Author Topic: The Channel Crisis | Birth of a Nation OOC Discussion  (Read 5590 times)

Offline Gadshack

• Banned
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Ahkabnil
The Channel Crisis | Birth of a Nation OOC Discussion
« on: October 25, 2017, 04:41:35 AM »
The Channel Crisis | Birth of a Nation
Planning and OOC Discussion

IC Thread (coming soon)

From the early 15th to 17th century the Krimeon and Kyne Seas were bustling trade hubs for a diverse array of migratory people’s from the north and south, and a hotbed for piracy. These people, known as the Kaiop Raiders, derived from East Ardian migrators(Himeyama and Vesi) in the 8th century(correct me if i get dates wrong) and since then had culminated their own culture and way of life. They were outcast from their home societies, deemed impure for practicing different religious beliefs and more likely having unorthodox occupations, or being the extremely impoverished, or lost adventurers, all with rebellious spirit and nature. In the 17th century they had reached their peak, harassing the Ardian and Seleucid Empire’s. In the 18th century, nearly at their demise, a free slave captive native to the Aulukai isle(small island in the channels) joined the ranks of the Kaiop and eventually engineered a slave rebellion. For thousands of years the Channel had circulated in who occupied it, empire’s dealing and fighting wars over it, with cultural influences constantly shifting.

Now, it had rebelled, slaves from all over would culminate and claim their freedom on the tip of the Andean Peninsula and the isle. Piracy would flux through the Channel like wildfire and decades long Andean Anarchy Period would follow. One of uncertainty and war, where the Channel’s fate would be constantly tested. This ended by 1760 however, when Ardia had overrun the rebellion and established a permanent post on the isle, as well as beating out any potential imperial competition. Harsh slavery policies would follow for the area’s valuable resources, and so would more rebellions. Coanchua still remained an ambiguous region however, with instability yet value in it’s position. By 1814 a final and harsh rebellion would lead to slavery being outlawed on the Channel Isle. By 1850 it was apparrent that the oppressed and subjugated the people of Coanchua had developed their own identity and were an extremely mixed group. It was also apparent Kaiop piracy was still an issue. All Coanchuans were labeled ‘Kaiop’ themselves and suppression continued.

By the Great War of Mundus(1914-1945) Coanchua would be the central battleground for intensive naval battles and long winded military campaigns that sought to control it’s pivotal position. By the end of the long war that had taken a toll on the Coanchuan people, who had sought to protect their adopted homeland from all sides, anti-imperialist forces(anti-ardian empire) had collectively controlled the area, however quickly escalating tensions among themselves only cycled into a new era for supremacy and control over the Matilda Channel. Direct and inadvertent oppression followed, and control over the Channel flip-flopped. The FSC moderated the fiasco quite well, to the point where Coanchua became independent during the ‘Marigold Accord’ meeting in 1976. This was mostly justified by the mass executions of thousands of men, women and children in the country of latin-ardians by a racist scourge across the country. However this is was a mere puppet government, complicit to the Great Powers of Mundus yet neutral in order to deflect any attempt for any country to attain absolute supremacy over the Channel, even to the country that sat within it.

Economic collapse, an oppressive corrupt government and discontent would come to a head, as revolution would spark and the Coanchuan people would rise up and claim their identity in one final rebellion.

The year is 2017, and the rebellion is calling for the dissolution of the Marigold Accord and the reclamation of Coanchuan sovereignty over the Matilda Channels by guile force…

• The Marigold Accord essentially established Coanchua but it was made in such a way that Coanchua was regulated by the international community because it was seen as too important and too unstable(past rebellions and dissent/inability to govern self used as reason) plus that whole not!genocide of Ardian Mainlanders
  • A rebellion is currently rising up and gaining rapid popularity, the population is tired and rioting has been going on for some time. This is sparked also by a recent earthquake and tsunami that left the country’s initially poor infrastructure in shambles, with the population taking out their plight and inability to relieve the situation on the Marigold Accord.
  • This rebellion isn’t ideologically communist or capitalist of sorts, it vaguely want’s sovereignty, there are many sects within it that may be communist, etc, but the rebellion as a whole doesn’t represent that.
  • The current government is a monarchy, a puppet setup to embody the spirit of the Kaiop people(Kaiop, now seen a dirty term). That has failed obviously.

