Author Topic: Krokom initiative for Scientific Support  (Read 4485 times)

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Nya Åland/Ui Cenneslaig
Krokom initiative for Scientific Support
« on: July 16, 2018, 01:55:15 PM »

The Formation of the Krokom Iinitiative for Scientific Support (KISS)
[/b]

To all Nations

Several years ago Krokom was selected by the then Union of Nordic People's to build the worlds first and to date biggest Large Haddron Collider. In the years that followed we have uncovered many new secrets of the universe. We have always prided ourselves on our LHC being open to people of all nations who share our interest in science and have long had visitors from East Moreland, Achkaerin and Ui Cenneslaig based here. The LHC project was designed to unite scientists around Mundus like never before. In a similar fashion we have seen the Joint Nordic Space Programme carry out wonderous launches that have made all their data available to the world, including our Longboat 3 project[1]. We ourselves watched on in wonder at the Lunar Three, Solo, Blinkly and Bob, the SwarmBots left behind that after 12 months on the moon came back as media stars. It is projects such as this and the Ui Cennesliag network of telescopes that will help us understand Mundus and our universe so much better.

It is therefore my hope that nations will join with us Nords in Krokom to establish a formal network designed to help science at all levels flourish.

I therefore look forward to people visiting Krokom in the next few weeks and us changing the world of science for the better.

Odin's Blessings

Stein Ulfsson
Head Gothi
 1. Cassini
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 02:22:52 PM by KrisNord »

Offline Major Jaws

• World Power
  • Hallo, Ich bin eine Filipino.
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Quintelia, Socram and Sarandib
Re: Krokom initiative for Scientific Support
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 05:31:02 PM »
OFFICIAL LETTER FROM THE MINISTRY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

To Head Gothi Stein Ulfsson,

Greetings! Science and Tachnology have been lagging in terma of advancements in Quintelia. We may have built Science High Schools in all regions and major cities, have recently offered Ui Cenneslaig to build an observatory in our mountain range, and are now currently building our first three satellites. However, we are still struggling in terms of funding and finance. It would be an honor for us to join and establish a network that focuses on science and it would be a greater honor to see the Large Haddron Collider in person and in action. I would also like to inform that a few CEOs of companies may also come with me. We hope the best for us all and may the God/s bless us.

Yours Truly,

Antonio Tuazon,
Minister of Science and Technology

(OOC Edit: Holy shit that’s a huge logo, if anyone can make it smaller, please pm me a link in Discord)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 03:47:06 AM by Major Jaws »

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 08:37:02 PM »

To Head Gothi Stein Ulfsson:

As CEO of Kadyrov Industries, I would like to formally submit our application to join this prestigious network of researchers.
    Please allow me to tell you a few words about our business, we are family owned company from the Empire of Tamara that is active mainly in the defense sector. We are proud to say we have the largest market share in Tamora and that we own three Research Institutes (all research in Tamora is privately funded), which many say are the best in the country, as part of our R&D department. Furthermore, we also own and operate Tamora's regional navigational satellite system as well as one of the two space ports in Tamora. On top of that, we have a written recommendation from the Foreign Office of Tamora confirming our compliance with the highest security standards issued the Tamoran government. 
   I look forward to your reply and to the prospect of future cooperation.

Yours respectfully,
Jabad Madani
CEO of Kadyrov Industries

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 07:43:21 PM »

To Head Gothi Stein Ulfsson

On behalf of the Emperor it will be a great thing to see Achkaerin work together with others in some way for scientific purposes, we have a long history of space exploration and other scientific ventures so we accept the invitation you have graciously extended. It will also be a special moment for myself as I have never been to Nya Aland before and I'm quite eager to see the country for myself.

Signed

Consul Michael Williams

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Republic of Québec
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 09:11:50 AM »

The Ecclesiastical State

To:-  Head Gothi Stein Ulfsson

On behalf of the Holy Father, Pope Peter II, the Ecclesiastical State shall be represented by myself, close colleagues in the cabinet as well as possible spokepersons from the Umbrella Corporation. We're looking forward to this gathering of great minds from all over Mundus to further advance the interests of science and knowledge. It shall be an honor to as well witness the Large Hydron Collider in all of its vast grandness and improve our neighbourly relations dearly.

