XVII. The Return of the Grand King (II)
XVIII. The Celestial Defeat

Characters

* Grand King Wonhyo, the 33th Grand King of Asadal
* Queen Hong, the Grand King's wife
* Grand Queen Dowager Jungjin Um
* Queen Dowager Shin
* Gyuri, Queen Dowager Shin's younger sister
* Chief State Minister, the head of the government (also Grand Queen Dowager Jungjin Um's younger brother
* Deputy Chief Minister Oh, Minister of Justice and State Security
* Third Minister Hongju, Minister of the Armed Forces
* Royal Secretary Hongju
* Prince Yun, head of the Grand Royal Guard
* Lady Officer Ko, the First Palace Lady, at the service of the Queen herself
* Lady Officer Cha, one of the Leading Palace Ladies
* Lady Officer Myung, a young palace lady
* Doctor Soon, the Palace head doctor
* Lady Kwon, former personal assistant of Queen Dowager Shin
* Commander Lee, head officer of the Grand Royal Guard
* Lady Officer Song, another palace lady
* Chief General Kim, head of the Central Ground Army

paralipomena:

Heavenly Palace, Hwangjin
A small crowd gathers in the Cheongjeong Courtyard, in the Cheongung Palace, to celebrate the wedding between Prince Yun, the head of the Grand Royal Guard, and Noble Lady Kim.

Prince Yun and his soon-to-be wife are placed in the middle of the courtyard.

Grand King observes the ceremony, with Queen Hong a few metres on this left and Lady Officer Ko next to her.

The Chief State Minister, Grand Queen Dowager Jungjin Um, and the Royal Secretary are standing on the right side of the first row.

Queen Dowager Shin and her sister Gyuri are standing at the opposite side of the first row.

The bride relatives are standing in the second row. Between other minor staff of the palace, the young Lady Officer Myung and the experienced Lady Officer are standing in the background.

Lady Officer Myung: My third day at the Inner Court and we are here already witnessing a wedding! It is so beautiful! The bride looks so graceful.

Lady Officer Cha: Do not think that this happens very often, young lady.

Lady Officer Myung: Well, we did not live such a thing in my six years at the laundry department.

Lady Officer Cha: One can imagine, indeed.

Grand Queen Dowager Jungjin Um: I still can't get that the Yangcheon Kim would be behind this move. They are really desperate to come back.

Chief State Minister: In either case, it is going to give us some time.

Lady Officer Myung: Oh? It seems they are bringing some gifs to the groom.

Lady Officer Cha: No, you're not paying attention. It is the time where the groom prepares the tea with the sun and the moon ingredients.

Gyuri: The Prince may not be as tough as he may seem at first glance. He looks rather nervous and serious.

Queen Dowager Shin: It is rather cute, sister. And they smile sometimes, as they were promising each other to live a love fairy tale.

Queen Hong: They are ready to accept the chains of marriage with a smile.

Lady Officer Ko: You may be right, Your Highness.

Grand Queen Dowager Jungjin Um: Have you anything in mind?

Chief State Minister: No, not really. But we may receive unexpected news quite soon, much sooner than expected it seems.

Lady Officer Myung: While we are too far to really see it, I rather feel that her eyes are rather shiny, overflowing love and hope.

Lady Officer Cha: You're still a dreamer, girl. But who knows? They still make a lovely couple.

Queen Hong: Boredom is likely to be already appearing at the deepest of those eyes if one could observe close enough.

Lady Officer Ko: I am glad you're feeling more active today, Your Highness.

Grand Queen Dowager Jungjin Um: Is that really so? Are you hidding me anything?

Chief State Minister: Still soon to say. But it looks like fate has decided to remain in this palace, at least a bit more. Maybe we will have chance to play a last card.

Queen Hong: I will tell you tomorrow. By the way, is it true that the new doctor is arriving?

