Author Topic: To Replace A Traitor  (Read 2116 times)

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
To Replace A Traitor
« on: June 14, 2018, 11:17:50 PM »
It had been several months since Alex Redfern had been at Red Legion's HQ, his unit had been involved in a few "discreet" operations on behalf of Rokkenjiman intelligence but it seemed that was now over and so Redfern had been rotated back to Aldfield along with his Hunter Team. The Hunter's were the base units of the elite Legion, Alex's was made up of his faithful Sergeant Olly Thomas one of the most experienced operators in Red Legion, and therefore as far as Redfern was concerned one of the best on Mundus. There was then Corporal Thomas Barks, a man who firmly believed there was no problem on Mundus that could not be solved by the correct application of High Explosives, and he'd solved many a problem in exactly that way. The final member of the team was Legionnaire Tom Saxby something of an oddity in Red Legion that he had at one point been an Airmen in the Air Force rather than taking the usual Red Legionnaire route of Army or Marine service. The problem was they were a man down, James Gillespie the lieutenant that Redfern had firmly believed would one day fill his shoes had turned out to be a Bene Gesserit, a traitor who had probably helped those Truthsayers attack East Moreland. He'd not been seen in months now and his name had just a week ago been removed from the roll of honour listing those who had passed what was considered Mundus' most challenging Special Forces Selection test. Brigadier Kelly had called Alex into his office as he'd seen him stroll through the gate, his customary duffle bag slung over his shoulder. "Prince Alex," the Brigadier teased using the fake title his colleagues gave him since marrying the King's sister. "Office"

"Yes boss" Alex dropped his bag in with the guys on the front desk and made his way through to the Commanding Officers realm. He took the low seat opposite the grizzled old veteran without being asked and waited for Kelly to hand him the cup of coffee that always came with these chats.

"We've binned Gill....he never existed, he never will exist if I get my blood hands on him." the Brigadier had, just as Alex had, believed that Gillespie would be a future leader of the unit, the man had won medals for bravery for Helus sake so how could he have been such a traitor. It was a matter that had provoked a lot of soul searching among many in the Legion's ranks. "So you're a man light, you've also been busy so I know you need to get your shit back together. As it stands then I'm making your team the oversight for the next round of selection, as you know its a double edged sword, it'll mean a lot of physical stuff, but frankly you're looking a little more tubby....all that married Palace living taking its toll?" Kelly was in on the joke the men where that since being married Alex was getting soft, following Freya around to royal functions. In truth Alex looked as fit as he had ever done. "So you'll get chance to get back in shape, and you get the pick of the litter.....well from the officers anyway."

"Oh thanks" Alex knew Selection Oversight was an important role but he didn't particularly like it as it meant sitting around and missing out on lots of potential action. Yes you were the standby unit for any emergency or things like hostage rescues but it meant no day to day deployments. "We got any good ones coming in?" Alex asked knowing the Brigadier would have scanned the applications himself.

"A couple at least." He said dropping a sugar cube into his coffee adding some cream and then swirling his spoon to mix them. Alex leaned for the sugar bowl and found the old man's surprisingly quick reactions slid it just out of reach, "You need to cut down on sweet stuff.....its not done you any favours" he shook his head disapprovingly. "I've taken the liberty of having Thomas, Barks and Saxby assigned to help you out, figure they can help you get in the gym a little" Alex was about to protest but bit his tongue, he knew raising to the bait would only egg the lads on more but he was surprised that Kelly was in on it he generally rose above such childish mockery. The pair chatted about a few of the candidates and then Alex headed back towards his room, he passed one of the mirrors up in the halls to allow Legionnaires to check their uniform and found himself stood side on checking his profile, had he put weight on? He couldn't tell but heard sniggering from the far end of the hall and spotted Barks and Saxby, knowing what lay ahead he walked across the parade square to avoid them.

"YES....THE ANSWER IS YOUR ASS DOES LOOK BIG IN THAT......COS IT'S FUCKING HUGE!!!" He heard Barks yell from a window, Redfern carried on walking and just flicked the V's over his shoulder as he entered the corridor on the far side. "LOVE YOU TOO SIR" Barks voice drifted across through an open window. Alex unpacked his gear, put his picture of himself, Freya and their hopefully soon to be adopted little girl Evie on the wall before settling down to look through a selection of the officer candidates. It was getting dark by the time he'd finished and as he was considering what to do he heard a gentle knock on his door.

