Author Topic: Realism Rulings  (Read 4602 times)

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Realism Rulings
« on: June 17, 2018, 12:53:49 PM »
Yesterday on our Discord we had a discussion among a few of us about maintaining realism in some technology. As a result I'd like to clarify my stance as RP Mod.

I see the issue come in three parts.

1. Prototype Tech.
2. Fictional Tech
3. Theoretical Tech

1. Prototype Tech

I have always stood with the idea that any prototype tech we want to use should be able to go into production tomorrow. So for example the Northrop Grumman X-47 is still not in service however it has completed a large number of test flights and its testing programme was completed. Therefore the model could have entered service probably sometime this year, the only reason it hasn't is because of budget reasons etc. So it shall forever probably remain as a prototype. This is acceptable as technology to be used in our region.

On the other hand the AVIC AG600 has completed one flight ever, therefore to have it in full production would be unreasonable. The aircraft could have a whole range of serious issues we don't know about. As a result nations are more than welcome to RP its development but full production would not be permitted. This is a case of what I would call a borderline case.

On the other hand, things like railguns are a LOOOOoooonnnggg way from being serviceable, the most effective one at the moment is one that no RL ship could use in a battle situation as it takes far too long to recharge based on the ships powerplant. Therefore again this is something that can be developed but can not be in service.

2. Fictional Tech

What I mean by this is things that are not present in our world but don't look out of place. For example using this;

But with the stats of the F-22 Raptor would be permitted. I am always more than happy to check whether tech fits realism if people wish.

What I also don't mean by fictional tech is stuff like for example nuclear powered assault rifles (I've seen them in other regions). That wouldn't get past the checks at all.

3. Theoretical Tech

This is things like for example Rods From Gods (I'll let Kris do the Math). They are not classed as realism and as such until you can provide me actual reputable evidence that they would work, and by that I mean an article from a good source (not wikipedia) where somebody with a knowledge of the subject categorically says its doable.

I hope this clarifies the stance. Please feel free to use this thread to ask any questions about tech you think may be an issue.

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Seaforth
Re: Realism Rulings
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 01:19:20 PM »
Maybe a note about “abandoned tech/modernized tech”, as in old tech and old experimental tech given a new life. Like aircraft from the 60’s given an overhaul and modern stats say something like “my nation made the YF-12 in the 60’s and continued down that path”. So here is the Block V, 2018 Version.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Re: Realism Rulings
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 01:22:03 PM »
I'd class that as fictional tech and have no issue with that approach however I'd take into account things like who it is and stats they give it. So for example if East Moreland were doing it then I'd see no issue as we have EMAC who I've RP'd as having a great tech pedigree. On the other hand if say Nemerie had done it I'd be saying no as a micro-nation with no industry of that sort claimed it that would be unreasonable.