Author Topic: Urban Explorers  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Major Jaws

• World Power
  • Hallo, Ich bin eine Filipino.
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Quintelia, Socram and Sarandib
Urban Explorers
« on: January 17, 2018, 05:52:42 AM »
Episode 1: Pilot

"... Then, we're going to push through the security system and you, Totoy Brown, will carry the bottles to the water fountains and fill them up. The rest of us four will distract the security guards. Once all the bottles are filled up to half, light this pack of triangles and go to the underpass exit. Once back in the Ayala Avenue, ride a jeepney going to the Fort Bonifacio area. For us, we escape through the footbridge and proceed to the nearest slums. And remember, when we're running around the mall, steal a few clothes and food. Any questions?" An eighteen year old boy said to four other boys, all younger than him. Mateo Balthazar looked up from the paper he drew on as he explained.

The greased up boy Totoy Brown then asked. "Why this certain mall? Couldn't we just target other malls instead?" Poor him, not only is he dirt poor, but he was named by his parents like that: 'Totoy Brown', the child destined to be born poor, live poor, and die poor. "I mean, why this certain mall that has security guards? They would shot us dead!" The other kids nodded in approval.

"Because I've been going to this mall my entire life. I know each store there, that mall was my childhood! Plus, security guards are only allowed to carry tasers and even then, King Lapu has recently ordered that children shouldn't be shot at. Am I clear?" Mateo answered and everyone else replied a yes. "Good, we'll do this tomorrow. Juan Lucas, you'll be the starting guard." He pointed to another boy who was older than Totoy, but younger than Mateo. The candles were put out and Juan Lucas stayed awake until he felt sleepy and woke up Mateo. They changed guard every few hours until the sky lit up a bit.

After a brief jeep ride and walking for one hour, they were set. On time, the mall opened and the weekend shoppers were coming in. When the crowd subsided, they started to move. Some people were eyeing the five children, as if suspicious of their motives. Three of them stated begging at the people, making puppy eyes and looking innocent. A few strangers gave coins while others ignored and shooed them. Mateo and Totoy Brown were a hundred meters away and waited. Juan Lucas then nodded to the two and the duo started running towards the entrance. One of the guards were knocked surprised while the other started to radio in for support. The three kids then followed, kicking both guards' balls and then grabbing their radios. Of course, other employees saw this and tried to catch them, but to no avail. Totoy finally arrived at one of the water fountain stations and started to refill three 1 liter bottles. Mateo was cornered, but was able to push through. He grabbed a high-heeled shoe and threw it to one of the sales lady, who was knocked unconscious. He ran with 'hypebeast' clothing with him and ran to a fitting room. He bit of the price tags and wore them. To remain unnoticed, he tore his old clothes and put them in the other stall and ran. Mateo then got into a well secluded ATM machine and pulled out a Royal Bank of Quintelia Card he snatched from his parent and withdrew amounting to $500. The fire alarms went off as Mateo went back to the boutique where most of the commotion was. Everyone was trying to run away aside for a few security guards. "Hoy, mga putangina!" (OOC: Translation: Hey, you sons of whores!) Mateo saw then grab their tasers and ran. The kids managed to grab some clothes and escape. Finally, Mateo was able to outrun them and join the crowd. Luckily, there were people who were wearing the same clothes as him. Unluckily, his face was still recognizable and the guards caught up to him. On one side were the guards and on the other, a crowd that is packed like sardines. He was stuck on the footbridge so he jumped into the oncoming traffic. The car's roof he landed on was dented by his force, he rolled over into the street and started running, as if he was in an action movie. Running, he went to the side walk and jumped into a jeepney. Looking at his bruised arm, he paid his fare and looked outside for anyone looking for him. The sirens can be heard and a police car just drove by. Ayala City is dense with towering skyscrapers and can be seen from the slum-infested Fort Bonifacio City.

