Author Topic: History and Culture of the Horn of Ardia OOC [working title]  (Read 5044 times)

Offline Gadshack

• Banned
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Ahkabnil
History and Culture of the Horn of Ardia OOC [working title]
« on: September 20, 2017, 06:47:02 PM »
The idea of this RP series is collaborative history building, but in a fluid way where we play out our history in a loose, non-predetermined fashion outside of a few outlines. These outlines include:

- Rise and fall of the Quywe Empire from the 14th to early 20th century, i figured 'Empire of Quywe' can be more of a defining period on the Horn rather than a consistently governing entity, something like what the Iron Throne from GoT, loose enough for us to have some fun and drama within these eras.

- Before the Empire of Quywe period, if we had any significant interactions before the 14th century.

- Ancient history, BC type stuff, i can personally name Ahkabnilian civilization going back that far though i don't know how significant it would be.

- After the fall of the empire through the 20th century, chaos yay.

I suggest we begin at just before the rise of the Empire of Quywe and work on through there since it seems to be common era. Thoughts?

We can also get a posting order going, since this is sort of a history-book/story-book type deal, and since it will revolve around the Quywe Empire we can probably control it cooperatively outside of Vesi and a few guest writers if we want to include other nations not from the Horn.

Offline yasha

• Basically New Zealand
  • probably irrelevant
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Neo Quywe Federation
Re: History and Culture of the Horn of Ardia OOC [working title]
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 06:53:22 PM »
Considering at least half of us wouldn't be native to the horn, I think it'd be important to include that in our first few posts, my theory about Himeyans is that they arrived in northern Ardia before 1000 CE, not sure if Choco is working with a similar idea, but it'd be nice to explain how Asian people ended up there along with what the natives were doing about it.
something funny or offensive here

Offline Chocomoto

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 11:59:43 PM »
I don't think the nativity would be too much of an issue. I think you arriving there around 1000 CE would be grounds for me to say that's about when the native Joseon people arrived. It actually works great that Quywe came about around the 14th century because that's about when the Vesian's began feudal society in earnest aside from the scattered pockets of tribal leadership and loose sense of identity among different pockets of Joseon tribes.

BC would mostly be fluff, maybe an explanation as to how these asiatics came in the first place? I can only imagine a natural migration following overpopulation in wherever we want to deem the 'home' of Asiatic cultures is. Once they started migrating as part of a natural process, many chose to simply not stop for generations until they reached the horn 'signifying' the end of their journey.

Working just before would actually be great not going to lie. It'd allow, at least personally, the lot of us to create a general atmosphere and political set up prior to their explosion to power. After all we need some sort of prerogative for Quywe to become the regional power house it was. Especially given the cultural diversity, I think it'd be best to map out right before the rise.

guest17

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 06:43:21 PM »
The way I imagine things might play out, Ahkbanil would be the first indigenous civilization that was highly developed and influential through out the horn prior to the arrival of the Asiatics. In terms of Cojo, prior to the establishment and expansion of the Quywe empire what is currently Cojotan would be inhabited by various peoples divided into small tribal societies and nomadic societies.  Each of these peoples would occasionally engage in political and military interaction with each-other depending on the reason and need for such interaction.

Following influential reach, some societies closer to Ahkbanil would be more advanced due to interaction with them. This could lead to small and less advanced, but still somewhat developed polities seeping into the west via Ahkbanil influence and interaction.  In contrast the various peoples in the east would be more nomadic and less advanced.  From this I could imagine that the Ahkbanil civilization would view the Cojos as Barbarians and generally uncivilized, much to the similar way the Aztecs (and latter Spanish) viewed the Chichimecas and other Nomadic peoples. Alternatively and perhaps in the way of the Quywe Empire, how the Romans viewed northern Europeans and other non-Mediterranean societies.   

Ultimately it would be the expansion of the Quywe empire and its ability to pit rival tribes and polities against each-other that would lead to the rise of Clans or noble families recognized by the Empire (for there loyalty, based on what tribes and polities fought with them) and latter establish a more advanced society. This would lead to Cojo, latter becoming more loyal province of the Empire at large and perhaps the last to hold on to the Quywe dream before its ultimate collapse.

On the topic of the collapse, what may be able to happen is that with the various uprisings the indpence conflicts could shift from each province (depending on the siutation) to the point where the war would lead into Cojo borders. This would allow for the cahos of the aftermath collapse to create a Cojo Warlord era and ultimately the current authoritarian political situation  I have planned for contemporary Cojotan.

*Edit: I forgot to mention that the inevitable arrival of Himeyans would lead to tensions between the native Cojo and the new settlers. This could lead to an interesting story between Himeyama and Cojotan warfare in the east.

