Author Topic: Rokkenjiman Policy Review 2022  (Read 1559 times)

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
Rokkenjiman Policy Review 2022
« on: July 04, 2022, 02:07:21 AM »

Review Of Rokkenjiman Policy
Office of the Princess of Azukishima

Previously I had declared my intent to hold a formal review of Rokkenjiman foreign policy, a task which I have since laboured upon. Having spoken with countless individuals in the Imperial Government, considering past and present actions of the First Empire, and the future trajectory which has been spoken of as we near what shall be a transition into a new era once Crown Princess Asuna formally ascends, I have prepared a list of items I see as the greatest priority as we move into that new era. With the adoption of these recommendations I have little question that Crown Princess Asuna will have a firm foundation from which to work from, and the First Empire a multitude of options as it approaches and works with the community of nations looking well into the future.

• The Imperial Government must live up to the standard set forth by Empress Evanthe which, and I quote, "demand(s) that for each military solution two diplomatic solutions must be presented." In recent times we have seen Empress Evanthe fall into the trap of the Saisei Empress in employing Rokkenjiman military assets for issues which a simple communication would have been much more appropriate and productive while being much less costly. It is thus my recommendation that all deployments of military assets, outside times of active conflict or national security, require the concurrence of the Empress and Vicegerent before orders are issued for Rokkenjiman assets, for example those of the Imperial Rokkenjiman Navy, to be deployed unless the deployment has a clear and defined purpose related to the defense of the First Empire, the defense of a Rokkenjiman ally, or upon the request of a foreign nation in distress.
  • The employment of sanctions against states as the first response, instead of the last once all diplomatic options have been exhausted, should henceforth be ceased immediately. The Empress should thus task the Vicegerent with a review of present Rokkenjiman sanctions and determine which of those serves the foreign policy interests of the First Empire and those which are frivolous in nature and worthy of being repealed. In the future, the concurrence of the Crown and the Imperial Diet should be necessary before the implementation of any new sanctions. As elected representatives of the Rokkenjiman People the concurrence of the Diet, which would naturally require votes on each proposal of sanctions, their voices are crucial as the First Empire weighs such options in the future.
  • Pyrena Castle must be as willing to talk with adversaries, non-aligned states, and states outside of traditional spheres of Rokkenjiman interest as it is in pursuing talks within those traditional spheres. This process has already started with my talks in Abertone and discussions between Rokkenjima and Lijiang, but the process cannot stop there. Should Pyrena Castle ignore the need for talks with nations beyond its traditional spheres I fear it will impose upon itself a period of quasi-isolation, with the only force to blame being the present leadership. With the sanction of the Imperial Government, if conferred, I would be willing to personally lead this initiative.
  • Ongoing disputes between the First Empire and powers such as Heyra and Samantra should be reviewed and considered outside of the lenses they've previously been viewed through while the door to good-faith discussions and negotiations should be opened to advance a peaceful normalization of relations regardless of the present state of relations with the state in question. In the case of the former questions surrounding their ties to the Tamoran institution of slavery should naturally be answered, however, the notion that the Heyran Republic is some ominous threat to global peace is ludicrous. That this view is held by an alarming number of Rokkenjimans must be addressed by the Imperial Government.
  • The Imperial Government is on the right path with the South Ardian New Electorate and should use that approach as a template in approaching other states in which relations have soured. Whereas we once had Rokkenjiman officials openly speaking of military action against SANE we now see a state of affairs which sees the First Empire and SANE nations capable of cooperation, understanding and even working toward mutual aims. There is no new USR or Warsaw, and the adversarial "us versus them" mentality some seemingly cling to in the Imperial Government needs to evolve to meet the needs of the present and the future.
  • The First Empire should revert to the previously stated 'open line' policy and should not preclude itself from diplomacy with any state, regardless of the state of relations it holds with the state in question. This effort shouldinclude the reinstatement of embassies with those states which the First Empire has either withdrawn or withheld diplomatic recognition.
  • Renewed vigor should be shown in finding areas of cooperation and inclusion between Rokkenjima and foreign nations. Like most nations we share largely the same concerns and interests when it comes to international peace, security and stability. This should include pursuing an understanding which sees no nation utilizing international agreements as cudgels against any state, and it should likewise include a shift in Rokkenjiman policy which sees all states as potential partners in the pursuit of our mutual interests in these spheres.
  • Finally, the Imperial Government must be quick to shut down potential crises which arise when, for example, the Rosari Faith nearly contributes to a dispute amongst the faiths of Mundus. We must also not see any faith as a threat to the First Empire, nor allow the perception that we view such a threat to exist as these situations do nothing to forward either our interests or our security.

