Author Topic: Seaforth Vignettes  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Seaforth
Seaforth Vignettes
« on: May 05, 2018, 12:12:42 AM »

The summer sun was heavy on the mans shoulders, the smell of heather and hay, thick and sweet. The water was in contrast, cool and crisp, mere inches below his dangling bare feet. The river lazed past, moving no faster than the gentle sway of the end of his rod. Two children sat upon either side, a boy and a girl, their own little rods abandoned in favour of ham and cheese sandwiches and lemonade.

The approach was felt long before he heard the gentle rustling of grass beneath foot...

"Fuck Off." Said the man

The new arrival chuckled...

"Now is that anyway to speak to me, Joshua?"

"Fine then. Fuck Off Jekar, Lord of Warriors, Bane of the Underlords."

You could cut the sarcasm with a knife...

"So this is to be your lot in life? Fishing with children?"

"Caspian and Amari are far better company than you ever were, though Amari still cheats at Candyland."

The little girl looks up at Joshua and sticks her tongue out as Joshua smiles and winks at her.

"You were not placed here to fish."

"Im tired."

Jekar sighs aloud

"I know. Rolaf has kept you hidden from me for some time."

"Everything turned to ash. I would be remembered for something other than failure."

"So you failed at something you were unsuited for. Big surprise there."

"So what would you have me do Jekar? Rule poorly until everything burns? Until I become like the SCC or the pretender Richard?"

"In all the times we have spoken, when have I ever suggested you rule? I asked that you live as a warrior and to promote the values that entails. I ask that you put yourself in front of the darkness so that others may burn brightly. I never gave you a throne nor demanded you take one."

"You want me to just walk away?"

"You would not be the first of your line to do so."

Joshua closed his eyes and let out an explosive breath, his hands falling into his lap as his rod fell into the river.

"You expect me to become Jocelyn?"

Joshua felt Amari take his hand

"No Joshua. I expect you to try."

Joshua looked first to Amari who just smiled. Then he looked to Caspian, who was holding up his own little shield for Joshua to take. Reassuring himself, Joshua nodded and ruffled the boys hair. Standing up he turned to face Jekar.

"Ok then."

Caspian then leaped up and drew his wooden sword. Holding it high above his head, he let loose the most fearsome battle cry he could muster, echoed by an equallly loud Amari. With the children screaming in his ears, Jekar's arm shot out and struck Joshua hard in the chest. Caught somewhere between surprise and pain Joshua flew backwards, striking the cold water, the icy shock ripping through him.......

"Sir! We have elevated theta waves from the patient. I think he is coming around."

"General Rhodes? Can you hear me?"

SIX MONTHS LATER

General Joshua Rhodes gazed up the elevator shaft, his Maglite playing off broken and twisted steel interwoven with knotted cables, the mangled remains of the elevator car smashed beyond recognition. He had awoken in the underground medical facility six months ago, having survived the helocopter crash...barely. The tiny medical team at the remote station had removed one other survivor, though she had died only weeks later, while he endured 18 months of a coma. Six months ago he was so weak he could have been licked to death by a kitten, however, with a medical team with nothing else to do, they had guided his recovery and rapidly returned him to a physical condition equal to that of before the crash. Maybe even a little better, he allowed. His major concern was a few fuzzy and missing memories. His last moments of perfect recolection being the aftermath of his victory against the Seaforth Catholic Church and the Ostlake Military Games. That and Evanthe and his son of course. Evanthe.....

"Fuck."

"Indeed, Sir. No one on our staff has the first idea on how to make the assent safely."

Joshua quickly recovered, gathering his thoughts to the task at hand.

"Yes, of course. I will need some manpower, and it will be slow going. Moving up one storey at a time, and cutting away the debris as I go."

"Yes Sir. Thoughts as to removing our other patients?"

Joshua was impressed the doctor's first thought was to his patients. After six months doing nothing but rehab and eating, Joshua was going stir crazy. The doc and staff were beyond two years....

"Restoring communications will be priority. I would prefer a team trained in high-angle rescue remove your patients rather than trying oursleves."

"Agreed Sir."

"All right Doc, lets see the maintenence storage rooms and see what we have to work with....

