Author Topic: Eavesdropping  (Read 223 times)

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
Eavesdropping
« on: March 13, 2024, 08:30:43 PM »

IRN Excalibur, somewhere in the Great Northern Sea.

"The flowers are in bloom on the trees your father planted so many years ago and the birds, how they sit upon the branches and sing their songs proudly, I've included an attachment of that with this message. I hope you face fair seas and following winds, I'll see you when you get home, love." Sophia touched the screen before her as a bush warbler sang out from the speakers. She didn't have time to pen a response in the moment, however, as some manner of communication would be required with the Achkaerinese given her presence in their back yard. As an added benefit, however, she would be capable of speaking with friendly forces far outside the earshot of Rowe. Knowing that most means of communication would be monitored back home she sat down at the backup communications station, placed her finger upon the telegraph key, and began to tap out a message at 25% of the power of the radio equipment. This would ensure the message was within range of the Achkaerinese, but not within any Rokkenjiman stations which would otherwise be listening in.

Code: [Select]
...- .. -.-. . / .- -.. -- .. .-. .- .-.. / ... --- .--. .... .. .- / ..-. --- .-. .-. . ... - . .-. / - --- / .- -.-. .... -.- .- . .-. .. -. . ... . .-.-.- / .--. .-.. . .- ... . / -.. .. ... .--. .- - -.-. .... / .- -. / --- ..-. ..-. .. -.-. . .-. / - --- / -- -.-- / ...- . ... ... . .-.. / .- - / -.-- --- ..- .-. / . .- .-. .-.. .. . ... - / -.-. --- -. ...- . -. .. . -. -.-. . .-.-.- / .-- . / -. . . -.. / - --- / - .- .-.. -.- .-.-.-

Translation: Vice Admiral Sophia Forrester to Achkaerinese. Please dispatch an officer to my vessel at your earliest convenience. We need to talk.

Meanwhile, IRN Edward Truden, an Obeisance Class battleship and IRN Hinagiku, a Kashiwa Class destroyer, proceeded to their berths in Setri, whilst IRN Hunting Girl took position beneath the waves of the Gulf of Safraen, maintaining her position above an underseas cable due to her stabilizers which enabled her to maintain such a position against the forces of underseas currents. Siphoning the data of a foreign nation was always be a risky proposition, however, the silence of Hunting Girl aligned with her suite of weapons and defenses offered a capability most nations could not afford. Indeed, the presence of three decoy submarines, should their victims be looking for anything underneath the waves that is, would give Hunting Girl the breathing room she needs to complete her mission. Still, even with that, the presence of the Excalibur Strike Group in the midst of the Unitary State and Achkaerin, combined with the port of call in Clysperis, Sophia was confident she had given Hunting Girl the cover she needed to complete the mission.

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
Re: Eavesdropping
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 07:51:55 PM »
Sophia smiled, she'd already gotten one of the items on her wish list. "I'll be transferring command of the group to the Edward Truden, do see that a discreet transport is arranged for me. I do believe that they're due for some manner of resupply, thus I'll make my way over then." Hours later the Vice Admiral was aboard Edward Truden; if the Achkaerinese were going to be making a visit it presented an opportunity to speak face-to-face on some concerns that would best be discussed in such a setting. Naturally an apology was to be owed, however, the circumstances at hand required a bit of ruffling to draw attention away from the primary reason she was not presently back home.

Once she had been informed that the mission of Hunting Girl had been completed she relayed the necessary orders to effect their withdrawal from the region. Despite calls for violence against Rokkenjimans by Ramose, the time spent in Clysperis by the Rokkenjimans was rather uneventful, aside from one misguided youth throwing rocks at a Rokkenjiman sailor. Once he was subdued into Clysperi custody the appetite of the crowd for further acts of violence seemed to diminish greatly, granting Forrester the chance to take pictures of the Pyramids, the Great Sphinx, and she enjoyed sampling the dishes Akasha had to offer for her guests. It wouldn't be a visit to change the entire course of their relations, but that they'd been so well received spoke toward the path of normalization which the Pharaoh had pledged her Kingdom toward.

"Let's make sure our intentions are clear," Sophia said as they reached the understood point for this "stop and search". "We'll follow the protocol we've seen in the Illumic," she continued, ordering Edward Truden's guns aimed so that they'd be wholly targeted away from any approaching Achkaerinese vessels or territory, "be prepared to strike the colours as well," she said, knowing there were a couple newer faces on the bridge. "But...why?" one would ask, which prompted Sophia to give her best Picard impression its time in the spotlight, "In case we decide to surrender to them, Number One," which prompted chuckles amongst those more well versed in Sophia's brand of humour. "In all seriousness we've inconvenienced them quite a bit," she continued, "best to let them know just why it was necessary. Have some fresh tea ready, will you?"

In some way the concerns of INIS were secondary to her; prior to Kado guiding her to opening her eyes she never would have doubted Rowe's sense of duty to the First Empire as it appeared most unshakeable. Now that she had found herself in the unenviable position of being his greatest adversary in the Imperial Rokkenjiman Armed Forces, she had to relay her concerns, perhaps find some reassuring that she wasn't witnessing something that wasn't truly there, and that friends abroad would know how to differentiate renegades from those whose loyalty remained steadfast with the Empress and Empire if the worst should transpire at some point in the future. Intelligence gathering was one part of the mission and, with that seemingly accomplished, she could focus fully upon her personal part in this, indeed, the very reason she offered no resistance to the plan in the first place.

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis