Roleplay > Diplomacy and Events

The Ironside-Rhodes Hotline

(1/4) > >>

DaveIronside:
To:- Empress Emerita Evanthe

I am writing with my concerns regarding the recent media statements regarding our nation that have originated in Rokkenjima.

First the language used by the young Empress is insulting to our nation. To claim some so called "Northfort Experiment" has lead to lose of life unseen before the Commonwealth period is ludicrous. Since becoming King my nation has always gone above and beyond in terms of preserving life. A fact the Empress should remember only too well considering her own captivity at the hands of the Borlanders. There we placed the good of the international community above our own ends and as a result are still paying in lost Morelander lives today. There are literally millions of people alive on Mundus today who were it not for the actions of my armed forces, dedicated volunteers and aid organisations established here would otherwise be dead.

Under the reigns of previous Empresses it was always seemingly a competition in international affairs. Rokkenjima needed to be seen as the global elite. CTOMM was commanded by a Rokkenjiman. For many Morelanders, and I suspect others around the world who lost loved ones in that conflict, this is a hard pill to swallow. Hundreds of Moreland Legionnaires died freeing Marseille while following the orders of a Rokkenjiman who never committed forces from his own nation. When Lijiang sought to become the HQ of the MAEA you yourself stated in a response that they are a nation with "potential capacity for human suffering" all in an attempt to earn the right to host the organisation. We see this again in the language used by the Empress stating they'll give us "a run for their money". Nothing would please me more than seeing a Rokkenjima active in being good partners on the global stage once more however rather than seeing it as a competition I would urge the Empress to make use of oppurtunities we have created. I note she recently attended our Festival of Sail and while she is always more than welcome I note that there were at least four other heads of state present (Emperor Marco of Abertone, The Veiled One of Gusano, Queen Natalya of Lodja and Empress Serenity of Achkaerin) yet no attempts to meet with any of them were made, meanwhile representatives of my government meet with all four. In January we shall be supporting Gusano in their admission to the CETO and in keeping with the establishment of their newest city helping them host a cultural extravaganza, it would be my hope that the Empress attend that with a more sociable frame of mind in regard of diplomacy.

We are with this Imperial Address repeating many of the patterns of old. While the rift between East Moreland and Rokkenjima was I believed closing we are seeing it now re-open. We see the Empress talking about the creation of what will be a forth attempt at some kind of global body in less than ten years. Each have failed and no lessons have been learned as to why. Meanwhile we have seen regional co-operation flourish. We have seen the nations of Ardia use their body to mediate a flashpoint, we have seen the creation of a Krimeon anti-piracy force and we have seen TUNA put in place measures to support a marginalised people in the form of the Water Nomads. These bodies have achieved a great deal and this regional determinism should be supported. Add to this we once again are seeing your nation literally throwing money at nations on the criteria of "Democracy". I remind you this word was stricken from the MCUR as many nations, my own included, would not likely fulfil the criteria of being a fully fledged democracy. I suspect the vast majority of your $1billion is going to sit in a Rokkenjiman bank whereas it could easily support people on the ground in nations like Kermah where education is hard to come by for some and can be supported without the need to add conditions. The women of remote Lijiang struggle to access health care so the Global Childbirth Initiative work hard to try and change this, yet Lijiang would not be permitted to access these funds and so women continue to die in childbirth from treatable conditions. We see time and again what could best be described as "hoop jumping" by Rokkenjima to gain diplomatic traction. Most nations simply want a friend not a banker.

As the Empress explains the situations are QAMB and the recent issues with Daito are complex. While this is true the same is true that members of the Rokkenjiman armed forces have been involved in both. Decision making and chains of command have clearly fallen apart during these moments resulting in damage caused by your nation. This also creates a lack of trust. Elements of the Rokkenjiman military are clearly not fit for purpose. For several years now Achkaerin Justicars and various intelligence officials have worked alongside your military in order to try and solve this situation and yet we still see scenarios where whole hosts of your forces were involved in a political plot. We inherited a similar situation of mass corruption, outdated command structures, disloyalty and political backstabbing in Lodja and have now turned their armed forces into a steady reliable tool for the crown there post civil war and have now, save for joint exercises, removed our training teams. Only once the Achkaerin forces hand back total control of information, command and control will your nations forces be seen as reliable to many in the world. 

I note both yourself and the Empress make use of the motif of "open doors" and people being welcome to walk through them. Such statements are used a lot by a string of Rokkenjimans and have seen the once lorded Rokkenjiman Diplomatic Corps fail to maintain itself as what it was once perceived as. There was a time myself as a new King I accepted such an invite because I believed it was one that would be important for my nation. Were I crowned today I am not so sure I would have walked through that door so readily. I was fortunate enough to be tutored by Dr.Marcus Merriman who as well as teaching medieval Morelander history taught his students several important life lessons. The first of these is that a persons perception of the world is their reality. If people perceive you as being one way then to them that is how they will treat you. It is my hope the world perceives East Moreland as a nation steadfast in its commitment to make Mundus better and that we are a nation that is a reliable and dependable friend that will always show up and do the right thing. If you are being honest with yourself what do you believe is the perception of Rokkenjima these past few years? The second thing he taught me was that rereading ancient stories will not bring about new endings. We are, I fear, beginning to see a reply of the situation between myself and the Empresses mother. I would urge her not to do this.

