Roleplay > International News Networks

Gairm Nan Gaidheal

(1/10) > >>

KrisNord:

EXTREMELY LARGE TELESCOPE SET FOR TURN ON
Tomorrow afternoon the King and his sister Princess Una will turn on the Extremely Large Telescope, possibly the largest telescope on Mundus with a diameter of  39.3 m. It is expected that from this site, built in the Highlands, that an unprescidented view of the solar system will be possible. The project was pushed for by Princess Una who has a keen interest in astronomy herself having been the President of her universities Astronomy Society. In the coming weeks three other telescopes using a variety of techniques will also be activated forming the Southern Skies Observatory. It is also expected that a further telescope being built in Lodja and one in East Moreland will also feed into the network making it the most extensive star gazing network on Mundus. The Princess has already spoken of her excitement saying. "I'm proud that our nation has invested so heavily in scientific advancement, while others are building weapons we're building things to learn about the galaxy. Its exciting to think what we could discover."

It is also expected that scientists from all the CNN nations will be present at the turn on, something King Finley was keen to emphasis, "The CNN is not a military alliance, it covers a whole range of co-operation and science is just one facet, possibly the most important. The more that we learn the better we can take care of our world and ourselves, I hope that having the brightest minds from four nations working together to learn all we can from this will show great results soon."

QUEEN EXPECTING THIRD CHILD
Queen Ríona has today announced that she is expecting her third child. The Queen, who is 41 years of age has been married to King Finley since 2005 and the pair already have two children, Prince Keane (Aged 11) and Princess Isobel (age 7). There has been several misreported pregnancies over the past few years however this time it is believed the royal couple choose to wait until the Queen was three months pregnant before making the announcement which was read at the Palace gates by King Finley's chief of staff Miss Adeen O'Lone before leaving the notice on the gates. Later in the day the King was seen watching his son Keane during his Gaelic Football practice where he also enjoyed a drink with other parents. As he left he spoke briefly with the press saying he was "Excited and nervous about becoming a father again."

Queen Cait of Cantabria, the King's youngest sister took to Twitter to share her joy saying, "Looking forward to meeting new nephew/niece and seeing UC soon". Queen Cait is due to visit the nation for the turn on of the ELT and is likely to spend a few days catching up with her family.

KrisNord:

SCORDISCI BECOMES "SPECIAL PROVINCE"
Following the conclusion of the referendum in Scordisci the votes have been counted and 72% of those who cast their votes elected for the former nation to become a province of Ui Cenneslaig but with special status. Under the terms of the new arrangement Scordisci will have a Royal Governor who will be responsible for setting policies relating to infastructure, housing, health and education amongst others, with the King assuming responsibility for foreign policy, defence and law and order. There had been some complain that in the months since the Ui Cenneslaig government put Scordisci under protectorship that Cenneg citizens migrating would skew the vote however as King Finley explained, "In the 8 months since the Jacobsen Virus hit Scordisci so hard we had literally just shut the borders of Scordisci normal everyday life would have collapsed, people from Cenneslaig have taken a gamble, they have packed up their lives and headed to Scordisci for new oppurtunities and a chance to help rebuild. We should be celebrating what these people have done and not seeing them as some kind of referendum ploy. Now this is over we will not see these people return because they have invested in a life in what I am proud to call the Ui Cenneslaig Special Province of Scoridisci."

The vote also means that for the next six weeks Princess Una will act as Royal Governor until such a time as elections are held for the position. The Princess explained, "I will not be making any changes, Scordisci is working well at the moment and I see no reason to shake the boat over such a short period of time. I will only be reactive should I need to be, and I hope I have a very boring six weeks before handing over to someone the people believe is best to guide the Province." In the meantime members of the Scordisci military will be offered either an honourable discharge or will be merged with the UC military, this process will take place over the next few months and will likely see members of the UC military close to retirement offered early retirement in order to accomodate the Scordisci forces.

Meanwhile the King has announced that two new Thaneships will be created, the Thane of Scordisci and the Thane of Dundalkshire. The Thane of Dundalkshire shall be granted an estate close to the former capital city of Scordisci while the Thane of Scordisci shall be granted estates in the countryside. This will be the first new Thaneships created in over 500 years and the King has confirmed that he already has two people in mind. "I intend to create new youthful Thanes who have an interest in getting to know other lands and cultures, as such I shall be offering the Thaneship of Dundalkshire to Princess Rhiannon Ironside, the Morelanders helped defuse our arguement with Scordisci and then flooded the region with aid when the Jacobsen Virus hit, as such the Morelanders are in good standing with the locals and I am sure the Princess shall grown into a fine figurehead for that region. We shall meanwhile offer the Thaneship of Scordisci to Princess Alana of Lodja, she has spent time living in Ui Cenneslaig as a gesture of goodwill to the CNN and Network of Crowns, she is a lovely young lady who I know holds the Celtic culture in high regard."

KrisNord:

CORPRE ARRIVES IN THE UNITED IWI PORT
The nations aircraft carrier, The Corpre, has today arrived in the Commonwealth of The Iwi. The aircraft carrier is joined by several other ships including destroyers capable of intercepting missiles. The fleet was sent by King Finley in response to veiled threats made towards The Iwi by Saheristan following The Iwi's recognition of the Utmen. The King explained that the deployment was "part of the commitment between CNN nations towards each others security." It is expected that the fleet will stay for a considerable amount of time and conduct exercises with the Iwi's navy in and around the Matilda's. It is also expected that some of the fleet may pay a visit to the Celtic Protectorate HQ in Mercia where some 10,000 UC soldiers are stationed.