Now I need people to fill in various roles in this RP, mostly historical ones that will tie them into what’s going on now but anyone will still be able to join(albeit, with less initial influence.) The situation behind this, is that the rebellion which seeks to overthrow the Marigold Accord, which keeps in place a complicit and stable government,  threatens the stability and flow of trade through the Matilda Channel. This Channel may be one of the if not the most important shipping and trading lane on Mundus. Thus, this leads to conflict.

The OP(me) is the ultimate narrator of this RP, meaning what I say goes in regards to the direction of the story.

THE END GOAL: There is not set ending, but to funnel the RP in a certain overall direction, i'd say it's to have an independent Coanchuan state that's self-determined and for different sides to form around it. It could end in a complex web of relations, or even outright war. The reason outright war may not be possible however, is because historical modern wars that have been in Coanchua(attempts to entirely control it after the world war) have been in vein, as the rugged terrain and stubborn people have made it impossible.

Please state any interest or feedback in this RP if you’re interested. Reminder: you can’t be in this RP without gauging the setting and pre-planning here.

Code: (application) [Select]
[b]Country full Name[/b]:
[b]Role Played in Coanchua's History[/b]: this has to fit the outline above, no 'paragons of virtue(its history ffs)' or anything else. YOu can historical NPCs in the outline however, just know you'll be replaces back by them in the event of inactivity or CTE
[b]Modern Stance[/b]: There are limited support and against spots. There are primarily, 2 for the Marigold Accord and 2 Against, however this can expand given people are cooperative. Anyone else can be anywhere in the middle but each of your solutions, no matter what side you're on, can be unique. Remember there are valid justifications for each side of this issue given you work out the history well enough.
[b]More Details/Ideas[/b]:

Directory
This RP will likely span multiple threads, therefore here are links to relevant post and threads. All threads pertaining to this should have [BoaN] heading their titles.

Free Mundus Analysis on the initial state of Coanchua
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 10:20:03 PM by Gadshack »

Offline Glitchy

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Sutherland
Re: The Channel Crisis | Birth of a Nation OOC Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 12:15:35 PM »
Country full Name: Republic of Sutherland

Role Played in Coanchua's History: During the Great Mundus War (in which Sutherland was anti-Ardian), a lot of the fighting for the newly independent either happened in West Sutherland or (more important to this) in the Channel. During the Channel Campaign, which went from around 1920-1935, a lot of young men died as part of what's essentially this world's Gallipoli. The SANACs (our ANZACs), left a large cultural impact on the country as so many men died. With this in mind, the Sutherians became very pro-Marigold, believing that they had earned their right to the fruitful Matilda Channel.

Modern Stance: Because of the history laid out above, the majority of Sutherland and it's current government is pro-Marigold. The majority of Suvvos believe that any new shake-ups might deal a bit of a blow to the Sutherian economy, as well as be a major offence to their SANAC history. The only group in Sutherland mainly against the Matilda Accord are the Indigenous Sutherians, who are sympathetic to the Coanchuan Rebels who believe they're like themselves who had to deal with white Sutherians on their land.

More Details/Ideas: The Indigenous Sutherians will probably speak out very loud against the Sutherian government, causing potential racial tensions and riots on the level of the Cronulla Riots.
I USED TO BE LUVONIA

Sutherland Links:
- Factbook
- Characters (W.I.P)
- News
- Vignettes
- Map of Sutherland (W.I.P)

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 04:42:47 PM »
Country full Name: Holy Empire of Achkaerin

Role Played in Coanchua's History: Having fought the Ardian's in the Great War - given Gowu's position it was important to keep the supply lines open and contain the Ardian naval threat as much as possible leading to a decisive battle in 1937 where the Ardian's flagship was sunk, this combined with Sutherland success two years earlier in the Channel Campaign effectively ended the Ardian threat on the seas, allowing more forceful advances on land. Considering the importance of the trade route through the channels Achkaerin would obviously be interested in ensuring the continuation of that trade route especially with the rise of the USR bloc during the cold war years.

Modern Stance: With the USR having since fallen (though now resurgent) Achkaerin would view Marigold as a less critical treaty than it originally was, and would probably favor independence for Conchua though obviously preferred through peaceful means not an armed rebellion. Chances are Achkaerin would look for a renegotiated Marigold but accounting for a self determined Conchua potentially up to and including helping the Conchuan's develop a sustainable system.