While it is upon the Imperial Government to review these findings I am confident that, should the recommendations I've made here today are adopted, we will see improvements and new avenues open for the First Empire moving into the next few years. The current paradigm is broken and is in need of reform. Where possible I have presented answers which I believe are capable of addressing the issues I have highlighted and look forward to the Imperial Government acting upon them.

Princess of Azukishima
Duchess of Pyrettania

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
Re: Rokkenjiman Policy Review 2022
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 07:55:37 PM »

To: Princess Princess Kyōko

I am writing following Your Highness’ publication of the recommendations regarding the First Empire’s foreign policy. At this moment in time relations between the Holy Kingdom of Samantra and the First Empire of Rokkenjima are as low as they have been in recent history and the more time passes with relations remaining in the same state or worse the harder it becomes for any of us to amend relations to a level that allows a resemblance of normality.

Before I proceed further, I would like to state that I have chosen to reply in private for at least two reasons. Firstly is that the recent changes in the Anselmo royal family have left the Holy Kingdom unsure of what Your Highness’ role is in the imperial government. Secondly, the foreign policy of the First Empire is a matter that is reserved to the First Empire. Any comments I make are only in relations with the Holy Kingdom and its potential relations with the First Empire.

I welcome Your Highness apparent willingness to reconsider the First Empire’s approach to the Holy Kingdom. The current leadership of the Empire you represent has not displayed a willingness to put diplomacy first and especially foster dialogue when it comes to settling disputes. The interests of our two nations often do not align and the friends and allies we each have, in the case of Rokkenjima I refer to the Achkaerin Empire, have interests that also do not align with ours. However, it falls on us, the leaders of our nations, to make sure that we allow room for dialogue, manage these competing interests and not take actions that fuel the fire of animosity. I especially draw attention to the recent ill-advised actions of Empress Evanthe which made a visit to the embassy in Nis in order to raise tensions by criticizing in harsh terms Nis domestic policies. Such actions have been ill received in the Holy Kingdom which has similar domestic policies with no intention of changing them. I fail to see what the purpose of those actions were other than provocation and fueling discord. Your Empress does not have the pressure of reelection like me and the members of the cabinet and so not even that excuse could explain in part her actions.

For our part the Holy Kingdom has been restrained in its actions against Rokkenjima, we have not retorted with similar sanctions and have refrained from making similarly inflammatory gestures against the First Empire. In a further sign of good faith the Holy Kingdom has made steps to create the conditions for trade to resume between our two nations, I hope that Your Highness will use its influence so that the opportunity created is not squandered. I do not believe that cordial relations between our countries will ever be possible but as the highest secular representative of the Holy Kingdom I remain open to Your Highness for dialogue through all channels including but not limited to a formal or informal meeting. Mundus is becoming increasingly smaller and interconnected, and it falls on us to build the best possible relations between our countries.

I pray for peace and understanding between our people.

Yours respectfully,
Yeva Litvin
President of the Duma

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 07:53:39 AM »

A Private Letter To President Yeva Litvin

Madam President,

Thank you for reaching out to me. While it is true that relations between the Holy Kingdom and the First Empire are rather poor I fear that, long prior to my arrival in Pyrena Castle, the art of speaking with those who you don't get along with has waned. Many are content to rely upon economic and other tools for tasks which they aren't best primed for, tasks which are best accomplished through diplomacy. As for my role in the Imperial Government my remit shall largely focus upon foreign affairs, geopolitics, and I understand that I shall have a mandate regarding the Imperial Diplomatic Corps. I respect both your candor and discreet nature in approaching these matters.

