Author Topic: Inner Jugland  (Read 2116 times)

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Mktvartvelo (primary nation)
Inner Jugland
« on: December 07, 2020, 02:31:23 PM »

The Road to Emrta

Time goes by...And still, events lately seem to unleash so fast. It was, of course, like that once, when all this chaos started to hasten on our country. I suppose this was the same for everyone...obviously in different ways. I remember how everyone seemed so abstract, but reality slowly starts to reach everyone, it doesn't matter how distant our lives may seem...

"Your Royal Highness, we are arriving", Heimarr said.

"Ah yes", Mildgyd replied. "Is that black building, Heimarr? I have never seen it before".

"Yes, Ma'am", Heimarr answered. "This area was recently expanded, I believe. Many companies have established in the district in the last months. At leas that what I heard".

"I see, Heimarr", Mildgyd replied.

This city feels sometimes like a strange oasis at this complicated times. I wonder how the rest of the country feel about it.

"We have arrived", Heimarr said, while parking the car.

"Thank you", Mildgyd said as soon as Heimarr opened the door.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: Inner Jugland
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 01:54:46 AM »

The Road to Emrta (2)

"Your Royal Highness, Mr. Solstad will arrive in a moment", Jo said. "If you please, I'll show you the meeting room".

"Thank you", Heimarr replied. Mildgyd just nodded and followed her.

These wooden walls are something else. They don't really go with the building, which it seemed quite new, I guess. But they are...functional, I assume that's the word. Business walls, I assume. But what do we have here? These colours look so familiar...I'm sure that I have seen this painting before, isn't it? Could it be so? Ah yes, I remember! That's the same painting! That one they had in the old hall in the Count's summer home. It's been ages since I was there for last time. I always found it so irritating this colour, those vague lines. They certainly lacked energy. Surely they are not a Haavelmo's. I always hated this paintings. The Tachnasem's surely lacked taste for these things. Redsamlina, certainly practical but she sadly lacks imagination. How did this painting end here anyway, I wonder? And where must she be now? Did she remains in Achkaerin? Oh, I forgot to ask the last time. So many things have changed, so many things which were impossible to imagine not a long time ago. And now I am here, again, in front of this painting. But what am I doing here? Not just here, but here? I don't even know myself but...Eh?

"I see you are already here", Gerulf said, entering and closing the door behind him. "Excuse me for the delay, Your Royal Highness, and thanks for coming".

"Ah", Mildgyd replied, "no problem".

"I'm glad to meet you again, Your Royal Highness", Gerulf continued. "It's been a long time since we met. Maybe you don't remember, you have probably met so many people, of course".

"Oh, I do", Mildgyd replied. "In this case, I don't really remember where and when".

"It's understandable, of course", Gerulf replied. "Were you contemplating the painting? Do you like it? I found it very expressive".

"I assume so", Mildgyd replied. "But not really, just entertaining myself for a second, that's all".

"Of course", Gerulf replied. "I'm sorry you couldn't attend the Economic Forum at the end. We were very sorry when it was confirmed...".

"Oh, sure", Mildgyd answered. "It was certainly a pity...But I read that it went quite well. I'm glad that was the case".

"Thanks, Your Royal Highness", Gerulf replied. "We're glad as well. We were quite satisfied in general. It was a great chance for the city, the country".

"Nice to hear", Mildgyd said.

"I must say it's a honour for us", Gerulf continued, "all of us, in the island, to have with us".

"It's a honour for me as well", Mildgyd replied.

Would this be that important thing they wanted to discuss?

"I myself grow up in Emrta", Gerulf added, "a long time ago. Many things have changed here since then, obviously. Sadly, many things have changed in the country in the last years. While I established soon in Albrektberg, where a new life started for me. When things started to go wrong...I had the chance to come back".

"I understand the feeling", Mildgyd said.

"Yes, of course..." Gerulf replied. "It was not only that. But of course, I realize it was a strange feelings. Things were getting worse and worse, but still, here the situation was different. Or rather, it felt different. Right now, one feels it's rather the opposite...in some sense. Things are getting better, at least a light of hope for many people -even if things are not ideal, of course. But on the contrary, things started to feel more convulse here lately".

