Author Topic: A Nation Betrayed  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
A Nation Betrayed
« on: January 17, 2021, 01:39:33 PM »
(OOC: A Nation Betrayed is a movie made by Samira Hanifnejad  detailing the events of Clysperi Civil war and its aftermath)

Part one- Beginning - the place crash

The most dramatic event in the recent history of MidAranye is no doubt the Clysperi civil war which broke out after the traitor named Nekhtou lead a rebellion against Pharaoh Akasha. While the rebellion was defeated and Pharaoh Akasha's rule was restored over all the lands of Clysperis little is known about what lead to that rebellion, what were the effects and how the Clysperi people are dealing with the aftermath. We set out first and foremost with the goal of talking to the Clysperi people asking them what happened, how they were affected and how they feel now rather than rely soly statistics and reports. Through the course of this documentary, we have had the pleasure to speak with more than 300 Clysperi from the beggars to high nobles, some shared our unshakable faith in the Prophet but many more followed the ancient religion of their lands. Each of them had a story to tell and this is what they told us.

On the 8th of October of 2019 the plane carrying the then called Pharaoh Bekaten and Prince Naser of Tamora crashed. Initially there was no news of survivors.

Nanma, a school teacher, was teaching at her school when news of the plane crash reached her. One of her colleagues asked her to leave the room so that she could speak to her in private.

"I'll never forget the shock I felt when I heard the news. I was stunned. Moments passed and I could hear my college speaking to me but I couldn't answer. I also knew that I had to inform my students but I didn't know how to tell them."

I was on patrol when it happened. I remember being informed on the station about her plane crashing and to be on alert for any disturbances. We were supposed to maintain order and assure the public but in truth we were just as shocked and confused as any Clysperi.

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
The rebellion begins (Part II)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 01:43:28 PM »
The rebellion begins (Part II)

While news that the Pharaoh and Prince Naser survived the crash, the celebrations were short lived as a rebellion started in the Southern part of the country. Almost overnight, neighbors turned against neighbors, brother against brother and son against father.

Bertha, a 65 year old Clysperi woman living in a Southern Clysperis town, remembers how some of the villagers took up arms stormed the town hall and declared that the town now belonged to the Confederation.

"News broke out in the village that some of villagers carrying arms broke into the town hall, took hostage the mayor and declared the village is now part of the Confederation or something. We had no idea what that meant, who they were or what they wanted. "

It was a scene that would repeat itself numerous times in the South of Clysperis. Armed men claiming to be part of a so called Confederation would use force to intimidate the population and impose their will on the people. Countless witnesses would tell our team similar stories. It later was confirmed that the aggressors were part of a coordinated effort lead by a man by the name of Nekhtou who sought to take power for himself.

The Confederation was especially brutal in the suppression of Manist religion. Manist temples were often attacked or closed. After the war conflict ended, two Manist imams were awarded the Crescent of the Prophet, the highest Tamoran civilian decoration, for continuing to preach the word of the Prophet despite the persecution. Facing such severe persecution many Manists organized and formed the Common Defense League, a paramilitary forced that was instrumental in defeating the rebels.

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
How was this possible? (Part III)
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 01:50:23 PM »
How was this possible?  (Part III)

Many in Tamora and thought MidAranye wondered during those dreadful times how was that possible?  How something like that could have happened in a country where the Pharaoh was so beloved by the people and how could the rebels organize themselves without anyone, especially the authorities noticing?

Imam Rahbar Mehin, the Head of Tamora’s Foreign Intelligence Service(FIS) at that time, immediately resigned following the news of the insurrection and taking full responsibility for the failure of Foreign Intelligence Service to detect and stop the insurrection. Imam Rahbar Mehin was kind enough to talk to us and we asked him what his thoughts are about potential foreign involvement in Clysperis and if that could potentially explain the rise of the insurgency.

“While New Derusmia was the only country to formally acknowledge its involvement, it is unlikely that they were only ones involved. The extent of the insurgency capabilities strongly suggests that other actors were involved long before the insurgency commenced.”

Priest Menes from one of the many Kemetic temples in the south of the country explains how the insurgency radicalized the youth:

“For years I have seen a growing trend in my community especially among the youth. They had become radicalized espousing not just view contrary to the ancient faith and the establishment order but outright hatred of the community and its way. “I want a country like outside” was a slogan I heard numerous times before the rebellion, mostly from youth that were not shy to hide their disdain and hatred for the way of our forefathers. Despite my complaints the authorities did nothing assuming it was just a passing trend. “

Roshan Dabestani, imam of a Manist temple in Southern Clysperis, has a different view:

“I have always believed there was a feeling of complacency in Clysperi society and especially in the highest echelons in Khemnen that the darkest days are behind us: the USR has succumbed, Clysperis has been freed, Stalin is now in hell and that things inevitably will go on right path. The authorities were blind to threats can come from the inside and failed to see that society is constantly changing, it never stays the same. If you are not aware of this and not working to promote your values then you cannot be surprised when your people begin to have the values of those that do seek out others, do the work and promote their values. I have spent more than a year in Djerb for my studies, people there were aware out this and were always talking about the everyday struggle and how to combat foreign influence. “

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
The aftermath of the war (Part IV)
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 02:02:46 PM »
The aftermath of the war (Part IV)

The most of press focused almost exclusively on the war. They followed closely as each town or city changed hands how each battle went but once Heshiken, the capital of the rebels, fell on 24th May 2020, the attention of the press moved elsewhere.

