Author Topic: Mending The Torn Flag  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Admiral Taiwanpenguin

• Regional Power
  • Glory to the Revolution!
    • View Profile
    • Second Imperial Chinese Republic
  • Your Nation: 2nd Imperial Chinese Republic
Mending The Torn Flag
« on: May 08, 2020, 09:26:41 AM »
Jinduming tiredly listened to the Electorate bicker as he watched from the royal balcony perched above the chamber’s entrance. The reporters’ booths were empty as always- they weren’t allowed in until the last ten minutes of the five-hour session.

He checked his watch. Five minutes to recess.

The legislators had been arguing since morning over a single measure- originally adding the Wilderjaern forces to the military for a service span of ten years instead- and it had seen countless revisions now, just an act to increase the Wilderjaegern service by a few months.

They'll throw it out soon, he thought to himself. He had half a mind to throw the law out right now, but the Electorate could always override him with a 2/3s vote, yet that could be overturned by the Imperial Supreme Court overruling them, and then the Electorate could overrule both of them-

He shut his eyes, sighing. His gut stabbed out in pain as he leaned back, causing him to lurch back forwards.

Grasping the already crinkled sheet of paper in his hands, he bent forward in his seat, gasping for breath as his servant hurried up to him, uncapping an army injector. A House Guard exposed his vein even as he struggled to sit upright, then gritted his teeth as he heard the quick hiss of the injector on his inner elbow.

As the pain gradually subsided, he became aware of the still-ongoing din below him, then President Herminstaat call recess.

He pulled himself up despite quiet urges from his servants and guards, and balanced his hands on the railing, letting the light of the chamber illuminate his full form for all below to see. He waited for their attention to catch his unusual pose, the noise eventually lowering to an uncomfortable silence.

Jinduming cleared his throat, taking a final glance from the paper and began to speak.

"I hope you are all well today. I have a situation to bring up. In recent weeks, my physicians have informed me that an unfortunate chemical residue from the Civil War in my gut will cause my death in an inconvenient amount of time. I have placed my succession in the hands of the Crown Prince. You all have many questions, but I have no opportunity to answer them. I have now realized too late that as I pushed the nation to reemergence that I left too many ends untied. The erratic actions of the IFC during the Sinsic and my own during the various other international issues have shown that what is needed is a reformation of the Imperial Administration at large. I will be taking measures as needed to correct this issue as well as the time allotted to me allows."

His vision swept the whole chamber, eyeing the shocked expressions of the Electorate.

"That is all."

He turned and left, headed for the Imperial Palace. He motioned to a servant. "Call the Crown Prince to my office immediately."

"Sorry I'm late, the royal train was delayed by the Electorate transports leaving-"

The 29-year old Crown Prince burst into the room to find his father seated with a bottle of baijiu before him, a glass full in hand. Jinxingguo strode to him, swiping the bottle off the table and setting it on the floor beside him.

"You're dying from liver failure and you're drinking alcohol?"

Jinduming managed a weak smile. "Might as well. Listen." He leaned forward, his expression hardening. "When I'm gone, you're the ruler. Do as you will- it's your nation now. That's what my father said before he passed. Do as you will. Just- just don't-"

He groaned, shaking with convulsions, causing the Crown Prince to catch him before he planted his face onto the desk. "-Don't let the nation burn down again. Dissolve the Electorate, form a dictatorship, welcome the democratics-, don't, just don't let another civil war tear the nation down."

Jinxingguo turned towards the doors. "Guards! Get a doctor! Now!"

He was pulled back to the desk as Jinduming yanked him close by the collar.

"Promise me. Please."

The Crown Prince blinked in surprise, replying, "I.. I will."

The Emperor-Admiral stared into his son's eyes a final time and nodded, allowing the doctors and guards behind them to check him over.
Factbook
SICRD-PAO

By the Dragons and the Emperor-Admiral, Forward!

Offline Admiral Taiwanpenguin

• Regional Power
  • Glory to the Revolution!
    • View Profile
    • Second Imperial Chinese Republic
  • Your Nation: 2nd Imperial Chinese Republic
Re: Mending The Torn Flag
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 07:59:02 AM »
The Electorate was missing a good two dozen of its members, having gone off to back the DLF and monarchist forces, yet the noise the remainders made was roughly equivalent. Any original political alignment was meaningless- now all the parties stood side by side against their own former fellow party members, shouting, accusing, and some even trying to force their way past the military police President Herminstaat had ordered inside to keep order, waving their fists, faces flush with rage. He could catch snatches of their jeers- "traitor," "usurper," over the shoulders of his Imperial House Guard as they joined the line of military police, slinging their rifles over their backs as they reached for nightsticks.

