Author Topic: An invitation to tour the Commonwealth (Eskdale-EM)  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Jargalant (FKA Eskdale)

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Eskdale
An invitation to tour the Commonwealth (Eskdale-EM)
« on: March 31, 2021, 11:45:51 AM »

To His Majesty King David of East Moreland and his Queen.

Following a meeting of the Grand Council it has been agreed 92-8 that the Commonwealth should invite you for talks and recreation.

It is the belief of all three monarchs of the Commonwealth that a friendly relationship with your Kingdom would benefit all parties and help promote co-operation between our people's and even the wider Mhorish and Illumic regions. As such it is my honour to extend an invitation to the pair of you to visit our Commonwealth for a period of time. I have laid out below a suggested schedule we would like to follow however this is naturally open to change or discussion.

DAY 1 - Arrive in the Commonwealth capital Westlinton. This is a city built at the only point where the three Kingdoms all meet. As such it is a city that is split into four quarters, one for each Kingdom and a neutral one overseen by myself where the business of Commonwealth wide government is handled. There would be a tour of the city and a formal reception attended by all three monarchs, the Grand Council and various invited guests. Should you accept we would provide accommodation that night in the Grand Council Residence which has hosted various overseas guests through its history but sadly has not been utilised for quiet some time.

DAY 2- A day in Blackbeck which is the largest of the three Kingdoms and is ruled by His Majesty King Robert II. He would like you to view the city of Howtown and his Palace. The King is also keen to discuss matters relating to expansion of jobs within the Technology sector.

DAY 3 - A day in Papcastle which is the smallest of the three Kingdoms and is ruled by His Majesty King Henry III. He would like you to visit the city of Whaw and discuss issues relating to protection of the environment while enjoying a trip down the river to view a shrine to one of our religious figures built in the hills. Should your health allow there would be time for some climbing which we understand is a past-time Your Majesty enjoys.

DAY 4 - A day in Thornhill which is ruled by Queen Diane IV. She would be interested in discussing matters of education with you and the Queen. She would also like if possible to attend a series of events in the evening at Skerton Girls Grammar showcasing the work of the girls who study there.

DAY 5 - Return to Westlinton and conclude discussions with the Grand Council.

We hope that this schedule is acceptable and look forward to welcoming you to the Commonwealth soon.

Best Regards

The Royal Overseer Stanley Keyes
Duke of Pendelton Moor

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Re: An invitation to tour the Commonwealth (Eskdale-EM)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 10:55:07 PM »

To His Grace Duke Stanely Keynes, Royal Overseer

I am honoured to receive your invitation and I am excited by your suggested itinerary. I am fascinated by the unique way your nation is organised and look forward to finding out more about it therefore me and Queen Stasya would be delighted to accept your invitation. Due to the lengthy manner of the extended visit and the current situations in Lodja however I would request that you permit me a larger than normal party. Traditionally I have always liked to keep my party for state visits minimal and I do not wish to have you think a larger than normal party is any slight to you or your people who have extended this warm invite. I believe that we can make strong foundations between our two nations during my visit and I look forward to meeting you in person soon.

I would ask for one slight addition to your itinerary however. It is my understanding a small Cultist population exists in Eskdale and as my visit will extend to a Friday I would like to join with members of this community if possible to take part in the weekly service. If this is not possible I understand and would instead like to have some time for private prayers included in the itinerary.

If this is acceptable myself and my wife shall visit as soon as possible.

May The Gods Watch Over You and Your Nation Know Peace

King David III of East Moreland.

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 12:04:57 AM »
Westlinton was a city that was unique in the Commonwealth. No one could remember the last time a foreign Head of State had visited the Commonwealth and to a lot of people perhaps it marked an attempt to reinvigorate of the Commonwealth. The idea that the nation from across the Illumic, East Moreland were coming was pleasing to the public. They had walked a path that many wanted the Commonwealth to follow. The news of the Morelanders recent treaties with Jugland and Lijiang had given hope of their being similar agreements reached here. There had been a growing movement, particularly in the youth, for a Illumic centric focus on the nations foreign policy and East Moreland would be a great foundation for that to begin. There would of cause be a little bit of chaos. The big issue had been how to get the East Moreland delegation from the airport out to the East of the city to the central part. With each part of the capital being a "Quarter" in its own right each of the three Kingdoms took ownership of one quarter with the central heartland of the city being the domain of the Royal Overseer, the man who belonged to "all Kingdoms and none" and was responsible for the representation of the Commonwealth with foreign nations. The drama had come that coming by road the Morelanders would have had to enter one of the Quarters to reach the heart, thereby giving that Kingdom the honour of saying they were the first to welcome the guests. The Airport was of course neutral ground but surrounded by Thornhill territory they had some kind of advantage much to t1he annoyance of Blackbeck and Papcastle. Royal Overseer Stanley Keynes had therefore come up with a solution. The River Roode was controlled by no Kingdom and ran from the airports northern edge right into the city. A series of boats had therefore been acquired and stood ready at a hastily erected gate from the airport. The other problem was the number of people the Morelanders would bring. Keynes had heard there was an expectation the Morelanders brought small delegations however their King's letter had indicated he would be bringing quiet a lot of people and so they had several boats on standby.