Back in their home, or if you'd call a room as small as a queen-sized bed a home, Totoy Brown and his friends were waiting for Mateo. As the sun set, the city became a center of crime. Underground clubs started blaring out music, the galvanized steel roofs of the shacks started to rumble, as another syndicate group climbs a house to either steal or kill or both. Gunshots echo from all corners of the slums. It seems that Mateo may not be able to go home, and is captured by the police. The four children were left orphaned once again.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 12:49:43 PM by Major Jaws »

Offline Major Jaws

• World Power
    • View Profile
Re: Urban Explorers
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 04:56:11 AM »
Episode 2: Home

The jeepney Mateo rode parked in a terminal, with the neon sign on the facade of the building saying "Bahay City Transport Terminal". Their little mall invasion wasn't for the water or the cash, it was his perfect cover-up. He checked his pockets and unloaded from the vehicle. Looking around the familiar place, he headed to a small canteen where the drivers of jeepneys, taxis, and buses rest. As he opened the door, smoke from cigarettes and vape start to pour out. Mateo approached a man with a vape on one hand, a phone on another, and golden chains on his neck and asked. "Are you Boy 2 Quizon?"

The man looked at the teen and grabbed him by the arm. He dragged him to a corner and asked. "Did you do the Ayala Premiere Mall invasion this morning?" Mateo nodded and the man laughed. "Ha! Idol! Do you have the money?" Mateo remained quiet and handed a bill that is equal to $10, to which Boy 2 whispered. "Go to this address: Meadow Hills Apartments, Virtue Street, Barangay[1] San Pablo. Once there, enter the building and knock on room 205. Just whisper 'Another unfortunate victim, how sad.' and they'll let you in. Just a note, be ready financially, physically, and mentally." Quizon said before letting go of Mateo's arm. The man turned around and typed on his phone, contacting somebody, "Code Green, password number 3."

By the time Mateo has finished his business in the canteen, the hazy, smoky air was beginning to make him feel lightheaded. Maneuvering through the tables of gamblers and drunks, he took a deep breath as he stepped outside, coughing as the clean-ish air filled his lungs once more. He looked at his bruised arm, pressing it to lessen the pain and started walking. He raised his hand to stop a jeepney but he thought. “If I ride the jeep, many petite might recognize my face, plus pickpocket syndicates are rampant in jeepneys now. Taxis would make sense but they’re required to have cameras so that’s a no-go.” He walked for a few minutes before stealing an unattended bike on the sidewalks. Before turning to a corner, he abandoned his bike in the gutter and let someone else take it. He walked towards the run down flats. A group of youth is standing nearby, who were judging Mateo. As he entered, rats and cockroaches alike ran hurried, but the smell of the trash lingered. Going up to the second floor, with each step on the stairs felt like it's going to collapse. Mateo approached the door labeled with the room number he was looking for.

Mateo knocked and heard muffled muttering and mumbling and a young man opened the door. His red-stained eyes started blankly at Mateo, who then uttered in Filipino. "Another unfortunate victim, how sad." The man, who reeked with weed, beer, and whatever he was snorting nodded, and unlocked the chain lock on the door. As Mateo entered, the stench grew, and saw a fairly attractive half-naked woman. The red-eyed man shouted at her. "Babe, I got a costumer!" The woman looked at the two men and groaned before entering another room. The man then asked Mateo, who so far remained quiet. "So, I presume that you would buy something. What would it be?" Mateo looked around, and then replied. "Do you have a butterfly knife? Preferably sharp. Also if you have lock pick, that would be nice." The red-eyed man shuffled through a drawer, then found one. "So, all these are $100 and, where are you doing this heist?" Mateo was struck surprised but said. "Barangay Greenhills, I have a political target, if you would call it that." He handed over the money and took the items and turned back around. The thin red-eyed man blurted out. "Don't say you're hitting the Minister of Defense's house." Mateo just looked back, gave a shrugged and exited the room. He unfolded the knife and folded back, just to test the product. Then, Mateo went outside.