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
Re: Seaforth Vignettes
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 04:58:57 AM »
Arc-Royal, Seaforth

Chief Warrant Officer William De Laurel's three man sniper team crept up the stairs of the high rise, slowly advancing up to the 14th of 16 floors. Leading the way was his point man who also handled security. De Laurel and his partner would be so focused on making the shot they needed someone to watch their backs. Following De Laurel was the shooter, who's actual MOS was as a combat medic. De Laurel himself was the spotter and team leader. Together they made up one of the elite recon and sniper teams that formed the core of Black Fox, Seaforth's ultra secret direct action team. Indeed, in all of it's history, the only operation that had ever been even remotely found out was the troubles down in Marseilles.

De Laurel had not expected that 2 years later he would be pulling a mission inside of Seaforth, but the orders were clear. There had been too much suffering in the nation these last two years and if anyone knew about that, it was General Rhodes. Mere days after being rescued he was back to work and the General had made it clear that the nation could not afford another internal conflict, not at this time. Seaforth would remain unified, strong...and Black Fox would see to it. The troubles averted with a single bullet.

As they reached the 14th floor they moved silently down the hallway to the designated rooms. De Laurel picked the lock quickly and pushed in the door as the point man quickly swept the room. Dark and empty, they moved in and closed the door behind them. Moving over to the window, one member of the team set charges of plastic explosives to blow out the window a fraction of a second before the trigger was pulled. De Laurel and the other member moved a desk in line with the window so that the shooter could set up on top of the desk. As he did that, De Laurel set up his spotting scope and prepared his calculations. At this distance, everything mattered. Temperature, humidity, winds...even the Coriolis effect. To help him, De Laurel had a number of gadgets and gizmos, up to and including a second Black Fox team observing the target.

The targets was scheduled to give a speech to crowds of his supporters today. One that would hopefully be very short indeed. The target would be very far away...an impossible shot to almost every military in the world...but not to the Black Foxes. They trained in these sniper relentlessly and were products of the best training program in the world, and today they would push the limit as far as it had ever been pushed.

De Laurel hit the range finder and whistled in his own head. 3440 meters. He did the math and converted it to 3827 yards. A hell of a long shot, but one that would be helped by their elevated position. His team mates nodded their readiness as a soft voice chirped in his ear.

"Target is coming out."

Through his powerful scope, De Laurel watched the man descend the granite stairs outside the Provincial Building and make his way toward a podium. Part way there he was interrupted by a woman and a cameraman. De Laurel frowned, this wasn't part of the intel he had received. There wasn't supposed to be any camera crews here. The man was in a better position than the podium would place him, so De Laurel hit his range finder again. 3540 meters....3871 yards. De Laurel hit his mic.

"Confirm target and kill zone."

"Target is conformed. Two civilians in kill zone, not in direct path."

De Laurel adjusted the numbers and rechecked his calculations. Calling for minor adjustments to be made, his team was once again ready, the target still engaged in the impromptu interview. Not knowing how this would effect the targets plans, he made the call.

"Green Light."

The team members breathed to relax and the shooter readied himself. So much work went into preparing for the shot, the actually trigger pull sequence was flawless. De Laurel triggered the charges a split second before the .50 caliber rifle barked. At that distance, the round travelled for just under 10 seconds before De Laurel saw in his spotter scope, a pink mist rise up.

"Target is down, target is down. That's a good kill."

"This is Tara McLead live in Arc-royal. As you can see, I am standing here in front of the provincial building awaiting the arrival of Constantine Brady. Mr. Brady is scheduled to give a speech today, intended to drum up more support for his so called Arc-Royal separation. Oh! here he comes now!"

Tara bounds up the stairs as the viewers are treated to a jerky shot of her rear end as the cameraman ran to catch up.

"Mr. Brady! Mr. Bardy! A few words pease?"

Constantine Brady smiles and adjusts his suit.

"Ah. Ms. McLeod. I always have time for you."

"Mr. Brady, how do you intend to force the issue of Arc-Royal separation?"

"I don't have to force the issue at all, Seaforth has fallen. It doesn't exist. All I have to do is keep the so called restoration efforts from entering Arc-Royal. We are already separated, we just have to not be pulled back into the sordid mess that Josiah and Joshua Rhodes put us in."

"So I take it you are not thrilled that the General has returned from the dead?"

"Bah! he should have stayed dead! We don't need him or anyone else to tell us how to......."