The three monarchs had not been permitted to attend the airport and would instead meet in reverse order of their hosting of the King once he reached the Grand Council building. That order had been determined by the drawing of straws so important was the idea of no Kingdom being above another. Therefore it would be Queen Diane IV.  who would meet the King first upon his arrival in the true centre of Eskdale. As the East Moreland aircraft arrived it would however be 10 year old William Cornwall who would be the first to meet him. Keynes had selected the boy from several who had entered a competition to design a special flag for the day. William's showed a rather poor understanding of the animal kingdom but it did make him smile. It showed a Honeybadger and a Lion holding hands with the colours red and white behind them. Keynes had made thousands of them for the public on this occasion. Now as the Morelander aircraft landed Keynes asked William his lines one more time and gave him a big thumbs up, "Good work" he encouraged him. By now the East Moreland aircraft had come to a halt and the assembled tri-service band began to play the guests national anthem.

As the guests set foot on the airport tarmac William nearly let go of his presentation, a large carefully folded flag, a replica of what had been drawn by the boy. "Your Majesty I am William and I am ten years old. I'm honored to present a flag to you which I made to show friendship between our two nations. Welcome to Eskdale." he looked round at Keynes for confirmation he hadn't messed up and got a big thumbs up and grin as the Eskdale delegation clapped. Keynes stepped forward and placed a hand on Williams shoulder.

"Your Majesty we're thrilled to have you here and I echo young William's welcome." He extended a hand.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 09:06:01 PM »
For David this was something of a strange experience for an overseas trip. Normally it was him, his security detail and maybe one or two advisers/ Even when married he'd not always taken Stasya or Matilda however today was different. With the on going situation in Lodja and the recent Tartu Accords from Chistopol it meant the King was likely going to have to make some decisions while overseas and so he was taking a rather larger entourage than was traditionally the case.  The first two to arrive at Ironside One did so with the King having come directly from the briefing rooms at Northfort Military Barracks where they had been seeing off some of the men heading to Lodja. Will Buckley was the King's Security Chief and despite having no official role in the government was an experienced military officer the King often used more as a sounding board when he had difficult decisions to make. He was a mountain of a man and stood waiting for the King to exit having opened the rear car door. After the King had exited he was followed by his second ever present member of staff Quinn Germaine. As the King's Chief of Royal Household she followed him practically everywhere except briefings marked top secret. In many ways she had the doors to access the King and as such was perhaps one of his most trusted staff members. She had been recruited by Alex Redfern to replace himself after he'd encountered her leading a loyalist group during the Regency Crisis where she'd gone from nursery teacher to rifleman. That conflict had cost her the lower part of her left leg but she was determined that it wouldn't stop her doing most things and often joined the King for rows in the morning.

The trio made their way up to the waiting Air Force NCO's who would be acting as staff during the flight and having greeted the usual faces the King made his way into the onboard office while Will took a trip up to the cockpit to confer with the aircrew. The next car to arrive had come from the Representative Council building. There had been various sessions that morning to brief the Councillors on the work ministers were undertaking. Rosa Meadows had been attending talks on the new ideas for vocational centres across the North of the nation, Olivia Cole had been busy with business relating to funding for a future space project and the King's cousin Duchess Orlaith Kade had been fielding discussions on the various international crisis going on. The three women now made their way up to Ironside One with Orlaith turning to go see the King to catch him up on the Councils thoughts while the otherstook seats in the large lounge seating area.

