Author Topic: Ecclesiastical Episodes in History  (Read 2444 times)

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Republic of Québec
Ecclesiastical Episodes in History
« on: August 22, 2018, 09:12:09 PM »
The White Revolution of 1848 - The Ecclesiastical State's transition from absolutism to constitutionalism

The famous 'March to the Vatican', 21st of March, 1848

ES had been governed by a system of absolute monarchy since the 8th century. However, political winds of change emerged as the Ecclesiastical liberal and national movements gained momentum in the 1830s. Pope Gregory XVI, a moderate reformer but still an absolutist, died in June 1846 during a period of rising opposition from farmers and liberals. The demands for constitutional monarchy, led by the National Liberals, ended with a popular march to the Vatican on March 21, 1848.

The growing bourgeoisie had demanded a share in government and abolish absolutism whilst retaining a strongly centralized state and in an attempt to avert the sort of bloody revolution occurring elsewhere in Mundus the new Pope, Blessed Pius IX, gave in to the demands of the citizens. A new constitution emerged and was subsequently adopted on September 12th, 1848, separating the powers and granting the franchise to all adult males, as well as freedom of the press, religion, and association. The Pope became head of the executive branch, represented by a Governor-General of the Church, delegating executive powers to the Federal Council whilst retaining reserve powers. The legislative branch consists of two parliamentary chambers; the National Council, comprising members elected by the general population, and the Council of States, consisting entirely of appointed and non-partisan Catholic clergy by the cantonal governments. ES also gained an independent judiciary.

It is said that the Catholic Pope's first words after signing away his absolute power were, "that was nice, now I can sleep in the mornings". Although army officers and high standing clergy were dissatisfied, they accepted the new arrangement which, in comparison to other countries at the time, was not overturned by reactionaries.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 06:41:38 PM by The Young Pope »

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: Ecclesiastical Episodes in History
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 09:12:07 AM »
Helvetic Guards - The Ecclesiastical State's Most Famous Soldiers

Soldier and officer of the Pontificia Cohors Helvetica in Papal service in 1757

Helvetic Guards are the soldiers from the northern regions of the Ecclesiastical State, collectively known as Helvetica, who are serving as guards at foreign Catholic courts since the late 15th century. The current famous Helvetic Guards in modern times is the Papal Helvetic Guard, serving as the Pope's primary ceremonial unit and bodyguard. Established in 1506 under Pope Julius II, it is one of the oldest military units in the world. The dress uniform is of blue, red, orange and yellow with a distinctly Renaissance appearance. The Helvetic Guard is equipped with traditional weapons, such as the halberd, as well as with modern firearms. Recruits to the guards must be unmarried Helvetic Catholic males between 19 and 30 years of age who have completed basic training with the Ecclesiastical Army of Christ.

The earliest Helvetic guard unit to be established on a permanent basis was the Hundred Helvetians (Cent Helvetique), which served at the Heyran court from 1490 to 1945. This small force was complemented in 1567 by a Helvetic Guards regiment. From the 18th and early 19th centuries several other Helvetic Guard units existed for periods in various Catholic courts. In addition to small household and palace units, Helvetic mercenary regiments have served as regular line troops in various armies, as they were considered the most effective mercenaries of the 15th century until their battle-drill was improved upon by the Landsknechte.

During the Tamoran Annexation of Attica 1958

On-duty Uniform worn by the Helvetic Guards serving the Attican King by 1958

One of the most famous episodes in the history of the Helvetic Guards was their defence of the Royal Palace in central Alaverdi during the Tamoran Annexation of Attica in 1958; More information regarding that can be read here. Due to the overwhelming numbers of the Tamoran War Machine most military units of Attica were overrun quickly and forced to surrender their arms and themselves, with a notable exception, namely the Helvetic Guards serving the Attican King. As the Imperial Army was slowly but surely approaching the capital city of Alaverdi by every minute, Colonel Carlheinz Lewisohn, Commander of the Helvetic Guards in Attican service, made the decision to hastily prepare a defence of the Royal Palace, delaying the enemy advancement whilst allowing the Royal Family to escape through one of the Royal Navy's ships once they reached the harbour.