Viewers of SNN are suddenly introduced to the phenomenom of cognative dissonance. As Constantine Brady continiued to speak, a fountain of blood seemed to erupt from his left chest as the left arm and flank spun away from his body. Without the weight balance and structural support, his right side flopped over until his right ear touched his right ankle. His lower half managed to stay upright for brief second, spurting blood, before finally tipping over. The cameraman lowered the camera to vomit and then dry heave as the camera ened up being pointed at Tara McLeod. White faced and spattered head to waist in speckled blood she stared at what used to be Constantine Brady until the network cut to commercial.

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 12:13:17 AM »
Seaforth Castle
Eventide

Joshua stood on the grounds of Seaforth Castle. As he played with his son he breathed in the heavy, humid air, thick with the smell of rain. He thought back all those years back when he first met Evanthe in the wake of the Illumic Blockade. Expecting a haughty princess, he instead met the woman who's every smile still knocked him sideways. Back then it was his father he waited for, entertaining Evanthe with his good friend Scott Carroll. They were both here again, the recent unpleasantness of the Illumic passed. Joshua felt sorry for his wife and a touch of sympathy for Count Emerson. He wouldn't have wished that conversation upon anyone, though he was glad his family was whole again. Now here at the castle, his family waited on him. Laughing as Joshia tried t push passed him on the grass, Joshua held him back and stripped the rugby ball from his grasp. In a passably tight spiral he tossed the ball back down the field. Josiah raised his little fists in the air and shouted his little war cry before rushing back after the ball.

"McAllistar!!!"

As Joshua grinned as the boy ran down the ball, he felt an arm wrap around his waist and felt a head rest on his shoulder. Looking down at his wife, he kissed Evanthe, feeling his heart quicken.

"Everyone is ready for you." Said Evanthe.

Joshua nodded as Joshiah ran back to him. Scooping the boy into his arms, Josiah threw an arm around his neck as Eva took him by the hand and led him back into the castle. Inside was gathered what could be called his inner circle. Aside from Evanthe and Josiah, present were Harper and Andrew. McKenna, Scott and Saratov were there too, even Raynald Lachlan.  His closest friends, Eric Fallstaff and Scott Carroll stood beside The Emperess Beatrice. With Josiah in his arms, he made the rounds, thanking his friends and family for coming.

"Brothers, sisters, friends and clansmen. Thank you for being here. We have been apart for far too long. We have missed far too much. In this time we have all faced our own trials and tribulations. Praise Helus that I am returned to the arms of my wife and son. That I am returned to my friends and family."

Cheers and applause breaks out. Evanthe, smiling from ear to ear she walks over to Joshua. After kissing him she takes Josiah and sits next to her cousin Beatrice.

"I have had a lot of time to think, stuck in that bunker. Time to reflect. To evaluate. Not only on Seaforth but on myself as well. Seaforth is battered, no doubt. I also feel that we are on the verge of greatness. They call this the Restoration in the news, and so it is. Not just the restoration of a nation, but a people. We have suffered much over the last years. The extinction of House Cameron, the Civil War, the Eugenics War, The Fall....they all took their toll. Even my own mismanagement of the peace and the disastrous clan system played a part. So what do we restore? We are more than just roads and buildings. We shall restore the people. Restore pride. Restore honour and humility. Restore charity. Restore prudence and temperance and fortitude. Restore justice. Restore faith. Restore hope. Let our people believe in themselves and believe in a future where Seaforth is strong and kind. A Seaforth that stands by its word and its allies and extends the hand of friendship to those struggling in this world."

Joshua slowly turns about the room, the smiles and nods and tears of those gathered almost make him break down himself.

"It is the people in this room that will make that happen. We shall set the example of service that our people can rally behind. To that end I say it is time to restore the monarchy that has led us so well for so very long. We need a King. A King to unite us in a way no one else can. A King our people can rally behind and to act as an example those virtues I named. We need a King.....and it cannot be me."

The silence stretched out as the people in the room processed what he had said. Evanthe sat there, hands over her mouth, eyes wet as Joshua went to her and knelt before her.

"I have seen what a life without you would be and that is no life at all. I will serve Seaforth as best I can, but nothing less than Rolaf himself will part me from you and Josiah ever again. I need no titles, no crown, no castles or wealth. All I need in this life and the next are you and Josiah and a purpose."

Evanthe slipped out of her chair and threw her arms around Joshua. They held each other tightly for quite some time, until Josiah wiggled in between them shouting "Me too!" After another moment, the three broke apart. Standing, Joshua helped Evanthe back into her chair, plopping Josiah onto her lap. Wiping the tears from his eyes, the crowd could sense what was coming as Joshua walked over to his cousin Andrew.