The final car to arrive had come directly from the Palace and carried Queen Stasya and her own mini entourage. First there was her own Chief of Queen's Household Alexandra Samuel As the Queen's party boarded the aircraft she made her way to find the King's counterpart Quinn and syncronise their schedules. They meet every other day in the palace but they'd never undertaken a joint overseas trip and there was a need to check everything was in order. The final two to board the aircraft were the two Ladies in Waiting Jessica whose mother was Olivia Cole and the two sat and caught up on the plane. The final person to take their seat was Emma Maybury the daughter of the planes constructor Sir Alan Maybury who ran EMAC. With everyone onboard the doors were shut and the aircraft began the journey across the Illumic.

Onboard Stasya had tried to once more discuss matters in Lodja with David, the King was convinced that nothing short of a full blown deployment of East Moreland's Armed Forces would satisfy his wife but that wasn't on the cards and so David had, much to her annoyance, closeted himself with his cousin Orlaith during the flight. The first time David saw her was when they touched down. "You look beautiful" David kissed her on the cheek as Quinn and Alexandra ensured their charges had their ceremonial sword. The contingent then made their way down to Eskdale and towards the Royal Overseer. "Duke Keynes" King David extended a hand before beginning the lengthy introductions. He then took the flag from William and between himself and his wife spread it out to get a good look at it. "Its an excellent flag" David said as he admired it. Stasya meanwhile faked it perfectly, she had no interest in little kids and ridicolous flags but she did enjoy the attention the media where giving her. David carefully folded the flag back up and handed it to his cousin Orlaith. The King then felt his own lapel and carefully unpinned his small East Moreland coat of arms badge. "I hope William you will accept this as a gift of thanks for your hospitality" He handed the pin badge to William hoping the boy thought it was a fair exchange. The King noticed several more of the flags in the watching crowd. "I believe we've a boat ride?" The King asked. "Could you perhaps explain the circumstances, I was briefed a little but I'd find the history interesting." The King failing to control his inner nerd.

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 10:07:07 PM »
The Royal Overseer had heard the King was someone with a fascination with history and so had expected several questions based on the unique arrangements. "Well Your Majesty" Keynes had started walking towards the first boat where a Naval officer helped the first few people into the vessel.

"Welcome aboard Your Majesties" the officer saluted as the King and Queen boarded. He waited for everyone to be assembled, Keynes and the royals in the lead with the Ministers behind with several of their counterparts from Eksdale. The boats little engines gurgled into life and the boat headed off down the river. It was clear the banks here at the airport weren't well manicured as the reeds and grass were tall but soon as they began to run beside wide open fields and forests pleasant footpaths ran along either side.

"The story of this boat ride" Keynes started his story. "Is because our 17th Century King Richard II was blessed with triplets. At the time it wasn't the case that when the King died the eldest child automatically took the throne. As a result it was always common for the King to issue a decree declaring his heir and as such this would often change. In Richard's case though he couldn't pick between the three and so issued a decree saying his wife was to find a way for all three to take a part of the crown. Exactly what Richard meant though was a mystery but his wife Queen Anne followed his instructions and came up with a plan, a very detailed plan to split the Kingdom into three with an overarching system to ensure they all stayed united in some way. To ensure some neutral ground the capital here, Westlinton, was kept originally under the control of Queen Anne, when she died the city was to be passed onto a Royal Overseer and so was always outside the control of the three royal families. That tradition has continued and the river here makes up the majority of the border until you reach the East of the city so we'll actually pass through what is classed as one of the kingdoms but the river was always the Overseer's territory, so think of it like a territory within a territory." By now the river was branching to the right. "There is an old canal that was made to allow the wool industry in the 1700's to get deliveries across the nation. It still gets used today by pleasure craft as in summer the river here can get a little low, the canal ensure that it can get through all year." The various lock systems could be seen as they maintained their route on the river until such a time as the river crossed under a viaduct carrying the canal. "There are some wonderous old engineering practices here, the locks are still largely original." Keynes was proud to say as they now ran parallel to the canal. Soon the houses of the city parted into a green parkland with a house at the centre. "Each of the three monarchs has their own residence here in the city, mainly used only when the Council was in session. That is the King of Papcastle's one" As if with perfect timing the two naval crew blew a short whistle blast and saluted to where the Papcastle flag flew at a landing dock, as the greenary parted a four man unit wearing the uniform of the Papcastle Guards Regiment came into view and a volley of saluting gunfire was fired as a mark of respect as the visiting monarch cruised past. "Today the city functions pretty much under my authority fully although by right its only the very heart I control." With yet more excellent scheduling a pair of large white and blue poles flanked the river. "Speaking of which you are now officially in the Commonwealth Quarter of the city" Homes had returned again, many of them in the old converted textile mills that had at one time dominated the city. A landing ramp came into view and stood on it were the three monarchs, Queen Diane closest to the water, then King Henry and finally King Robert. The boat came to a rather skilled stop at the pontoon, the crew having had numerous practice runs and a swiftly working team of young Naval Cadets lashed the boat to its mooring before offering to help ashore those on the boat. Keynes waited for the King and Queen to be helped ashore before making his own unaided arrival back onto dry land. "Your Majesties may I present the monarchs of the Commonwealth." He went down the line introducing each on.