Signed

François Soubois, Prime Minister of the Ecclesiastical State

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 12:04:51 PM »
The observatory building at the LHC was already in full swing for the welcoming reception, everyone involved with the LHC project was already there enjoying a lovely buffet and drinks. Many had gone outside to enjoy the unseasonably warm weather but then had been ushered towards the rear of the building to leave the entrance clear for when guests arrived. The interior of the building had a projection of the various images of the Joint Nordic Space Programmes missions playing on a massive loop, everything from the close ups of the sun Icarus took all the way up to the video of the last moments of Longboat 3's life as it was sent to its death on a distant moon. Many of the team that had managed that project over its almost 20 year life were present and felt justly proud of the images they were seeing.

Stein Ulfsson, the nations Head of State was mingling with the various people already in attendance and admiring the images. He was already feeling a little out of his depth with all the scientific stuff being talked but he was here only for the greetings and then to sign off on anything his experts advised. It would be his colleague Jin Odinsson who would lead the talks being the Head of Government, he at least had some scientific understanding as his wife Wiktoria was a lead researcher at a medical company in Krokom and she was here too as one of the selected representatives of the Nordic scientific community. The other being Sven Karlbard of the JNSP and then Gunther Waldsson who managed the LHC.

For Jin this was the third attempt at trying to get some kind of organisation going, one dying out because of the Uppsala Crisis and the other two when it seemed all nations believed science was about was weapons. This would be different and he was confident that they'd come away something agreeable. The first group through the door where the Cenneg's lead by their Science Minister Julia O'Leary and Seamus O'Lachlan the leader of the Cenneg Space Agency. Stein approached and greeted them both by offering them drinking horns of mead and introducing them to the rest of the local delegation. "We've already meet" Sven smiled as he shook Seamus hand, the two had attended various conferences globally and had become reasonably good friends.

"Excellent, then we already have one ally here"  Stein joked as he wished them well for the conference.

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 12:12:33 PM »
Olivia Cole was slightly annoyed, the Cennegs had beat them here, didn't this embassy driver know they had a repuatation to keep? She was excited, as Science Minister this was her first overseas trip and she was joined by four top class scientists. First was Lord Lucas Osman, he may not have any business control at OsmanTech but he still dabbled in the labs and had created one of Mundus largest biomedical and pharmecetucal companies. Next to him in the car was Rachel Dixon, the first Morelander in space, first Moreland to set foot on the moon and the face of the After School Rocket Club which promoted science in schools across East Moreland. She'd also brought with her Melissa Lusk who'd already been in Uppsala checking up on the Refugee University, she had a unique perspective on helping promote academic study in some of the harshest educational environments on Mundus, and then finally was Sir Alan Maybury, CEO of EMAC, a man with fingers in many scientific pies from being a partner of the Royal Aeronautical Society who ran the East Moreland space programme to him having overseen some rather amazing engineering feats with EMAC. All in all Olivia was confident that she had the scientific and business know how to get her through the meeting and was actually looking forward to it.

Upon arriving she headed for Stein, the Alanders were friends of East Moreland and she was keen to pass on the King's regards. "Hello Your Holiness" Olivia said as she approached and introduced herself. "King David sends his best wishes and hopes you'll soon accept his invitation to visit Northfort" she handed over a cream envelope bearing the royal seal, an official invite to come and visit. Meanwhile the other Morelanders headed off in search of people they knew, food and drink.

Offline Major Jaws

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 05:02:08 PM »
Antonio Tuazon, the Minister of Science and Technology in Quintelia and has been given the title of "Scholar in Biology", Scholar in Microbiology", and "Scholar in Botany". The "Scholar" title is given by the government when a person has contributed the most in any science or humanities sector in which they hold the title until they die or until someone is proven to have contributed more. The title also gives the holder benefits, such as life insurance civered by the government and a possible government position. As such, Antonio Tuazon, who was given the titles due to discovering more than a hundred new species of plants in Quintelian jungles and forests, determining and estimating the types of microorganisms in polluted waters, especially near Lungsod. Now, he will be attending what seems to be his first international meeting ever since he was appointed as a minister. Along with him are three other important Quintelian people in the scientific and technological sector: Ian Dalton, CEO of Dalton Motors who has also helped in the development in automobiles and a few industrial robots; Pedro de la Pena, the current head in the development of the Quintelian satellites; and Javier Mang-an, the engineer of the dam and irrigation system in the province of Dagohoy, the monorail system in Metropolitan Lungsod, and the Nueva Lungsod International Airport.