Due to the Invasion being so sudden and being caught off-guard, the Helvetic Guards didn't have time to prepare themselves effectively as they'd like, from wearing into more appropriate clothing, stockpiling ammunition and the lack of heavy armament, which forced them to improvise their hastily prepared defenses by using furniture and anything else useful they could find within the Palace's vicinity, given permission by the King to do so. Armed with mainly Umbrella Model 1917 (Revision 1941) rifles, a few SMGs and various explosive devices (although there were a couple of machine gun nests), the 900 strong Helvetic Guard regiment stationed themselves in the Palace and the surrounding buildings to cover as much ground as possible, eagerly waiting their dreaded enemy.

The assault on the Palace began at eight o'clock in the morning; A high ranking officer of the Tamoran invasion force out of courtesy and not wanting to shed more blood than it was needed, entered the Palace and at the the grand staircase, and called on the Helvetic Guard to surrender. "Surrender to the Empire!", he shouted. "We should think ourselves dishonored!" was the reply. "We are Helveticans, the Helveticans do not part with their arms but with their lives. We think that we do not merit such an insult. If the regiment is no longer wanted, let it be legally discharged. But we will not leave our post, nor will we let our arms be taken from us." and there the combat began, the Helvetic Guard taking the initiative by firing the first shots. All Hell was let loose as the Tamoran attackers were amazed by the ferocity and tenacity of the Guards despite being severely outnumbered and outgunned, causing a substantial amount of casualties; they even managed at one point to push the initial Tamorans out of the courtyard and reclaim it against all odds.

However as reinforcing Tamoran battalions moved in, the Helveticans were severely pushed back once more into the Palace complex, forcing them to seek shelter as artillery shells and grenades were launched at the palace area, causing extensive damage (which had to be repaired after the invasion) and mounting casualties on the defenders. It was at this surprising moment that a message from the King managed to reach them in the midst of battle, a scrap of paper with the special signature of his Majesty where he wrote: "The king orders the Helveticans to lay down their arms at once, and to retire to their barracks." The Attican King had namely in the last moment decided to remain in his homeland to support his people rather than to flee, alongside (against his will) the rest of the Royal Family.

To obey this order in the midst of heavy fighting meant almost certain death and the Helvetican officers in command did not immediately act upon it. However, the position of the Helvetic Guard soon became untenable as their ammunition ran low and casualties mounted. The King's note was then produced and the defenders were ordered to disengage. The main body of Helvetic Guards fell back through the palace and retreated under fire through the gardens at the rear of the building. They were brought to a halt near the central Round Pond, broken into smaller groups and slaughtered.

Johann Moltke (1936-2018), War Hero and Member of Parliament, the last Helvetic Guard from the Attican Regiment in 1958

Of the nine hundred Helvetic Guards defending the Palace on 10 March 1958, about six hundred were killed during the fighting or massacred after surrender. One group of 100 Helveticans were taken as prisoners to the Alaverdi City Hall before being killed by Manist fanatics there. An estimated one hundred and ninety eight more died in prison of their wounds, or were killed during the ensuing massacres that followed. The barracks of the Guard nearby were stormed by the Tamoan soldiers and the few Helveticans stationed there were also killed. The Helvetic officers were mostly amongst those massacred, including Colonel Karlheinz Lewisohn in command at the Royal Palace. Only Two Helvetic soldiers, Captain Hippolyte Crozier and Second Lieutenant Johann Moltke, survived in captivity and were lated negotiated for their release between the Ecclesiastical State and the Tamoran Empire, who would later become recognised as War Heroes and the latter also a famous Member of Parliament, serving his constitutency for over 30 years. There appears to be no truth in the charge that the King caused the defeat and destruction of the Guards by ordering them to lay down their arms when they could still have held the Palace. Rather, the Helveticans ran low on ammunition and were overwhelmed by superior numbers when fighting broke out. On the side of the Tamorans, they lost more than 400.