More Details/Ideas: Quick point but Great war runs 1913-1945 as Sutherland's rebellion is the trigger - unless the rebellion is in December in which case 1914 is fine.

Now just a thought (and I don't know how much mileage there is in this) but given the timing of 1976 as Cold War era and with instability in Conchua I would like to suggest that we perhaps factor the likely fear among some nations that Conchua could become an outpost of the USR bloc, I know it may not be ideological come 2017 but in the 1970's that could be a potential reason to drive the Marigold talks into existence (this may be preferable to the genocide as a trigger but I don't know how critical that is).

On the subject of Marigold I'm also happy to suggest that Achkaerin played a major role in drafting the Accord and the actual talks and if you're up for it Gad I'm happy to offer up an Achkaerinese noble to be the present Head of State (albeit a somewhat powerless one due to the corrupt government) though if that's pursued I'd like to avoid a King/Queen title and would suggest a Duke or Duchess given that this was an installed position I doubt they'd be equal to other heads of state or that other nations would go that far, but this is just me thinking out loud.

Offline Gadshack

• Banned
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 05:10:20 PM »
Note everyone: these apps are not set, be flexible to co-op with others. I will ultimately take my closest neighbors input over anyone else's. But everyone's app is noted :)

Also, we're on a globe. Not everyone will be concerned with this. You can have interest by default if you're in the Krimoen or Kyne, but historical connections make more sense. Not everyone would be involved just for stability. Do the Channels make a vital impact on your nation? And why? First thing you should think of is geography, then get creative. If not, then get very creative. Example: Lodja won't care because they ship stuff the other way.

Example courtesy of Libby.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 05:18:43 PM by Gadshack »

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Republic of Québec
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 06:23:15 PM »
Country full Name: Ecclesiastical State

Role Played in Coanchua's History: ES entered the anti-Ardia side at the beginning of the Great War after the Pope sent a military force to aid the Sutherian revolutionaries against their colonial opressor the Ardian Empire, in one of the last and pivotal battles in 1913, (assuming) one year before the official start of the Great War. Throughout this bloody era, ES had to send military support due to the nation's values which included the need for christian unity, even more when it came to fellow catholic nations. Considering the importance of the trade route through the channels ES would obviously be interested in ensuring the continuation of that trade route as well, especially with the rise of the USR bloc during the cold war years. As of now, one of the anti-Ardian allies, Vaguzia, would have allowed for the ES navy, marines, air force etc. to make stop-overs in their former colonial island San Esperito, thus securing a possible spot for refueling and replenishing.

Modern Stance: ES had developed a neutral stance towards the Marigold treaty, considering the fact that it would being that region more stability and order if it wouldn't act in favor towards any of the two Cold-war blocks, although similarly to Achkaerin's stance, realise more than ever that independence for Conchua is more than inevitable and should be pursued although obviously preferred through peaceful means, not an armed rebellion, perhaps a re-negotiation of that treaty if possible.

More Details/Ideas: I would also like to make the suggestion that ES was part of the nations who drafted the Marigold Accords, unless of course you prefer just one nation which would more than likely be Achkaerin. Perhaps a papal visit during the cold war would have been part of calming things down in that region, as well as a modern one?

I'll make an app for Balticum once Saheri. done his first!

Offline BenOfTheIwi

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Commonwealth of the Unified Iwi
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 08:07:29 PM »
Country full Name: The Commonwealth of The Unified Iwi

Role Played in Coanchua's History: The Iwi was occupied by the Royal Seleucid Empire from c1600-2001, this occupation changed from being an informal slaving outpost, to a full on colony and then into a lengthy war for independence which saw between 1871-2001 the creation of various Maori nations that formed into a a Commonwealth in 1961 which gradually kicked the RS Empire out. In terms of this fitting in with Coanchua I envisage the Maori potentially having used the nation as a kind of smuggling route for weapons etc.

Modern Stance: The Iwi is anti-Imperialist and pro-self determination. As such they would view the Marigold Accord as having placed the desires of the more influential nations above the locals and therefore oppose it. Furthermore more with Coanchua having been connected to slavery the Iwi will view them with sympathy having been through the same issue.

