Author Topic: Festival of Sail 2018  (Read 9826 times)

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Re: Festival of Sail 2018
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2018, 12:22:12 AM »
Catriona had to smile at the boo's, she didn't mind playing the pantomime villain it was all in good fun and Sir Alan was a man she had great respect for.

"I'm afraid I'm looking to talk about something a little more delicate than your majestic piece of engineering brilliance." Catriona said with a nod towards the Ekrabadger, she took a deep breath "Just over a year ago I got a rather disturbing message that Kaitaine had pulled one over every major defence player on Mundus with that Zircon of theirs. We were asked to in the words of the Ministry of Defence 'level the playing field' we've done a lot of talking both in house and domestically and a lot of theorizing, but I'm reminded that there's fast and then there's EMAC fast. Can you help?"

Anja was also smiling at Samuelson

"I am proud of the ship and crew Minister." Anja said "It's our first time at this festival usually Yuki Tyler and the Sharingan get this gig but they're otherwise occupied at the moment so here we are. I must admit the festival is so much more than I was told it was, though attending the gala dinner has got me quite nervous."

Peter and Renee hadn't approached Freya, Alex and Evie preferring instead to keep their distance and not overwhelm the youngster it had been quite the moment to witness and Peter always being curious about such things had enjoyed the opportunity to observe something like this. The one advantage was that like the previous year when it had been Freya and Alex's wedding he had Claire present who being a Cultist herself had explained things as the ceremony had progressed. Still though the father in him was suddenly at odds with the diplomat in him, he was happy for them but he knew better than to take a young child out of her comfort zone.

Peter took a couple of steps forwards looking at Alex and Freya, the pair did have a talent for making the festival interesting - married last year, this thing with Evie this year, it did beg the question what was going to happen next year didn't it?

"I'm told there's a really good ice cream place on the dockside would you like to join us?" Peter asked
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:11:08 AM by Achkaerin »

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Republic of Québec
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2018, 01:41:55 PM »
"It is ideal circumstances you speak of Fraser and it should most of the time be the case, however the Queen of Attica is in a dire situation to save her people and Royal family from eternal doom; who knows what might happen if Prince Carlos and herself decide pursue into a much deeper relationship, as true love would then considered to be an added bonus; it has happened Before several times and may happen again considering it's a timeless phenomena and never fixed on a constant point. " the Cardinal replied, Before the table chuckled as a result of Fraser's story about King David's road to romance rejection and the Morelander customs surrounding the art of drinking.

"Thanks, hopefully I'll remember most of them unless the effects of fine spirits start to affect my cognitive abilities hehe, though I suspect it wouldn't be a concern as we Favas are quite resilient surprisingly speaking...In any case Fraser, may I inquire about the status of the Alba Karinyan continent so far any new events popping up? All neighbours behaving properly I hope?" he asked.

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2018, 11:55:22 PM »
OOC- Moving towards the banquet

Sir Alan had clambered down to Catriona's level. "What your talking of is the Zircon right." he said, "Now levelling the playing field is one thing but for that you need sensors, software and other shenanigans, thats where you should be talking to Martin Dawson and his team at SmartWar. If your essentially thinking trying to go toe to toe with the Zircon then you need to realise everyone is well off the mark. While the rest of us played about with tech to defeat sensors such as stealth casings, absorbent materials and the like the Kiatiane guys went for pure straight line speed. But this is where you're coming at it from the wrong tact, there are two ways to sink a ship using an anti-ship missile, one is speed, the other is guile. While your trying to outsprint the fastest missile on the planet, we're outmanouvering if. Take our spearhead missile, Mach 3, so no sloth, but flies a unique pattern and contains two kinetic impactors. So essentially in the final run in the ship suddenly goes from needing to follow one target to three. What worries us therefore is not speed, its range. If we imagne the reports are true and Zircon is a 1000km killing machine then we've got to find Spearhead an extra 500km. Now as an aeronautical engineer you give me the choice between finding you 2300 mph or finding an extra 500km of range then I know which I'm doing. It'll take a good five years to hit at find the 2300mph at least, then you need to work out how to not sacrifice range. Meanwhile I'll have found the 500km within the next two years. You want to go toe to toe with the Zircon you don't fight them where their strongest. Now, who knows Spearhead Five or something may hit Zircon speeds, but what you want is to close a gap, two years or five, thats your choice."

Alex and Freya were about to head of towards the ice cream, it was however Rebecca who stopped them. "We've not long til the banquet" she whispered, "and we've got to get Evie here over to the baby-sitter" who in this case was going to be the Osman's.