"Damn you."

"I have been. No more cousin. It has to be you. I won the wars and failed the peace. You fought, the people respect you. I need you to do what I couldn't."

Andrew nodded after a moment.

"You are not released from service, Joshua."

Joshua smile took a step back and fell to one knee.

"Long live he King!"

The crowd laughed and cheered and echoed the proclamation

Long Live The King!
Long Live The King!
Long Live The King!

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 01:38:27 AM »

Seabrooke, East Moreland

Camryn Hopkins found herself on the beach on a rare day off. She had left the ER when her relief attending had arrived. Later in her flat, her sister Jocelin had phoned and flighty though she sometimes was, actually made a solid point for once.

"C'mom Cam! It's your day off! Im stuck at work, but you get to enjoy a day at the beach on a Tuesday! Think of it! No crowds, the beach to yourself! You spend all day and night at the hospital. You NEED some SUN, you NEED some fresh air! You also need a date, but at this point I will settle for the base requirements of a plant. We can work on people stuff later."

So still somewhat reluctantly, Camryn slipped on a two piece swimsuit some sandals and a white summer shirt and headed out, grabbing a floppy sunhat and book on the way out. Seabrook was a small city on the southern coast of East Moreland, so the drive to the beach wasn't long. Camryn pulled into a parking stall and shut off her car.  The weather was lovely, not too hot, not too cool and wasn't threatening to rain. All in all, not bad for late June. Jocelin was right there weren't too many people at the beach at all. Some loafers, a few families with nannys or parents on vacation. She did see one fairly large man, shirtless and running down the water line and kicking up sand. Obviously showing off, she snorted to herself.

The remainder of the morning went by pleasantly. She read her book and sipped on iced green tea. As noon approached she started to feel hungry.  A few feet off the beach was the "Port". Or that's what they called it anyway. It was a multifaceted builing containing lockers, change rooms, wash rooms, a bar, a short order eatery and a bank of outdoor showers. It would even sell you towels, sunscreen and the like. At the bar she studied the menu and eventually ordered a scrambled egg and avocado wrap and a virgin pina colada. She paid the attendent and turned away, enjoying that first bite. That first bite would be all she would get however as she ran into another person. Her floppy hat smooshed into her eyes. Her pina colada spilled all down her chest. Her face buried in a hairy chest, a sweaty hairy chest. She shuddered and cringed at the idea of a face full of someone else's sweat, or at least she would have if she hadn't been full on choking on her avacado and egg wrap. Her eyes grew wide, partly because of the lack of air movement and partly because she recognized the showboating runner from before. As she fell backwards from the contact, the man shot out an arm, grabbing her around the small of the back and pulling her back to her feet.

"Woah, easy there." Said the man. "Are you alright?"

Seaforthian, thought Camryn. Helus-damned people where everywhere. She couldn't speak so she just shook her head and mimed to her throat. It seemed forever to get the stupid Seaforthian to recognize she was choking. When the two electrons bouncing around his brain finally struck each other and realization dawned, the man stood behind her and performed the required abdominal thrusts, covering her back in more sweat and pina colada. She could feel herself passing out. With one last great thrust from the man, the offending chunk of avacado flew out and she hungrily sucked in air.

"Well that'll wake you up. You alright lass?"

Camryn whirled on the man, slapping his shoulder to punctuate her sentences.

"AM I ALRIGHT! YOU DAMN OX! YOU ALMOST KILLED ME!"

Raising his hands in surrender, the man backed off and continued on his way to the outdoor showers. Gathering her belongings Camryn followed. As the man entered the nearest shower Camryn chose the one farthest away. She cast evil glares at the man as she washed off the sweat and pina colada. Without so much as a word she finished up and stomped passed the man not even looking at him as she returned to her car.

As she approached her car she saw something didn't look right. Walking around to the other side, she discovered a flat. Dropping her things on the ground she screamed in frustration and lack of sleep.

"MOTHERFUCKER!"

"Something vexes thee?" A voice inquired.

Another Seaforthian she swore. No, the same one she realized as she turned. At least he had put a shirt on.

"Can I help you?"

"I can change a damn tire."

"I'm sure you can, but I was talking to the car. Please don't hurt it."