"Many people seems to share that feeling", Mildgyd said.

"indeed", Gerulf replied. "That was my impression. If I may, Your Royal Highness, have you talked recently with your brother...?".

"Oh", Mildgyd replied, "not really. Why?".

"I just wondered...", Gerulf answered. "I had only the chance and honour of meeting His Majesty a few times as well. I had the chance to meet your late father more often when I was involved in the local government in Albrektberg...many years ago. Still, despite all these complicated last years, it was really shameful how your brother had to leave".

"If you wanted to ask about my family", Mildgyd interrupted him, "you should have talked with Herr Moser, he's still in charge of these issues...".

"Oh", Gerulf answered, "I'm aware, Your Royal Highness...I know Ulrich very well, indeed, we used to go to the same golf club, years ago...".

"It's not that, Your Royal Highness", Gerulf continued. "We're afraid that things have started to go out of control. People have started to get nervous here, about the situation in Albrektberg, or Mannstadt, whatever".

"I understand so", Mildgyd replied. "There is not much we can do right now".

"In a sense...", Gerulf continue, "that's right. With such initiatives such as the Economic Forum or the Amvkhar Fund, we have tried to build a more constructive atmosphere. Even if the country is not going to the right direction, we must give the best of ourselves...at least that's my philosophy. But I could only realize recently that the it's growing the feeling that their voice is not being heard lately. I'm concerned about that , obviously. I understand that you remain in a complicated situation, I can imagine, Your Royal Highness...But it's my intention to try to build as many bridges as possible. It's my concern that the wrong reaction could be about happen. A group of friends, colleges, and collaborators have resolved to avoid such outcome. That's why we thought about this meeting, Your Royal Highness...".

"I listen to you", Midgyd simply added.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 01:20:04 AM »
The Achkaerinese Tower

This place is not certainly what I would have expected. It looks luxurious, but rather mundane and predictable...

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Your Majesty", Larsen said. "It's a honour being your guests".

"You're welcome", Khrym replied. "Don't think I receive many visits from our country lately. Can I ask if you have more business to do here...?".

"Indeed, Your Majesty", Moen answered. "I had to meet two local researchers anyway, for a book we're preparing for Tordenskjold's publishing house. I hope it's a productive travel".

"Hraban?", Khrym asked. "I believe I met him years ago. I don't remember much about it though. Although back them many people in Albrektberg seemed to pay attention to him. The last thing I heard was that he took rather unexpected interests".

"That's right", Moen replied. "His views and interests may fluctuate and be seen as rather...ecclectic, although I met him for first time after coming to Albrektberg for first time, and he's an easy person to deal in private - even if I have only met him professionally, of course".

"Although Ermenrich told me you had been involved in journalism", Khrym said.

He has certainly changed from the pictures, from TV...He's just my age but he looks so tired. And one imagine he does nothing at all here...

"That's right, Your Majesty", Moen replied. "I worked for late Mommsen's newspapers for thirteen years. Although I left journalism in the last decade".

"I see, I see", Khrym replied. "It makes sense. I'm glad to know that Zeiner keeps doing fine. I met him when he was teaching in the War Academy, in Albrektberg".

"Yes, Your Majesty", Moen replied. "He told me once I believe. How are things going in Achkaerin? Are you following the recent events from here?".

"Well, not much going on here, I assume", Khrym replied. "I'm informed about importants events happening in our country, of course. Although not constatly in detail, obviously. I have important business to deal with".

"Of course, Your Majesty", Moen replied. "Do you keep contact with your sister, I mean Her Highness?".

"Mildgyd?", Khrym said. "Well, not exactly. Why?".

Has he no idea? How could that be? Or just pretending? She does not look the kind of person able to do such things, if Mr. Meyn was right...

"Just to know...", Moen replied. "Not much is known about her role in Amvkhar. We wondered if you kept contact. After all, technically, the Office of the House of Welhaven-Goltzam still exists, from a legal point of view".

"Yes", Khrym replied. "I suppose it's a strange situation. But not exactly important. My thoughts are mostly with son. Besides as a father, obviously".