"Evening Al" Robbie Peacock one of his fellow officers was stood there, spotted you were back, fancy a beer" he asked. Alex indeed did and the two men headed back towards the gatehouse to sign out and stroll the short distance to the small towns local pub. It was a regular hang out for all the Legion and the owner, a sixty year old bald man, was a former Red Legionnaire himself who'd lost a leg to the Borlanders, on particularly rowdy nights he'd even challenge people to neck a leg full of beer but tonight the pub was quiet. "Howdy Tom" Robbie slid into a bar stool and began to order as the proprieter walked over only a slight limp giving away his injury. Robbie ordered a couple of beers and was informed that two of the customers sat by the fire place where heading for Selection the next day. All new recruits were ever told was that the Red Legion Barracks was in Aldfield, its exact location never given out, it was in essence the first test of a recruits skills of intelligence gathering. The locals of Aldfield, all of whom were fiercly proud to be the home of the unit and many of whom were veterans or widows, never gave the location out either.

"It's ok" Tom whispered leaning over the bar, "I told them its hidden away on that new industrial estate." the new industrial estate to the town did indeed look like a military complex, that was because at one time there had been talk of establishing a regular army training centre here that could also make use of the facilities in the local area Red Legion had but the plan had been scrapped and the site turned into small industrial units. The three men chuckled wondering whether the two men would indeed make it by the 8am deadline to be inside the base. Every selection a handful didn't make it, some missed trains, some got lost, one year they even had a lad who had turned up three minutes late because he'd been helping with a car accident, all of them were denied entry and sent home. After a few cheeky beers Robbie and Alex made their way back to the barracks. As they approached the guard house there was a shape slumped by the first guard post.

"Evening gents" the Legionnaire on guard duty grinned, "Keen and eager to join your merry band in the morning" the Lance Corporal pointed to the shape which was a man wrapped up in a sleeping bag on a camping matt. "Turned up about an hour ago, presented his joining instructions and was told he's too early and to piss off until tomorrow, proceeds to say he doesn't want to be late and so curls up here."

Alex poked the man with a boot. "Piss off" was all that came back, followed by an intake of breath as the cocoonesque shape slithered round, "Oh shit" the face showing in the bags hood exclaimed recognising Redfern. "Sorry Sir" he said. Alex squatted down to be at the same level.

"Name?" Alex asked in a rather stern tone.

"2nd Lt Joe Wolfe...Sir" the man was trying to undo the drawstrings of his sleeping bag to get out. "Sorry sir" he apologised again as Alex waved a hand telling him to not bother.

"You coming on selection? Your a little old for an officer" Alex observed

"I'm joining Red Legion yes sir" he said rather more confidently than he felt, "Was frightened I'd be late, or overlay or something so guessed if I was on your front door step then I'd got woken up by people coming past and wouldn't miss the deadline." he explained his situation. "And as for being old sir, thats because I worked my way up from the ranks so to speak. Was a little dumb in Seaforth and well, found myself at Officer Training, did good so figured why not see just how good I am." A broad grin spread across the mans face. "I can go away if this isn't allowed" he added sheepishly not wanting to make a poor impression.

"Nah" Alex stood up again. "Let him in" Alex instructed, "He can sleep in the brig" the Legions jail cells had never been used, except for when drunk officers not scheduled to be on base had turned up and needed somewhere to crash. The man followed Alex and Robbie inside and was shown one of the cells, they were old fashioned, still bars rather than a solid door, a wooden bench attached to the wall with a gym mat for a mattress, a silver metallic toilet in the corner. "It's not the Hilton but it's better than outside, you'll get a good nights sleep and you'll need it." Alex flicked the light off for the man as he settled down. "Well if we get a batch like him then I just may have something to work with. " He mused to Robbie as they headed back to their own rooms.

"Yeah....it'll be good you doing selection, safe pair of eyes.....and the exercise will do you good" he playfully tapped Alex in the stomach as he shut the door to his own room leaving Alex feeling once more a little self conscious.

