Author Topic: Dealing in Death  (Read 1115 times)

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Agira Latina
Dealing in Death
« on: December 10, 2023, 05:14:13 PM »
"It is an abomination that you would consider such a thing." The Commander of The Order of Oak, Pero Zorić, voiced his concern. King Đurađ merely sat back in his chair as the various leaderships of the seven Holy Order discussed what he had brought them here to discuss.

"Don't be so wet Pero." Davor Grgić, the leader of the Huntsman's Order responded. "The nature and manner of execution was never important. Just the fact that their remains are given back to Druantia. Now so long as His Majesty can ensure that then I would not object to his suggestion." There were various other nods around the room.

"By giving our consent to this" Pero retorted, "we are allowing the worship of a false God." He was turning red in the face.

"You're showing your stupidity Pero" Davor shook his head. "If Druantia destroyed all Gods how can any be false, they simply don't exist. Its therefore not our problem that these people don't appreciate the folly of their actions. If this helps us gain some manner of access to their nation and therefore allows some chance to extend our programmes there then we are doing Druantia's work. Plus the idea may actually act as a deterrent for some."

The King very much doubted that but was growing bored of this theological wrangling. "Gentleman....and lady." He nodded an apology to Mila Pavlović who was the Commander of the only Order that was all female, the Order of Krešimira. "we have begun going in circles. I have other meetings today and while I do not need your approval on any matter you all know only too well on matters that may be influenced by our faith I have always consulted with you all. So please let me call a vote and then we can all be about our business." Pero would have liked the conversation to continue but he was well aware that he was likely to be on the losing side and so perhaps it was best to allow the vote to end his rear guard action and the King do what he would probably have done regardless of Pero's words. The King called for the vote, "Those for.....against...." he counted the raised hands then stood. "5-2 in favour.....I thank you all for your time and wish you well for the rest of the day. May the God guide you and keep you."

The others stood and each, speaking over each other, gave a blessing to the King while bowing and watched him leave. Đurađ was pleased with how it had gone, he actually had expected it to be more even, or that he'd actually be on the receiving end of their disapproval but with Zdeslav Pavić of his own order having the need for a favour of his own and the others often falling into line behind the senior of the orders he was perhaps guilty of having lacked confidence. He walked back to his office two doors down past Ewe, one of three clerks who manned his office. "Ewe please contact the ambassador from Eboracum I have an offer for him. Its no hurry but if we can squeeze him in first thing tomorrow morning that would be appreciated."

"Of course your Majesty" Ewe pulled a folder from the top draw of her desk and flicked the alphabetically coded cards down the side to find the Heptarchy. "Good Morning, this is Knight Ewe Modalik of the Order of Krešimira, I'm clerk to His Majesty King Đurađ and would like to arrange for the ambassador to attend the Palace to speak with the King on a matter he wishes to discuss...........thanks wonderful......8 am for breakfast if the Ambassador is free........excellent I shall let the King know, he'll be delighted. Goodbye."

Offline Eboracum

• Microstate
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing in Death
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 08:11:10 PM »
Rosalie was sat busily typing up some minutes from the ambassadors meeting earlier in the week with several of his staff. The phone indicating it was an official diplomatic call rang "Hello Miss" she said politely, never sure what to call these Knight types. "I am sure the Ambassador would be more than happy to discuss any matters the King deems important.....8am suits just fine. Thank you for the call. Goodbye." She passed the information on to her boss who seemingly was equally surprised by the call.

The next morning Ambassador Yoann Montagne arrived at the King's residence ready for the discussion. Upon reaching the gates he flashed his credentials and allowed the security details to do their work before making his way inside. He waited for the King to arrive for their meeting, stood bowed and then spoke. "Your Majesty I'm sorry that you have my at somewhat of a disadvantage, I've had no chance to prepare for today but rest assured if there is anything I can not do for you today I'll do everything within my power to accommodate as best I can."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 09:33:38 PM »
Đurađ had determined that the meeting with the ambassador would take place in the Palace's small library, a place where the King was seldom seen. It was a room full of brightly spined books and warm wooden panels. He had the staff light a nice warming fire and provide slices of rustic bread and cheese along with two long toasting forks. Đurađ had been informed that the ambassador had arrived and made his way from his suite to the library arriving just before his staff had guided the Ambassador to the venue. "Mr.Montagne I am sure you'll do what you can. What I have called you here for is rather unique, its certainly something I'd have never suspected I would be doing but I like surprises. Now can I offer you a fork?" He twirled a silver coloured toasting fork towards the ambassador as he stabbed his own into a thickly sliced piece of bread. He took a seat and as the ambassador took the other began toasting his bread as he casually continued the conversation. "I have sought advice from the various religious orders here and while not all agreed I have the support of the majority to perhaps help you're own faith. You see I have read about your winter solstice festival and its need for blood. I am currently housing 81 individuals in prisons here awaiting the death penalty. They are rapists and murderers.....I think we have two for treason too. I believe that we might find an arrangement where we basically commission Eboracum as our official executers and as such your ceremony could have all the blood it will need. Now I will of course have to sell it to my own people. So perhaps you could explain to me what exactly happens at your festival, even if you have no interest in our condemned I'd still be interested to know." He inspected the bread and satisfied with its new golden colour he picked up a piece of ham and another of cheese and folded his bread around them before nibbling away as Montagne spoke.

