Roleplay > Vignettes

A Palace of Music

<< < (3/8) > >>

Achkaerin:
The Sticky Wicket

Peter Azurewind, the Emperor of Achkaerin sat at the oaken table in the Marble Palace, sat around him were his own advisors, members of the cabinet and members of the intelligence community, there was only one matter on the agenda and that was what to do in regards to the East Moreland statement over the Chapterhouse school that was located in Achkaerin as well as those located elsewhere.
"You've all seen the statement." Peter said "Now give me some options."
"What's East Moreland's source on this?" Richard Chambers, the Minister of Foreign Affairs asked
"We're not sure." Sally Barkley, the director of Achkaerinese Intelligence answered "But this is an accusation reported in the Kaitaine Pravda and only reported there and Northfort News, so it's possible it's come from Kaitaine."
"Do we believe it?" Peter asked
"We take it with a pinch of salt." Nettie Taylor, the foreign affairs advisor to the Emperor said "As Sally has said it's only been reported in the Kaitaine Pravda and Northfort News, it originated in the Pravda, and without putting too finer point on it, it is in Kaitaine's interests to paint the Truthsayers as an entity that violates the Uppsala Convention because it makes the Truthsayer's look bad, it's also in the Truthsayer's interests to make Kaitaine look bad because both sides realize that if they can garner international support they may be able to tip the balance their way."
"What about the Northfort News article?" Peter asked

"Is it genuine would be the question." Adam Sheppard, the Minister of Defence said "This is footage allegedly from celebrations in Seitch, how do East Moreland even have it? Have they got people in Kaitaine? What's the source on this? Because it's simple repetition of Nettie's point."
"We're not in a position to be certain of whether this evidence is independently verifiable or not." Kumiko Arkwright the Royal Family Chief of Staff said, Peter nodded this was why Achkaerinese contact with the Bene Gesserit had been kept covert, it allowed more room for movement when things got sticky and they couldn't get much stickier than this.
"However" Nettie said "There's no doubt about the evidence against Makin for the murder of Franchesca Owens and his links to the KGB. We might want to remind people that the actions of Kaitaine itself in regards to the state sponsored murder of citizens of other countries is in fact an act of terror."
"Legalities?" Peter asked
"Do you want the good news or the bad news?" his daughter Serenity asked
"Whichever you like." Peter said
"There is an argument under Uppsala to roundly rebutt the East Moreland contention but we dare not make it." Serenity said
"Why?" Peter said
"Because it's a heck of a loophole." Serenity said "And the last thing we want to do is advertise it exists."

"Under law is this enough to close the school?" Peter asked
"No." the minister of education David Ward said "No one can prove to an acceptable standard that any graduate of the Achkaerin chapterhouse has travelled to Kaitaine, and to be honest that's impossible to prove anyway."
"We need to be seen to do something though." Peter said
"Have they replaced Shona Devont yet?" Peter's wife Renee asked
"No." David said
"Emergency Educational Measures Act." Renee said "Imposition of an administrator."
"Explanation please." Peter asked
"Sometimes when a school loses a head it takes a while to replace them." Peter's friend and defence advisor Celine Tyler said, she was a former teacher so she knew the point that was being made "Sometimes if there's a lack of leadership the Department of Education can impose an interim headteacher. We'd have to handle it right but that would be us being seen to do something."
"So investigate the school?" Peter asked
"Yes." Richard said "It's the minimum we have to do."
"Meanwhile I'd better write a response." Peter said
"But let's run everything carefully." Serenity said "East Moreland aren't at threshold yet. But they might get there."
"Suggestions if that happens?" Peter asked
"Hope that we have a stronger hand to play." Serenity said

Achkaerin:
Renee's First Meeting

It was a big day in the Palace, finally after months of bureaucracy, sorting out the relevant security clearances and all the rest of it the Emperor's wife was going to sit in on her first senior staff meeting, something Peter had been keen on happening. Unless there was an absolute emergency all of these meetings took place in the study of Peter Azurewind, who was walking towards the study with his wife Renee.
"Nervous?" Peter asked as they stopped outside the study door
"Petrified." Renee said
"We were all like that the first time." Peter said
"Really?" Renee asked
"Well I'm told so, I personally didn't get to sit in on one of these until I was Emperor, being in the Navy and all." Peter said

Peter opened the door to the study, walked in, his staff standing from where they were sitting, Peter nodded and smiled to them as he walked to his desk and sat down behind it, Renee took a seat on the end of one of the sofa's in the room.
"Good morning everyone." Peter said "I don't think I need to introduce my wife to any of you because we're all family here. She's just received her relevant clearance and she'll be sitting in on these meetings from now. So Kumiko let's have it." he was looking at his Chief of Staff Kumiko Arkwright.
"Where do you want to start Your Majesty?" Kumiko asked
"With whatever takes your fancy." Peter said
"Ok then let's take Rokkenjima as it's the big issue of the moment." Kumiko said she handed Peter a piece of paper from the Rokkenjiman Press as well as, not for the first time a copy of the relevant Imperial Decree and accompanying press release