Herminstaat himself was shouting down the crowd the best he could to allow Jinxingguo to speak, finally reaching into the podium's cubby for the gun, firing in the air to catch everyone's attention. He ended up shooting about half the magazine before the angry crowds on both sides settled down enough for the new Emperor-Admiral to take the stage. The President nodded to the young monarch, stepping aside for him to stand before the podium's microphone. He cast a quick glance at the balcony above him, where his father had clenched a speech of his own.

He cleared his throat, starting carefully, "I know my media statements this morning were found by many of you to be atrociously hollow, treasonous even. I understand that those of you opposed to me, including those actively opposing the authority of the Throne, feel that I have betrayed our country for power, especially since the circumstances of my father's death were so sudden and suspicious, those fears boosted by my intentions to form a democracy. But let it be understood that I do not intend to demolish the monarchy. I will keep it as the nation's figurehead and executive leader. I will remove the position of President and move all offices of the Executive branch to the service of the royal government. I am holding emergency reelections of the Electorate, and the other departments of the state will be reformed accordingly to the Constitution I have planned. Continued military and political reforms to rid the nation of corruption will be boosted, and I will delve into regional politics to stabilize relationships with Rokkenjima- "

He was interrupted as an older politician spoke up, angrily shouting, "Bullshit! You're just a puppet! A foreign puppet! You'd sooner let us drown in ruin from within by killing your own father and letting them in than-"

The man was cut off as he was seized by several military police, shouting obscenities as they dragged him to the wall, tying on a gag to keep him quiet. He continued to struggle as Jingxingguo continued, "-while exercising caution in diplomatic interactions. SANE will be requested for a trusted source of military forces to assist in suppressing the rebels, while proper democracies such as New Derusmia or others will be consulted for assistance in the development and transition to a democratic society with laws proposed by the Electorate and passed by the Emperor-Admiral, whose serving terms will be lifelong, in accordance with royal custom. Free speech and deregulation of certain laws-"

Once more he was cut off as the half of the entire opposition broke out in protest, hearing snatches as they all spoke at the same time. "-Just another occupation- -How do we know they won't make it advantageous for them-"

One called out louder than the others, jeering, "How ironic that the central government now is democratic, eh? Why don't you go the full road and dissolve the whole Electorate while you're at it? Why not kill all of the opposition, boy? Just like your father, and his father?"

Soldiers stepped forward, but the Jingxingguo waved them off, his face stony. He motioned to the restrained legislator. "Let him vote."

Turning back, he shouted, "How many of you are still opposed?"

A few members of the opposition moved to his supporters' side, already aware of his intention.

The rest stood defiantly, still smirking at the Emperor-Admiral. He glared back, then suddenly smiled without emotion. To his satisfaction, their sneers dropped like a stone, looks of horror taking hold of them as he turned to the soldiers facing him. Too late.

"Soldiers. Throw these traitors off the roof. If they don't die when they hit the ground, shoot them." He faced his supporters, some cheering as the others were taken, screaming and flailing. The others looked at him with uncertainty, and at least more than a few tried to act enthusiastically supportive. He waved them off the act, placing a hand on the podium.

"From this moment forward, the Electorate is dissolved. A better system will be devised to replace it. For now, I am taking emergency control of the country. We will reunite the country and build a new one to replace this one. We will fix the torn flag of our ancestors and redye it. We may have marched out in bloody and friendless, but we will prosper with our allies and lessons taught to us from our mistakes. Let us return the nation to the people, for we are them as much as they are us, and the right to their own lives is one that we shall work to improve for all of us, and not simply the government as a nation-state. Long live the Republic!"

The cheer he received was uncertain from some members, but it'd do.

"Right then. If you'll excuse me, I need to ask our allies for help."

As he walked out the door, he heard a scream and loud thump as a body impacted the paving stones a few yards away. A grim sight, for sure, as blood began pooling around the cracked skull.

But rest assured, he told himself, for it will be the first of the last.
Factbook
SICRD-PAO

By the Dragons and the Emperor-Admiral, Forward!