The four men then arrived in the LHC, seeing a crowd already forming. They introduced themselves one-by-one to the Head Gothi and giving him a handshake, although only addressing him as "your highness" as all of them are Catholics. "I see that your engineers and architects really did a good job on this building." Javier said to Stein as he glanced upon the structure. "So, about how much did this cost?" Javier asked, as the other three men continued their discussion in Quintelian politics and how they could make it better.

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 02:50:09 PM »
The foremost person to be among the Ecclesiastical delegation was Prime Minister Francois Soubois; although he didn't have any scientific qualifications on paper he was quite an expert and enthusiastic about apples in general, considering his father was an Apple farmer and growing up on such a farm did teach him valuable skills and knowledge later on in life. He was looking forward to this Krokom visit and scientific initiative as it could be a chance to improve relations between both nations through cooperation and projects in the name of science with the brightest minds within the scientifc community. Dr. Carlos Zoéga and Dr Thomas H. McInnerney were the CEO of Umbrella Industries and its sister subsidiary Umbrella Pharmaceuticals and Medical Equipment respectively, thus representing Umbrella Corporation which was among the largest of its kind in ES and certainly the world, being active in several industries at once. Finally, Director of the Vatican Observatory, the Jesuit Brother Guy Consolmagno, and Administrator of the Ecclesiastical NASA, Jean-Marc Duclos, represented the sphere of space matters.

The five men and their aides were stunned by the magnificence and technology of the LCH, as more foreign delegations started to appear at the Scientific forum. "Head Gothi Ulfsson, thank you for inviting us and willing to host such an ambitious yet encompassing project to aid those nations willing to follow in the steps of enlightenment and latest discoveries that could only further better mankind. The LHC is truly an impressive work and achievement, showing the true testimony of Nordic brilliance within this field. It would be thus great if it was possible to get an private audience with your people later". the Prime Minister said.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 04:16:55 PM »
Consul Michael Williams was enjoying himself, he didn't get the opportunity to get out of the country that much, something he'd been wanting to correct. To visit Nya Aland was a great thing and an interesting moment he knew a little about the host nation and their Viking heritage, he remembered the debates, well they hadn't really been debates more rubber stamps in truth, back in the Senate over the foreign aid funding into Uppsalla. Still he felt quite comfortable and the weather wasn't that bad either, well not for the Achkaerinese at least they were used to extremes being from the 'frozen north' as they joked about it. Michael was accompanied by his wife  Siobhan, the minister for agriculture and the environment, and the Minister of Science and Technology Kathryn Deed, and it was Kathryn who was probably the most settled of this trio as she'd been present at earlier attempts to do something like this.

The idea of scientific collaboration and cooperation in a multitude of fields had attracted attention across the various Achkaerinese companies and organisations that operated in that field, from the Achkaerin Space Agency there was the director of flight operations Nicola Fernley, then there were the business representatives from some of Achkaerin's major companies as one would expect Riviere Corporation was in the mix with their CEO Catriona Rowan, Futurist Industries was there with their boss Elecktra Hope. Flanking the two businesswomen were Matthew McKinlay and Sir Darren Eagle which with the addition of Mark Sherman rounded out the major Achkaerinese industries that were curious about the meeting.

Last but not least there was the presence of CORAL, the Centre of Oceanic Research And Learning, they were represented by their senior officer as it were Tim McKay and for their cadet program his daughter Anna.

"Did we have to bring an army with us?" Siobhan asked looking at Michael
"Were you going to try and stop them?" Michael asked "They're all geeks this is their thing."
"Yeah but I could have done without Mark Sherman and Elecktra Hope's friendly niggling about the Avalon Motor Show." Siobhan said
"Kathryn where do we go?" Michael asked
"I'm saying over there." Kathryn said

It was the three government officials that made their way over to the Head Gothi
"Your Holiness it is an honour to meet you." Michael said "I'm Michael Williams Consul of the Achkaerin Senate, may I introduce my wife and minister of agriculture and the environment Siobhan and our minister of science and technology Kathryn Deed who is I believe familiar with what you're proposing."
"Great to be back." Kathryn said "And our apologies but we ended up being followed by a bit of a crowd."