On Wednesday I will go before the Representative Assembly as I do every week and I will answer their questions that are likely to come on the relationship between Rokkenjima and East Moreland. This letter is likely to give you a flavour of what will be said. You know only too well we in East Moreland place a greater emphasis on deeds than words. As such this will be born out in my statements before my Assembly.

Should you wish to contact me regarding this matter before Wednesday you are more than welcome.

May The Gods Watch Over You and Your Nation Know Peace.

King David of East Moreland.

Beatrice:
To: My friend, King David of East Moreland

It was of utmost of difficulties that I left the Illumic yet again; I might not be a native to the waters you call home but, there's something in those waters that calls out to my heart too, being torn away is impacting a bit more greatly this time I find. That being said, I return in a capacity with many difficulties before it, and I can confirm to you personally that inflammatory language toward you and East Moreland was done to placate some in the Imperial Rokkenjiman Military who see themselves higher than their station. You must understand, the Rokkenjiman Throne is at its weakest point since the first Grand Patriotic War, and I don't know if I can right this ship, even with the assistance of the Achkaerinese (which, I promise you, I have already devised a plan which will see domestic control restored in the areas you highlighted, but I feel like I'm going to need to call upon you to see those succeed.) We are, after all, talking about a girl who was in your care for some time, someone who has asked me if there are Freya figurines she might add to her collection of "people I admire", thus I do not believe those words spake against you and yours were penned by her, my beloved Asuna is in survival mode and doing what she can to both survive, but to try to be a firewall. She'll need your support and guidance in that and, with your permission, I'd like to facilitate the two of you speaking directly because I think you could be of great help in this present situation, and maybe through a collective struggle we'll see the spirit of friendship truly take hold once again.

As you place an emphasis on deeds over words I have enabled East Moreland access to Rokkenjiman military communications over ICON; if the Grand Marshal is a traitor his actions are most certain to show up there. I've also enabled access to your Government regarding the log which the Empress maintains, typically a log which is only opened ten years following her passing. I've taken the first action with her knowledge and the second without it; I couldn't risk her trying to pretty her words up knowing you'd have access. That'll show you her true positions and, perhaps, help guide us back together. I'm not going to argue with you or try to tread old ground, but what I will do in my capacity is act as a conduit to the present, in the hopes of seeing this truly ridiculous set of circumstances between us resolved. I look forward to rejoining you in the Illumic as soon as I'm able to, something about the smell of the waters, maybe that's what draws us all back. Until we see each other again, all the best to you and yours.

Evanthe

In addition to the message Evanthe sent in reply would be attached the first entry available to the King.
December 19th, 2023

It was to be my moment, following in the footsteps of my mother, and yet here we are. I had so much fun at the Festival of Sail, I think I really reconnected with Freya, and just a few days ago I speak against them. I only wish I could tell her I'm sorry, I feel like I disappointed her, and maybe I truly did. I don't know how to move forward from here, everything in my head is screaming to find some respite with her and the King, but I'm forced to malign them instead. What do I do, where do I turn to, where does an Empress who should be at the apex turn? I find some comfort in mum's music though, Duran Duran specifically.

"Because I'm falling down
With people standing 'round
But before I hit the ground
Is there time?
Could I find someone out there to help me?"

The Most Humble of Islyna didn't prepare me for this, Rosari principles have nothing to offer here, they assume a Chrysanthemum free of influence. Despite my spirit and my dedication it's all robbed from me, I have to be a puppet at times, and it makes me want to peel my very own skin off in disgust. I like to imagine her, Freya, in full gear kicking the shit out of these people, being by my side, helping me at my most vulnerable. I hope she hasn't lost faith in me, or respect, I hope she doesn't hate me in this, I hope she knows I wish she was here now to show these bastards just what strength really is. I wish she could help me, journal while my mother was formidable and while I love and respect her, somehow in my time in East Moreland Freya became my role model and I'm feeling rather crappy these past few days. You can't give me any help but, maybe, I can still find a way to make her proud? Tomorrow isn't written yet, and that's all I'm writting today. See you tomorrow at our usual time.

DaveIronside:
To:Evanthe

While I see room for encouragement in your letter and actions I can not help but be concerned. It seems to me like the Empress is struggling coming to terms with her position of responsibility and the situation that Rokkenjima finds itself in. While she speaks to factions of her administration that she feels need to hear anti-East Moreland sentiments she needs to be aware this requires me to both say and do things as a reaction. My fear is this will set us back to the times of animosity and anger. While I appreciate the steps taken by yourself I believe the Empress deserves the right to privacy in her personal diaries. Often for people in positions such as ours they are the only place we can truly be honest in our lives and as such I do not believe the young Empress deserves to have her personal scribblings scrutinised by myself or anyone else until such a time as she is ready. Meanwhile one of my most trusted intelligence agency workers, Grace Yacobs, will scrutinise ICON and if required support in monitoring the matters.