The heroic but futile stand of the Helveticans is commemorated by local Artist Barkev Ghukasian's Lion Monument within the Palace grounds, dedicated in 1971, which shows a dying lion impaled by a spear, covering a shield bearing the symbol of the Attican monarchy; beside him is another shield bearing the coat of arms of ES; a similar monument is to be found in the Helvetican town of Lucarno, comissioned shortly thereafter by an Ecclesiastical colleague to Ghukasian. An inscription on the monument lists the twenty-six Helvetican officers who died on 10-13 March and records that approximately 898 Helvetic Guardsmen were killed on those days.

The Lion Monument in Alaverdi at the Royal Palace. The incised Latin may be translated as, "To the loyalty and courage of the Helveticans"

Barkev Ghukasian commented later on his own work: The Lion lies in his lair in the perpendicular face of a low cliff — for he is carved from the living rock of the cliff. His size is colossal, his attitude is noble. His head is bowed, the broken spear is sticking in his shoulder, his protecting paw rests upon the lilies of Attica. Vines hang down the cliff and wave in the wind, and a clear stream trickles from above and empties into a pond at the base, and in the smooth surface of the pond the lion is mirrored, among the water-lilies. Around about are green trees and grass. The place is a sheltered, reposeful woodland nook, remote from noise and stir and confusion — and all this is fitting, for lions do die in such places, and not on granite pedestals in public squares fenced with fancy iron railings. The Lion of Alaverdi would be impressive anywhere, but nowhere so impressive as where he is.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 09:28:12 AM by The Young Pope »

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: Ecclesiastical Episodes in History
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 10:17:49 AM »
Mithrasism - The Ancient Religion of the Celestian Empire
Courtesy of DaveIronside for original concept

The Symbol of Mithras

The Ecclesiastical State is home to the Celestian Catholic Church which is also the state religion. However prior to the arrival of St. Peter and the advent of Christianity, the Ecclesiastical State was known as the Celestian Empire, named after the capital city of Celestis, which primarily was inhabited by Noniam settlers...

Creation Myth

In the beginning there was nothing but rock and water. In a cave the water began to drip onto a single spot and from this spot was born Mithras. He soon discovered that he had incredible power and could turn the rock and water into anything he desired. Being hungry he summoned a bull from the rock and with his bare hands broke its neck before feasting upon it. Over time Mithras created the world and everything in it was designed to please him. Despite his wondrous creation however he felt lonely and by weaving flowers together he created the first woman Maron. The two had many children who settled all over the world that he had created. From time to time his descendants argued and would come to him for advice, his eldest son Proteus recorded this wisdom which was often recounted by Mithras in story form. These stories were moral parables which instructed people how to act and how to behave. This document of the parables of Mithras is known as "The Code of The One" and forms the basis of worship and prayer.

After living amongst his people for thousands of years Mithras became weary of the bickering of mankind, he gave orders that a human should be picked to ensure "The Code of The One" was followed. Mithras told his followers that he would ensure that his bloodline would flow and that people would know it by it's righteousness. Having left things in order Mithras journeyed back to the cave in which he had appeared and where the single drop still flowed. He sat under the drop and in front of Maron's eyes was washed away to form a great ocean to protect those closest to him. The faithful believe that created the island continent that is today Albion.

THE CODE OF THE ONE

An ancient stone inscription in a temple showing part of "The Code"

It is believed that the God Mithras passed on a moral code to the world, this is known as "The Code of the One" and it had become an integral part of the culture of the Ancient Celestian civilization. Its rules helped form the basis of law and moral decency, and even inspired the latter Christian religion which prevailed. The Code also containts an assemblage of parables and passages that the common man can relate to and live by. All topics tend to lean toward meditation on one's own significance and the path of righteousness towards a state of higher being. It also emphasizes the greatness of Mithras.

The Code is broken down into Nine Virtues.

1.Courage
2.Truth
3.Honour
4.Fidelity
5.Discipline
6.Hospitality
7.Self Reliance
8.Industriousness
9.Perseverance

Each of the virtues contains rules which the faithful follow. This list however is not complete as in total over 1,000 parables have been found.

1. COURAGE

Never turn your back on a foe
Master fear and do not let it guide you
Do not let fear change your word
Protect those who can not protect themselves.

2. TRUTH

It is your duty to learn as much truth of the world as possible
Knowledge is the path to truth
Never give false oaths even if it costs you your life
Stand up for what you know is right.

