« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 04:52:43 PM by Nova »

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
Re: A project named Elysium
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 09:11:33 PM »
   The doors of the car were opened by the slave servants of the Imperial palace and waiting to greet them was the captain of the Imperial guard of the Palace. He bowed before the guests and lead Maxime Anginer and the Attican queen  through the backdoor of the palace.  According to Tamoran protocol that was a cold reception, especially when considering Arpine Saroyan was a queen of one of the federated kingdoms of Tamora.

As the captain lead the guests through the palace, eventually stopped and politely invited the Queen to enter a waiting room. She protested but the captain politely but firmly insisted that the Emperor would see Maxime Anginer alone. Arpine eventually accepted, apologized to Maxime for the change of plans and entered the room in order to wait.

Afterwards, the captain resumed leading Maxime to the office of the Emperor. He needn't knock on the door that it was immediately opened by another slave servant which bowed and greeted Maxime.
Spoiler:  Azita, the slave • show

Azita, a 40 year old Tamoran slave working as the personal assistant of the Emperor. She speaks multiple foreign languages.

As he entered the room, the woman lead him the approx twenty feet from the door the  Emperor's desk where she made the presentations. Emperor Abbas got up from his chair and shook Maxime's hand. 

"I hope you don't mind the change of plans. Do not be disappointed, Arpine did all that she could do for you, she got me to agree to this meeting which I would have never otherwise agree to have. But I won't stand here as she's presenting the case of giving away Tamoran land as if it was nothing. Me and her have a history and she attending the meeting would only complicate things. This way we can focus on your proposal and she" and points to Azita which was standing next to them " is a great translator ,among other things, and would help us if we ran into any issues. "

"Now before I even consider the deal I want to know why have Heyra chosen us for this "project". I know Heyra has been hammered on the international front, they have lost Rokkenjima as their protector and have managed to annoy most foreign capitals with the tapes they released and some other religious issues. Still they are far from isolated, you're obviously here because of the Ecclesiastical State has used its influence to help you. Generally nations come to Tamora for deals only when they have no other choice and that usually leads to good agreements being signed. That's clearly not the case with Heyra as they definitely have other choices than us, so my first question to you would be: if this deal is as good as you say it is, why haven't you reached an agreement with the Ecclesiastical State? Surely you'd offered this deal first to your friends. "

As the Emperor finished talking, Azita asked Maxime if there was anything she could bring him as refreshments. In the room, standing in opposite corners, behind the Emperor there were two imperial guards which were motionless. Also behind the Emperor, the portraits of the Prophet Mani and of Alya, the two most revered Tamorans, were hanging on the wall while below them was the flag of Tamora. 

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 06:24:48 PM »
As soon as Maxime mentioned the he wanted an Arak for a drink, Azita gave a quick glance to the emperor whom made a short nod and gave her permission. Alcohol although not forbidden is shunned in most of Tamora so Azita wanted to make sure it was okay to bring an alcoholic drink to the guest. After the permission was given she was quick to bring the drink to Maxime and bow.

Abbas appreciated the focus put shown by Maxime for proper greeting and manners. He made sure to respond in kind. He also noticed that he had used the word "Great" when referring to the Empire of Tamora. It was simple flattery and Abbas know it but he never the less appreciated it.     

As Maxime replied, Abbas was under the impression he was dogging his questions.

"Very well, Mr. Anginer. Please, do tell me the details of your proposal. I am eager to hear to them from you. "

As he said that, he made himself comfortable in his chair as he prepared for what he expected was a long presentation. 

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 08:47:12 PM »
Abbas listened carefully as Maxime presented his case for the project. The cool, professional manner  with which Maxime presented his case appealed to Abbas. Once Maxime was done talking, Abbas handed over the tablet to Azita who bowed and started analyzing the draft with great interest. Abbas started speaking:

"Let me start by saying I appreciate your candor. The client you represent is only interested in the profits that this deal can provide them. Also, you are right when you estimate how much Tamora has lost from the recent "insanity".  So in turn I will be straight with you: the deal you have presented in very appealing and having Tamoran companies be considered equal under Heyran law is of great value to Tamora.
Having said that, I would also like to explain a little of what you are asking. Your presentation was great showing the economic, legal and logistics aspects of the projects. Now give me a chance to explain the other aspects that you need to consider."

"Firstly, I and the Tamoran people in general do not care only about profits. This isn't meant as an insult to you since you've have been straight with me. We lost a lot: reputation, potential partners and money because we do not give up, change or bend just because people ask as to. More to the point, we have lost 25 bln dinars (USD) and we haven't given an inch on slavery. Many in Tamora will see this deal as caving in on our beliefs, and that includes slavery, without even fighting for it. I am willing to assume going against my own people but I want you to understand what you are asking and that takes us to the second point."

