Government > Conference Hall

Proposal for a Constitutional Amendment

(1/5) > >>

Tytor:
In light of the ongoing controversy being pursued by some members of this community in regard to appointments to the Order of the Pen, and in light of certain shortcomings I feel that the organization has, I am proposing the following amendment to the 2022 Constitution.  As I am ignorant of any officially required format, I will simply list my proposed changes and additions below in bold:

1. Under "The Chancellery", section i) shall be amended as follows: "Inducting (and removing when inactive or when otherwise advised) members of the Order of the Pen upon instruction of the Order."

2. Under "Order of the Pen", the current paragraph shall be amended as follows: "- this is a non authority role, it is available to all players and is granted for contribution to Roleplay, Gameplay, and/or regional government.  It is formally awarded and revoked by the Grand Chancellor on the instruction of existing members of this order."

3. Under "Order of the Pen", the following paragraphs shall be added after the present one (as amended):

"- Instruction by the Order of the Pen shall be considered legitimate if (a) a proposal for induction of new members or revocation of existing titles is presented to the general membership of the Order of the Pen, (b) at least seven (7) days elapse for debate thereof by the general membership of the Order of the Pen, (c) at least two (2) days elapse for vote by the general membership of the Order of the Pen and a majority of voters approve the instruction, and (d) formal notice of the vote is delivered in writing by a chosen representative of the Order of the Pen to the office of the Grand Chancellor.

"- The Order of the Pen shall have leave to govern its own internal affairs, aside from the aforementioned process for inductions or expulsions, including leadership, oaths of office, and any other procedures or regulations the Order of the Pen shall determine is necessary.

"- All individuals who hold titles of nobility at the time that this article comes into effect shall be inducted automatically into the Order of the Pen, without further action being necessary either on their part or on the part of the Grand Chancellor.  In the event that the Order of the Pen finds itself without active membership, as determined by the Grand Chancellor and confirmed by the Lord Chief Justice, the Grand Chancellor shall be empowered to make any inductions as they consider necessary, without being required to follow the process herein indicated for instruction by the Order of the Pen.  This article shall be considered to apply retroactively to any inductions performed by the Grand Chancellor between the approval of the constitution and the adoption of this amendment."

I hope that these measures may be found acceptable and that we can stop with these attempts to tear the Independent Order apart over petty grievances.

RobertAgira:
I agree broadly that this will solve the current issue.

I would however make one change. My understanding is that the Order of the Pen was going to specifically be used as a reward for RP. It would therefore be parallel to nobility unless I've missed something. So for example if the region ever became active in Gameplay again someone could be given a title of nobility for that whereas someone who wrote consistently great RP would be in the Order of the Pen. 

Tytor:

--- Quote from: RobertAgira on April 29, 2022, 09:43:38 PM ---I agree broadly that this will solve the current issue.

I would however make one change. My understanding is that the Order of the Pen was going to specifically be used as a reward for RP. It would therefore be parallel to nobility unless I've missed something. So for example if the region ever became active in Gameplay again someone could be given a title of nobility for that whereas someone who wrote consistently great RP would be in the Order of the Pen. 

--- End quote ---
That seems to be a subject of some debate, yes.  I know Nova's of the opinion that the Order of the Pen was meant to replace the nobility, and you're not the first person to express the opinion that the two were meant to exist in parallel.  However, the nobility always had place for RP, gameplay, and government all, so it seems a little silly to merely split one of those off into its own thing.  Personally, I'm taking the position that since the nobility was never meant to be a position of power, the Order of the Pen is what it was meant to be.  Add to that the fact that there is no reference to the nobility in the new constitution (as well as the fact that the nobility masking here on the forum has been renamed), and I feel it makes better sense just to combine the two into the new organization rather than complicating things by making then separate.

--- Quote from: Nova on April 29, 2022, 09:56:13 PM ---Bis on RobertAgira's comment. Even if the last paragraph don't add anything but bureaucracy and is futile since such shall never happen. Except section i) under Chancellory, since that basically removes any authority the Order of the Pen has, meaning that basically it's the Chancellor appointing again members of the Order of the Pen, so ultimately changing nothing and removing a part of the constitutional reform.

Clarification also: won't solve the current issue in any manners. Since there were already nobles, and even with the process getting clarified well Beatrice decided alone as Chancellor.

--- End quote ---
I don't think you actually read the last paragraph, since it in no way adds bureaucracy.  All it does is fix the issue whereby the Grand Chancellor is required to seek instruction from an organization which may not have any members able to instruct them.  Also, the Chancellory's section i) is not *new*, merely *amended*, and there only to bring it into alignment with the later inclusion allowing the Order of the Pen to vote to expel existing members.

As for your evident determination not to let the issue rest, well, I'm sorry, but the constitution didn't originally include the nobility in the Order of the Pen.  You and I aren't technically members of it yet.  Now, you need to recognize that folks are trying to fix the issue you've brought to our attention.  Continuing to be combative doesn't help anything.

RobertAgira:
If we're saying the Order of the Pen is simply replacing the nobility then it seems pointless doing it. We're just getting back to the same issue we had that Altona pulled up on but giving it a fancy name. If we're looking at rewarding things other than RP, which at the moment we don't do anything other than, then perhaps we need three orders, much how the UK has MBE,OBE etc. We could have a seperaate Order for each of the three bits, Government, Gameplay, RP and then in some ways this could spur some on to try and become members of all three and in a way create more activity in the region beyond RP. Just throwing that out there.

Achkaerin:
My suggestion as far as the Order of the Pen's purpose would be to keep it purely for RP reward purposes. If we do get back to Gameplay or NS stuff then a further amendment can be made to create other such order's.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version