3.HONOUR
Your name is your worth, attach only good deeds to it
You owe honour to your God, your descendent and your monarch.
Respect the honour of those you meet

4. FIDELITY
Love your family and friends
The one you give your heart to is the keeper of your soul.
Loyalty is earned through actions not words
Keep the Nine Virtues in your heart in all you do
Those who give you loyalty are deserving of your faith.

5.DISCIPLINE
Control your urges lest they betray you
Do all things in moderation
Practice arts to defend yourself and those you love
Live your life to the Code

6.HOSPITALITY
Give your guests your best
Respect the home of your host, he shall be your shield while you are under his roof, your sword shall never need be unsheathed.
A guest deserves your first and your last, be it your wine or your food
Be hospitable with your actions and thoughts

7. SELF RELIANCE
Decide your own path and work hard to fulfil it.
Accept no charity you can not return
Educate yourself to be better than you were yesterday

8.INDUSTRIOUSNESS
Contribute your fair share to the table
All your hours should be filled with goodness
There is always one more thing that you can do.

9.PERSEVERANCE
Hard work brings more honour
Failure is not an acceptable excuse for stopping your duties
A journey stops at it's end not where you fall.

THE PRAYER OF THE ONE

Courage is my strength
To withstand wretched foes
To sail against the storm
And the will to insist

Honour is my will
To defend my dear folk
My moral in battle
And the drive to do Good

Truth is my oath
To keep what I pledge friends
My word to my kin
And my address to a foe

Fidelity is the love
That I give to my kin
My faith to a pledge
And the bearing of debt

Hospitality is my house
That a traveller shall share
Warm meal on a hearth
And my last horn of mead

Discipline is my strength
To adhere to routine
My daily devotion
And the restraining of wrath

Self-Reliance is my strength
To decide my own path
My hand that feeds the mouth
And my survival in wild

Industriousness is my stride
To produce what I can
The fruits of hard work
And the bread on my plate

Perseverance is my will
To pursue a hard task
My endurance of pain
And my devotion to work