I cannot speak to the actions of Empress Evanthe as they transpired before my time, however, my approach shall continue to be equal and even to all nations regardless of historic disputes and difficulties in relations. This is the approach my sister, the Saisei Empress, took toward the Kingdom of Seaforth, a nation which one day would become a stalwart friend of Rokkenjima following a period of certainly tense relations between our nations. I recognize that not every scenario will lead to those results, however, the alternative of not speaking at all carries consequences which are both great and grave. Dialogue, honest and good-faith diplomacy and a willingness to work even with less-than-friendly powers on issues of mutual concern are the path toward greater international harmony and stability. As I know this is a course of action which the Crown Princess supports, I am confident in the prospects of reworking much of the Rokkenjiman diplomatic approach.

Even parties which are not friends or allies may share cordial relations, and nothing will shake my belief in that beyond trial and failure, where all options are exhausted yet the status quo remains the same. I would keep the door open to future talks, at a venue to be determined, to see if we may reach some baseline from which to move forward from. Many within the Imperial Government think in the ways of Saisei, not realizing that the world in which she reigned, the climate in which she reigned, no longer exists. If we are to have faith in a better future, we must also be willing to sow seeds alongside even the most unlikely of partners. I shall await your next letter and wish you, and your People, the providence to which we are seek.

Princess of Azukishima
Duchess of Pyrettania

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 09:16:02 AM »
It has recently come to my attention that the Abstergo conglomerate, which Your Highness presumably is a shareholder, has decided or is seriously considering to invest in the Holy Kingdom in the area of financial services and electronics.

I assume that sooner or later they will open an office and/ or start a marketing campaign to inform the consumers they are present on the Samantran market. I propose that we use that as an opportunity for Your Highness to come to Samantra, in an unofficial visit, as a (major) shareholder of Abstergo for the opening event. Should Your Highness find that agreeable and can make the arrangements with the previously mentioned company then I will make sure we find the opportunity to meet and talk in private.

I look forward to your reply. 

Yours respectfully,
Yeva Litvin
President of the Duma

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 03:23:55 AM »

A Private Letter To President Yeva Litvin

Madam President,

I do understand this to be the case. With the dismantling of Rokkenjiman measures against Samantra, a welcome development might I add, Abstergo has indicated a keen interest in expanding into what had previously been an inaccessible market.

I would support such an opportunity and, upon the formal start of that campaign, will naturally be on hand. I look forward to the opportunity for discussions.

Princess of Azukishima
Duchess of Pyrettania

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 09:41:12 AM »

Review Of Rokkenjiman Policy

It is my great pleasure to share with you all that the Imperial Government has accepted the totality of my recommendations and that they shall become the official policy of the First Empire of Rokkenjima. In light of this event I have included an additional recommendation for the Imperial Government to consider, that being a commitment to utilizing non-destructive methods in cases where a Rokkenjiman asset in space is malfunctioning to the point it needs to be removed from orbit. We have, in ISEA, a perfect platform for this task, Space Shuttle Hakken, which could have effected the same outcome as the Imperial Rokkenjiman Armed Forces operation. I will be effecting changes to the way in which the Imperial Rokkenjiman Armed Forces treat security clearances to ensure that ISEA is certified with the proper security clearances to ensure such a scenario is not possible in the future.

I understand the frustrations of the Empire of Daitō and Ui Cennselaig and know, your voices have been heard. While I can do nothing for events which have already transpired know that there is a voice of sensibility in the Imperial Government and that I will be taking this matter up with the Empress, who ultimately approved the Operation, and ensuring that my displeasure is known on this matter and that this recommendation, as all the others were, should be treated with the utmost importance. I hope that my counterparts in Daitō will continue to liaise with me on this issue, and countless others, and that we should continue efforts in cooperation in the post-CSTO world. We have much in common, both in cultures and interests, and it would be a shame for that to be thrown away by this decision of the Empress.

Both the Empire of Daitō and Ui Cennselaig shall have full access to my office for all future communications on this matter.

Princess of Azukishima
Duchess of Pyrettania

Beatrice Anselmo