In the new year my sister is semi-retiring from military service and will eventually take on more government duties. While I had intended making her a minister for veteran affairs I will now more than likely make her some kind of emissary. In January we will be supporting Gusano in the long overdue hosting of a CETO festival. I would therefore ensure my sister attends and I believe perhaps you could take an oppurtunity to persuade the Empress to do likewise. This will give them an oppurtunity to speak without prying eyes of the media.

May The Gods Watch Over You and Your Nation Know Peace

King David III

Beatrice:
David,

I'm certain you know I quite understand your position. Given the duties I have, and as another she trusts and respects, I am confident in my ability to oversee things from this point. It is my fear that the new year marks a time which may prove to be too late. If our conspirators are looking at the same calendar we are they know that they have a deadline, the end of this year, before the new Constitution comes into force. With the Empress being beyond Rokkenjiman borders I, in the mean time, am seeing that things run smoothly here, however, this window presents an opportunity for a final effort against what the Empress, and her mother, had long sought: less power concentrated in the Crown and a true realization of what Rokkenjiman Democracy is. Preventing the conspiracy from making gains prior to that window closing is of paramount importance. If it's possible to arrange for a face-to-face prior to that please do let me know so we may make any arrangements, if necessary, on our end.

Working together we may see that this is the last echo of the past, at least that's my intention. I didn't have the opportunity before to finish my job and duty in giving Asuna what I promised and I won't let this opportunity to do so end in failure this time.

Evanthe
To: Relevant Morelander Authorities
From the Desk of Tamaki Kado, Director of the Imperial Rokkenjiman Naval Intelligence Service

At the direction of Kōshaku Evanthe I have instructed that <0, a cyber security analyst whose services are often employed by the INIS, seek your assistance and analysis of data regarding a trio of Rokkenjiman nationals. Under the Guardtower Provisions signed into law following the attack upon Pyrettania our Full Spectrum program is capable of capturing the communications of Rokkenjiman nationals in real time, signifying countless channels of communication which would be outside the walled garden of the ICON network. With the deadlines imposed upon INIS, those being the close of the year, I have issued an exception to share data with your relevant services in a bid to buy as much time as possible and thwart whatever plot is presently afoot.

It is not lost upon me the recent remarks of the Empress nor the sentiment those have aroused, however, despite appearances there are more friends to Northfort than those who would seek to see us return to the worst of days between our nations, myself amongst them and I feel a vast majority under my direction as well. In this present situation we find ourselves facing INIS is, very much, the last line of defense between our nascent reproachment and lunatics who I'd hazard wish to see, in all but name, military rule of Rokkenjima; fostering foreign discontent is of course advantageous to them there.

I also understand that the Kōshaku wishes to effect a quicker face-to-face between the Empress and your Princess, something I am willing to facilitate. Given the current location of the HMY United States I feel we can effect her travel, via helicopter, to Seaforth from the impromptu Imperial Yacht discreetly. If you are capable of effecting discreet transportation for the Princess, likewise, please inform me and I'll have the arrangements made in short order.

Beatrice:
The Empress smiled at her new post, it was on an obscure Morelander image board but one which was, at times, monitored by the Morelanders, at least she hoped. She also hoped that the guidance Lucinda had given her in steganography didn't fail her here. The image itself was rather innocent, a kitten roaring at a tiger on the screen ahead of it, yet within that image was hidden a video she hoped would reach the right ears. "And there it is," she said after hitting "post" and turning to Thomas, "I'm sure they'll get the message, if they inspect the right aspects of the post of course, but it's a Hail Mary at this point. I suspect your return to Tytor will be something we need to discuss soon, if things get messy, as I suspect they might, I wouldn't want you here taking unnecessary risks, whether on my behalf or otherwise." She continued as she posted another image, yet again laden with data for those who would be looking for something behind the curtain so to say, posting an image of a kitten cuddling with with a honey badger containing within it another video, before hitting the "post" button yet again.

"I'm sure INIS will see this," she continued, "but I'm hoping they're on my side in this, at least I think they should be." She sent the third image, one taken by the press of King David and Empress Beatrice in happier times which contained one further, and final, video. Her identity had been suspected, as advised to her by the INIS on the site, but it had never been confirmed, yet she could only hope her digital breadcrumbs would be followed here, even against most odds. "I think that's enough for tonight," she said as she sighed, "we can only see what tomorrow brings, and hopefully it's good. I still think you should go, there's no telling what happens next and I won't see you put in the path of danger. If I fail at standing here," she said as she slumped into him, "I need to know I have a home to return to, and wherever that is it's with you."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version