Passages

- "Hallowed is Mithras "
- "Truth is the beginning of the Path."
- "Blessed is The One that deliver us from evil."
- "Hallowed are those who walk in unison."
- "Sanctus Mithras." Translation: "Holy Mithras."
- "Fear not The One, fear the darkness that would conceal the knowledge of the universe. Believe in the truth of all things, and you too may find the Path to enlightenment."
- "Blessed are those who follow the Path to Origin."
- "Glorious is The One, who didst lead us to salvation, who did fight the evil that would doom us to mortal sin. And now, with the strength of our will, The One does call upon us to prevail against the corruption of all unbelievers."
- "Guide us on the Path so that we may triumph over the enemy of our salvation, and be with you in the End of Ends on the planes of enlightenment."
- "Andras chose to hunt the lion and was eaten by his prey."
"The only true darkness lives in the hearts of those who do not follow the Path. Otherwise, there is always some measure of light. And where there is light, The One sees all!"
- "Caelium videri esset. Et terra rus ad sidera tollere vultus. Ex uno disce omnes." Translation: "Heaven was seen. And the countryside will lift its face to the stars. From one, all will learn."
- "Enim lupin purnum pravus intus." Translation: "Verily, the corrupted sinner will be cleansed from within."
- "Life and death, light and darkness, hope and despair. The rift was created, and on that day The One was born. But the hatred of those who strayed from the true Path festered and bloomed in the dark corners of the Avernakis to which they have been cast! And consumed by this hatred, they poisoned all they touched, bringing death, darkness and despair. And the souls of their victims knew no peace, until The One came and whispered to them: 'Sleep, for the end draws near!' And on that day all will rejoice, when The One come and lays them low."
- "It is we who must seek the truth of the universe in order to achieve enlightenment."
- "Lessons of days gone by teach us what will come to pass."
- "From the smallest seed of doubt springs forth the mighty poisonous tree of evil."
- "Blessed are the true believers, for only they shall walk the Path, and they shall be welcomed unto the realm of The One and made as one with Him."
- "Make yourself one with the Path, and the journey will lead you to eternity."
- "Our journey towards enlightenment may take us to many unexpected places."
- "Ours is not to question, but to rejoice in their service, for The One is perfection."
- "Leave not the smallest pebble, for any hindrance will slow the people's progress."
- "Pity not the blind man, for he is hindered not by the visions of this world. But rather, pity yourselves, for he shall see the light before you."
- "Where we come from and where we are going are all the same."
- "He spoke to the sky and said: 'And the people shall deliver the wicked unto your divine judgment, where their sins shall be weighed in the balance of all that is just and true'."
- "Enemies of The One will show no mercy in their attempts to lead us astray from the true Path, likewise we must attack with all the Strength with which we have been given.
- "Those who abandon the Path are evil."
- "Foolhardy are those who do not follow the Path."
- "Those who reach enlightenment shall rejoice with The One forever."
- "The power and the greatness of The One cannot be denied. Those who reject the Path to enlightenment must be destroyed."
- "Those who seek the Path to enlightenment must not be led astray."
- "Those who follow the Path of righteousness shall be raised up high."
- "Amica was forgiven his transgression and found his way back to the Path."
- "Death is only the beginning of the real journey."
- "Truth eludes he who does not seek it with both eyes wide."
- "As he lay there, dying in the sun, the sands of the desert all around him, Petrias spoke to the rock, not with his lips, but with his mind. And the rock wept tears of fresh water, and his thirst was quenched."
- "So it came to pass that Ver Omesh was gripped by a great famine. So Markon went to the Prophet Articus and asked to go to the forest for food. The prophet bade him be patient, for The One provide for all who have faith. But Markon did not believe. So the prophet drew a line in the sand and told him, 'Step across and you may do as you wish.' So Markon did and left the village and feasted on wild berries. The fruit was bitter. It did not satisfy him. He longed to return to the village, but found that the line had widened to a great chasm. He called out to the Prophet in fear, but the Prophet said, 'The line has not changed; it is you who have changed. Step across if you truly believe.' So Markon prayed for forgiveness and took the first step. And the hands of The One enveloped all those who welcomed him back."
- "Aroden then took off the mask and revealed his face. 'Your appearance matters not,' he said. 'Only the truth of spirit in your heart'."
- "Let not the words of deceivers lead you to doubt, nor the enticements they offer cause you to stray."
- "And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made into dust."
- "The flames of ignorance burn without pain. Beware the power or it will consume you before you know."
- "And then did Tyolus say to the people of the low plains, 'Seek not the wickedness amongst your neighbors, lest it find purchase in your own house'."

Parables

- The story of Amica: This is an example of a man who swayed from the will of the Ori, but he was forgiven his transgressions and found his way back to the path.
- The story of Hannor Mir: Similar to the Earth legend of Icarus, but with a happier ending. He fell from above and learned to fly on the way down. Priors of The One called this a good example of a miracle.
- The story of Petrias: In a time of need he spoke to a rock, not with his lips, but his mind, and the rock wept tears of fresh water until his thirst was quenched.
- Egidius of Valdair needed to speak things that could only be spoken in the light of the fire.
- Andras who chose to hunt the lion and was eaten by his prey.
- The story of Tyolus who said unto the people of the low plains: "seek not the wickedness amongst your neighbors lest it find purchase in your own house."
- Antaris and the river; how the people of the low valley were freed from the yoke of an iron serpent who ruled over them without mercy.
- The story of Markon and the great famine that struck the village of Ver Omesh; where Markon went to the Prophet Articus and asked to go to the forest for food. The prophet bade him patience and stated that The One provide all those who have faith which Markon did not have. The prophet drew a line in the sand and said "'step across and you may do as you wish.". Markon did so and left the village to feast on wild berries. The fruit was bitter and did not satisfy him. He longed to return to the village but found that the line had become a great chasm and was told by the prophet that nothing had changed except Markon himself. He was told to step across if he truly believed. Markon begged for forgiveness from The One after realising his mistake and The One accepted him back. The village was also blessed with their light and prospered.
- Aroden, who wore a mask to conceal his face, but told the faithful "Your appearance matters not. Only the truth of spirit in your heart".
- The story of Ortus Mallum, the Birthplace of Evil where a mountain erupted to bury the place where evil originated.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 10:25:58 AM by The Young Pope »