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: To Replace A Traitor
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 11:29:57 PM »
It was the morning everyone was due to arrive and Brigadier Kelly liked to watch everyone come into the barracks. It was a well rehearsed scene and one he remembered from his own selection back in the depths of time. Those hoping to get selected would be meet at the gatehouse, signed in and issued some kit, they'd then be directed over to the Candidates Mess, a H shaped block that would be there home until they either messed up and got sent home or, for the very select few, they completed training. It was in a way demoralising as you were assigned a bed and over the weeks you saw the numbers dwindle after each day, it wasn't uncommon to be the only one in your little section of the H but you were still responsible for keeping the whole place neat and tidy. It was rather ironic as once in the elite Legion inspections and room cleaning became pretty much non existent. Kelly's office looked out onto the parade square the candidates would walk across as each arrived and went through the process, he'd stand there stiring his cup of tea served in a bright white china tea cup as though sizing them up. It was odd to see people's reactions, some would fix his gaze as though trying to show they were not intimidated while others would try and look anywhere but at him, he remembered one year he even had one candidate wave and drop all their gear, Kelly understood he failed the first day of selection but wasn't sure as he didn't involve himself in the selection process, that was why he had people like Redfern.

The first candidates would be allowed to arrive from 6am but at 8am the doors would be locked and no other candidates allowed in, Alex had already been for a run and weights session before making his way into the gatehouse. "Start the clock" Sgt. Olly Thomas said just as Alex walked in, there on the desk was a large digital timer which was showing the time down to 10th's of a second. The duty desk NCO, a veteran of the Legion with a hand missing unlocked the front door and already three men jumped to attention and made their way inside as Wolfe emerged from the Brig after his extremely early arrival.

"That's a good start" Alex perched on one of the back desks nursing a brew he'd just poured, they'd be expecting about 80 candidates, if they were lucky they'd get six, maybe seven Legionnaires from the selection course. The attrition rate was brutal but it had to be as the Red's believed they were honestly the most elite force on Mundus, even those who failed usually returned to their units as better soldiers and therefore the selection course improved the standard of the whole army. Alex nodded a friendly greeting to Wolfe as he was shown to the Quartermaster who began issuing the kit.

There was a steady flow of candidates over the next hour or so as people arrived in dribs and drabs, generally around ten minutes after the train had arrived. Some walked, some got cabs, Alex liked to tease those, "How much he charge you?" Alex asked one.

"Twenty Quid Sir" the Corporal from the Marines snapped to attention causing a few sniggers from the assembled Red's. They all knew the journey was no more than a fiver but in keeping with the idea of trying to keep a military base as secret as possible the taxi drivers always took a very circular route.  It was now getting close to the deadline and Alex had even found time to slip away and have a shower before returning with a slice of toast clutched in his hand.

"You got butter on that?" Barks asked him from his position sat on the front desk. "Butter's bad for you, wasted calories and you need to cut all the ones you can at the moment" The Corporal chastised his senior officer. "Fatty Redfern isn't a good example for these newbies" Barks shook his head walked over and quiet literally took the food from Alex's mouth as he went to take a bite of the fresh buttery toast. "You'll thank me" Barks said his mouth full of toast as Saxby and Thomas just stood laughing. Alex didn't have time to respond before they heard a loud roar of an engine outside. Alex and Saxby made their way outside and found a large black motorbike like a Harley Davidson being parked up. The rider carefully strapped his helmet to the back rest and unhooked his duffle bag from one of the hooks on the side of the tourer.

"Hi....I'm here for Red Legion selection" the man extended a hand and just got blanked by the pair of serving Reds. "That way is it?" the tall well spoken candidate asked.

"Erm...no....this is the rapid deployment exit.....you want to go left here, down the far end and left again" Saxby said trying to keep a straight face. The man thanked them and set off, as he turned the corner the pair went back inside and began laughing as they spotted three minutes left on the count. The group stood watching CCTV as the man realised there was no entrance, glanced at his watch and then sprinted back the way he'd just come, he bounced off the door as he barrelled into the office and fell onto the floor. "And.....he's.....safe" Saxby said mimicing a Baseball announcer as Thomas hit the button on the clock stopping it a just tick past the 8am cut off.

"Bastards" the panting recruit muttered.

"What?" Barks yelled at him lifting him up by the scruff of his leather jacket. "Listen here biker boy, you rock up last minute and act the idiot" he was leading him towards the door, "You capable of reading?" Barks pointed up to above the gatehouse where a list of various functions was listed one reading Candidates Sign In. "You miss the obvious then you get me killed....I don't like getting killed, tried it once and it was shite" He let go and walked back inside leaving the man outside wondering if this meant he'd been canned before even starting. He took a deep breath and made his way back inside.