Barangay Greenhills is a gated exclusive subdivision, where most of the houses are more than $5 million dollars worth. Although gated, the guard can be easily killed, and so Mateo did, he punched him in the face and stabbed him in the back. Inside the guard house, he cut the wires of the cameras. In the dead of the midnight, almost everyone was asleep, even the personal guards of the elites. He looked at the electric posts and sure enough, his missing posters were nowhere to be found. As he approached a house, he leaned into its black gate, and inserted the pick inside. As silent as he could be, and trying to remember what he did back in a Wewazkangz Kid's Camp. Then, the door on the gate swung open. Inside, he saw three cars, two were familiar while another SUV sat there. Mateo dashed through the gate as quietly as he could; noticing an awkwardly-placed potted plant off the side of the path. Lifting the potted plant slightly, he discovered the master key to the door sat in front of him. Delicately, he unlocked the door and pushed it open just enough to slink inside, without hitting the wooden chimes that dangled at the entrance. Mateo was finally home.

(OOC: MAYBE GRAPHIC? I'M JUST FOLLOWING GUIDELINES)

As he closed the door, he crouched and went to the basement. He picked the lock once again and was successful, however, the pick broke. He shut down every cameras watching inside and outside the house. Mateo climbed upstairs, and inside the master's room, the snoring echoed like he was in a cave. As the air conditioner blew loudly, Mateo woke up the snoring man. "Dad, I've come back." He whispered, prompting his father to turn around. Taken aback by the return of his son, he responded. "Mat-Mat? You've returned? I thought you were dead! Now you've proven to me that you're strong." Mateo then pushed his father back and stabbed him on his right chest, just a few centimeters from the heart and lungs. The old man gasped in agony as the knife hour a major artery. "Isn't it ironic, Dad? You're the Minister of Defense yet you're defenseless. How weak of you!" He taunted his father while covering the mouth to stop him from screaming in pain. "Does this seem familiar, huh? A person silenced and is not given the freedom to live. Ah, of course, that's what you did to me." He said, emotionless and trying to sound like the person-in-charge. "Now, I'll let you say your last words, and this suffering will end." The Minister merely moved and said. "I hope you join your mother in Hell, you and that..!" Mateo pulled the knife to the left and pulled it out. Blood gushed out and stained the whole bed. As Mateo pulled out the knife from the chest, bits of flesh stuck on the knife, which he just cleaned on the corpse of his father. He looked back at the body and saw the hole he made on the chest cavity. The heart was visible with more blood coming out of it, but the lungs still seemed to move. Mateo then slashed his father's throat, saying. "Good night, Dad." He then went downstairs and opened the safe containing at least a thousand dollars worth in cash. He then grabbed his father's phone and left. His home back in Fort Bonifacio was a safer place than there.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 01:52:02 PM by Major Jaws »

Offline Major Jaws

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 09:59:09 AM »
EPISODE 3: REUNION

"Papa Jesus, please don't take Kuya1 Mat-Mat. I've already lost my parents in the fire, so please, don't take him yet. I'm sorry for what we did in Ayala City, we need to live and we are not ready to meet You yet." Crispin prayed as he looked out of the window, or more accurately, a hole in the wall. Tears rolled down to his cheek and he bowed down to his folded hands. His brother, Basillio, tapped his shoulder and said.

"Why are you still awake? Are you worried about Mateo?" Crispin slowly nodded, wiping his tears away. "Don't be, he can survive it, he will be back. For now, I'll be the big brother here again. Go back to sleep now."

"No, I won't sleep until he comes back!" Crispin protested, raising his voice.

"That's why I'm the one who will wait for him. Just, just go to sleep and he'll be back when you wake up. You'll make mom smile from heaven." Basillio calmly smiled as he hugged his brother, who lied down to the bed. Letting out a deep sigh, he looked out of the window. What's supposed to be a gentle night, is disturbed by crime and whatever's happening outside the ruined city in each shanty.