"And the second point is the issue of trust. Heyra is allied to the Ecclesiastical State, they pay Heyra 2 bln dinars (USD) every year. Your client is interested in profits, that money makes your client very, very inclined to help ES against us. I frankly would not care that you are allied to the ES but I care when I know that the ES could use Elysium against my Empire. And since we are talking about trust, I now find out that in fact your client isn't even the Heyran Republic but the Heyran Conglomerate, an entity I know little about.  "

"Thirdly, our friends the Royal Seleucid would not be happy to see us allowing the ES to gain a foothold in our region. I have often lamented on how the Ui Cenneslaig have a base in their territory. And I am now giving land for one hundred years to the ally of ES. The ES that has broken a deal with them. Your client will come and go as the winds change but the Royal Seleucid will be our neighbors forever. I need to take into consideration how they feel about it. "

"Lastly, here in Tamora, we care deeply for God and religion. I know Heyra has turned its back on God. Though I fundamentally disagree with that course of action. I perhaps understand the reason. What the Heyran people went though changes a nation profoundly. However, despite how your client might or might not view religion, this contract needs to take that into consideration. Tamorans will not accept this contract if this feels like a simple land trade that doesn't take into consideration religion."

"So before we can move on I need to know:

How can I trust your client that he won't stab us in the back or be a pawn and sabotage us when the ES asks them to? What guarantees can they provide that Elysium will be out the influence of ES even though, and please allow me to be frank here, ES has influence in Heyra though the use of very generous donations? "

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 06:36:42 PM »
Abbas listened to Maxime as he presented his arguments. To Maxime it seemed that everything revolved around contracts or treaties. If something wasn't written there then it didn't exist. Everything war purely transactional. That was totally opposed to how Tamorans did business which was based on trust. Even Abbas when he met with the King of Royal Seleucid and agreed on something, they didn't need to sign anything. With Maxime, or better said with the Heyran Consortium which represented "the Heyran republic alongside private interests", anything that wasn't in a treaty wasn't an obligation to them. While Abbas didn't like that he figured that was the reason you could work with Heyra (or was it the Heyran Consortium) since they would work with anyone as long as you can agree on a contract and once a contract is signed they seems reluctant to break. Of course contract can easily be weaponised Abbas thought, you could easily miss to put a clause and once you sign it you can be at a great disadvantage.

"I understand your perspective" said Abbas. "Also rest assured our conversation will remain confidential. It isn't just that we are discrete, it's also that we have little reason to share things with outsiders.".
"In order for it to work, as I said, we need to take into consideration religion. So let me propose the following articles" as he said that Azita handed over to Maxime the tablet with the proposed articles. One would wonder how did Azita know what the Emperor intended to suggest:

"The Heyran Conglomerate, acknowledging the importance of religion present in the Empire of Tamora, will give free of charge 10 ha of land in Elysium to the Manist Church for the construction of a temple complex. The location of the set land will chosen by the Church. Furthermore, the Heyran  will fund the construction of the said temple complex up 150 million dinars/USD. The Manist Church will have full liberty in terms of construction on the 10 ha mentioned and the Heyran Consortium agrees to exempt the temple complex from any zoning laws of any other construction regulations. "

"The Heyran Congromerate agrees to preserve tombs, archeological sites and any artifacts  discovered during construction in Elysium and return them to the Manist Church free of charge. Where said archeological sites impede vital construction projects, the Heyran Consortium will need approval from the Empire of Tamora before altering them in any way."

"The Heyran Consortium takes note of the importance of religion in the Empire of Tamora and agrees to consult with the Empire to provide specific legislation to Elysium that takes into consideration the religion, tradition and customs of Tamora. While the Heyran Conglomerate agrees to consult the Empire of Tamora on the issues presented above, it is under no obligation to implement any of suggestion from the Empire of Tamora" 

Abbas looked at Maxime before continuing without even bother to check what Azita wrote on the tablet. It seemed he has complete trust in her.

"The first two articles are the ... what word should I use? Let's say "price" to make it this project work. The Tamoran people would not accept such a deal without some guarantees that this isn't just a simple real estate transaction or a way for them to give up their tradition." By that Abbas meant slavery. 