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lodja/Kaitaine
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 09:43:44 PM »
"Your Divine Majesty you can't be serious" Lord Brayan Coxovich said as the Queen informed him he'd be going to Krokom for foundation of the Nords science endeavour. "We're a nation that can't even get a boat to not catch fire, something essentially surrounded by water.....on fire. Yet you think we can go and rub shoulders with nations doing things we can only dream of." He shook his head, it was as much nerves of a solo diplomatic mission the academic wasn't looking forward to.

"If they can do it, then we can do it." Klara said confidently, "It may take us a while to catch up but this may help. Please follow my orders" Klara sounded almost pleading at the end something she'd worked out got Coxovich to do whatever he was asked, it was as though he didn't know the word no to a young girls pleading.

"Of course my Queen" he said lowering his head, "Now I think I should be getting going, that is if Your Divine Majesty no longer needs me" the Queen thanked him, wished him luck and dispatched him off.

Brayan spent the short flight reading some journal articles and scribbling down notes of remarks he'd need to type up for his reviews of them. Despite being the nations Education and Science Minister he was also still active in the world of academia himself, he took two lectures a week at Gaia Institute of Science and contributed as much as he could to journals. As he arrived he spotted a few people he recognised but made his way first up towards the Head Gothi, "Your Holiness" he extended a hand, "Thank you for giving me the oppurtunity to see this amazing piece of science, I've read so much about it and what you have discovered here, please accept my thanks for your discoveries and best wishes for what is still to be found." Greetings done he found a drink and a seat where he could just sit back relax and watch the roofs constantly changing slide show.

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 08:30:32 PM »
Tamora shunned international government organization and Tamorans themselves weren't too keen on associating themselves with foreigners. However, the Krokom initiative for Scientific Support seemed to be a non government organization and since Tamorans are always preoccupied with the fact they lagging behind in scientific development, Kadyrov Industries had decided to not pass on the opportunity to join in the slim chance that this could benefit Tamora in some way.  However, since Kadyrov Industries have expressed interested in KISS a lot had changed, the initiative started to look more like a government lead one, the other participants like EM had become increasing more hostile towards Tamora and religious incidents in Nya Åland (where people were jailed for their faith like in Kaitane) had determined the Foreign office to order Kadyrov Industries to no longer associate themselves with an organization whose members and host nation were so controversial.

If it were any other Tamoran company the story would have ended there. But Musaevna Kadyrov, the wife of the owner of the company and a close friend of the wife of the Emperor, made one call to the imperial palace and had the ban lifted the same day. However, the pressure on Kadyrov Industries to end their association with KISS still remained.

Since relations were tensed back home, Nya Åland was considered a high risk country (because of their religious persecutions) and many of the attending members were from countries that were hostile to Tamora, Musaevna Kadyrov decided to personally attend the event (since technically she had no legal connection with the company) instead of the CEO of the company.

The attending Tamoran delegation had four members: Musaevna, Zara and two bodyguards. Zara was Musaevna's personal assistant. She was born a slave, trained and educated for her future role and freed after becoming a mother. Her child would only be freed after she finished a successful service to Musaevna. It was common among nobility and the rich of Tamora to have such arrangement as it ensured the loyalty and diligence of those they relied upon. The bodyguards were there for the protection of Musaevna (though they would disarm before entering the observatory). Tamorans paid close attention to their security, especially when traveling in high risk countries like Nya Åland. She also had a diplomatic passport issued by the Tamoran government so that Nya Åland's government be less tempted to arrest her should she choose to pray in public or display a religious symbol. 

Once she arrived at the observatory building, she took a moment to look at the images of the Joint Nordic Space Programme's missions. Kadyrov Industries had their own space program but it was less prestigious and almost exclusively geared for commercial or military use. They wouldn't fund research for the sake of research. After she had finished watching the images she politely waited for Head Gothi Stein Ulfsson to become available and then she approached him:

"Your Holiness it is an honor to meet you. I am Musaevna Kadyrov and I come on behalf of Kadyrov Industries of the Empire of Tamora. Thank you for hosting this event. I am anxious to see where this goes." 

Musaevna made no gesture that would indicate she will present the rest of the delegation. After she finished the talk with the HoS she moved to a more secluded part of the room to wait for the event to start. The room was full with representatives from nations that had troubled relations with Tamora. It was a controversial issue just to be here so she need not complicate things further by appearing in the press as being friends with the people that hurt her nation. The bodyguards and her personal assistant made sure to keep people away from Musaevna. She opened her pursue and pulled out a cigar so she could smoke. However, her personal assistant reminded her that in Nya Åland smoking wasn't permitted either. Musaevna resigned herself, this will be a long conference, it hadn't even started and she wanted to be back in her hotel room.   