Camryn rolled her eyes at what had to be the stupidest line she had ever heard. None the less, she clicked the button to pop the truck and waved the man to his work. In a few minutes the tire was changed and the man had returned everything to her truck. With a smile and a wave he then walked away, bidding her to drive safe. Camryn started the car and drove away from the beach only to realize a few minutes later that she hadn't even asked him his name. Arriving at home she stripped out of her beachwear and texted her sister.

"I hate the Helus-damned beach."

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 01:36:10 AM »
Seabrooke Hospital, East Moreland

Camryn Hopkins had returned to work, yesterday's beach incident already fading from her mind. Sort of. Pushing the incident from her for the 27th time,
she studied the xrays before her. The hip was definately dislocated and they would have to do a concious sedation and reduction. She left the office attached to the ER and went to the nurses station where she interrupted the pair of ER nurses takling low and giggling.

"We need to prep D for a sedation and reduction." Said Camryn.

"It's out?" Asked the nurse.

"Yeah. Give her another 5mg of Morphine now and we will do the sedation with 0.5mg/kg Ketamine."

"Sure thing Doc. We also have another in C. Glass in his forearm, probably need some sutures. You're already set up."

Camryn nodded and picked up the chart from C. Passing over the demographics, she went straight to the nurses assessment. Seemed straight forward. The patient slid on his hardwood floor after stepping out of the shower and broke his fall with his left arm. On a mirror. Camryn set down the chart and washed her hands and slipped on her surgical gloves. As the second nurse held back the curtain, she breezed into Exam C and introduced herself.

"Good evening, I'm Doctor Hopkins. So tell me what happened?"

"I put my arm through a mirror." Said the man.

Camryn glanced up sharply at the Seaforthian accent. Dammit, it was him. Again.

"We just keep seeing each other, eh?"

"It appears we do Mr.....?"

"Andrew."

"Mr. Andrews."

The man chuckled

"No, no. I mean my name is Andrew. You can call me Andrew."

"Very well Andrew. Let me see that arm."

With obvious skill and dexterity, Camryn examined the wound. Eventually she froze the site with Lidocaine and removed a large piece of mirror from his arm. With the site still frozen she thoroughly cleaned the wound before suturing him back up. The whole time Andrew continued to try to make small talk though she politely rebuffed him. The procedure finished, she snapped off her gloves and tossed them in the trash.

"The nurse will be in to bandage that and give you a tetanus shot."

She barely heard the "Thanks Doc" as she hurried out of the room.

A hour and a half later, her shift finally over, Camryn changed out of her scrubs and into street clothes. Her stomach growling, she picked up a coffee for the way home. Her car, unfortunately was in the shop so she had to wait for the bus. At the coffee kiosk she dumped in two packets of sugar and two cream, stirring it until it reached the right colour. Out of the corner of her eye she saw the Seaforthian, Andrew approaching...all smiles. She rolled her eyes at him, but couldn't help but give him the briefest of smiles back.

"Evening Doc. Wanted to thank you for fixing my arm."

"Your welcome, but it's my job. What did you do wait here for two hours?"

"Nah, just one and a half. The girls at the front were kind enough to tell me when your shift was done."

"I will have to thank them for giving away my schedule to every Tom, Dick and Harry that asks."

"Andrew. Every Tom, Dick and Andrew that asks."

"Right. Well, your welcome Andrew. Have a good night."

As Camryn turned to leave, Andrew took two quick steps to catch up and walk with her."

"So what's your name?"

"Why do you want to know?" Asked Camryn.

"Well, if your going to have dinner with me, I can't really call you Doctor all night."

Camryn laughed

"Why not?"

"It's not very personable, now is it?"

"But what if I'm not very personable?"

"Well that's what the dinner is for, isn't it? To give us a chance to be personable?"

Camryn and Andrew walked through the doors and out onto the street. Camryn stopped at the bus stop and as Andrew saw the bus round the corner and drive towards them, he tried one last time.

"One dinner. Just one dinner and that will be that....it's got to be safer than a breakfast wrap."

"I'm not hungry."

No sooner had she said that, than her stomach growled long and loud.

Camryn started laughing as she ducked her head and covered her eyes with her hand. When the growling stopped she looked back up at Andrew. Andrew didn't say a word, just shrugged his shoulders at her, palms up and arms spread wide. Smiling in a 'What do you want to do?' manner.

"Camryn...my name is Camryn." She said as she continued smiling. "You're driving."

