Author Topic: A Private Communication To East Moreland  (Read 2642 times)

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
A Private Communication To East Moreland
« on: September 13, 2019, 07:20:18 AM »

A Private Communication To The Government Of East Moreland

On behalf of Her Imperial Majesty I have been instructed to inform you of the signing of a Treaty between the First Empire of Rokkenjima and the Conglomerate which deepens the relations and partnership which exists between us. The Treaty also involves the hosting of two Rokkenjiman military facilities at Lethe and Styx. The Empress wished for me to inform the Royal Government prior to the Treaty being announced via the Imperial Rokkenjiman Office of the Press.

In Lethe, the First Empire shall "force of 40 vessels totalising a maximum of 400 000 tons, of 20 aircrafts on the ground, along a maximum of 15 000 personnels in the military annexe and have as clear purpose to defend the First Empire interests in the overall region", while in Styx a maximum force of 4 vessels totalising a maximum of 30 000 tons, of 50 aircrafts on the ground, along a maximum of 7 000 personnels. The Treaty also sets forth for managing common Rokkenjiman-Conglomerate patrols and exercises in the region, amongst other terms which shall be available upon the public release of the Treaty.

The Empress believes that ensuring an open line of communication between the First Empire and the Kingdom is important, especially following the closure of QAMB by the Kingdom of Seaforth. It is Her Imperial Majesty's hope that the Kingdom of East Moreland will take this opportunity to engage with the First Empire, and forge a renewed path of understanding between our nations.

Respectfully yours;

Gregory McKenna
Diplomatic Liaison of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Re: A Private Communication To East Moreland
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 09:19:40 PM »

To:- Mr.McKenna

The Kingdom of East Moreland does not welcome this development.

In the past your nation saw fit to first suggest establishing a Tripartite to co-ordinate co-operation between East Moreland, Seaforth and yourself in the Illumic. On many occasions Rokkenjima saw fit to inform East Moreland of action taken in the Illumic via the Rokkenjiman press. This lack of respect for the Tripartite in that form did not prevent East Moreland forces from standing by their obligation to support Rishiri when Transvaal threatened the settlement. We therefore do not have any confidence in a fresh Rokkenjiman prescence showing any different manner of respect.

Furthermore we are dismayed that this agreement has been undertaken. In recent weeks East Moreland has organised a new policy of Mhorish and Illumic defensive patrols organised by all the MICA nations, including Heyra. This firmly saw all native nations undertaking to a desire to support each other and does not require a foreign prescence. The fact that such a deal to bring non-native forces to the Mhorish and Illumic on a permanent basis I believe shows a lack of trust and respect for MICA, the Illumic Council and the AKO.

Following the withdrawal of Rokkenjiman forces from the Illumic it was placed on record by His Majesty King David that he thanked the Rokkenjiman Navy for their previous endeavours but felt that having ended our isolation East Moreland was more than capable and more than willing to underwrite the security of the region through partnerships with Seaforth, Nemerie, Vaguzia and we had believed Heyra. This agreement does not sit well with the idea of regional co-operation and smacks purely on self interest.

East Moreland bares Rokkenjima no ill will but naturally we shall find it difficult to work with people who have in our view shown a complete lack of trust and engagement with a wider region.

Signed

Sir Harry Samuelson
Minister of Defence

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 06:15:50 AM »

Re: Sir Harry Samuelson

Sir Samuelson,

Though I was not a part of this Government during the times you have highlighted I am well aware of past issues. I am a member of the present Government, serving at the leisure of Her Imperial Majesty, and when I took on this position I made clear that I would offer only the most sound of advice and inform her, strongly, when her actions weren't wise. Fortunately, in this situation, it was under her own initiative to see that East Moreland was informed prior to a broader release, a recognition on her part of prior misconduct by her Government in regards to East Moreland and the former Tripartite. This action is one which shows a clear break from the pattern of miscommunication which previously existed.

I cannot speak for the reasons behind the Conglomerate pursuing a path which diverges from that we've seen set forth with MICA, nor their thinking on either the Illumic Council or the AKO. If there is a deficit of trust between these bodies and The Conglomerate I am certain that an agent of the Conglomerate would be better equipped than myself to address them. Rokkenjiman history with the Conglomerate, previously Heyra, is formed through a deep sense of respect and gratitude, especially as Heyra served as a refuge for countless Rokkenjimans in the Republican era. That these bonds have grown to a level which sees the Conglomerate offering to host Rokkenjiman forces is something we did not foresee, but a natural development between two nations deepening the level of their partnership and coordination.