"Of course, Your Majesty", Moen replied. "That's what I was told and I did not doubt that was the case. As we say, you can't know where the future is waiting you".

"Not me personally, I'd say", Khrym added. "But we must be prepared if everything fails".

"Indeed, Your Majesty", Moen replied. "First, let's start giving you what Wigburg asked us. Godric?".

I wonder if they are really our main hope...Wouldn't it be better to look at the future? To take the matter with our own hands? To have free hands to punish the old and the new...Oh? What did he say? Wait!

"Ah, yes, yes", Larsen replied while looking in his briefcase. "Here it is, Your Majesty?".

"Alright", Khrym replied. "I'll study it when Count Klaussen comes back from Alba Karinya", he added when he was suddenly interrupted by the noise of someone knocking the door".

"Excuse me, Your Majesty", Odilia said. "Your wife just called...she says it's very important".

Seriously? What could it be! Well, who cares.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 11:17:34 PM by paralipomena »

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 02:23:27 PM »

The Day Before

"Excuse me", Tandberg said while slowly opening the door, "I have some business to attend".

"No problem", Larsen replied. "How was your travel?", he asked.

That mural along the wall...that's quite a thing. Yes, it must be one of Moen's houses, certainly.

"The travel was fine", Tandberg replied. "It was the first time I come to Albrektberg in a long time...It is a weird feeling to come here, not being our capital city anymore".

"Yes, I suppose", Larsen replied. "A situation that I hadn't imagined, certainly".

"You already know Hermann I believe", Tandberg added, as a third man appeared from the living room. "Let's sit down", he added.

"Indeed", Moen replied. "How are you, Hermann?".

"I'm alright...", Dedichen answered. "Things not going entirely well in Emrta, as you can imagine".

"We hope that will be solved soon", Moen replied. "We can only hope".

"I'm concerned about our situation there", Tandberg said. "If we screw it up, we can lost it forever".

"I can understand your concern", Larsen replied. "But we may lose it anyway giving the current circumstances".

No, that's not the way...

"I mean", Larsen continued, "we need to focus on Albrektberg and Midtenstadt, that's where everything will be decided. Everything is ready here. The island is not going to move anywhere. For a while, confusion may even benefit, if the situation keeps at order".

"Do you mean Froseth?", Tandberg asked. "Not sure he'll be a great help", he continued, "giving the last weeks".

"I understand it well", Dedichen intervened, trying to turn the conversation, "but it is a risky worthy to be taken, I'd say. It would not be able to blame Froseth about recent events, let's not play that game. We know his hands are tied from Midtenstadt. Let's see if they would dare to play dirty once they know they are facing a tougher situation".

"Let's hope...", Tandberg replied. "But my concern right now is mostly that Charter suff at Amvkhar. I feel it was a bluff at the beginning but some confusing information that we were able to collect concerned me".

"About what exactly?", Larsen asked.

"Qualen", Dedichen replied.

"That's right", Tandberg said. "It's not clear what role he may be playing in Sandemorgen's circus...".

"Well", Larsen replied. "The Majesty seemed to trust him...at least for the well-being of the family. But I doubt he's behind that operation".

"No, I don't believe so", Tandberg answered. "But probably he's trying to keep all options open. Here's the dossier I brought here, anyway".

"In any case", Dedichen intervened, "we have been following him closely for the last week. Once we have been successful, we could have a more fruitful conversation".

"You're probably right", Larsen said. "He doesn't seem that kind of person. More like a front man to protect the resources. But someone likely to be involved in further plans. Although his contacts would have been certainly very useful if he was directly in our side...What about the Princess?".

"I was able to talk with someone close the Countess last week...", Tandberg said. "It seems clear she is not in direct contact with the family. The Office seems to do that, in both direction".

"Her last moves were concerning", Dedichen added.

"They may be", Larsen replied, "although it should be our last concern right now".

"I can't be for certain", Tandberg said. "My feeling was that the Office, trying to save the family financial interests in case they are forced with such negotiations".