Mateo walked down towards a convenience store. It's bright LED signs welcomed anyone who has money, which includes the hooded Mateo. He passed by a homeless mother and child, to which he paid little attention to. The quiet store with a sleepy staff was the best place to buy liquor for underage teens, so he grabbed a bottle of vodka, along with a loaf of sweetened bread, and a jug of water, he went to the counter to pay for it. The cashier asked him for an id, to which Mateo acted like he was looking at his wallet and replied. "Uhmm, I think I forgot it back home, I'm just going to buy this and return with my proof." The cashier shook her head. "I'm calling the police and you'll have to explain that to your parents in the precinct house." She said making an annoying face. Suddenly grabbing his knife, Mateo held it close to the cashier. "Call the police and you won't see them." The terrified woman reached for the cash register with Mateo slapping his own face in disapproval and shouted. "Just let me buy my liquor! I still have morals!" The cashier nodded and took the money and gave the change. Mateo flipped back his knife and left the store. He gave the bread and the water to the two homeless people outside and left the street.

Opening the bottle with his knife, he started drinking his vodka. Although still eighteen years old and not of the legal age, he has tasted alcoholic drinks due to his father letting him try some. "If Dad let me live freely like he let me freely taste liquor then I would have spared him." He thought as he smashed the emptied bottle into a sidewalk, keeping the biggest  and sharpest piece in the pocket of his jacket. "Fuck, I drank too much this time." Covering his mouth, he began vomiting on a tree. Luckily, by the time he has finished wiping himself, a jeepney drove by and he entered. Even in midnight, many people in Lungsod, Ayala, Bahay, Fort Bonifacio, and other cities in the National Capital Region are still awake. The culture of keeping a steady but progressive pace has been replaced with foreign crab mentality.

"Sir, wake up sir." The driver shook him up. Mateo jolted up in surprise as he looked around the now empty jeepney and asked. "What, what happened?" "Sir, you fell asleep and a man tried to pickpocket you." The driver started and Mateo checked his pockets. "You then woke up and cut some of his fingers with your knife and stabbed him in the shoulders." Mateo flipped his butterfly knife a few times while listening and held on his money inside his pocket. "Then this girl grabbed another blade from your pocket, also stabbing him in the chest and kicking him out. Luckily no-one was behind us." The driver then shook his head, thinking what could have happened. "You then puked all over the vehicle. You even puked on some of my passengers! Then, you passed out and now, you're in Fort Bonifacio Terminal." He finished as he extended his hand for the payment. Mateo then asked "Wait, if you're saying a passenger was stabbed in your jeep, why didn't you or anyone call the police?" before he handed the payment which was twice of his original fare. "I'm sort of avoiding them after a little feud with them and at that time, there were only four of us." The driver replied and Mateo thanked him and left. "Was I that drunk?" He whispered to himself as he walked, wiping himself of any remnants of vomit and blood.

Walking back towards his home on the slums, the streets were eerily quiet. Aside for his footsteps and the distant commotion of sinful actions. Weirdly enough, there's a sudden sound of another person walking. Mateo looks back and sees a silhouette of a person. Unsure and panicked, he pulled out his knife and shouted. "Move another step and I'll stab you! Who are you?" His hands shaking as a soft, feminine voice replied. "Mateo, don't. I've been following you since the year began." Mateo raised his brow, the voice was familiarand he replied. "Cecilia? What?" He folded back his knife, approaching her to see clearly in the dark. "I'm confused, why are you even here? Your parents would kill you if they knew you're here?" Cecilia smiled as she began to approach Mateo.

1. Kuya- Pronoun for older boy/brother
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 12:39:15 PM by Major Jaws »

Offline Major Jaws

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 08:04:40 AM »
OOC: This took an unnecessary long time, hope you enjoy it.