"Welcome to Eskdale Queen Stasya" Queen Diane addressed Stasya first. "I'm thrilled to meet you. I have watched your involvement with changing education in East Moreland and I have some ideas I can't wait to discuss with you. It'll also be nice to get away from the boys club, it seems every government meeting is me surrounded by them." She smiled hoping Stasya understood her attempt to appear friendly. "But that's for a few days time I hope you get to enjoy your stay as well."

King Henry shook David by the hand, "I am delighted you accepted our invitation. I think you'll be right at home at Papcastle, I hope my boys by the river didn't mess up by the way. I think you'll find our landscape and that of say Rockhampton are not to dissimilar. My youngest daughter Mary is keen to make your acquintance too, she's a bit of a daredevil and enjoys the climbing so I hope your back is healing nicely and up to some. I trust you're recovery is going well?" Henry inquired. 

Robert meanwhile found himself chatting with Olivia Cole. He was fascinated by Technology and read of some very interesting projects within East Moreland. "Mrs.Cole. I hope you've had a pleasant introduction to Eskdale. I'm looking forward to some talks about a few joint projects I have in mind. I'm very excited. Perhaps you could pass on my regards to Martin Dawson when you next see him and let him know I would be fascinated to meet him." Robert had read a great deal about the young man's work, particularly with Swarm-Bots and wanted to find out more.

The three monarchs introduced it was a short walk up the quayside and through a park to the Grand Council building where it seemed every representative and office staff member had assembled to greet the guests. "On days when a monarch is visiting the Grand Council it is customary that they lead people into the chamber, perhaps we could ask you to lead the way. Thankfully today the Grand Council chamber is serving as a function hall and not debating chamber, we wouldn't dream of making you sit through the lengthy hell of one. Once you've had chance to meet a few people we'd like to show you each of the Quarters of the city, if you are agreeable." Keynes walked half a step behind the two Morelanders as they entered the large grey stone building and then people filed in behind. The Grand Council chamber was in the very centre of the building which wasn't exactly as Grand in size as the name suggested however the chamber itself was sunken into the basement but extended up through the three floors above with a large dome above. It was designed for around 100 people and a large square desk at is centre had benches arranged all the way around. Normally the Overseer and his staff sat at the central table with the round seating separated into thirds being for each Kingdom's representative. Today though rather than a ceremonial axe which indicated the Council was in session sitting on the table a variety of buffet foods and drinks were arranged. "Please help yourself and feel free to mingle."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 10:16:14 PM »
David rather enjoyed the gentle cruise down the river and the associated history lesson that went with it. Stasya meanwhile was more concerned about the wind messing her hair up than the ins and outs of Eskdale history. He liked the way the city had retained its connection to the past and did his best to return the salute offered by the soldiers on the riverbank as he passed. "I have to say its the first time I've ever visited a city so divided but so well organised." He felt slightly disappointed he didn't get to see the locks working but he was sure there would be other times he could see them for himself. As the boat pulled up at the quayside the King helped his wife from the boat before greeting the other monarchs.

Stasya was pleased to meet Queen Diane and had been excited by the fact she'd been given her own little special day during the tour. Despite David clearly being a very dedicated and loving husband he didn't allow her much input into the government at all and so she had to constantly find her own little projects to keep her in the public gaze which she adored. "I'm excited to have a chance for us to talk. I've been really pleased with how things have been going with vocational skills back home and I know a woman with much more experience in governance than me can have a lot of advice. Perhaps we can find time for a few other matters too." she added.