"Sorry Evie, Sorry Your Majesty" Alex said, "Perhaps another time" he suggested. Alex and Freya kissed their new daughter goodbye and she headed off towards what would likely be an evening of causing mayhem with Rhiannon at her mothers. "Thank you for the offer" Alex said once more, "We suppose we'll have to start getting her used to the spotlight a little now, but she's a tough kid" Alex remembered them making he raft on the island they'd meet on and had to admit she had been a different kid back then. "Perhaps we can have a glass together at the banquet" Alex extended a hand before he and Freya headed off to get changed.

Fraser was mindful of the time, he would be expected to be at the banquet but he wasn't that fond of them, he'd have prefered to simply prop up the bar, enjoy a few drinks and make merry. "Only problem we seem to have is Academica, my niece I know has plans there but the sooner its sorted out the better" Fraser explained, "Messes with constitutional congresses, peace and reconciliation tribunals, referendum, election. I imagine Freya is going to love all that" the family chuckled, "Beyond that nothing much to report." Fraser concluded, soon it was time for the family to say their goodbyes as they too had to get ready for the banquet.

That evening

The Portworth Naval Bases Officers Mess was no stranger to banquets, it had however been almost fifty years since they had hosted a Royal one. There had of course been the wedding of Freya and Alex last year but that had been hastily thrown together and paled into insignificance in terms of the precision this required. A man dressed in a black pin stripe suit down the length of the long table, he was followed by a Naval officer who in turn had a number of young naval ratings in his wake. Royal Chamberlain Sir Felix Rodgers had been the Chamberlain to the royal family for 15 years and in the household staff for 50 of his 72 years. He stopped and with a white glove picked up one of the silver pieces of cutlery twisting it this way and that before simply handing it without a word to the Naval officer who then passed it like a hot potato to the first rating who slipped it into a pocket and took a new knife from one of the many boxes his comrades were carrying, the new knife was passed up the conveyor belt and Rodgers inspected it, paused for a moment before placing it back on the crisp white tablecloth. He examined it again for a while and then with a single finger gave it the slightest nudge on the handle to line it up with the precision that would make a naval pilot proud.

In the kitchen the Naval Chefs were hard at work, a traditional Moreland dinner being prepared, some wild guinea pate to start, then a nice cod dish, before the ever popular Game Pie that the nation adored before finishing off with a creme brule and then a cheeseboard with the Port. Outside the various guests were being entertained by a trio of young Royal Marine musicians, two playing acoustic guitars and one singing. Stewards in black jackets mingled between them handing out glasses of bucks fizz while others catered to more demanding guests. Freya and Alex seemed to have borne the brunt of much of the greeting, Alex now in the famous Red Jacket of his beloved Red Legion while Freya stood next to him in the rather less bright khaki of the 2nd Light Scouts, equally as proud to wear the uniform. As each guest arrived, no matter whether the Emperor of Achkaerin or some minor East Moreland noble they were greeted the same, Alex and Freya handed them a drink, bid them welcome and handed them a commemorative port glass. "You'll need that later" Freya advised them all. It bore the Festival of Sail logo, while underneath it had in Morelandish the words, " A token of our respect to a special guest" and then the King's signature.

There was a ringing of a ships bell. "Your Majesties and Highnesses, Lords and Ladies, distinguished guests. Dinner is soon to be served, please be seated for the arrival" Chamberlain Rodgers announced from the dining room entrance and then waited for everyone to filter in. Each guest had been allocated a seat (OOC- Sit where the hell you want if I don't mention you specifically.) and would be expected to conform to the seating plan which Rodgers had put together based on years of experience. Once everyone was in place the ships bell rang again. "Please be upstanding for His Royal Majesty King David, third of his name, monarch of East Moreland and his guest the Lady Stasya Pelagiya, Lady in waiting to the Queen of Lodja" the room stood and the Morelanders clapped politely as David entered his arm linked with Stasya's. He was for once wearing his crown, something he didn't really enjoy and he believed it looked out of place with his own Alpine Cadre black uniform. Stasya meanwhile looked elegant, a pale blue dress that swept the floor, a gold coloured scarf around her neck trailed half way down her back. They made their way to the head of the table and David took his seat first, nobody at such banquets where permitted to sit until the King had and once he was joined by Stasya everyone else resumed their seat. Moments later the door opened and a nervous looking Royal Marine officer, looking like he had just come out of basic training marched forward, a Silver Drinking Cup in his hand. He stopped before the tables began and placed the cup on the side table.