The First Empire does not doubt the capabilities of East Moreland, nor does it seek to offend or dismiss its actions and the statements of His Majesty King David. The Empress, in directing me to inform East Moreland of these developments prior to their broader release, shows a genuine interest and effort in making up for past deficits. It is my hopes, as a relative newcomer to the Imperial Government and a native of the Illumic myself, that I may play a role in ensuring that open communications allow for stability and harmony to prevail always in my home region.

I look forward to continuing our dialogue, and keep my lines open all hours of the day.

Respectfully yours;

Gregory McKenna

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 06:23:15 AM »

It is with some dismay that I contact you today, especially as our dialogue has fallen silent.

Prior to the announcement of the Pyrettania-Panner Mount Accord between the First Empire and The Conglomerate I established, by direct order of the Empress, a line of communication to ensure that the Kingdom of East Moreland was made aware prior to the announcement. East Moreland shared its distaste for the Treaty and the prospect of Rokkenjiman forces returning to the Illumic. These actions showed a break in the previous mode of operations presented by Rokkenjima toward East Moreland, and a genuine interest in putting such past difficulties aside. As a son of the Illumic myself, and a McKenna, I also noted my sincere interests in ensuring that "open communications allow for stability and harmony to prevail always in my home region."

In the Imperial Address the Empress stated that Rokkenjima is an "Illumic and Krimeon power" and, in the scope of the operations called for between Rokkenjima and The Conglomerate there isn't anything incompatible, or that which conflicts, with present designs in the broader region. As we saw when the Empress proposed actions directed at the "Principality of Northern Borland" consultation was sought with King Andrew, as was permission to deploy forces from QAMB. When King Andrew declined permission and presented a strategy of his own the Empress threw her full support behind his proposed actions and did not introduce forces from outside of the region for any Rokkenjiman operations. If the Empress truly discounted the views and concerns of Illumic nations, certainly she would have simply ignored King Andrew and initiated operations anyway, utilizing forces which would not have been under any conditions as set forth between Rokkenjima and Seaforth.

This sole issue which involved the "Borlander Principality" and by extension Zimalia hardly meets the threshold of Rokkenjima "threaten(ing) to use its military assets in the Illumic to threaten other Illumic nations" and is a mischaracterization of Rokkenjiman history in the Illumic. To be certain Rokkenjima had a period of tensions with the Trade Empire of Transvaal (once they had kidnapped several Rokkenjimans, executing many of them, before attacking QAMB); in this situation the First Empire showed remarkable resolve and threw its weight behind operations put forward by Illumic nations, as per Rokkenjiman policy to respect Illumic-led initiatives. Rokkenjima also took an active role when the United Soviet Russia established a blockade of the Great Northern Sea and, later in the Illumic Crisis, showed restraint in dealings with the Kingdom of Seaforth which resulted in a Non-Aggression Pact between the entirety of the CSTO and that Kingdom; these are hardly the actions of a nation which "threatened to use its military assets" in the Illumic in bids to "threaten" Illumic nations.

Indeed, the last operations Rokkenjima conducted from QAMB were in support of the Kingdom of Seaforth during the SCC crisis, while also pledging aid and assistance to that very same Kingdom when it re-emerged from its Fall.

Rokkenjima, as a member of the original Illumic Council, was a partner in working with Illumic nations and it is unfortunate that East Moreland now feels the need to fear monger in light of the agreement reached between the First Empire and the Conglomerate. While East Moreland presents a false narrative of Rokkenjima, it also does damage to the efforts undertaken in recent times to normalize relations between the First Empire and the Kingdom. While I again state my dismay that our dialogue saw no further input from East Moreland my intentions remain the same and carry the full support of the Empress. Pursuing a course of confrontation with the First Empire will not serve the interests of East Moreland, nor will a campaign of fear mongering and misrepresentation serve our mutual interests in the tranquility of the Illumic.

The First Empire has never been an enemy to the Kingdom of East Moreland, nor is it a threat to the stability of the Illumic. Abandoning the lines of communication and acting in this manner, especially as the Kingdom has chided the First Empire for not doing enough to communicate duly with the Kingdom, are not actions which wear well upon the Kingdom. To ensure fairness, as Rokkenjima is most likely to be assailed without an opportunity to speak for itself before the MICA, the Ministry for Foreign Affairs has commuted its concerns with The Conglomerate so that they may have facts to present in light of East Moreland's decision to employ fear mongering, instead of the cooperation I've been suing for, before MICA.

As with before my lines remain open should East Moreland be ready to cooperate, instead of a confrontation, as we move into the future.