"You know one of these days we'll have a meeting where Beatrice isn't the first item of business." Peter said as he read through the statements "the open hostility and disrespect East Moreland has shown the First Empire and the Empress directly those bonds upon which the Tripartite was founded upon no longer exist." he raised an eyebrow "Is she serious?"
"Well she's either sent or allowed Adrianna to East Moreland to patch things up." the Royal Press Secretary Hannah Cartwright said
"Hang on Rokkenjima's big play to patch up a self inflicted mess with East Moreland is to send a fourteen year old girl with zero diplomatic experience, who can't even negotiate a formal agreement?" Peter asked
"Apparently." Kumiko said
"Nettie does this make sense to you?" Peter asked, looking at the one person in the room who knew the Rokkenjiman system on an intimate level his foreign affairs advisor Nettie Taylor
"How does your daughter describe Beatrice?" Nettie said "Stubborn to the point of foolishness. Beatrice calls East Moreland out, King David roundly and robustly debunks her statements, we've been here before remember the 'great chasm'? You guys put me down quite effectively."
"So it doesn't make sense?" Peter asked
"Oh it makes sense but this is the sort of thing you expect on a school playground not in international diplomacy especially when you read between the lines." Nettie said
"I agree." Kumiko said
"Yeah." Peter said "She needs a reminder of being a monarch means."
"Can someone explain that?" Renee asked
"Beatrice has withdrawn Rokkenjima from the Tripartite, her main reason for doing so is because she thinks there's been a breakdown in relations between Rokkenjima and East Moreland, which is a falsehood, it's really because she's not on good terms with King David." Peter said "So she's equating international diplomacy to the state of a personal relationship. Which in other words says what?"

There were a few moments of silence until the communications officer Carth Vittori took a deep breath
"It says" Carth said "I am the State."
"Bingo." Peter said "And no monarch is the state they are servants of the state. Anything related?"
"Your Majesty." the national security advisor Mark Sharpe said "May I have a moment to go over the intelligence implications?"
"Go ahead Mark." Peter said
"In the news article it says Anauša would be working with LISA and allied partners in "eradicating any lingering subversive elements whose loyalties lay not with the Rokkenjima People, but the Great Traitor." now yesterday I sat in an intelligence meeting with Rion Ayanami, the MDI and other agencies and I've got to say that comment raised plenty of eyebrows." Mark said
"We already knew Ofdensen had some Anausa in his pocket, that was part of the half truth Beatrice told Serenity." Peter said
"Yes but then there's this." Mark said he handed Peter a copy of another article "We didn't think anything of it at the time but now..."
"But now it looks like something's being kept from us." Peter said, he felt like slamming his artificial arm on the table but decided against it "Let's find out the damage."
"How?" Kumiko asked
"The Pope's due in Valtheim for an evening meal tonight, have someone ask for the intelligence officials name before that, but do it informally." Peter said "As for the rest of it well I'm not overly concerned, Achkaerin has a vested interest in a stable and secure Illumic and we've always supported the Illumic nations desire to take responsibility for that. What's next?"

"The Senate is set to confirm Roslyn Williams as Royal Liaison Officer." Kumiko said "They're doing Nicolette Keates as Prefect of Aranye this afternoon we hope."
"Thank Namis for that." Peter said
"Yeah but we aren't done with confirmation season yet." Kumiko said "The Chief Justice died overnight. So we need to nominate firstly a new Justice and secondly a new Chief Justice."
"Put together a list." Peter said "We've never had to do this before so let's do it right and I want a good Justice not someone who's going to be an easy confirmation."
"Noted." Kumiko said
"Next." Peter said
"The Imperial Navy's asking about adding a third Seonaid Class to the order list." the defence advisor Celine Tyler said
"If the funding's available yes." Peter said "Next."

"Peter can we talk about the Covenant Address?" Carth asked
"What about it?" Peter asked
"We're redrafting it." Carth said
"This is about the tenth time you've done that." Peter said
"I know." Carth said "It's the biggest speech of the year though."
"It's basically me addressing the Senate and the nation and informing them of what they can expect." Peter said "What's prompted the redraft?"
"No sense of flow." Carth said "We're also waiting on news from various situations across Mundus."
"I see." Peter said "Hannah no leaks about content."
"Got it." Hannah said
"Next." Peter said

"We need to talk about the Chapterhouse situation" Carla Fenchurch, the Royal Counsel said
"Go on." Peter said
"You need to make a decision about a course of action." Carla said "Because right now it looks like we're stalling."
"Kumiko?" Peter asked
"I agree." Kumiko said
"Nettie?" Peter asked
"Yes." Nettie said "You have got to decide what we're going to do. It's time to act."
"Mark put a plan together." Peter said
"Yes Your Majesty." Mark said "Suggestions?"
"We take the accusation seriously and it must look that way." Peter said "Make it look good."
"I'll coordinate with Hannah." Mark said

"Finally." Peter said "Whose presenting the Cup tomorrow?"
"Amelia." Kumiko said "Given that everyone else is busy."