David was in fact a little nervous about the climbing suggestion. "Well Your Majesty" David began, "Its been about five years since I last touched a proper rockface and I lot has happened in those years. They say you don't forget how its done but its one thing remembering and another actually having the ability to do it. We'll have to see, I'll just be pleased if I don't need to be winched off some hillside. I hope Princess Mary will be kind to me. While the recovery is going well I can only take it a day at a time, you get good days and bad days. I'll just be keeping my fingers crossed that's a good day. Does climbing run in your family?" David asked as they headed towards the Council building.

Olivia Cole bowed to King Robert as he introduced himself and began a conversation. "Your Majesty I am sure at some point I can arrange a meeting with Martin. His company have become one of the top winners of our nations contracts for projects ranging from military updates to space exploration software and I know he'd relish a chance to discuss things with you. I'm sure we can arrange for you to visit his HQ at Chamwick if you had the desire." She was confident Dawson would be able to sell his stuff into Eskdale if given the right circumstances.

As they approached the Council building David was caught in several minds of how to act. This was the heart of another nations government and then when mention of food was brought up it placed him in a difficult predicament. "Lord Keynes" David guided the Overseer to one side as the Morelanders began to mingle, one eye on their King. "I would like to ask for some advice. Your Grand Council chamber here. What is your stance on religion being displayed here? I know some nations have rules about separation of government and faith yet before a Cultist eats we must give prayers and an offering to Helus, the last thing I wish to do is offend your nations traditions in its heartland. Would a small discreet prayer and offering be acceptable?" The King knew the Lorchist faith was followed heavily in Eskdale and had little ideas of the concepts of the Cult would clash with the native faith and so waited for the response. 

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 10:48:29 PM »
King Henry was pleased that David would at least give climbing a go and was sure his daughter Princess Mary would be excited by the prospect. "We're a Kingdom blessed with the peaks and so I think we're a people that love the mountains, some like me just like wandering in them and finding a cosy little pub for a beer and nice stew at the end of a hike, meanwhile people like my daughter are crossed with mountain goats I think." By now they had reached the door of the Council building.

King Robert was pleased he'd just bagged an invite to Chamwick. "Well I'd be thrilled to come and have a look. I think projects like Chamwick are something we need to push on with and I believe you've had some good results."

Once inside the Council chamber various people mingled with the Morelander delegation while Keynes followed David to one side, "Your Majesty our nation is one were we are largely devoted to the Lorchist faith, but we do not deny others their faith. We've about a million Cultists in our nation, your final day we've arranged for you to attend prayers here in the capital at a Temple of Helus, not as grand as your Northfort one but I am sure you'll like it. Naturally if you wish to carry out your ceremony you are more than welcome to. If you require anything please let me know. You may even have a few Cultists within the chamber." He motioned back the way they had come and permitted David some time for his ceremony seeing at least one of the handful of Cultists who worked within the building he motioned for that man to move closer to the King, no doubt that man, Thomas Birkdale, would know what was about to happening and could help if required and no doubt would be happy to be so close to the ceremony. Keynes watched on having never truly witnessed any of the Cults rituals except for the odd event on their feast days. Keynes waited patiently for the matter to be concluded before he could return to the matters of the day.

"This evening we'll be dining in the Grand Council's chamber so perhaps you'd not want to fill up too much." Keynes reminded the King. "For now once we've finished the drinks we'll make our way through each of the quarters. Is there anything you'd like to see in particular first?" Teynes asked David and Stasya.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 10:07:00 PM »
David was relieved that there wouldn't be an issue and returned to the room picking up a small plate and placing on it some of the food on offer. He removed from his jacket a small candle wrapped in a red cloth. Also inside the roll was a small knife and a box of matches. The King set up the candle on the plate and lit the match illuminating the candle. He waited for the Morelander contingent to gather round before beginning. He pressed the point of the blade onto his thumb drawing a single droplet or two of blood which he allowed to trickle onto the plate. The King's fingers bore several scars from where he'd performed this ritual hundreds, if not thousands of time. Every time more than one family of Cultists ate together it was expected someone carry out this ritual. With the blood on the plate he spoke quietly so as to not disturb the non-Cultists in the room. "Lord Helus we thank you for allowing us to be here today. Grasa we thank you for this generous feast before us and Marissa we thank you for surrounding us with new friends. May the Gods Watch over us and our families know happiness." The King licked his thumb and finger and pinched the candle wick extinguishing the flame, he then wiped the knife with the cloth and neatly packed everything away leaving the blood marked plate of food and a small ball of wax behind.