"Your Majesty I present the Parting Glass" the officer announced loudly. He then picked up a bottle of port which sat ready opened at the side of the table. "A long time ago the people of East Moreland united behind King Robert the Unifier. At the battle of Greenflowers they carried the day, that evening Robert knew that his task of creating a land of good was not over and tasked his men to carry themselves to their homes and if neccessary continue to fight to bring his dream to fruition. As they sat around the campfire many knew they would never meet again and so as each readied themselves for the work ahead they stood, raised a glass to their friends and proposed a toast, before disappearing into the night." He poured a measure into the silver cup. "We remember that, and as each of us feels the need to retire, to leave our friends both old and new we too wish them well." He raised the silver cup, "To friends old and new, to His Majesty King David and to the land of East Moreland. May the Gods Watch Over you and all your homes know peace" He drained the cup, used the cloth on standby to clean it and then performed a smart about turn before marching out.

"Just remember" Alex said from the middle of the table is a quiet tone, "you only use it when your leaving, not when nipping to the loo. We had a guy at one mess dinner who nearly passed out he was so drunk, every time he went for a leak he was toasting, some daft bugger told him you had to fill the thing too." Alex and the King smiled as they remembered the thoughts of that evening back when both had been in the Alpine Cadre.

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Neu Uburzis
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2018, 08:30:23 PM »

The ships had been busy. Quite a couple teens had lined up this year, and all four ships where full of teens and one Professor ready to get a sea fight going. While the ships slowly maneuvered out of the harbor and into more open waters, the crew had already started briefing their guests on the cannons:

"You are going to get a chance to fire and load the cannons, for security reasons we can not allow you on the rudder or the sails." The Captain explained, while some example Paint loads where brought up:

"The cannons are built to be a bit tedious to load, just like an original cannon. Powdermonkeys, usually our smallest, run from the Hold to fetch new loads. since it takes a bit of practice, and i am sure you want to operate the canons, we will give all of you a go on the cannons."

The instructions lasted roughly an hour, before a horn was sound from all four Galleons:

"Everybody on their Station!" the captain yelled:
"Enemy on the Horizon, Starboard get read, we are going in Hard!"

All hell broke loose, while the cannons where constantly loaded, it was obvious most guest teens somewhat struggled to keep up wit the timing, while up the saisl where turned and tilted, roped in and opened in fluid motion. almost like ants criss crossing over the crews worked together in union, avoiding showing a broad side to the other four ships.
Though everyone who got paint splattered one by one stopped doing their part, and stood down. the workload getting more frantic.
"Move it!" the captain yelled: "Give us a full broad side!" and the cannons did. The SG one had maneuvered between the SG Six and 17, now getting bombarded from both sides while they just had their cannons being loaded, a roaring yell from the crew as the crew of the SG 1 was completely splattered all over.
"Good job everyone, but take..." the captain said, before loudly yelling: "EVADE!" he rudder being strongly tilted, cursing her breath: The SG 18 had them pinned down from the other side, while the 17 emerged back from behind the now defeated SG1:
"FIRE AT WILL!" she yelled, giving the last struggling order, as the paint cannons roared and hissed:
"Heads down!" was her last order, before they themselves got in to the cross fire of sg 17 and 18, the crew being all over painted.
"Stand down" The captain ordered, sweeping away paint from her face: "Good job everyone."

It would take roughly another hour, and the guests where offered to shower on board or wait until they arrived back at port. The crews calmed down, starting to clean the ship, while the Captain walked over to the Professor:

"Hope you don't mind staying painted for a bit. I think a Picture with you and the crew still covered in the mud from the battle would be even more impressive." While handing her a tricorn hat.

Albrecht had changed into a fresh silken Tunic and bright Purple Toga, sporting a silver Oak wreath, next to him, Julian tried to make himself as small as possible.
He felt uncomfortable in a Silken Tunic these days. When he was young, sure. Silk and taffeta where the cloths he would wear in the mud and no one did bat an eyelash, but some years as Convict Cadet changed his mind quite a bit. The bright Orange of the Youth Senate he Wore didn't exactly make his appearance subtle either, and he had to fight the itch of the Grapevine Wreath on his head:

"How can you wear these wreaths all of the time." he said, glancing at Albrecht:

"It's practice." the Prince Regent answered. He had picked a seat not to close to David, but still not among simple Moreland Ministers. Wondering who was seated next to him.

Offline Prince_Leuk

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Principality of Luuxland
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2018, 04:11:14 AM »
Prince Leuk and Princess Sehrra filed in and took three seats beside the last that had been taken. Leuk's Nephew was supposed to be here, but had been redirected to Cabagelandiet to attend the funeral. As he pulled the seat out for his wife and placed his son in the seat between them his new cross glinted in the light from the other wrist. His clothing was much more formal, but under his slacks the same ragged old boots showed themselves, a piece of his fashion he refused to change for anything no matter how his wife pleaded. "The tree can never take off its roots no matter how tall it grows" he would say to her as they got dressed for any occasion.