After the war, perhaps one of the most important changes was the announcement of that education system in Clysperis was to be reformed with a greater emphasis being put on the history of Clyspris and instilling a sense of pride in the pupils for their heritage. The teaching of foreign languages was also revamped as teaching of Latin, Rokkenjiman and Morelandish were gradually replaced in the favor or Parthian, the lingua franca of MidAranye. Djerb supported the move immediately offering to send one thousand teachers to help Clysperi schools teach Parthian.   

Vajesta Rudina, a 40 year old teacher of Parthian from rural Tamora, is one such teacher. We talked to her at length about her experiences in Clysperis and asked her what do Clysperi pupils have to gain from learning Parthian:

“Parthian opens the door to numerous opportunities. It is the language of communication between the people of MidAranye. It gives better employment opportunities and in the case of Clysperi it’s also an opportunity for a job in Tamora. But I would argue that these material benefits are less important than the cultural one which is having the key to open the great treasure that is Tamora’s cultural heritage. Clysperi students after learning Parthian have access to Tamora’s best poets and writers and a better understanding of Tamoran cinema. They can also take part in the debates that dominate Tamoran society and add their contribution to the debate. And last but not least, it gives them the opportunity of better understanding themselves, reading the works of the great Tamoran writer Manuchehri which analyzes Clysperi society in the 18th century can for example help them better understand their own culture. "

One aspect that has gained little attention in the media is the drastic increase in mixed Clysperi – Tamoran marriages. As hundreds of thousands of Clysperi fled the country during the civil war, many have found their way to Tamora. So large was the influx Clysperi to Tamora that there is now a neighborhood in Djerb nicknamed the Clysperi Quarter. With such a large number of Clysperi emigrants and refugees it no surprise that mixed marriages between Clysperi and Tamoran have passed the 20 thousand mark last year, a figure 4 times higher than the average of the previous years. One example of such a mixed marriage is that of Bazoor Vevalwala, cofounder of the VK social network, and his Clysperi wife Abisha. Abisha was kind enough to talk to us her experience in a mix marriage:

“It is both a blessing and a curse. Coming from to very different cultures is both an opportunity to learn something more about yourself and others but it also inevitably leads to clashes down the road as you have different visions about what a marriage is, how things work and what is more important in life. I still have a hard time adjusting to Tamoran mores which I find too constricting and on the other hand Bazoor has a hard time understating the Clysperi attitudes which he finds too lax and sees them as negligent. Constant dialogue helps smooth things over, so I would say that in mixed marriage couples have to communicate more with each other.” 

The presence of such a large Clysperi community in Djerb, the cultural heart of Tamora, has also meant that Tamora gradually opened to Clysperi culture and Clsyperi theater became very popular.

Halima, one of the acclaimed Clysperi theater actresses, became a star in Djerb after receiving the privilege of being one of the few foreign actors to play at the Safavid Imperial Theater in Djerb

“The play was well received in Tamora. The audience was impressed to find out that the play was written before the Prophets Mani, Mohamed and Jesus walked on Mundus “ said Halima during our interview.

The popularity of Clysperi theater also lead to popularity of Clysperi garbs for women. One of the top trending images on the Tamoran social media platform VK has been that of Tamoran women dressing in Clysperi garbs

The rebellion ravaged the infrastructure and economy of Sothern Clysperis leaving destitute hundreds of thousand of Clysperi. In response to this Tamora launched a series of programs aimed at helping the recovery of the Clysperi economy and reconstruction of its infrastructure.

Tamoran financed programs also made it a priority to repair and preserve Clysperi cultural heritage

The Tamoran soldiers that fought and died on Clysperi soil further strengthened the bond between the Tamoran and Clysperi peoples. No better can that be seen than in the Clysperi Quarter of Djerb where Clysperi and Tamorans prayed together for Tamoran soldiers that died in the effort of liberating Clysperi lands from the rebels:   

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Credits and Special Thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 02:10:45 PM »
Credits and Special Thanks

All revenues raised by this movie will be donated in equal amounts to:

-   The Manist Association of Clysperis for continuing to preach the word of the Prophet during the dark times of the rebellion regardless of the personal cost involved.

-   To the 400 Tamoran soldiers wounded in the conflict and to the families of the 100 Tamoran soldiers that gave their lives on Clysperi soil.
-   The 4C Charity, founded by Lady Alya Safavid and Her Majesty Queen Chyrssa, that takes care of Clysperi orphans.

We give special thanks and prayers to:

- The Manist Association of Clyperis – for their support and guidance in Clysperis.
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Clysperis – for their support and the access to records and information relating to the conflict.
- To the hundreds of Clysperi that took the time to talk to us and share their stories.
- To our donors which are too many to mention them all but special mention goes to the Safavid Imperial family, the Church of Mani, the Kadyrov family, the Dabiri family and the Machal family.

And above all we thank God and His Prophet without whom, nothing will be possible.