EPISODE 4: WALK THE TALK

The two walked towards each other, before being able to hug each other under a street lamp. The warm, cozy embrace made Mateo's spine chill, being the first intimate contact he had in months. The hug went on silently for a few seconds before Mateo let go. "We have a lot to talk about, but first of all, how the fuck did you know where to find me?" Mateo asked as they continued to walk, hands on each other's back.

Cecilia gave a smirk as she answered "Well, I’m in a sort of a same situation as you. I got kicked out of the house when I told them that I’m an atheist, well more of an agnostic but, you get the idea.."
Mateo was surprised, this girl was someone who always posted Biblical verses on social media, and someone who always lead Bible studies and even prayers, was a fellow atheist. Mateo, being a rebellious teenager, was a very open atheist with his friends at school, although he hasn’t told it to his fellow slum kids. “Wait, can you say that again?” Mateo smiled, asking to be sure that his drowsiness wasn’t tricking him.
“Are you deaf? I just said that. Why else would I be roaming around the slums?" Cecilia scoffed back. "I mean, that was a few months ago, now I'm sort of just roaming around the five cities with hopes of finding someone that will care about me and, well, here you are."
"What do you mean someone who will care about you?" Mateo asked further, with confusion printed on his face and voice. "Weren't you the most popular girl at school and didn't you have that boyfriend you are so close with?"

"Who? Tomas? His dad had him break up with me before I came out as an atheist because I was being a 'bad influence' to his son." Cecilia explained, a bit irate but a bit indifferent. "So of course, my relationship with his friends deteriorated, and it's a slippery slope then. A month later, I was kicked from my house. I had to beg for food and that’s when I realized that ‘God’ didn’t care about everyone." A few drops of tears formed on her eyes and tear ducts, which were then promptly wiped away. "Wait, you never said the reason you left in the first place, Mateo." She remarked, tightening her hold on Mateo.

"Ok, so this is the first time I'm going to tell the full story." He started. "So, if my story's a bit around the place, it's because I'm dumb. Anyways, it all started when I was born." Mateo joked, and was received with a sarcastic chuckle. "Ok ok, I'm serious now. It started when I was brought in as an official member of the Wewazkangz tribe, which my mother didn't like for whatever reason. My father, being the raging alcoholic he is, accidentally killed mom after a very heated argument, her body is still missing. For years I had to keep my emotions hidden while taking all the beating and abuse. I finally snapped after five years of living with that fucked up man. I planned an escape during a city-wide power outage during a typhoon and what do you know, it worked. So, for almost a week, I used my father’s credit card to buy food and water and whatever I needed at that time until it hit less than a hundred dollars.”

“Wait wait wait.” Cecilia interrupted Mateo’s story. “So you’re saying that you had a credit card with you when you escaped? That’s unfair, I only had the clothes I had and a few coins when my family threw me out.” She exclaimed in a joking manner.

“Well, no, I also had a thousand pesos in cash and my phone and charger with me. I planned the escape, while yours is a bit of an impromptu escape if I would call it that.” Mateo replied, which was received with a playful punch on his shoulders. “Hey, I was just joking, the good thing is that you’ve survived Fort Bonifacio. I remember when you wouldn’t even touch someone who went to the slums without spraying your hands with alcohol afterwards.” Mateo teased further.

“Oh for crying out loud stop it. The important thing is that we’re alive, we’re relatively safe, and we know how we survived.” Cecilia replied, annoyed but tired. “Anyways, that building there is where I live. So, that means see you later?” She pointed at a three-story building, made out of cinder blocks and wood. Cecilia let go of her hold on Mateo as she waved goodbye; Mateo replied with his wave.

Mateo continued walking in the dark of the night until he reached his home. He climbe a tattered cloth serving as a ladder to the hiding hole of the boys. A candle flickered in the middle of the room as he saw Basilio half asleep, sitting at the other side of the room. Mateo pinched the candle flame to extinguish it as hesilently went to bed, which was just a layer of cardboard box and dirty sheets and pillows.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 08:36:55 AM by Major Jaws »