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 08:55:08 PM »
Stein took great delight in welcoming each and every delegate, he was thrilled to see so many people had taken up their hospitality and ensured that the staff ensured everyone had food and drink before beginning to get them settled. He waited until it had seemed like everyone had mingled some and then made his way onto a small platform at the front of the hall. "May I have you attention" the Head Gothi said loudly the room gradually falling silent. "Thank you" he took a moment. "First allow me to officially welcome you to our nation. For some of you this will be the first time you have been here and I hope it will not be the last. I sadly lack the ability to understand many of the things your going to speak about today so will not be present during your discussions. Instead our nations Allsherjargoði Jin Odinsson will be handling negotiations. That leaves me only to wish you the best of luck in creating an organisation that will do more to advance mankind than any other organisation on Mundus. May Odin give you knowledge on your path, May Thor grant you strength and courage on your way, And may Loki give you laughter as you go." With that he stepped down and left the hall as Jin Odinsson replaced him on the platform.

"Ladies and Gentleman, if you can proceed to the elevator in an orderly fashion we'll be going down to the LHC Conference room." Over to one side the staff of the LHC, which was used to hosting scientific conferences within the nation, had two large elevators ready. In batches of around 20 in each elevator the delegates were taken down a good distance below the Åland surface. The feint buzz and hiss of the LHC itself could be heard as they passed by the "Start/Finish" point of the colliders loop. Teams of scientists were busy moving around the equipment clipboards in hand. Once passed they entered a room which had been prepared into a space for a conference. The main delegate for each nation would sit at a large long central table while their other representatives sat on tables to either side of the room. Jin took his place at the head of the table. "Now, if I may begin we have called you all here as it is the belief of our nations scientific community that by improving c-operation between nations we can achieve a great deal, with that in mind we have several aims we hope to achieve here."

1. To enable the sharing of new ideas, theories and data by way of creating a globally respected multi-discipline scientific journal.

2. To establish a agency to allow co-ordination of space exploration. This is not intended to control it, but for example should a JNSP mission be scheduled the same time as a Cenneg mission there is the possibility of disruption to each mission.

3. The creation of a system to deal with space debris.

4. The creation of an internationally recognised organisation designed to promote STEM subjects at all educational levels.

5. The creation of a system of programmes designed to enhance the work experience of young STEM students.

6. The creation of an NGO fund to help support researchers carrying out smaller scale projects.

"So with that in mind do any of you have any other aims you wish to see this project bring about or any suggestions as to ways towards these aims. Once we have a few ideas on the table we shall begin to form the charter of this initiative."

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 05:05:20 PM »
Musaevna listened closely to the proposed aims of the organization. She was pleased to see those proposals did not involve the governments or intrude much in Tamora’s internal affairs. They weren't perfect but they were a decent start.  She looked around at the other guests to see if anyone wanted to start.  Since none seemed willing, she reluctantly decided to speak first so as to not be interpreted that she consented to the proposals :

"Allsherjargoði Odinsson, ladies and gentlemen “ she would have preferred to name each attending member at the table as was custom in Tamora but she listened to the advice of her personal assistant and decided to be short as to not bore the other attendees “allow me to thank our hosts again for having us and for their initiative."

"As to the proposed aims, we strongly support the third since that is an issue that affects all of us and can hardly be tackled alone. We also see the second aim as a positive initiative as long as it is not meant to control space exploration, as you so rightly said. The first one is also something that Tamora will get behind."

"However, the forth aim is something we cannot support as we" and she moves her had showing she meant everyone at the table "do not have authority to tell the owners of the schools and the parents what's best for the students, especially when such initiatives come from outsiders who understand little of Tamora."

"The fifth is unnecessary for us as we have no problem in this regard and as such do not support something that is redundant."

"The last goal does not take into consideration cultural differences between nations. Such an initiative would greatly disadvantage Tamorans as our researchers would be reluctant to apply for funding or support to a foreign NGO as that would essentially be considered begging to foreigners. I am personally willing to fund a separate NGO for Tamorans to meet that goal as a way to work around this."