David made his way over to the hosts and found Keynes. "Thank you. I am now at your disposal." He gave a small bow.

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 12:17:43 AM »
The assembled dignitaries from the Commonwealth who were not Cultists merely stood back and politely waited for the Morelanders to finish their business and ceremony before resuming mingling. There were several people all of whom wished to speak to the various Morelanders who had attended the visit, the King and Queen obviously but also the ministers that had accompanied him. The rest of the day saw them give the King and his delegation a guided tour around the city, visiting each of the quarters in turn.

That evening there was a banquet with fine foods being served, the starter a platter of seafood from Blackbeck, the main a succulent roast duck from Papcastle and to finish off a strawberry dessert from Thornhill. Each course served with a glass of wine from the same region. The seating had been a rather difficult manner and so Keynes and his own wife had been sat next to to the visiting monarchs to ensure no favor was shown. Following dinner there was more mingling and of course dancing. The Ironside's had been provided the in-house suite used for visitors to the Grand Council Building while the rest of the Morelanders were being put up in the hotel literally the opposite side of the road.

The next morning the small parkland behind the Grand Council was cordoned off by local law enforcement as an Air Force helicopter came in. The visit was moving now to Blackbeck and the city of Howtown.  King Robert, the monarch of Blackbeck would accompany the Morelanders to his capital where the helicopter was able to land on his own estate on the edge of the city. The King has been pleased his request to meet with the King had been granted and now in his own stately home prepared to get down to business with his guests.

"King David I am pleased you accepted my invitation. You see I have a particular interest in all things technological. In my younger days I think I followed a similar path to you where service to my nation was expected. You found yourself I believe climbing mountains, whereas I found myself in the bowels of the earth monitoring communications equipment with the Army. It gave me an interest in such things and I've done my best to keep abreast of the ongoing status of such things as we go. With this in mind I have a desire for Blackbeck to become the envy of the Commonwealth regarding technological advances. I think I'm about to offer something a bit selfish. I want to bring investment here and obviously not to the other Kingdoms. As such I would like to offer East Moreland owned technology businesses a chance to have access to our people as a resource. Howtown University is expanding and what I propose is that any East Moreland technology company wishing to partner with them and take on a minimum of 20 students for work experience years will be given planning permission to build facilities, up to a certain size, on the campus. I would for example have a vision of say SmartWar working on projects here for say satellite communication. It is with that which I link to my second request. I want a partnership between the University and your own Royal Aeronautical Society. As such I blieve you are planning to have an expandable space station operating. I would like to personally sponsor some space for a Blackbeck student to have an experiment taken up and run there. Think of it as me dangling a carrot before the young scientists of Blackbeck. Finally I'd also like to offer EMAC a contract. I saw the aircraft you flew in on and must say I'm pretty jealous. As such I would like to work with EMAC to make something similar for myself. You see it is my hope in the coming months to head across Mundus trying to bring further investment into Blackbeck and as such something like that would be ideal. If possible I'd like to have EMAC design it however have assembly take place here in Howtown. So do these things sound possible?"

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2021, 09:12:37 PM »
David was not particularly a dancer but he did partake for the simple reason that he knew that his wife Stasya loved dancing. Throughout the evenings festivities David would slip away for a moment or two and consult with Will Buckley his chief of security to check if there had been any updates from Lodja and having satisfied himself that there was no new information he would return to the function. At just after 10pm David and Stasya made their excuses and headed to their room. The next few days would seee some frantic discussions and so David knew how important it would be to be fresh in the morning.

The next morning the King rose early and went on a quick run with Will and a few of the other agents responsible for his security. After a quick shower, change and breakfast the King joined the rest of the Morelanders on the helicopter to Blackbeck.