"Anyway", Dedichen said, "here is the list of contacts you asked me. They have been in Midtenstadt for two weeks. They will move when the receive confirmation that our target was neutrallized".

"Very well", Larsen replied, saving the document in his coat. "When are you going back?".

"My flight leaves this midnight", Tandberg replied. "I hope we can meet again in a happier situation...I have no option but to offer you a drink before you leave us".

"Just one drink", Dedichen replied. "For our future and our nation's".

"Alright", Larsen added. "Why not...".

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 02:44:30 AM »

The Road to Emrta (3)

"Your Highness", Heimarr announced, "Mr. Oppegard has arrived".

"Alright", Mildgyd replied. "Don't make him wait".

"Yes, Your Highness", Heimarr said.

"Welcome", Mildgyd said as soon as Oppegard entered the room, about two minutes after Heimarr left. "You can sit down".

"Thanks, Your Highness", Oppegard said. "It is a pleasure to meet you, personally".

"You're welcome", Mildgyd said. "I assumed you were rather busy lately. What's about this sudden visit, If I may ask?".

"I just wanted to have a closer contact...", Oppegard answered, "if that doesn't bother you. Be able to exchange a few words outside more official and pressuring circumstances".

Yes, Gerulf was right, pretending was not exactly his strongest point.

"Sure", Mildgyd replied with a smile, "If there is anything I can do to help you, let me know".

"Yes, Your Highness", Oppegard said. "It's just we would like to be certain, about the step we are about to give. After all, it is a decision that would imply a burder and a responsability that may last more than one's life, in your case".

"Maybe not more than one's life", Mildgyd declared.

"Of course not...", Oppegard continued. "It's a step that was not easy to accomodate at the beginning...Not speaking about myself, but people in our movement, which is much more diverse than some people may imagine. I have no doubt about your compromise, after my last meetings with Mr. Solstad and other prominent members of this town. I only want the best for our country, our state".

"That's my aim", Mildgyd simply replied, while opening a bottle of water.

"Indeed", Oppegard replied. "I have no doubts about that. I am grateful about your statement during our last turmoil. Not all of us agreed on this, I may say, and there were some disagreements about the situation back then, obviously, but it's my opinion that it was certainly helpful".

"That was my intention", Mildgyd replied, "I felt I needed to contribute at least once. During the last years, I had a better understanding about the people here".

"That's nice to hear...", Oppegard said. "Well, I only wanted to be sure that we're on the same page about the step you may be required to give".

"I can assure that I am certainly sure about what would imply such role", Mildgyd said after leaving the water on the table, "not just the requirements, sacrifices, and expectations, but some of the dangers that it may entail, as I have personally witnessed quite closely, sadly, if one gives a bad step in such position".

"Indeed, Your Highness!", Oppegard expressed. "It was not my intention to lecture you...only that we need to be certain that we are not taking a bad step which may weaken the interests of the people of our state".

"I understand that", Mildgyd replied.

"We need someone that represents the interests of our state in a prudent and wise way...while being aware of the the powers and limits that such position would entail", Oppegard continued. "But beyond that, it is my feeling that a more neutral representative, who could embody both the traditions and the culturally importance of these lands in the modern history of our nation, could be quite useful to heal some divisions that we sadly witnessed in recent months, and maybe even ease the political tensions that may rise in the coming future".

"It is not my wish to be involved in political affairs", Mildgyd declared, "as I replied when I was asked a similar questio when I visited Morkthus not a long time ago".

"However", she continued, "I would do my best to contribute to the well-being of the fellow citizens of this town, these lands, in case if such honour and responsability would be offered on my own shoulders...".

"Of course", Oppegard replied. "I hope we can find some understanding for that reason, Your Highness. That's our hopes as well".

What a nuisance! Such self-imposed dull drama!

"Excuse me, Mr. Oppegard", Mildgyd said. "There is a personal call that I promised to do. If you don't mind, I'll be back in five minutes".

"No problem, Your Highness", Oppegard replied. "I have no more questions. If you allow it, I'll retire then. We can talk in another time, I hope".

"Thank you", Mildgyd said, "I hope I was able to clear, for good or for bad, some of your doubts".