The third article, which, as you can see, implies no obligation from the Heyran Consortium other than to listen to our concerns, is aimed at the long term. Let me be frank and tell you what I aim with it. I hope that if the project is successful it will continue indefinitely, not just for a hundred years. And I want for Elysium to be an autonomous region within the Heyran Republic. I emphasize this, under the Heyran Republic. Now what does autonomous region mean and what legislation should the Heyra Republic pass is, in my opinion, much too early to consider and we will need to discuss it as the need arises. However, as Elysium grows, and Tamora will make it grow if the Heyran Republic respects our religious ..."sensibilities", a dialogue will take place between Heyra and Tamora on the future of Elysium. While Heyra in under no obligation to listen and adopt legislation that gives Elysium autonomy, if it does choose to listen then when the 100 years deadline expires it will be renewed without any need of negations or friction. Or if Heyra decides that Elysium is very successful early on and wants to make Tamora an offer of autonomy in exchange for having the one hundred years period extended indefinitely way before deadline, it would also have that opportunity.

While the first two articles are a must I'm afraid, the third is optional. But if you or better said if your client agrees to it, then we will take it as a sign you see this project as a long term investment, an indefinite one. We will see it that you are prepared to work with us and understand our religious needs. In return Tamora will do its best to make it work. Not just give our consent for the project but actively support it.
Your client wants to see Elysium profitable and rich, we seek to make sure it respects our religion needs and remains a place where people are free to practice their faith. While those goals might create friction at times, with dialogue I believe a compromise can always be reached.

So tell me Mr. Anginer, what do you think?"

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 08:34:18 PM »
Abbas smiled as at Maxime's joke and look carefully at the proposed changes, reflecting on them without saying a word or answering Maxime's questions. Well over a minute passed without Abbas uttering a word and leaving a rather uncomfortable silence in the room. Azita politely indicated to Maxime to wait as to reassure him that nothing is wrong.

"You are shrewd negotiator Mr. Anginer. I am willing to accept all proposals, shake hands and have a deal on just two conditions. One, Article XI keeps the Manist Church instead of Empire of Tamora. We would never agree to sell land for cash and that is implied there. We want to have the name Manist Church stated in full. Since you said your proposed changes are minor then I assume it won't be a problem and second, add to the article XIII what you have said to me here: the total number or representatives and how they are appointed. Organizations change and we wouldn't want to end up with two representatives out of one hundred.

So do we have a deal Mr. Anginer so we can move on to how Tamora can support the project? " as he said that he got up from his seat indicating that he was prepared to shake hands confirming the deal.

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 02:38:47 PM »
"Great" said Abbas smiling and shaking the hand of Maxime. Azita made the necessary preparations so that the two gentlemen had the necessary paperwork so sign. She first handed the papers to Maxime since he was a guest and then to Abbas to sign. Once the papers had been signed, Abbas resumed discussing the topic:

"Now that we have agreed that the Heyran Consortium is interested in working with us and consider our needs , you have our full cooperation.

So if the Heyran Conglomerate is interested, Tamoran corporate nobles could invest in the construction of the city. Now I know you like details but sadly I cannot offer any. What corporate nobles do with their money is none of my business, for my part I will instruct the Foreign Office to recognize Elysium as a safe location for investment which will give them the signal that the project is to be trusted against any potential assets seizure and other "unpleasant" aspects. Should the Heyran Consortium or its companies want to work with ours and can reach an agreement they are free to do so.

Furthermore, please let me know if you are interested in having Elysium connected to the future infrastructure project that aims to connect the Gulf of Safraen to the Sea of Kyne. So far it's only ink on paper but I want to make it a viable alternative to using the sea and I believe Elysium will fit well."

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 04:34:27 PM »
As far as Tamora was concerned, the signature of the Emperor was enough to make the contract valid. Unlike in other empires of Mundus, Abbas. as emperor, had complete authority.

"I am glad you are interested in Mr. Anginer. It is something we here in Tamora are planning. It's our way of responding to the sanctions. I want to make Tamora a lot more relevant on the geopolitical landscape. We have oil and gas, cheap labor but also a great position in Aranye. I want to make use of it.

Since I wasn't prepared to approach this subject specifically, I do not have many details with me. What I can tell you is that the project is the early stages of planning. We are looking for ideas on how to best implement the connection considering costs. While in other countries being the early stages of planning means it will take years if not decades for it to start, it will not be so in Tamora. I can move things very fast. So since you are interested, I will inform my kings, since they handle these things, to include Elysium in the equation and consult you. I know you already met the Queen of Attica so communication won't be a problem. The details will be handled afterwards. "

After pausing for a moment, Abbas resumed:

"Well, we did quite a lot today. " sounding pleased. "Are there any other details that you want to discuss?".