More Details/Ideas: TBC

Offline Holy King

• Microstate
  • The Night is Dark, and Full of Terrors.
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Greater Foxtrove
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 10:00:47 PM »
Country full Name: Kingdom of Greater and Lesser Foxtrove
Role Played in Coanchua's History: During the Great War, Foxtrove played a backseat role during the early and mid war stages however, when it became clear that the Ardian Empire was going to lose in Coanchua, Foxtrove began to support the rebels fighting them. This was through weapons and ammo for the rebels, although they mainly gave it to ultra-nationalist and/or fascist groups. After the war concluded, the kingdom became pro-Marigold.

Modern Stance: Foxtrove remains "pro"-Marigold although they would rather control the channel themselves or at the very least a puppet-state.

Offline Gadshack

• Banned
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 11:25:01 PM »
Country full Name: Holy Empire of Achkaerin

Role Played in Coanchua's History: Having fought the Ardian's in the Great War - given Gowu's position it was important to keep the supply lines open and contain the Ardian naval threat as much as possible leading to a decisive battle in 1937 where the Ardian's flagship was sunk, this combined with Sutherland success two years earlier in the Channel Campaign effectively ended the Ardian threat on the seas, allowing more forceful advances on land. Considering the importance of the trade route through the channels Achkaerin would obviously be interested in ensuring the continuation of that trade route especially with the rise of the USR bloc during the cold war years.

Modern Stance: With the USR having since fallen (though now resurgent) Achkaerin would view Marigold as a less critical treaty than it originally was, and would probably favor independence for Conchua though obviously preferred through peaceful means not an armed rebellion. Chances are Achkaerin would look for a renegotiated Marigold but accounting for a self determined Conchua potentially up to and including helping the Conchuan's develop a sustainable system.

More Details/Ideas: Quick point but Great war runs 1913-1945 as Sutherland's rebellion is the trigger - unless the rebellion is in December in which case 1914 is fine.

Now just a thought (and I don't know how much mileage there is in this) but given the timing of 1976 as Cold War era and with instability in Conchua I would like to suggest that we perhaps factor the likely fear among some nations that Conchua could become an outpost of the USR bloc, I know it may not be ideological come 2017 but in the 1970's that could be a potential reason to drive the Marigold talks into existence (this may be preferable to the genocide as a trigger but I don't know how critical that is).

On the subject of Marigold I'm also happy to suggest that Achkaerin played a major role in drafting the Accord and the actual talks and if you're up for it Gad I'm happy to offer up an Achkaerinese noble to be the present Head of State (albeit a somewhat powerless one due to the corrupt government) though if that's pursued I'd like to avoid a King/Queen title and would suggest a Duke or Duchess given that this was an installed position I doubt they'd be equal to other heads of state or that other nations would go that far, but this is just me thinking out loud.
I like this explanation better than the genocide, it could also be that there was a growing piracy issue in reaction to occupation.

Country full Name: Ecclesiastical State

Role Played in Coanchua's History: ES entered the anti-Ardia side at the beginning of the Great War after the Pope sent a military force to aid the Sutherian revolutionaries against their colonial opressor the Ardian Empire, in one of the last and pivotal battles in 1913, (assuming) one year before the official start of the Great War. Throughout this bloody era, ES had to send military support due to the nation's values which included the need for christian unity, even more when it came to fellow catholic nations. Considering the importance of the trade route through the channels ES would obviously be interested in ensuring the continuation of that trade route as well, especially with the rise of the USR bloc during the cold war years. As of now, one of the anti-Ardian allies, Vaguzia, would have allowed for the ES navy, marines, air force etc. to make stop-overs in their former colonial island San Esperito, thus securing a possible spot for refueling and replenishing.

Modern Stance: ES had developed a neutral stance towards the Marigold treaty, considering the fact that it would being that region more stability and order if it wouldn't act in favor towards any of the two Cold-war blocks, although similarly to Achkaerin's stance, realise more than ever that independence for Conchua is more than inevitable and should be pursued although obviously preferred through peaceful means, not an armed rebellion, perhaps a re-negotiation of that treaty if possible.

More Details/Ideas: I would also like to make the suggestion that ES was part of the nations who drafted the Marigold Accords, unless of course you prefer just one nation which would more than likely be Achkaerin. Perhaps a papal visit during the cold war would have been part of calming things down in that region, as well as a modern one?

I'll make an app for Balticum once Saheri. done his first!