Respectfully yours;

Gregory McKenna

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 10:23:45 PM »

Mr.McKenna,

As a self confessed "son of the Illumic" you should be aware more than most of the desire in recent years for the nations of the Illumic to be the ones in control of the destiny of this region. As a McKenna you will also be aware of the hard work done by East Moreland and Seaforth in the last half a decade or so to ensure that the Illumic has become one of the safest waterways on Mundus for merchant shipping, an achievement accomplished by essentially our two nations carrying the weight of this responsibility alone.

What we see in this latest round of base announcements is Rokkenjima utilising one nations lack of either ability or desire to take personal responsibility for their native waters to maintain a position that is not needed in 2019. Whether you wish to call my words "Fear mongering or not" it is on record Empress Beatrice stated "each day the 'Principality' exists is unacceptable; if Zimalia is incapable of removing itself from the business of supporting Borlander legitimacy we shall be forced to act." Both you and I have been around both the military and diplomacy long enough to know that these statements are meant to act as a deterant at best and a signal of impending action at worst. There is also the fact of the Empress stating "The time for resisting the call to action is far behind us, thus Zimalia shall have before it two choices: dismantle the so-called "Principality" of its own volition or dismantle it with the assistance of the international community, facing the consequences of its cooperation with Kyle Barren and the Separatists through the economic, diplomatic and, if necessary, the military tools of the international community." Only following this incident did Seaforth change its policy on use of force from your bases in the Illumic. This incident escalated a situation that the nation you now represent have limited intelligence on to one that saw no less than four non-Illumic nation dragged into a situation that was of Rokkenjiman creation. It is for reasons such as this that we struggle to come to terms with a Rokkenjiman return.

Since our nations relationship began East Moreland has a track record of co-operating with Rokkenjima, I am sure if you ask your colleagues around government they can find you even more examples of when East Moreland has taken up the sword or shield on behalf of Rokkenjima. I am however unaware of any situation where the opposite has happened. On what basis then should we look forward to co-operation when so far this has been a one way street. Statements of facts only create fear if they provoke that within people. In the coming days I shall put before MICA a series of propositions regarding a reallication of Rapid Reaction Response Areas, a project that was underway while you and the Conglomerate held talks behind MICA's back. As part of this I shall before the membership of MICA a series of measures that will reshape these in light of the now changed situation. Should Rokkenjima truly wish to be seen as a guest in the Illumic and not some Imperialistic power I would urge the Empress to abide by the decisions reached by MICA. While I have not ruled out future co-operation between Rokkenjima and East Moreland this is becoming increasingly hard to justify when it happens on the First Empire's terms only.

I shall keep you informed of MICA's talks via my Minister of Defence Sir Harry Samuelson.

May The Gods Watch Over You and Your Nation Know Peace.

King David III of East Moreland.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 08:34:16 AM »

Your Majesty,

I am well aware of what you speak of, having previously served under former Governor of Somerset, Evanthe Rhodes. However, if you would allow, I do have a few points I would like to raise at this time.

In the very quote from which you site the Empress also stated, prior to the excerpts you shared with me, as follows:

"Should the Zimalian Government transfer sovereignty over the so-called 'Principality' to a neutral force, perhaps a trusteeship of the CTO or the CMA, and expel any Separatists from it the First Empire will no longer consider it a threat and will remove the military option from the table. These moves could also be coupled with increased foreign aid to improve broader conditions throughout Zimalia."

The very fact that the Empress sought permission of the Seaforthian Government, when she was in fact under no obligation to do so, speaks to the respect she had as well as her faith in the approach which Seaforth put forth. That she did not act unilaterally through moving forces from outside of QAMB, or simply ignoring King Andrew in initiating operations regardless, further speaks to that respect. In return for the respect shown by the Empress and her faith in the process, the Kingdom moved for the closure of QAMB, which brings us to the present situation which sees a new agreement reached between the First Empire and The Conglomerate. Had King Andrew returned the gestures of the Empress in kind, we'd very likely not be having this conversation.

After speaking to my colleagues I got acquainted with the Rokkenjiman view of the Regency Crisis, during which the Imperial Government brought great scrutiny to bear upon James, as well as the personal efforts of the Empress in your name. As we've seen in the Empress' insistence that I approach East Moreland prior to public announcement of the Treaty with the Conglomerate, the approach Rokkenjima is taking in the modern era is not that of past eras: such gestures should be reciprocated, not drowned out by a litany of past grievances which are not applicable to the modern era. Had the Empress taken previous courses, had she not sought to inform East Moreland prior to the Treaty's unveiling, I may have taken a position similar to that which you have presented. Had she of not respected the choice of King Andrew and pressed ahead with operations regardless, I would not be serving in her Government.

I shall look forward to hearing from Sir Harry Samuelson.