Lady Officer Ko: Yes, Your Highness. I heard that she will arrive tomorrow.

paralipomena:
Grand King Wonhyo receives the weekly ordinary royal audience in the Throne Hall of the Cheongung Palace. He heads the meeting, with his wife Queen Hong at his left, in which all members of the Privy Council are gathered.

Grand King Wonhyo: Was that all?

Chief State Minister Jungjin Um: No, Your Grand Majesty.

Deputy Chief Minister Oh: The final point of today agenda is a petition endorsed by Governor Jin in consideration of the final veredict of the Sixth Court against subject Pyeon from Gungju.

Grand King Wonhyo: That name rings a bell. What's the issue exactly?

Chief State Minister Jungjin Um: Your Grand Majesty, subject Pyeon served previously under the Ministry of Taxation and Finance before you arrived to our capital. He was recently sentenced to ten years to prison, confiscation of his personal properties, a 40-year suspension to serve in any form of state employment, extended for a 10-year for his direct relatives, in accordance to the Code of National Crimes, for his role in funding illegal activity against the Crown.

Deputy Chief Minister Oh: That's right, Your Grand Majesty. Despite the seriousness of the crimes and the fairness of the verdict, Governor Jin endorsed a petition of partial pardon given the past contribution to the state by the subject and his mere auxiliary role in the mentioned illegal activities.

Grand King Wonhyo: Ah, yes, I can remember that the Royal Secretary mentioned it a few weeks ago. I read the dossier but I did not remember the details.

Royal Secretary Hongju: That's right, Your Grand Majesty.

Grand King Wonhyo: I found it both childish and distasteful. I don't feel this is a issue worthy of expanding this session. What's your view?

Chief State Minister Jungjin Um: I personally met the subject some years ago. I was as displeased as surprised when this issue came to my ears for first time some months ago. The mind of a person is, of course, always difficult to judge. It is not easy what motivated a person to act the way they did. The acts in question, they are certain as vile as banal, and they deserve our censure, as the courts decided. The Governor's endorsement, however, is not without merit. The law is fair but cold, and sometimes it is not judged correctly. After all, what moves most of the people is not rationality but mood and feeling. Sometimes, small act of clemency, even if limited, may help the people to understand easily the common sense and good sense behind the actions and policy of the state. Particularly, as we are preparing to enter in special celebrations regarding the anniversary of your coronation, Your Grand Majesty.

Queen Hong: Your good heart surprises me, Chief State Minister. Is that your final argument regarding this case?

Deputy Chief Minister Oh: If you allow me to intervene, Your Excellency...No, Your Highness. It is also worthy to mention that the Podo Festival is coming soon, and that it has been a tradition, for more than a century, that an act of clemency is granted by the Grand King on the eve of this important festival. For that reason, several cases were sent to our office to such occasion. Unfortunately, we could not conclude an unanimous agreement this year. But it seemed to the majority that such case, while unpleasant and ungrateful, could be the best option. One could say that it is better to show clemency to an idiotic criminal than to a dangerous one.

Third Minister Hongju: That's an interesting view, Your Excellency.

Queen Hong: This conversation is rather too abstract when one ignores all the details. Hasn't anyone a copy of such dossier here?

Deputy Chief Minister Oh: Naturally, Your Highness...

Queen Hong: That's right. How many pages has it?

Deputy Chief Minister Oh: It has...well...fifty-six pages, Your Highness.

Queen Hong: That would be too bad, isn't it? Certainly the last thing we need. But I'm still curious, to be honest. Couldn't you open it, let's say, on page thirty-eight?

Deputy Chief Minister Oh: Alright, Your Highness. Oh...let's me see...

Queen Hong: Why don't just start with the beginning? Like the first complete sentences.

Deputy Chief Minister Oh: Sure, Your Highness...It is just the middle of the indictment, it seems. Or rather, just quoting some of the evidences that the court...

Queen Hong: Just read it.

