Roleplay > Diplomacy and Events

The Dragons Horseman

(1/4) > >>

Jargalant (FKA Eskdale):

To: The Dragon-Emperor of Lijiang.

Over 1000 years ago our ancestors negotiated an arrangement to prevent them going to war. With a few exceptions over that time the arrangement has held peace between our nations. Even during your nations period of mourning we abided by our ancestorial pledges. There was a time when the Khan of Jargalant and the Dragon-Emperor would meet at Naran Sebusitai Fort every two years. Since both of us have gained our crowns this has not happened and I believe that now is the time to both travel to the fort that was built to symbolically mark the agreement. We both must respect and honour the past and I can think of no better way to do that than reviving this important tradition.

With Respect

Khan Mönkhsaikhan II

Lijiang:
There had once been a tradition of the Khan and the Dragon-Emperor, or at least their representative meeting up at the Narun Sebusitai Fort every two years. For close to a century now the meeting had not featured both nations leaders. That though hadn't halted the other tradition. The fort was one building but the road between the Eastern and Western gatehouses marked the border of the two nations and while both maintained a symbolic garrison of around fifty troops they never crossed the road. Most days there would be a symbolic flag raising ceremony and at night a flag lowering and while during these ceremonies the soldiers largely ignored each other salutes were exchanged if both factions happened to reach the point where the flagpoles fluttered side by side. The fort had several other purposes and now Dragon-Emperor Tielin found himself agreeing with Khan Mönkhsaikhan. Tielin had brought with him his son Prince Chun and his youngest wife Azure Dragon Queen Dandan. The trip to the Fort had been rather relaxing, first a cruise down the river known by Lijigians as the "Dragon Spine" and then a scenic mountain train ride until they reached the plateau where the fort was located. It seemed Tielin had arrived first and to show he was in attendance the Lijiang soldiers hoisted the royal standard on a flag pole next to their national flag and then carried out a large red wooden chair that was placed on their side of the road that split the fort. Legend said previously the first to arrive would sit meditating on the chair until their counterpart arrived and their meeting could begin but that was one tradition Tielin had little wish to revive and so while his troops kept an eagle eye peeled on the Jargalant countryside for the signs of the Khan approaching Tielin spent his time drinking tea with his officers.

Jargalant (FKA Eskdale):
While the Dragon-Emperor may have been satisfied making his way the the Narun Sebusitai fort and keeping a relatively low profile the Khan was not going to do things by half. The village of Dzürh sat around 20km away from the fort and after a journey by car there the Khan changed into traditional robes and accompanied by his entourage of red armoured ceremonial soldiers, his two wives and his two youngest sons, mounted his horse and in the early morning sunshine rode the remaining distance to the fort with several of his soldiers drumming an accompaniment. As they reached their nations entrance to the fort his soldiers there opened the gate and formed a guard of honour as he entered. Seeing the Dragon-Emperors banner already flying he turned in his saddle to 19 year old Prince Tsagaan-arslan and issued a series of commands. The boy elegantly and effortlessly slid out of the saddle of his grey steed and reached into the saddle bag removing a piece of carefully folded cloth. He made his way over to the flagpole accompanied by two men from the forts guard and their in traditional leather armour he fixed and then raised his fathers own banner to the same height as the Dragon Emperor. He then returned to his horse and took it by the reigns and made his way to the road that marked the divide between the two nations. He then removed his helmet, handed it to a soldier who had followed him and then loudly spoke. "Your Imperial Majesty, Dragon-Emperor of the Majestic Empire of Lijiang, friend of the Khanate I wish to present to you the stallion, Batbayar, his name means "Strong joy" and we wish him to stand as a symbol of our desire to maintain the bonds between our nations that have brought peace for so long." He bowed deeply and held the reigns forward towards the Dragon-Emperor hoping the horse he had ridden and cared for the past three years was a fitting gift for the Dragon-Emperor. The Khan sat atop his horse still but had moved close behind his son pleased with the way he had conducted himself. Prince Khicheengüi watched on from his position holding the ceremonial guards banner which flapped in the wind.

Lijiang:
They may share a border and a history as long as the Dragon-Spine River but there was a marked difference between the two rulers. Here was Tielin dressed for a business meeting and the Khan looked like he was about to lead a horde across the 13th Century. It probably shouldn't have surprised the Dragon-Emperor that the man had embraced the history of the day based on the contents of his letter, Tielin meanwhile had all but forgotten this tradition. He was unsure about the horse, while he could ride he was by no means a natural in the saddle but he carefully took the reigns knowing that the people of Jargalant had a kind of connection to horses. "Thank you Prince Tsagaan-arslan" he said as he patted the horse and then with one of his own guards holding the reigns tight and help from another rather awkwardly climbed into the saddle. He was surprised that Batbayar seemed to stand as still as if made of stone despite the new rider and their obvious unease compared to their previous rider. As he gripped tightly to the saddle's pommel he called for one of his own guards to come forward, "I had not planned to give this to you from horseback but I hope you will accept this." The guardsman bowed deeply as on the flats of his hands he rested a dagger made from jade. "We have one for you, naturally your father, and each of your brothers. For your sisters we have brought a gift of a set of jade hair pins. We hope they serve as a symbol of the respect we have for your family, and your nation." The soldier handed two swords over to the Prince before allowing the various formalities of such a situation to be played out. Now calling out loudly to the Khan the Dragon-Emperor spoke loudly. "Khan Mönkhsaikhan I hope during our stay here we can see the fort as our shared home and you are free to come and go in our half as you wish. It is my hope you and your retinue will join us for lunch." He slid from the horse gave it another good pat thanking it for not throwing him off and walked directly to the line hoping the Khan would meet him there and accept his invitation.

Jargalant (FKA Eskdale):
To the Khan a man who wasn't comfortable in the saddle couldn't be comfortable on a throne. As the words his father had told him when he had fallen off an unbroken stallion one day and claimed he was never riding again ran through his mind he turned to Prince Khicheengüi holding the Royal Guards banner firm and shot him a smile that indicated he found the situation funny. The world though was changing and the Khan maybe was stuck in the past but the world would be a nicer place if people remembered some of their morals from times before the internet. He was though pleased that the Dragon-Emperor seemed to like the horse even if he seemed well out of practice on its back. As Prince Tsagaan-arslan handed over the jade dagger that had been given as a gift the Khan drew its blade and examined it. The blade was pretty and clearly a mark of a skilled craftsman. He was also impressed that the Dragon-Emperor had sent gifts for all his children and as he sheathed the blade he found a way to attach it to his belt before nodding a thank you to Tielin. As his counterpart made his way to the centre line and yelled across the Khan slid down from the saddle and handed his ornate helmet to his now horseless soon. The King then stood with his arms out in the shape of a cross and two guardsman appeared and removed the leather armour chest plate that he'd been wearing and then the bracers. The Khan handed the men his sword belt and now wearing a dark purple tunic and leather riding trousers strode over towards Tielin. He held out his arms to offer an embrace as monarch to monarch. "I would be delighted to join you, once my sons have ensured our horses are cared for they will join us with my two Khatuns. First though I'd like to meet your family. I hear we are expecting a wedding sometime soon?" 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version