Once sat comfortably with King Robert talk soon turned to business. "Well in terms of what your asking I find myself in a rather awkward position. You see I would like to leave here as friends with all three Kingdoms of the Commonwealth. I therefore have to tread a little carefully. Now had you been a nation unto yourselves then I'd be delighted to agree. As things stand though what I'm proposing is that we make a provisional agreement between the two of us today and then when at the final day we meet with the other monarchs and Keynes we can ensure its seen as fair. Should you not like the way that deal ends up then naturally you can withdraw. Now as for giving us a chance to invest in your Howtown University I would be delighted if some of our businesses did so. We've picked up some pretty good engineers from across Mundus and they've been part of massively important projects for us and Mundus. As business in East Moreland however is privately owned then I can not force them to but there would be a good possibility of them doing so. Now as for the partnership between the University and our Royal Aeronautical Society then that I can agree to seeing as the Society effectively works for me. I also love the idea of a student experiment being sent up. I have a further proposal. As well as taking up the experiment of one of your students perhaps we can run a challenge where an experiment designed by a team of students made up of people from both Kingdoms is selected, it can be jointly sponsered by you and me. As a result you get to lay claim to having had two groups of students get involved in space exploration. Now as to the final matter, EMAC would I suspect be overjoyed at the chance to win such a contract and I can have Sir Alan their CEO contact you in due course. The idea though may need some oversight from my own Ministry of Defence as some of the technology on Ironside One is classified and therefore we would like to maintain control over it. There are I suspect numerous ways EMAC I believe can solve the issues. As for it being built here that is a deal I think best suited for you and Sir Alan. How developed is the Blackbeck aerospace industry?"

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 10:19:31 PM »
King Robert was expecting David to push for a whole Commonwealth approach it made more sense for the Morelanders and sadly would impact his own plan but he now would make the best of the situation. "I understand the nature of your technology being classified but I hope someone like EMAC can at least give us something comparable. Our own aerospace industry is churning out low cost light aircraft and a few cargo aircraft but nothing on the level of the various Dragon named fighters in the East Moreland airforce. I have a hope that in a few years time perhaps we can utilise some of the things we've talked about to help them develop here. I would love therefore to have a conversation with Sir Alan and see where we can go to. Can we perhaps though make sure that in any deal that goes Commonwealth wide we can ensure that the point of first contact comes from Blackbeck? After all we are the ones that have pushed for it."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 10:20:34 PM »
Robert was clearly pushing hard for some kind of recognition in regards to this arrangement and that was something David wasn't sure he could deliver. "I'm unsure whether you have an ability to appoint representatives overseas but perhaps if we create a position of something like a "Technology Envoy" It would mean we can have constant communication between the two of us and I would hope that perhaps it would position Blackbeck as the point person on matters of technological co-operation. I'm all for people who take positive actions being recognised for it so if it helps I will support the idea of your representative taking a leading role. Perhaps it would be useful for me to understand exactly what the powers of a monarch in Eskdale has, especially as I've got meetings with your counterparts from the other KIngdoms."

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2021, 11:58:39 AM »
" I understand all this and I reassure myself that you will do what you can to ensure that we have some leading role. I think for today I've covered everything I had desired." Robert smiled graciously. The rest of the day was spent site seeing around the King's domain of Blackbeck. Howtown shared many similarities with cities found across the Illumic region, old medieval buildings still stood with their red tile roofs at the heart, in this case a small island that stood in the middle of a river, to the east and west banks a more modern city grew. Robert knew of King David's interest in history so there was a stop at a museum for his Kingdom's history, but knowing that Queen Stasya had different tastes he took care to take her to see one of the Kingdom's textile mills, modernised now from its early days of steam to be more green and sustainable it produced exclusive shawls in the traditional Eskdale fashion. These were still often seen at grand events and they arrived just in time to see one Robert had comissioned for Stasya being finished, it was made out of traditional Eskdale wool and patterned in red and white, the colours of her homeland. It was probably not the most fashionable of garments for the 21st century but he hoped the fashion conscious Queen liked it. That evening there was a formal state dinner with a ball after.

The following morning King Robert bid his guests goodbye as they made their way by air force plane to Whaw in Papcastle. The jovial King Henry was waiting for them at the airport along with his family. After introductions were made they made their way to a boat waiting down by the river which would take them on a journey towards the shrine in the mountains. "Now Your Majesty" Henry began, " My daughter here is going to get things ready for some climbing when we reach the shrine." An excited 23 year old Princess Mary was already attired in clothes more fitting for a day on the rocks than a diplomatic meeting.

"I've a few nice routes picked out. I heard you've climbed Mount Highbeech during your own Regency Crisis? Perhaps one day you'd let me climb it too, obviously without the conflict going on." She chuckled nervously. "I'll go and make sure we've everything we need." She headed below deck to begin sorting ropes and harnesses before sticking her head back up the hatchway. "Sorry Queen Stasya, do you climb?" she asked before waiting for an answer and heading back below.