Deputy Chief Minister Oh: Yes, Your Highness...Here it goes: "Such it is the unpleasant situation our nation was forced by the frictions of these honourable families. One could not blame our monarch, or not completely, as he would still be required to give remedy to the illness our country is facing. If that is possible, only time will be able to say. Maybe in the current situation, we can only lament ourselves to the place our nation has been placed by some of those factions, willing to accept a minor but comfortable role in this decayed land, even if temporarily, only motivated for their lust to retain and enjoy their power, even if that meant handing over the power to a corrupted person, who inherited all the vices and none of the virtues of her father, the Grand Marshal..."

Queen Hong: Interesting. Continue.

Deputy Chief Minister Oh: "...First there was political decay, followed by economic, social, and legal decay. It was inevitable that moral decay will be followed next. And so it came. Now, the fate of our nation, of our children, was given to an incestuous viper whose own resentment and hate, a likely combined lust toward power and wealth, as well as her aims to vengeance and control our nation as it was her own kindergarten, in a move to use the mistakes and weakness of those who preceded her to build a network of..."

Queen Hong (laughing awkwardly): That's enough! Oh, the Sun and the Moon! What kind of cheap novel is that? Maybe we should feel sorry about our judges if this is the kind of literature they are forced to read and judge. Don't you find this amusing.

Chief State Minister Jungjin Um: No, Your Highness.

Grand King Wohnyo: That was certainly disgusting. Let's stop this.

Queen Hong: I can not disagree. However, I must say it still amazes me that someone with the moral rectitude of Governor Jin was able to navigate, with his compromise toward justice, through that sea of fantasy and slander while balancing his sense of fairness and his knowledge of the well-being of the state. Such compromise is not easy to achieve without corrupting your own heart. In most cases, I mean.

Chief State Minister Jungjin Um: I have no doubts that the latter was not the case, Your Highness. The Governor has served this country greatly and gracefully for more than twenty years after all.

Queen Hong: Indeed. It is also a pity that he has not been able to pay us a visit for quite a long time, isn't it? Besides official duties, of course, one can imagine he had many issues to attend. I heard that his third son finally married to a certain lady. A young woman who must have a brother-in-law, whose father must have a brother.

Chief State Minister Jungjin Um: That's...a possibility, Your Highness.

Queen Hong: Wouldn't it be a great coincidence if that young spouse was the second cousin who was married to someone in this palace, after all?

Deputy Chief Minister Oh: That...could be in that would be the case, certainly, Your Highness...

Queen Hong: Indeed. Anyway, these cases are always complicated and I am grateful I was not fated to be a judge or governor who needs to ponder on these issues from all the required perspectives.

Grand King Wonhyo: This issue was extended for too long. Let's close it immediately.

Queen Hong: Alright. But don't you agree that it may be not always right to force the children to pay for the weight of the crimes of their parents, my Grand King?

Grand King Wonhyo (visibly annoyed): That could be certainly be the case, generally.

Queen Hong: If that's the case, why not just suspend the verdict regarding the suspension of the rights of the sons and a limited economic punishment so they retain the ability to sustain their livelihood? We wouldn't be seen as petty anyway.

Grand King Wonhyo: Alright, let's do that. We had enough.

Chief State Minister Jungjin Um: Yes, Your Grand Majesty. We will prepare the document for your signature tomorrow.

Grand King Wonhyo: The session has finished then.

paralipomena:
Queen Hong receives Third Minister Hongju in one of the main rooms of the Queen residing quarters in the Inner Palace. Doctor Soon awaits in one of the corridors.

Third Minister Hongju: This time they did not get their way.

Queen Hong: No, they should not have even a chance to do so. What were you doing?

Third Minister Hongju: That is, of course, right. But it was not simply possible to block the process.

Queen Hong: Cousin, I sometimes feel you're completely useless. Do not even think that further efforts are not necessary. Now, leave me alone. I have issues to attend.

Third Minister Hongju: I know, of course. Excuse me, I need to talk with the Royal Secretary too.