"So while we can only support the first three goals and offer an alternative approach for the sixth, we have no issue with the organization as a whole promoting all of them. We merely wish to be exempt from the fourth and fifth and, should our alternative proposal not be accepted, also the sixth.

Thank you." 

Offline Major Jaws

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 01:41:51 PM »
Tuazon listened carefully and attentively to the first two speakers as to not misinterpret or mishear them. After hearing from Kadyrov, he decided that he will be the next speaker. "Sir Odinsson, Ma'am Kadyrov, ladies and gentlemen, good morning." He did what the previous speaker did for his introduction. "First let me thank the hosts for making this possible." He hid his left hand, which was holding a piece of handkerchief that is soaking the sweat from his palms. "Now, I would like to support all of the aims and I know that Quintelia can and will help in achieving all of those aims except for the third one. Quintelia will launch it's first satellites later this year and we have a load of other planned satellites that we want to be launched, and having another heavy project like that may probably slow us down a bit, maybe." He took a brief pause as he squeezed the piece of cloth between his hands before continuing. "Though for fifth and sixth aims, I can proudly say that Quintelia has been doing something similar to that for more than a decade, and I can proudly say that the programs has produced significantly positive yields, thanks to the Royal Act 6022, entitled 'The Establishment of a Science High School System' and RA 0821 entitled 'Provision of Funding For Beneficial Research' and I can say that we ave achieved something close to what was described. As for the first, second, and fourth aims, I am willing to help in achieving. Thank you." He sat back and discreetly whispered to himself. "That was a heavy one."

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 08:47:29 PM »
OOC: Instead of Prime Minister Soubois it's PRESIDENT (for 2018) Alain Brasseur. Apologies for any inconveniences.

Brasseur rose up after his Quintelian colleague sat down to continue wiping away his limitless amounts of sweat which slightly disgusted him. "I would also like to thank our hosts and other international colleagues for coming here today to make this dream come true for many scientists and similar interests groups in order to stimulate and inspire the growth of the sciences. The Ecclesiastical State would like to support all points in this potential treaty seeing as we're one of the most economically capable countries in Mundus and if required would want to more than enough contribute the appropriate amount of funding and even more to aid those less capable nations, all for the benefit for everyone of course." he said before letting anyone else voice their opinion as he sat down, offering a fresh handkerchief to Tuazon seeing that he was in a frantic conflict with his wet self.

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 08:49:31 AM »
Jin stood once more to address the assembled delegates. "We have prepared many ideas regarding these aims prior to us arriving here, so please allow me to address concerns."

He first turned to the Tamora party. "The proposal to co-ordinate space exploration is exactly that. All groups of scientists want to minimise the risk to their experiments. You must only look at our own team who made the Longboat 3 (Cassini) mission possible, the day that thing was destroyed many felt like they had witnessed the destruction of a loved one. By co-ordinating things it does not mean we control things, at present very few nations launch on a regular basis, as space exploration becomes cheaper and easier that means more will. If a well established programme is in place that allows people to easily see where and when launches are being made they can find their own windows meaning less risk to their own projects. Essentially we view this as being a couple of people receiving notifications and updating a website, nothing more.  Now as for this STEM organisation that could be something you can opt in or out of. What we envisaged was for example a group of people employed by it in each nation. They go round schools running activities like for example a Programming Club, or a engineering competition like one here were we invited schools to make a solar powered model car for an endurance competition. Such projects as this would naturally engage childrens interests in such subjects and create the next generation of scientists, engineers etc. The over arching part of the ogranisation would be to make it global, so take the model car thing, why not have say a city champion, a state champion, a national champion and then a global champion. This organisation would promote and manage that. As for your work experience and funding issues that is a rather sad thing to hear but wouldn't impact the organisation, if your students didn't take up the oppurtunities then that would be their choice. "

He next turned to the Quintelians " The launches you have planned will hopefully go well. But in the future as space becomes more crowded with redundant satellites and chunks of debris from cascade impacts things will become harder. Essentially what I'd like to see is us work with East Moreland who I know have a satellite capable of moving debris, they've done it before. We essentially ensure we have a series of these and periodically, say every five years each nation draws up a list of what debris they have that is no longer needed and we set these things about getting rid of it. It would take a good two years before we're anywhere near capable of doing this. This won't even slow you down , infact in the long term it will present more launch windows and actually speed you up." He flicked a switch and a map appeared on the screen behind him. "That image shows a projection of the current state of Mundus orbit, it will be worse in ten years time, good luck getting a decent orbit or worse penetrating without a disaster taking place. So far the Morelanders are the only people capable of tidying this up with no risk to life. We need to improve that." Jin added.