King Henry wanted to turn back to business now. "One of the reasons I wanted to invite you onto the river was not just to see our beautiful country." The boat was slowly heading into the hills as the river climbed towards its source somewhere deep inside Papcastle. They'd get nowhere near that point but Henry had about 90minutes to get his business done before they reached the shrine and the climbing would begin. At that point the river began to narrow quickly and cut its way down the foothills of some of the more major mountains. His daughter had wanted to take the King to some of those but having read about his back injury thought it not too wise. "You see we have several rivers like this and I'd like to build upon using them for more electric generation. Add to that our climate gives us a huge amount of sunshine up in these hills. I've also read about your nations business the SFR. I'd like to examine some agreement that would allow me to access their technology. I want Papcastle to become the first carbon neutral Kingdom in Eskdale and the environment is one area a monarch can have a direct say. You're Alps are very similar, if not bigger, than this region so what can you're Kingdom suggest?"

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2021, 09:13:39 PM »
The last thing David had expected Princess Mary, or anyone else for that matter, to bring up was the Regency Crisis. He recalled the climb six of them took over Highbeech to avoid rebel patrols, it was the forth time in his life the King had made the climb to East Moreland's highest point and the last. He suspected with his back the way it was, even after his recent operation, things would never fully get back to how they had once been. His back may be able to handle some recreational climbing, and he hoped to one day teach some skills to Rhiannon and her future sibling but the days of full on adventures in the Alps were behind him now. He also suspected his royal protection detail wouldn't be too thrilled with him hanging on ropes on challenging climbs miles from the nearest evac point.  "Princess you'd be welcome to come and climb in our Alps anytime you wish. I can recommend some very nice hillside inns that would be a great place to end a days climb."

Stasya meanwhile would have had zero interest in climbing even if she were not pregnant. It would damage her hands and nails and that would be unacceptable, especially to the East Moreland treasury. "I'm afraid Princess I don't particularly like getting my feet off the ground. It just doesn't seem natural to go around hanging off mountains only by a rope." She smiled at her husband as talk turned back to business.

David was impressed by Henry's ambitions for Papcastle. "I don't know if it is possible but could Papcastle not sign the Treaty of Wellow, its an agreement that nations will commit to targets to reduce their emissions and protect the environment. Perhaps if Papcastle signed it, or even if you just publically stated Papcastle would aim for the targets, you could persuade the whole of Eskdale to do likewise. If successful it would go a long way towards helping to bring down the levels you hope for. As for the projects you suggest I'd be happy to make introductions and from our end there would be no obsticles put in the way of people like SFR getting involved, a phone call from yourself would probably get them out here making a deal with you within days. We ourselves have several hydro-electric systems online and SFR have experimented with several programmes but we sadly are still reliant on fossil fuels too much, we've several new nuclear plants coming online soon using the repurposed nuclear warheads we have helped dispose of and that should remove our remaining fossil fuel stations by the end of the 2020's."

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2022, 08:16:12 PM »
OOC - Because of my roller coaster like graph of activity now coming to an end its my hope that I'll be more active. With that in mind me and Dave had Discorded the remaining bit of this near year long mess.

The principle outcomes are as follows.

1) A partnership between Howtown University and Chamwick University with a focus on technological excellence. An annual prize to be competed for between the two Universities for "Problem Solving" a relevant technological issue. For 2022 it will be "big data"

2) East Moreland businesses investing in facilities in Howtown will not be liable for local taxes for a period of five years.

3) EMAC to design an airplane for King Robert II. This to be constructed entirely in Howtown under EMAC supervision.

4) Blackbeck to appoint a Tech Envoy to be based in Chamwick to facilitate partner projects between Eskdale and East Moreland companies.

5) Agreement couldn't be reached on the United Kingdoms signing the Treaty of Wellow however Papcastle sign it in "Principle"

6) Papcastle and East Moreland to co-produce "environmentally friendly" military tech for use with the Papcastle militias and possibly the United Kingdoms armed forces. This will see any patents and profits shared 50/50.

7) Partnership between the Thornhill University and Royal Merriman University. Each University to offer one culture / history based course in the language of the other.

8) Thornhill University and Royal Merriman University to host an annual "Academic Olympics" between themselves.

9)Thornhill students and Morelander students to engage in an annual school exchange.

10) An agreement that Eskdale would seek "unique" route into MICA however if unsuccessful  Royal Overseer Stanley Keyes to attend a meeting in Northfort where a seperate East Moreland-Eskdale treaty will be completed.