Offline Eboracum

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 09:06:00 PM »
Yoann wasn't really that familiar with the toasting fork, why would you need a metal fork when someone had invented a toaster. Dutifully though he did his best to copy what Đurađ was doing. When though the monarch explained what the meeting was to discuss he found himself rather taken a back. It was not that he was squimish, he trusted his Emperor and if these people had been found guilty in an Imperial court then he would have been more than happy to pull the trigger himself yet to hear someone offer their own convicts left him divided. One the one hand he was pleased as it would mean in the years to come that his homeland's vital Winter Solstice festival could continue in the much needed manner, however it left him torn about his feelings about Drenovia. If a monarch passed a sentence then they should carry it out but now it would seem like Drenovia would palm their convicts off. It was though an offer he believed that could be acceptable, in the right manner.

"Your Majesty I think this is something we could be interested in. There would of course be conditions from our side too. So for example I believe the Emperor would inisist on a court in Eboracum reviewing the case to ensure the trial was fair, but from what I know of Drenovia's legal system that shouldn't present a problem. We call the Winter Solstice the "Night of Reflection and Rebirth" to us it marks the point where our God, Veridus, begins to breath life back into the world. To do this we help give him energy by bathing his sacred sights in blood, preferably human blood. Back throughout history it was slaves who were sacrificd but since that was banned it was switched to criminals, first being executed on the night but now the day before and their blood drained and transported to the Temples ready for us. On the evening itself the blood of the sacrifice is poured into a sacred pit and prayed over. At the end of the ceremony those in attendance take blood soaked fabric away to burn in fire places at home thus sharing in the blessings of Veridus. This year however the ceremony will be special as Crown Prince Henrik is going to be permitted his full status as heir , will be assigned his own wing of the royal palace and various other privledges and responsibilities. He will as a result be expected to lead the festival in Ebora. We're all rather excited." Yoann examined his toast, it was far darker than he would have liked but he respectfully placed some cheese on it and then tried it. " A rather pleasant way to enjoy breakfast" he proclaimed not truly believing his words. "Is there anything else you wish to know?"

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2023, 12:18:55 AM »
"All of that sounds in order." Đurađ replied. "Now you say you're interested and I have zero issues with your conditions. The people we are talking about are the scum of Mundus and I have no concerns that our justice system will have been thorough enough to ensure all the t's have been crossed and i's dotted. Therefore you are of course more than welcome to review the cases before accepting the prisoners." The King waited a moment, "Now assuming that the Emperor goes for this I would expect something in return, any suggestions?"

Offline Eboracum

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2024, 09:49:50 PM »
It was odd to Yoann that the Drenovian King would say he would need something in return but not suggest exactly what he wanted. He sat for a second or two in silence unsure exactly what he could put forward. "I'm of the view that a permanent deal wouldn't perhaps be appropriate. There may be some periods where we don't need to utilise the deal and I don't think we'd want to be in a situation where we're giving something up for nothing in return that year. I do though think we can perhaps look at something in terms of a transfer of resources. Perhaps we could make an arrangement where Drenovian merchant shipping can be given priority in terms of access to ports and for each execution we carry out we credit your nations merchant shipping with a set amount of money, thus paying a kind of fee. You would get something for this arrangement being in place and we then top that up when we utilise the deal. Does this sound like something you would be interested in?"

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2024, 04:53:27 PM »
"This sounds like exactly the kind of thing we would be interested in."  Đurađ smiled. "I'd be happy to make such an arrangement, may it be the first of many between us." He said. "Perhaps, if it is possible once we have this matter confirmed I can come and visit the Emperor and we can extend what I hope will become mutual co-operation to other fields."