Respectfully yours;

Gregory McKenna

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 09:46:51 AM »
To:- Empress Evanthe

I note that in recent days the matter of the Unified Iwi's historic actions have once again come to prominence in your nations media. While we believe the Maori's actions were overly aggressive we ourselves can understand the frustration and determination that lead to such action. Your yourself know that both our nations have at times bent the limits of international norms in order to bring about justice[1]. No doubt had the perpetrators of the kidnap of the then Princess Adriana have been easy to capture or eliminate I suspect the Rokkenjiman government would have acted to ensure they no longer posed a threat.

I believe the course of action you are proposing at present has some major concerns and would like to propose a better path forward. First allow me to outline our concerns.

1. Article 287 of the FSC states that "When signing, ratifying or acceding to this Convention or at any time thereafter, a State shall be free to choose, by means of a written declaration, one or more of the following means for the settlement of disputes concerning the interpretation or application of this Convention" of those listed the International Court is one such body. However to utilise this in this circumstance would require the Maori to have nominated it as their means of settlement.

2. Should the two parties in dispute, yourself and the Iwi, have nominated different means of settlement then sub-paragraph 5 states "If the parties to a dispute have not accepted the same procedure for the settlement of the dispute, it may be submitted only to arbitration in accordance with Annex VII, unless the parties otherwise agree" This therefore would bring into play. This causes problems as this would put the matter to a panel of arbitration which states "A list of arbitrators shall be drawn up and maintained by the Secretary-General of the United Nations[2]. As this body no longer exists no list exists, as such we would be forced to draw up a list from scratch and that must not, for the sake of fairness involve any Cross-Straits nation as they are in league with one complainant and nor should it involve any CNN nation as that has similar connections. Therefore the provision of a Arbitration by FSC is likely to be impossible.

3. No physical FSC court can exist without the existence of an overarching body and no such venue currently exists on Mundus.

I therefore propose that the following take place.

1) A meeting between a representative of the Iwi and Rokkenjima take place in Portworth with a representative from, should they agree, Paracambi (an independently aligned nation with a proud naval heritage), Chistopol (again independent of both nations and with a successful track record of negotiating disputes between nations) in attendance and chaired by Queen Atalanta II of Cassiopeia (herself a respected naval officer).

2) At the meeting measures be put in place to ensure future compliance with the FSC.

3) At the meeting I be permitted to introduce the concept I have in mind that would reassure not just The Iwi but also other nations that have faced similar hardships in the past that they can and will receive justice.

I believe this approach gives a way forward which has much more chance of success than a lengthy, drawn out and I believe unsuccessful attempt to use the apparatus of the FSC which we may also need to consider amendments to as the world no longer enjoys the security of a CTO type organisation to provide management and oversight of such a treaty.

I look forward to your response.

May The Gods Watch Over You and Your Nation Know Peace.

King David III of East Moreland.
 1. I'm assuming Evanthe is now aware of the fact East Moreland effectively tidied up the Asuana issue for Rokkenjima
 2. Consider this to be whatever our UN was at the time, Covenant of Nations (???)

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 11:34:16 PM »

Private Communication Regarding Iwi Violations Of The FSC

King David,

I appreciate that we both have a reverence for the Fair Seas Concordat and understand your concerns regarding the First Empire's actions in regards to your CNN partners, the Iwi. I would also wish to say that the scenario involving the Iwi and the situation surrounding the Crown Princess are not comparable, and the actions of our Governments in those regards have no bearing on the matter presently being discussed. Furthermore, as Rokkenjima has stated its concerns that members of the CNN aren't held to account as other nations would be, I find your intervention in this affair a bit inappropriate. I respect why you've reached out, I know your intentions mean well, but the fact remains that the King openly admitted to a blatant violation of the Fair Seas Concordat and must be held accountable.

The First Empire has determined that it will continue to handle this affair as it has stated from the start: seeking an opinion rooted in firm knowledge of the Concordat prior to proceeding upon any course of action. This opinion shall be rendered by Commander Melanie Armitage. Involving SUN, as well as nations who are not even party to the FSC, is not an avenue I wish to pursue.

When the King signed the Fair Seas Concordat he gave his word, and that of his nation, that the Iwi would adhere to it. That they have failed to do so, regardless of the circumstances, is something which cannot and should not be ignored. However, should the Iwi be open to a meeting with a Rokkenjiman representative I'm certain something could be worked out, to prevent such situations from taking place in the future.

Respectfully yours;

Empress of Rokkenjima
Princess of Arovium
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 12:51:49 AM by Beatrice »

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 11:44:38 PM »
OOC - This means a total reassessment then of the FSC. If we're saying it's not the same as UNCLOS  then people are signing it misleadingly.