The fleet is also carrying an anti-missile system loaned to The Iwi by CNN partners East Moreland. This system is designed to further secure the Iwi against attacks by Saheristan. King Finley explained, "While we may be CNN allies the Iwi are free to pursue their own foreign policy. We are yet to make a determination as to where our support lies regarding the Utmen, however we will not tolerate our friends being threatened when we can do something to support them."

GALLOWGLASS TO HELP WELCOME SOMERSET TO THE WORLD
Following an invite the attend the establisbhment of an independent Somerset the King has dispatched his brother Prince Lennox, sister Princess Una and members of the 1st King's Own Gallowglasses Regiment to join the occasion. The King spoke of the event saying, "We believe that our celtic brothers and sisters around the world are our family. I see this festival as being like watching a little nephew take its first steps, a moment that any uncle would be delighted to attend. Sadly my own schedule forbids it however it is our honour to be able to send two royals and the fine men and women of our nations oldest regiment. I would like to extend a warm congratulations to the people of Somerset and hope to see many of them attending next years Highland Games representing not a clan but a nation. I will this evening raise a glass or three to their health and may their worst day ahead be only as bad as the best they have had so far."

The Regiment have sent a contingent of twenty pipers, ten drummers and twenty Gallowglass soldiers. The Colonel of the Regiment, Seamus McNally, said "The Gallowglass is an ancient group of soldiers, a warrior caste, today we are proud of our heritage and we know we share much in common with the people of Seaforth. To be permitted to play our pipes and drums there is good to be a wonderful experience and myself and the troops are looking forward to it."

KrisNord:

LUNA LANDER SET FOR LAUNCH
Following months of testing the Spásárthach Lander, ultimately destined for Nergal, has been declared fit for launch. The destination however will not be the red planet but instead Mundus' own moon Luna. It has been decieded that the landers prototype, which is half the size of the real one, will be utilised in landing on the lunar surface to conduct various sample tests and take images. a UCSA Project leader explained, "We've got this lander, its serving no real purpose anymore and we've wanted to get some data from Luna for a potential manned mission for some time, we see this as a fitting way of using the prototype in a less demanding environment than Luna. It will also give us some insight into how the Nergal mission would go.

The launch is expected to be at the end of next week and is likely to witnessed by King Finley who has shown a personal interest in the project. The monarch was at the announcement and said, " I grew up reading comics about space and science fiction, I have no idea half the time what the men and women at UCSA say but it sounds impressive. If they want to go ahead and put this thing on Luna then I'm all for it, I look forward to seeing the mission be successful and help improve the level of scientific study going on in our nation."

The King has also spoken of potential cross Ardian space missions in the future saying, "We've got some high tech nations on our doorstep that we should consider working alongside, space is a massive adventure and excites everyone, its a good opportunity to bring people together." The King's 11 year old son Prince Keane was also at the announcement taking notes, the youngster said, "We have a school project about the solar system and this lander is interesting, so Dad said I could come and write an article for the school newspaper, a lot of us get excited about the cool stuff we learn about space in school so to see a real life lander was brilliant." The King hopes that the enthusiasm of a space programme will help increase the up take of sciences at University following a recent study saying that 8% of places at University sciences courses are currently not filled, something the King described as "disturbing, every nation needs a supply of well educated and quality scientists, we're not quiet getting the flow I'd like to see so we need to get youngsters excited about science. This could be just one prong in our way of getting people onboard."

KrisNord:

PRESTIGIOUS SCHOOL PLACED IN "SPECIAL MEASURES"
Following a seemingly random attack on Chapterhouse school in Vaguzia (??) and the following media story highlighting some issues a surprise inspection by the Office for Schools, Training Academies and Pupil Oppurtunities (OFSTAPO) found the school wanting on a number of issues. By law any educational provider in the Kingdom is given an inspection every four years and graded either "Outstanding", "Good", "Requiring Improvement" or "Requiring Special Measures" in a variety of different areas including Achievement, Teaching and Learning, Leadership, Cultural Enrichment and Safeguarding of Young People. Any school being considered to be "Requiring Special Measures" in Safeguarding of Young People is automatically graded as that overall. Inspections take place with only 24 hours notice and last two days unless a school is not considered good where an extra day of inspection is carried out. A no notice surprise inspection can take place without any notice, such as happened in this case.

The last inspection of Chapterhouse Claith Lifeboat was carried out in 2015 and the school was rated as Outstanding in every category except Safeguarding Young People, for which it gained a rating of Good. Inspectors from OFSTAPO spent the day watching lessons, checking paperwork, interviewing pupils and staff as well as examining the schools facilities. The school was found to have "serious short comings" in terms of student safety as the report stated, "Students are put through daily exercise and religious rituals which do not seem coherent with the curriculum needs.". Another finding of the report stated, "The school grounds contained non-teaching members of staff who appeared to have no direct connection with activities within the school." meaning concerns were raised about the schools security. Finally the report stated "Several inspections of the students living quarters discovered military paraphanalia and in some cases knives still attached to cadet force equipment. It is also likely that girls as young as five have been given cadet style training." While military cadet forces are a common feature of schools in Ui Cenneslaig they are not permitted to accept members under the age of 13. The school will now receive one inspection a week at random for at least the next six months. The schools head teacher Hannah McKey has yet to respond to the report.

The Chapterhouse School in Vaguzia is part of a chain of four, along with the one in Claith, Achkaerin and Himeyama. The school in Vaguzia has been linked to the Bene Gesserit faith following a seemingly random attack by Borland Separatists. The Chapterhouse Schools are run by the O'Hogan Educational Trust which is run by Niklaus O'Hogan who is apparently "away on family business and unable to comment."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version