"Now I open the floor for anyone to suggest other aims before I present how we intend to fulfil them in more detail"

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 10:39:37 PM »
Rachel Dixon spoke on behalf of the Royal Aeronautical Society, "In November 2014 our nation launched a satellite called the Seeker, the naming could almost have been done by a Dartfordian, as a week after its launch it captured a dummy satellite called the Golden Snitch and shifted it into a lower orbit. A week later the Seeker recaptured the Golden Snitch and put it into a trajectory to burn up in the atmosphere. The success saw two further satellites, the Bludger and Chaser put into orbit giving us a network of three. These satellites essentially sit dormant until fired up for a mission. They have been used twice for actual missions, the first to capture satellite and move it into a new orbit, and the other to place a decaying satellite into a destructive orbit. Now we have plans for early next year to launch another pair which will effectively drag a net between them and sweep up smaller debris. Now we have no issue making these assets available but would expect to see some reasonable contribution of assets and abilities to this organisation by other nations. If we're truly being based on scientific support then people need to use what they have to support others. Ours would be the maintenance of relatively clear orbits."

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2018, 07:26:28 AM »
Musaevna waited patiently for the others to express their stance and then resumed, first addressing Jin:

" I am glad to hear that our fears the agency will be controlling space exploration are unfounded and we reiterate our commitment to join it if the activities undertaken by it are to take place as you have described."

"I also thank for understanding our concerns and agreeing to let us opt out. While we will take into consideration what you have said about STEM subjects promotion in schools, we prefer to opt out for now. After the internationally recognized organization is established and we see the program in action we might revise our decision, of course."

Then turning the Morelander delegation:

"I would like to thank the Morelanders for their constant preoccupation for clearing space debris. It is truly amazing to see how much dedication, effort and money they pour into this venture with only the aim of a clearer space in mind."

"However, Mr. Jin Odinsson is right when he says that "we need to improve" on the fact that Morelanders are the only ones that are capable of tidying up the place. I believe it is both unfair to the Morelanders and also unwise to leave the them with the heavy burden of tidying space debris and, while I cannot speak for other nations, I prepared to have Tamora commit to a solution that sees more and more nations having access to that capability and helping tidying space debris. Whether such capability can be gained though buying such satellites from the Morelanders so we can use them to clear the space or whether KISS members would like to pool in resources for an institute to develop a similar technology and make it available to all member nations , Tamora would support such initiatives." 

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2018, 09:46:46 PM »
"While on paper that may sound reasonable we have several issues that make it impractical" Sir Alan Maybury interjected, "The technology that is used to make the project work is patented by my company. We look around this room and I see representatives from several companies we are competing against, at present being able to put together a machine such as this is something only EMAC and her partners have done. Many of the nations around the table have companies that effectively have a monopoly on technology development in their nations, or in some cases are directly owned by their government. If we simply allow others nations to have access to the satellites technology we run the risk of all manner of reverse engineering and or the like. Now something that may work would be for nations willing to contribute to fund a further satellite of this type and have it run by a team from EMAC, kind of like a "rent a satellite" scheme"

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2018, 10:03:48 PM »
"If we're going to talk about space exploration for the moment." Nicola said "Then I will speak of something that may be of interest to some nations here but is also already utilized by others. For a few years to try and increase the accessibility of other nations to space the Achkaerin Space Agency has operated something of a training program for prospective astronauts of other nations, we have this agreement in place with a few nations including our hosts here today[1]. Ultimately such a program could contribute towards the second aim in some way or at least support the aims proposed."

"However." Tim McKay, the CORAL representative piped up, "I'd like to also see a focus not only on what lies beyond our world but on our world as well, there are several concerns here on Mundus that this initiative can assist with, things such as the amount of plastic in the oceans as highlighted by the Queen of Lodja, then there's a long term question of what happens when the oil finally runs out."

"Now as for what our Morelander friends have just said." Michael said "It's reasonable in light of their concerns as far as I can see and Achkaerin would certainly support such an idea."
 1. OOC - I believe this goes back to the Winter Festival unless I'm mistaken