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 05:47:28 AM »
LUNCH BREAK
Holy Empire Of Achkaerin

Lunch was a pleasant break from the discussions, one where Andrew and Peter were able to discuss things other than matters of state and delve into personal interests as well as feel each other out. In a very real way, it would be a new Seaforth that would deal with the Emperor. Clearly Andrew was a Rhodes, cut from the same cloth as his Uncle Josiah and Cousin Joshua...though he differed in some important ways. Where Joshua was passionate, Andrew was stoic. Where Joshua tended to instinct, Andrew was thoughtful and pragmatic. Even in looks they differed significantly with Joshua more closely resembling his ancestor Prince Gabriel, the Wolf of Seaforth and Andrew channeling the bear like qualities of Erik Rhodes. Old King Josiah has even referred to them as the Wolf and the Bear when they were younger.

Andrew, for his part, allowed Countess Harper to continued to lead the conversation. It gave him the opportunity to observe the Emperor as he interacted with his staff and the Seaforth delegation. The only kingly things he knew were from his uncle and cousin, neither of whom were king for more than two years and all three of them were actually career military officers. Andrew wondered himself what it would be like to be prepared from birth to be King. Perhaps he could glean something from the Emperor. Or in time just ask him how he did it, pass it on to his own children. At the thought of children his mind drifted back to Camryn Hopkins, the young doctor from East Moreland. Things were still in the early stage of the relationship, if you could even call it a relationship at this time, but he was having fun and talking to her almost every day. He was secretly thrilled she was so wrapped up in her job and didn't have time for politics, especially not foreign politics. She still thought he was just an officer in the army. That wouldn't last of course, but he would deal with that soon enough.

As he thought, Harper caught him smiling to himself, half zoned out.

"What are you smiling about?" She asked as she nudged him.

"Nothing."

"Nothing? Must be a pretty good nothing, smiling like that."

"Maybe."

"It wouldn't have anything to do with checking your phone every hour on the way up here, would it?"

Andrew chuckled at being found out and surrendered without much of a fight.

"I will tell you about it later."

Harper smiled in triumph.

"So long as you tell me about it aren't just saying it to end the conversation. Come on, were are getting back to it."
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 06:19:59 AM by Rhodes »

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 08:02:02 PM »

The Seaforth Royal Council was in session. Sat around a table in the recesses of Seaforth Castle, the representative of the College of Arms has just departed, confirming that according to the ancient Seaforth law and DNA evidence, Raymond Lothar Cameron was in fact a member, by birth, of the Seaforth Nobility and the last known member of House Cameron. What remained to be discussed was did the old laws still apply with Andrew's restoration of the Peerage.

"Do we do it?" Asked Duchess Kira Fallstaff. "He is the son of Richard and Alys...he is what, 7 years old?"

"Yes, seven." Confirmed Duke Thorin Crow. "It may not matter much now, but will it destabilize Seaforth in the future? Will he challenge your children Andrew? Or should Marissa deem it otherwise, will he cause trouble for young Josiah?"

Ulysses Scott, Duke of Strathcona spoke next:
"As far as I am concerned, both lines are valid. King Fergus had two children. A son who fathered King Lachlan II and  daughter that Married Duke Erik Rhodes and began the Cameron-Rhodes line, which we refer to simply as House Rhodes. Alys is correct that the boy cannot rule Seaforth, so Andrew's reign is securred. We must simply choose the best future path and deal with this problem."

"I do not make war on children." Said Joshua Rhodes, Duke of Somerset.

"Neither do I." Replied Ulysses. "Richard was dangerous and had to be eliminated, but if we make the right choices we won't have to do that with Raymond."

King Andrew steepled his fingers in thought. Blowing out a puff of breath, he looked to Duke McKenna

"James? What are your thoughts?"

"I think eliminating the boy is decidedly off the table."

Nods of agreement came from around the table.

"I think we have to ackowledge him. House Cameron has not died and may rise again to bless the realm with the like of our past Kings. Maybe there is another Ulric in that line somewhere's. Until then, Andrew, Joshua and possibly Harper may ensure the lines of Jocelyn and Ulric both continue."

"I'm not married yet, James." Laughed Andrew.

"No, but we all see the way you look at that East Moreland girl."

"He looks that way because there aren't enough crayons in Seaforth to help explain to him what she's saying." Countered Joshua.

Andrew flushed as he waited for the laughter to die down around the table.