They sat quietly as the banquet began and looked with a great curiosity at all of the Morelander doings. He'd occasionally look down at little Leuk whenever he made a childish comment or question and chuckled or answered him while Sehrra told him "shhhh".

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2018, 07:38:40 PM »
Julian found the little Princeling next to him more appealing to deal with than all the important ministers and what nots. He couldn't help but make some funny faces towards the young royal seated between his Parents. Julian observed the christian symbols then tilting his hand, he actually had no real clue who these people actually where:

"Excuse me, your Majesty?" he said, a smile being plastered on his face hiding away his nervousity:
"I have to admit, i am not too sure where you country is. I don't recognize the land Luxland from Geography if i am to be honest."
Though every then and now Julian sneaked another funny face for the little princeling in.

Albrecht on the other hand leaned back and waited for the food, now that everyone was seated, it probably wasn't too long.

Back in the Port a small Backery was turning into a little banquet of their own. Several Lines of Benches and Tables had been Set up, and Sailors from the Schnapsdrossel and the four Schoolships alike poured into the makeshift Terrace, the smell in the air full of fresh bread, and game.

Admiral Eidmeier had coaxed her Ex Lover and husband of two of her daughters to help out, and serve a variety of a fish on a stick or a Game Stew for the hungry sailors, along with fresh bread. Making sure there where enough free seats if any guests where brought along. Seeing as the Teens that had been on the ships where invited, still more room was available should friendly other crews or guess feel to join them.

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Republic of Québec
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2018, 08:13:57 PM »
"I have to say Your Majesty, Morelander banquets never fail to impress me at all. This is quite the spectacle your people managed to put together." Cardinal Fava complemented to King Dave, as they were sittng just across each other, the former being of course a guest of honor among the prominent Morelanders sitting close to the King, the Ecclesiastical State was after all part of the CNN alliance and what not. He was clad in the traditional attire worn at non-liturgical occasions, the Simar, with the Zuchetto on his head; he would wait to give his gift at a more proper time to do so. Prior to his arrival at the banquet, he had Heard about the great news regarding the amount of curious visitors, who went aboard the Ark with its strong smell of animal remains, as it was deemed a success. He too like so many others was awaiting eagerly the food, which was reputable to be something out of this World.

Offline Prince_Leuk

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Principality of Luuxland
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2018, 10:20:27 PM »
"Not suprising, Mister" Leuk said looking up from his son to the man that was speaking. "The Principality is an infant among states. Its situated on the northern shore of the Matilda Channel. Across from the Iwi and Andvari, and stretching along that coast all the way to Nordmar. We haven't been around long enough to show up any maps yet." He paused for a minute. "And you? Where are you from/ if I might ask."

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2018, 12:26:23 AM »
"And this is why I always like talking to you." Catriona said "Well you and Martin Dawson anyway. Fight for distance not speed or as my predecessor would say play the hand you're dealt to the best of your ability. You're certainly right though the Zircon holds no real threat if its target has a missile that's smart but has longer range so like you in that situation I'd take the two years over the five any day of the week." she smiled a little, she'd been a little worried about this conversation but she'd known she'd get some sound advice "I guess I go and arrange to talk to Martin Dawson and hit this from different angles and play to Riviere's strengths."

Peter and Renee were sat at the banquet table, it was familiar territory for them now it was after all one of the highlights of their year though this was their first time as husband and wife, Kirsty and Claire sat across from them while Anja sat on the opposite side of Peter from Renee, lastly there were the two lucky CORAL cadets Emma Sullivan and Matthew Finn sat close by. Peter was about halfway through drinking when his phone buzzed.

"Excuse me but I should probably get this." Peter said he took out his phone and answered it "Yuki what is it?"
he listened and his eyes widened
"What is it?" Renee asked instantly aware that something was up.
"Serenity's been caught in a landmine blast." Peter said
"Bad?" Anja asked
"Yes." Peter said "I'm not looking forward to telling Isaac about this."

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2018, 10:38:17 PM »
Julian nodded slowly:

"Oh Matilda channel? I've been to the Iwi before. In fact i did the Ritual that symbolically adopted our Nation into one of their Tribes."
Julian then pointed to his Toga, and smiled:
"I thought this two millennia out of Fashion clothes would give away that i am from Neu Uburzis. The hungry Grump behind me is Prince Regent Albrecht of Uburzis."
Julian gave Albrecht a nudge, who now turned to Leukh:
"Good evening, your Majesty."

Julian then continued: "So basically we are on the north side of western Aranye."