Third Minister Hongju leaves. Doctor Soon is announced.

Doctor Soon: I pleasure to see you a second time, Your Highness.

Queen Hong: While your youth does not help, I am satisfied with your credentials and I am rather pleased that I will have a female hand now.

Doctor Soon: I'll do my best to satisfy your confidence, Your Highness.

Queen Hong: Are you already accustomed to the atmosphere?

Doctor Soon: That is difficult to say, Your Highness. I am not exactly from the plains on one hand. This is indeed a very different place. But I am certain that there won't be nothing to complain.

Queen Hong: Let's go direclty to business. What's an opinion?

Doctor Soon: I'd need some additional tests before giving my final opinion, Your Highness. I agree that some rest is required for now. In the meanwhile, replace with medication with the one you had been taking before. I will help to alleviate the pain. When we have the results, I will be able to have a clearer answer.

Queen Hong: Alright, I will wait. It just comes at an unfortunate time.

Doctor Soon: I can understand, Your Highness. My advice, however, is that any new attempt should be discouraged in the current circumstances, probably forever, I am afraid. When we have the results, I will give my final word.

Queen Hong: I assumed you would say that. As you may understand, it is something that goes way beyond the personal.

Doctor Soon: I can imagine, Your Highness. But that's my medical opinion. In your current health situation, the chances would be even smaller, and it is likely to worse your condition.

Queen Hong: Alright, alright. I need to rest.

Doctor Soon: Of course, Your Highness. If you have any issues, contact me immediately and I will be back. Hoping for a good recovery until my next visit.

paralipomena:

Queen Dowager Shin meets Lady Kwon in one of the courtyards of the Outer Palace.

Lady Kwon: I'm glad to see you a last time, Your Highness.

Queen Dowager Shin: I'm not going to be buried. Not yet, at least.

Lady Kwon: Surely...Excuse me, Your Highness.

Queen Dowager Shin: Don't worry. It is sad to see you leaving us. But I was in a good mood today. By the way, I love your dress. It looks gorgeous.

Lady Kwon: Thanks, Your Highness. It was a small whim.

Queen Dowager Shin: A lovely Seoyuhaeng style. The etiquette here sometimes kills me.

Lady Kwon: I understand. I hope I was helpful during my stay.

Queen Dowager Shin: You were helpful enough, do not worry. Where are you finally going?

Lady Kwon: I will be teaching at the Bukbu Royal College, Your Highness. I was offered a position in the Literature Department.

Queen Dowager Shin: Ah yes, I remember now. You do the right thing to find your own way.

Lady Kwon: I'll do my best, Your Highness.  I can only be grateful of everything I have learned here. And without access to the library and the archives, it would have been much more difficult.

Queen Dowager Shin: I'm glad it was a positive experience for both. This experience has also allowed me to  put to rest a part of my own past, even if I will continue to live and be determine by it, of course.

Lady Kwon: I know, Your Highness.

Queen Dowager Shin: I'm glad for you, indeed, but I can only envy you. Some days I feel this is nothing but a golden cage, in which the walls and bars are formed with dreadful and absurd customs and traditions.

Lady Kwon: I understand the sentiment. But there should be some compensations as well, Your Highness.

Queen Dowager Shin: There are, indeed. But very often I feel they are not worthy! You see, it is like the caste system was not fully abolished. It is just the all other castes were abolished, while behind these walls those traditions keep us as prisoners.

Lady Kwon: Certainly, that's an original way to put it, Your Highness.

Queen Dowager Shin: Yes, sometimes I'd just love to escape and leave this place. If my late husband was still alive, I would still have some additional entertainments. But all ended so fast. Meanwhile, the heads of the main families and their sons and daughters live freely in their luxury, while we continue with this charade for the sake of the state...Anyway, let me be a good host and offer you a tea before you leave.

Lady Kwon: That would be a pleasure, Your Highness.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version