He found a group of rather unmilitary looking types behind the desk, dressed in civilian attire he had no idea who any of them where until he recognised Alex Redfern, "Major Redfern, do I need to go home?" he asked nervously.

"Name?" Was all Alex said.

"Liutenant Tristan Rowe sir" there was a visible stiffening in the mans demeneur. Alex held a clipboard and scanned it as though reading the mans information determining whether it was worth keeping him, he even lifted up the first page, in reality he was reading the fire regulations but everything served a purpose. Alex was watching the man, did he seem concerned, did he seem like he would take being binned like a man or cry like a big girl.

"You Commander Rowe's boy?" Alex finally asked his brain having recalled a link with the name.

"Yes sir" Tristan's eyes didn't move from the spot he'd picked on the wall.

"Sure if you pissed off the Marines's would have a former aircraft carrier commanders son. They like family like that." Alex was onto page three of the fire regs telling him which extinguisher to use for different types of fire. "Say's here you have issues with time keeping..."

"Who said that sir?" the man interrupted, his eyes bulging immediately realising he'd probably just screwed up. It was far from the truth and the news had shocked Rowe.

"I did" Barks had vaulted the desk and was in the man's face, apart from Barks only came to the man's mid chest but the bulldog shaped NCO was still enough to force the recruit back on his heels. "Next time you get a time it could be to meet me to put effective fire on an enemy position while these retards conduct a strike. But your attention to detail sent you a few klicks the wrong way....now they're screwed and I'm screwed and that means I'd make it my mission in life to screw you......you'd like that though wouldn't you being a Navy brat." Barks turned and winked at his squadmates.

"Stand down Barks" Alex said calmly flinging the clipboard back onto the table behind the front desk. "Rowe I'll make this simple, I'll be running your selection. I operate a two strikes policy, first one you get a warning which Barks has just administered, get a second you can jump back on that bike and piss off......do we understand each other?"

"Yes sir" Rowe breathed a sigh of relief that he still had a chance. Redfern motioned for him to head through to the Quartermasters office.

As Rowe walked through the opening Saxby had lifted up on the front desk it was Barks who broke the silence. "Hey Rowe.....you watch the news yeah?" the nod confirmed that indeed Rowe did. "You know they say the camera adds ten pounds.....you reckon Alex here forgot to give it back now the cameras off him." The room burst out in laughter and a confused Rowe just put his head down and headed through to grab his kit.

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: To Replace A Traitor
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 12:23:25 PM »
They'd reached the half way point of the selection process and Alex Redfern believed they'd been far too comfortable, the sessions had of course been tough but he remembered back to his selection and the endless yomping through mud, trudging up the hills with streams of water coming the other way however these candidates had so far experienced perfect weather. He needed to take them out their comfort zone and today he had just the plan.

"Morning PT in five minutes" Sgt.Olly Thomas yelled into the recruits dorm, "Outside in your blue t-shirt, bring your red with you." he added before heading back and patiently starting his stop watch. Exactly five minutes later his partner in crime Cpl.Barks shut the door, two recruits still hurrying outside, they'd now be beasted by the Corporal and depending on performance allowed back the next day. The rest Olly formed up and took them for a run, they did a lap of the huge parade square, trundled past the camp commanders office and out the front gate. They headed right and made their way through the small towns main street, several passers by called out to the Sergeant, he'd lived in the town the last ten years and around 70% of Aldfield were either Red Legion veterans, their families or somehow connected to the unit. Many shouted disparaging remarks at some of the recruits, or even Sgt.Thomas who just seemed to take it in his stride, usually with some witty comeback. Soon they reached the town hall and noticed the windows had been blacked out.