"Yes, yes...she's much smarter than I am. Poor dumb Andrew doesn't know what he's got himself into. Well if you are all so bright, what title do we grant young Raymond? Any suggestions?"

As the Royal Council dissolved into thought and discussion about what title to grant the boy, Duke McKenna went to a side table and poured himself a class of water. Sipping thoughfully, he made his way back. Placing the glass down with a heavy cluck he uttered a word.

"Rutherford."

"I like it." Said Duchess Fallstaff. "It's on traditionally Cameron lands and of a modest size. Past association with the crown, but not too close, either."

"Very well." Nodded Andrew. "Raymond Cameron, Baron Rutherford. Now what about Alys?"

"No. No title." Said McKenna. We can ackowledge her as the exiled Grand Duchess of Marseille, but grant her no Seaforthian titles....unless...."

"Unless what, James?"

"There could be an exchange of titles. If she succeeds, even a little bit in restoring herself to rule of Marseille....we could declare a Seaforthian as holding the title to Troyes. Present it as fait accompli."

"What is the title of Troyes?"

"That I don't actually know. There would be one for the city, but as the capital of the province, a claim to Duke of Orleans could be made. That person would technically be one of the the three Dukes, including Normandy and Marseille, under the Grand Duchess."

"Four if Aquitaine survives as a separate entitly under a restored Grand Duchess." Interjected Joshua.

"Could be a decent position for a future move against the Grand Duchess, or the installation of Raymond as a client ruler."

"I like this more and more." Said Andrew. Smiling, he poured a round of whisky for the Royal Council, signalling the end of the meeting. Raising his glass, the Dukes and Duchess stood and raised thiers as well.

"To Baron Rutherford." He intoned and then drank down the whisky.

"Baron Rutherford." Repeated the council, and downed thier own drinks.

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 09:13:05 PM »

Following the Spice Harvest, Alys Arsenault had flown back to Seaforth. She missed her little Raymond terribly, but the danger to his life meant hiding him from those that would hurt him. The long flight did give her something precious however, time to think. Andrew was more clever than she had imagined and had boxed her out of Troyes fairly quickly, though she wasn't done there...and one or two moves could pay off at a latter date.

Speaking of dates, she though to herself, Brassicus II was a totally unexpected development...the potential...the power. He was an interesting little man...and the possibilites there were endless. Idly she mulled over the idea of the Trans-Albion Empire. One to rival any entity on Mundus....but that was the long game. She read Brassicus' invitation again, and sent off a quick acceptance. She had things to do in Seaforth first.

Undisclosed Location In Seaforth

The small country cemetery was quaint. Tall trees in red and gold walled in the residents, their leaves blanketing the ground and obscuring the stones. It was, in a word, rustic...and a far cry from where the person she came to see grew up. There was no need to read the stones as she walked, she knew exactly where she was going. She had visited many times over the past couple of years, spending many hours talking to the silent stone marking the grave of the person she both knew intimately and not at all, searching for...answers? No. Something else. Something she didn't know yet.  Reaching the gravesite, she kneeled down and brushed the leaves away from the headstone.

"Well, it's me again." Said Alys. "I can't stay and talk to today, but I wanted to see you. Things are moving fast, now. So much to do."

Standing back up she brushed the debris off her legs and contemplated the stone for another minute or two, gazing at the Seaforthian spelling. So troubled, the young woman had finally succumbed to her demons. Alys hoped in death, she found the peace she never could in life...but she could offer a small peice of that now.

"Don't worry, love. I will look after Raymond for you."

Dropping the roses she carried onto the stone, "Alys" turned and headed back.

Arc-Royal Bene Gesserit Gaelscoil

His mother had taken him to start a new school deep in the Seaforth country. She held his hand as they were shown the grounds and the classrooms and dorms. It was scary and exciting all at the same time. He knew momma would leave him there. It was ok, she often left...but she always came back when she said she would. Well, except for that one time. She was gone for a very long time then. But when she did finally come back things were so much better. They would read together, they would play together. Momma didn't sleep all day anymore.

The people at the school showed him all around. The playgrounds, the classrooms, the bunk houses. It was going to be like a camping school, all year round! Raymond was very excited to start school and make all the friends...just like the cartoons on TV. Momma hugged him tight before she left and promised to write. He knew she would, and he vowed to learn as fast as he could so he could write back. This was gong to be an awesome year!