, you may retire. Rest a bit. You'll start your duties tomorrow, and we will start quite early, as you know. It's better you have your mind as clear and awake as it is possible, after all".

"Yes, I'll retire immediately", Unna obediently said. "Excuse me, Head Priestess, have an excellent evening".