"Morning gents" Major Alex Redfern appeared from inside, "Today we're doing something a little different, come on in" he waved as though inviting them to some kind of dinner party. Dutifully they stepped inside, the room was lit with the florescent lights a variety of bars, metal boxes, steps and other objects filled the room. Two long haired gents wearing a variety of brightly lit wristbands were sat chatting casually on top of the highest box, a series of five large steps leading to it. "This is Max and Jack, the East Moreland tag chase champions" the potential Reds looked at each other with a suspicion this was some kind of wind up. "If you wouldn't mind giving this sceptical lot a demonstration." The two hippy looking youths stood and stretched their limbs, Alex got a stopwatch and yelled "Go". Without any hestitation Max was off ducking and diving under bars, taking them in easy leaps and bounds, bouncing first one way then the other as he seemingly ricochet off objects all the time being chased by Jack, thirty seconds of frenetic kangarooesque activity and the Jack launched himself effortlessly over a barrier that Max had slid under and the pair came out the obstacle side by side, Jack swung a hand and tagged his buddy bringing the clock to a stop. "31.8 seconds...nice" Alex said handing the watch to Max. "What you just saw is a fun way of practicing parkour....or free running. Its a skill that is damn impressive.....and slightly insane" Max and Jack laughed. "Its a skill we don't have, none of us, unless Wolfe here had been hiding some secret gymnastics skills in that chunk frame."

"Takes one to know one" Sgt.Thomas called from the back of the group bringing a laugh.

Alex ignored his sergeants heckle. "As Red Legionnaires job is to constantly learn and develop new skills. Some of us in this room are expert marksman, some are skilled with communications equipment, some medical care. If I set you a test to develop these skills some have a head start. What I want to see is who can learn from scratch." He held up an arm pointing down the centre of the group. "Those to the left you move that way. Those to the right you move that way." they parted into two groups. "Sergeant make sure their equal teams." A few people were pushed and pulled into line, "Those on the right stay as you are, those on the left put on your other T-shirt"  the groups dutifully did as they were instructed. "Today is going to be simple, Max takes the Red shirt, Jack the blue, their giving you a morning of intense introduction. Then we play." the room filled with groans as Barks and Thomas began barking at their groups moving them off.

Alex sat on top of one of the boxes watching as the two youths drilled and taught some of the planets most elite soldiers, yet the candidates often looked like clowns, falling and slipping as they learnt how best to overcome obstacles. Alex was keen to see who got stuck in and who saw it as just a session to kill some. Young Rowe, the son of a naval officer was keen, he was listening carefully and Alex could see he was mentally running through the patterns of body movement they were being shown. Over the opposite side Joe Wolfe, the large powerhouse of a man was finding it hard, his 6ft 4 frame as not designed for this kind of nimble work and more often than not the sound of him cursing as he bounced off some obstacle filled the room. Yet each time he brushed himself down inspected a fresh bruise, laughed about it and tried again.

Soon the morning was gone and it was time for the competition. "We pick a person's name out the hat, they then pick who they think they can catch from the other side, you tag them you get a point, you avoid being tagged for a minute you get a point. Game on" One by one the candidates paired off in the mad game of glorified tig, jumping sprinting and chasing around the makeshift arena. Some of the guys were good, their dexterity improved since the morning. Joe Wolfe was the first to get selected by the opponents, his chase lasting all of five seconds before a small nimble ex Royal Marine tagged him by flying off a pair of bars. Tristin Rowe found himself chasing and showed an agility that you wouldn't have guessed to see in a person of his ungainly height. He caught his man with just one second to spare.

"10-10" Alex said looking at his watch. "Tie breaker time" he said but everyone had run. "Sgt.Thomas, your in" the Sergeant shook his head laughing.

"I'm too old for this" he grinned as he made his way to the masking tape start line. He waited for Redfern to call Barks over and was surprised when Redfern took off his hoody and revealed the opposite colour.

"Time to dance Sergeant" Alex said confidently.

"You sure you'll fit through those holes?" Thomas teased Alex about his weight as they had been doing for weeks now. It was true Redfern wasn't in his previous physical peak but he had in the words of Brigadier Kelly, "shifted a fair bit of timber."

"Winner buys drinks all night?" Alex offered and Thomas extended a hand to shake on the deal. The whistle blew and Thomas shot off leaping straight over a barrier, Alex slid underneath, used his right hand on the corner of a box step to lift himself upright and rounded the corner Thomas had just taken, the Sergeant aimed next to slip through a slot cut in a wooden board but he had to change direction, Redfern had taken a slightly wider angle and now homed in like a heat seeker, he practically rugby tackled the man to the ground before getting up. "Slow ass loser" Alex said as the Blue team cheered his victory. "Prize is the winner gets a lift home, the losers, you run.....the long way. Sgt. Slow ass down there will show you the way." Even Olly was laughing as the teams began to form up. "I'll see you in the pub Thomas" Alex said as he clambered into the mini bus, Thomas simply laughed, flicked him the V's and set off running with his losing team.