Offline yasha

• Basically New Zealand
  • probably irrelevant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 12:37:11 AM »
Early conflicts between Hime settlers and Cojo natives could def make for an interesting subplot. That being said, while Gad is MIA, I still think we ought to get this (and that horn defence coalition) going pretty soon. Best we at least get this going somewhere because while Ahkabnil, Vesi, Cojotan and Himeyama are all radically different and unique nations, having an IC way to build cultural similarities ubiquitous to former Quywe nations should be a focus as well, after all, we've all spent a good thousand years as neighbours, plenty enough time for each and every one of us to have adapted and evolved in each other's presence.

guest17

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 06:01:59 PM »
So the idea of Neo-Quyweism came up in a discord chat not long ago. The idea being that if Cojotan succeded the Empire and inherited it's legacy, it would embark on a neo-Quywe agenda throughout Reginal-Horn politics. This would require Cojotan to be a little stronger however, as opposed to its current third-world status as originally thought. Nothing like a regional super-power though just strong enough to compete albiet weak enough to just barley lag behind.

Historically the idea discussed with Gad; During the Quywe expansion across greater (modern borders) Cojotan, seeing it wiser to subdue and tolerate rather than fully convert and conquer the native populace the Imperial family would support a regional City-State and prop-up a client-state marrying of a third or fourth doughter into Cojo nobility. This would lay the seeds for a more loyal Cojotan and cement the Cojo Monarchy with the Quywe Imperial family.

Skip ahead to the collapse, with the eventual defeat of loyal Imperial forces in Ahkbanil Himeyama and parts of Cojotan (maybe Vesi, depending on how prominent Quywe precence was there) the Imperial family would ultimatley meet their end. However due to familial ties between Cojo and Quywe nobility the legacy would continue on through Cojotan.

In modern terms this would effect how interactions between Horn states play out. Starting with Himeyama's nationalist war, Cojotan could support various factions in an attempt to increase it's influence, ultimatley this would fail of course. In Ahkabnil (maybe) various Cojo leaders could try and form a Hornic confederation and discreatly involve itself in inner Ahkabnilese politics. Until that is Ahkabnil wises up.

Ultimatley screwing with other nations ends bad on Cojo, leading to an inner-political crisis causing what would have remainand an Autocrat system to a semi-executive one. I was planning to make Cojo a syndicalist-monarchy, playing on an idea that Quywe thought introduced concepts of Groups vs. Individuals, thus it's more Confederated  system and organization of people's in to specific regions. Economically and Socially this would cause Guildism to be prevalent (at least in Cojotan) which later translates into Corpotavism, or Syndicalism.

In the current era Cojotani attempts to screw with its neighbors would calm down tremendously. instead supporting regional cooperation. This would arise from inner-turmoil and various resistance groups. Finally cooperation may come about from a more nessecary point of view rather than willingly, this can be due to Cojos larger italiano If agriculture which would support the less agricultural Ahk and Hime, however Ahk and Hime being more advanced causing Coj to be reliant on them for more advanced products and services.

Political tensions being a  Monarchy (related to the Quywe dynasties) contrasted to Hime and Ahk Republics, Cojo Unitary vs confederalism, and finally Cojos More Authoritarian traditionalist stance vs Hime more Libertarian and progressive stance (not sure how that would play out with Ahk) .

Tis an idea and probably could use some work, but if I can manage it right it could create an interesting scene for the Horn. What do you think, or recommend?

Offline Gadshack

• Banned
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Ahkabnil
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 09:28:10 PM »
A potentially very interesting scene on the Horn. It all sounds good to me if everyone else is okay with it. I am curious on how it would play into ahkabnil's theocracy though. I'm thinking of making it more authoritarian, though not oppressively so while keeping it's confederation base.

Historically, the population of Ahkabnil grew more spiritual and enamored by religious leaders and increasingly discontent with the seemingly irreligious and dogmatic imperial rulers, especially with the onset of war and economic pitfall. Perhaps, the religion that takes precedence in Cojotan today, is an evolution of a different set of beliefs held by the heiarchs of the Quywe Empire, a noble religion, while Ahkabnil's offshoot derives from beliefs evolved from an ostersized majority peasant population. Religious leaders that were once peasants rose to become the new religious oligarchy. Essentially, Cojo = High Belief, Ahk = Lower. Not the same(for our personal flexibility sake) but once co-existing. Since I assume most Quywe imperials derived from Cojotan later on, it could make sense that they adapted their beliefs as higher ones. Thoughts on this?

Offline yasha

• Basically New Zealand
  • probably irrelevant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 10:31:21 PM »
Cojotan being the spiritual successor to the Quywe Empire in the same way Turkey was to the Ottomans is something I can surely get behind, and I wouldn't consider Cojo meddling indirectly with Hime and Ahk politics to be an utter failure either, as they managed to pull the horn back together once the dust settled in hime. Perhaps it was supposed to be for their own gain, but I would think the modern geopolitical stability in the horn can be attributed to Cojo.

That being said, on the topic of religion; Shishin as a religion never had any influence in politics, which would perhaps explain why it slowly faded away over the course of the Quywe empire's reign. Still, I left the modern himeyan population as largely agnostic as to leave it open.

*cultural assimilation intensifies*