Achkaerin:
Game On

It was arguably the biggest night of the year, the night of the Covenant Address, a tradition that went back three hundred years to the time of Empress Djana Azurewind, she who had established the Senate and by association had changed the style of government in Achkaerin, the nobles power had been curbed, the definition of being the ruler or a noble had been redefined in one stroke she had called the Senate 'a Covenant between the Crown and the people.' the Covenant Address was essentially an opportunity for the Emperor to talk about whatever he wanted in front of the entire Senate and key members of the nobility, and the party that went down at the Marble Palace afterwards didn't hurt either. It was a night that a lot of preparation went into and no one felt it more than Carth Vittori as he was the man responsible for carving and varnishing the speech, which only happened after hours of being locked in a room with several other people. Though presently Carth was up at Liberty Hall, the home of the Senate, the real action however was getting underway at the Marble Palace.

At the Palace the Emperor Peter Azurewind was buttoning up his shirt with his left hand, it was a constantly interesting experience for him as this was one of a few tasks that his artificial right hand lost out at. The white shirt went well with his dark trousers, not that the combination was in anyway surprising aesthetically.
"You ready yet?" it was the voice of his daughter in law Lydia Daniels, she was married to his son, though Lydia being from a broken home and parents who didn't care was more like another daughter to Peter.
"Almost." Peter said "Care to lend a hand?"
"Only because if you try it yourself we'll be late." Lydia said "It was the black one right?"
"Yes." Peter said, Lydia picked up the tie from Peter's desk and began to tie it on "One of these days I'll get the hang of this."
"You had the hang of it." Lydia said "You just need to learn your left as well as your right."
"Have you read the speech?" Peter asked
"I may have seen an advance copy of it." Lydia said
"What did you think?" Peter asked
"I think it's going to shake the foundations." Lydia said she finished doing Peter's tie and fixed him with a serious look "Game on."

Peter picked up his jacket and left the room with Lydia behind him, the Emperor pulled his jacket on as he went waiting for him at the entrance to the Palace was his wife Renee, his aide Alexandria and the press secretary Hannah Cartwright along with the head of the Royal Household Kurt Ayanami. Peter looked around the group
"Let's go." Peter said, taking the black overcoat that Kurt was holding for him and putting it on while Alex did the same for Renee.

The trip to Liberty Hall was only a ten minute one in the car, though as this was the Emperor's motorcade it was made a lot quicker than it otherwise would have been. For once it wasn't raining on this night, Peter stepped from the car when it arrived and with his entourage made his way into Liberty Hall, up the steps and into the foyer outside the Senate Chamber there waiting for him was Carth, his Chief of Staff Kumiko Arkwright and the newest addition to the staff the Royal Liaison Officer, the bridge between the Crown and the Senate Roslyn Williams.
"Your speech Your Majesty." Carth said handing a black folder to Peter
"Thank you Carth." Peter said as most of the rest of the group made their way inside the Chamber to their seats.
"Bring it Peter." Kumiko said "Sixteenth address that's your lucky number." Peter half smiled, Kumiko knew him probably better than anyone else. Peter nodded and handed Kurt his coat, then he fixed Roslyn in his sights.
"Roslyn tell the Speaker I'd like to see him." Peter said, Roslyn nodded and opened the door to the chamber
"Mr Speaker his Imperial Majesty Emperor Peter Azurewind." Roslyn said, Peter sucked in a breath and walked into the chamber.

"What do you think?" Kurt asked as he and Kumiko watched Peter enter
"Depends who turns up." Kumiko said "It'll be a sight to see if the Peter Azurewind I know turns up."
"Think he will?" Kurt asked
"Well in the last week we've been having the same debates we had back at University." Kumiko said "And he's had that killer look in his eye."
"Game on then." Kurt said
"Oh yeah." Kumiko said

Achkaerin:
Visiting Hours

The hospital ward was a quiet place, well at least they tended to be. Serenity lay on the bed in recovery from what she'd been through and it wasn't pretty either. She blinked her eyes open from a few hours of sleep and immediately felt something on her abdomen she glanced down and smiled it was her eldest daughter Lisa lying there, she glanced to her left and saw her husband Isaac sat in a chair with their daughter Astrid lying on his lap.

