Government > Conference Hall

A Summit For Reform

(1/3) > >>

Beatrice:

Fellow Orderians,

It has become increasingly clear that there remain issues we must address with the Government of the Independent Order. To effect positive change we will be hosting a discussion to review the Government and make changes which best serve the interests of the Independent Order and place its Government in a position reflective of the demands it presently faces. We've had some ideas shared on Discord already, which I am pleased to present to you:

* Abolishment of the Office of the Premier and the institution of the Regional Assembly.
* Authority over appointing officers to act on behalf of the Order shall be entrusted with the Chancellery.
* The Chancellery shall assume management of the Gameplay responsibilities of the Order.
* Three Committees, utilizing the Cabinet Offices forum, shall be established: Recruitment, Foreign Update, and World Assembly Delegate.
* Roleplay-related matters, such as changes to rules, shall be entrusted to a Roleplay Assembly headed by the Roleplay Moderator.
* The Lord Chief Justice and Roleplay Moderator will continue to exist in their present state.
* A list of legislation which will continue to stand will be established, while those not included will be set for repeal.
Both the Vice Chancellor and myself look forward to a productive and engaged dialogue with the region as we address these issues and move forward in strengthening the operational capabilities of our Order.

Phonx:
I think we should become an absolute monarchy under the Grand Chancellor and Vice Chancellor. However, I do feel we would need some sort of mechanism to remove a Grand Chancellor, Vice Chancellor or any Officer they appoint if an issue were to arise such as inactivity, breaking the law, etc.

Beatrice:
We already have a mechanism of recall which would naturally be carried over.  ;)

hobbes:
hi,

First thing. I don't claim to have any mandate as Premier with one whole vote. But it outlines the numerous problems we have.

To be frank, we face two options:

1) Remove all Chancellory involvement in government and make the positions forum/region administrative only.
2) Remove the government and function as a absolute monarchy.

The 'constitutional monarch' train left the station at this point years ago. We may have had one under Ava, but what we currently have amounts to a President-for-Life or Absolute Monarch. Sure, on paper, the monarch's powers are defined by the constitution, but the institution of a constitutional monarchy is dependent on the monarch being unbiased and uninvolved, The Crown puts this well, saying the job of the monarch in a modern democracy is to do nothing; and doing nothing requires the upmost energy.

Beatrice already functions as a politicized figure with political authority rather than a monarch with ceremonial authority except in utmost crises, so at this point the only two options are to remove that power or just formalize it.

Achkaerin:
Generally looking at what Hobbes outlines the question becomes for me - if we do this what happens? I'm not forming a final personal opinion yet but just offering thoughts.

What would be of concern is that given that we've just had an election with a single valid vote, before that only Dave ran, before that I recall overruling with a Judicial order but again it was one candidate. At this point I'm not so sure that removing the GC power would suddenly reverse this trend, not because I doubt the validity of the argument but because I'm not so sure we have the people who would step in and form a government and legislative. But I'm happy to be proved wrong.

I would also like to point out that given we put a lot into our RP the simpler the government the better no matter which way it goes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version