"Hey." Isaac said when he saw Serenity looking at him
"Anyone get the number of whatever hit me?" Serenity asked
"You were caught in an explosion." Isaac said
"How bad?" Serenity asked

Before Isaac could break the really bad news Lisa stirred
"Mum!" Lisa said, this also woke Astrid and soon both girls were on the bed hugging their mother.
"I'm ok girls." Serenity said, she was putting a brave face on it and Isaac knew it Serenity wasn't even remotely fine, he stood up and sat on the bed holding Serenity's hand, it had been a hard year for the pair but that was the price they paid and they'd known it since the day that Isaac had taken the then Supreme Sovereignty crown (albeit for about two minutes) suffice to say they hadn't had a lot of time together since.

"There are safer ways to get a ride on the Ekrabadger." someone said from the other end of the bed, Serenity looked and saw her father the Emperor Peter standing there, Peter looked at Isaac "Can we have the room...cubicle?"
"Yeah." Isaac said "Come on girls" he led Astrid and Lisa out of the cubicle leaving just Peter and Serenity.

"How bad is it?" Serenity asked
"Bad." Peter said
"Tell me." Serenity said
"The blast" Peter said taking a seat on the bed as he spoke "It damaged your left foot." Serenity's eyes widened
"No..." she said "Not..."
"I'm sorry but they had to." Peter said "It wasn't salvagable." he pulled Serenity into a hug, she was angry but she definitely needed it.

"So what happens now?" Serenity asked
"You heal." Peter said "You rest you recover, once the doctors say you can get out of here you're going to spend some time in Highwick no arguments, Maddy will get you fitted with what you need and you're going on leave from the navy."
"Ok." Serenity said
"And when you're feeling up to it there's a phone call you need to return." Peter said
"From?" Serenity asked, Peter handed her a piece of paper "I see."
"Get some rest." Peter said

Peter wandered back into the corridor and thought about punching the wall as his wife Renee joined him
"How is she?" Renee asked
"Not as good as she's trying to make us believe." Peter said "She's really down in the dumps."
"She's come back from worse though right?" Renee asked
"Has she?" Peter said "She's never been hurt this badly not even three days with Kyle Barren did anything like this."
"She'll get through it." Renee said "It may take her while but she'll get there."
"And if she gets too depressed we'll call Georgia." Peter said

Achkaerin:
All Journey's Begin With A Single Step

Zoe Croft the nurse assigned to the medical team that was responsible for the Achkaerinese Royals was having a moment of deja vu, about two and a half years earlier she'd been stood in this same spot at Highwick Manor getting the Emperor back walking after the terrorist attack on the Royal Hunt, and that had been more trickery and getting Peter angry than anything else. Now here she was only this time it wasn't Peter it was Serenity, the Crown Princess, discharged only a couple of days earlier from hospital, was sat on the edge of a sofa while the Royal Physician Maddy Dale finished fitting Serenity's prosthetic leg.

"That feels really weird." Serenity said
"It will for a while." Maddy said "Just ask your Dad about how he felt when I fitted his arm for the first time but eventually this will be the norm."
"Ok." Serenity said
"How is it?" Zoe asked
"All ship shape." Maddy said, she stood up and backed away "Let's see how you do."
"It's just one foot in front of the other." Zoe said "Just don't much too much weight on your left at first we've got to get you comfortable on it."

Serenity nodded and taking both of Zoe's hands allowed herself to be pulled, gently, to her feet deliberately putting the majority of her weight on her organic leg
"Deep breaths right?" Serenity asked
"Yes. Now lets see how you do." Zoe said "Best foot forward." Serenity took a step and almost instantly fell forwards causing Zoe and Maddy to catch her
"Easy we got you." Maddy said
"Let's try it again." Zoe said

Three hours later they hadn't made progress, Zoe and Maddy knew what the problem was Serenity was still acting as if she had both her original legs and that wasn't the reality anymore. Changing nature was a difficult thing.
"Now nice and slow." Zoe said "Plant the left foot."
"Ok." Serenity said, she planted the foot as best she could but obviously not being able to feel the sole of the foot anymore meant she was having to rely on other things to tell her when it was down.
"Ok now let's take the step with the right foot." Zoe said, taking a step back as Serenity brought her right leg forwards this was where things had been going wrong when the weight was on the artificial leg. But now rather than Maddy and Zoe having to rush in and stop a fall Serenity got her right foot down "Now the left." Serenity managed it again.

"That's a win." Maddy said "Nice work Zoe."
"Next we'll try without me holding your hands." Zoe said "But you've got the motion now."
"Then what?" Serenity asked
"Once you're walking we'll see about running." Zoe said "I've got a few friends who might be able to help with that."
"Oh and Vicky's complaining about having to fit new kit into your cars." Maddy said
"I'm sure she is." Serenity said
"Let's keep going." Zoe said

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version