Not sure what the pope coming to Coanchua would have done, i'm not planning on it being christian or any rl religion at the moment. Otherwise seems fine, just make sure to work with others to compensate for your distance but seems you have that. Talk with Ach too and anyone else involved in the Accord.

Country full Name: Kingdom of Greater and Lesser Foxtrove
Role Played in Coanchua's History: During the Great War, Foxtrove played a backseat role during the early and mid war stages however, when it became clear that the Ardian Empire was going to lose in Coanchua, Foxtrove began to support the rebels fighting them. This was through weapons and ammo for the rebels, although they mainly gave it to ultra-nationalist and/or fascist groups. After the war concluded, the kingdom became pro-Marigold.

Modern Stance: Foxtrove remains "pro"-Marigold although they would rather control the channel themselves or at the very least a puppet-state.

The light support thing is fine until we reach Foxtrove wanting control of the Channels, that doesn't make such sense considering you're most southern country from them. Work with the Marigold alliance to lend support, talk to Ach and others OOCly.

The further away you are from the Channels, the more I implore you work with other countries and go through closer neighbors to support your agenda or a side. In other words, follow Saheristan, Iwi, RS, and anyone else in close proximity to the Channel who wants to be involved.

Offline Sam

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Saheristan
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 12:09:20 AM »
Country full Name: Republic of Saheristan

Role Played in Coanchua's History: Historically Coanchuan piracy contributed to the collapse of the Maziar Sultanate's economy, leading to Saheristan's eventual takeover by Balticum in the Baltic-Asharid War of 1798-1801. See more context for this here.

Coanchua was the main transit point for weaponry which fuelled the 1954-1962 War of Independence against Balticum. Coanchuan mercenaries also took part in the war.

Later,  the 1983 Channel War followed a military coup in Saheristan. Aiming to legitimise their government with glory, the ruling junta invaded Coanchua to settle territorial disagreements, believing that the international community would have no time to protest if the war was won quickly enough. Overestimating their own amphibious capabilities, and underestimating the Coanchuan defenders, the Saheristani forces were only able to take an initial beachhead and surrounding region, and were unable to dislodge the determined Coanchuan defenders. Despite an intensive air bombardment of Coanchua, the Saheristanis were forced to withdraw in humiliation under international pressure. Diplomatic relations between the two countries were restored some time later, but remain frosty.

Modern Stance: Anti-Marigold.

Saheristan's historical background as a colonised land contributes to an anti-imperialist culture, lending some popular sympathy to the Coanchuan rebels. Saheristan has been invaded an conquered time and time again; and is paranoid whenever faced with foreign interventionism near their borders. This means the Marigold Accords are not viewed favourably, but seen as another example of foreign imperialism.

There is significant overlap of Saheristan and Coanchua's exclusive economic zones, an issue that remains undressed by the failure of the Channel War, contributing to chilly relations between the two countries; the cause of the Channel War. The Saheristani government views a change of administration in the Channel as an opportunity to break this stalemate. Furthermore, their own experiences of incompetent or tyrannical monarchs fuels a general distrusts of monarchies, cooling relations with the current Coanchuan monarchy further.

In summary, these two factors combined mean that Saheristan's government is against the Marigold Accord because it illustrates imperialism on their doorstep (which they have a historical paranoia about), and because their relationship with the current Coanchuan puppet monarchy is very poor, due to the aforementioned historical war and territorial disputes.

Ideally, Saheristan would like to use the present chaos to readdress their economic boundaries with Coanchua and establish influence over their government. However, the main goal is the establishment of a Coanchua that is not beholden to the Great Powers, whom Saheristan feel threatened by.

President Khalid Amin Ashkan
The Republic of Saheristan

Wiki Pages:
Saheristan Profile
Insurgency in Lalishistan

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 05:46:32 PM »
Country full Name: Royal Seleucid

Role Played in Coanchua's History: During the early establishment of the Royal Seleucid Empire the monarchs saw the land of the nearby Iwi as perfect for use for agriculture and taking slaves as such by around 1600 they had subjigated much of the modern Commonwealth. I suspect during this time they would have viewed Coanchua and the island as a perfect logistical point to conduct their slavery operations from and would probably have established trading ports there. By the 19th Century however the Empire was beginning to show signs of cracking as it had over extended itself and Iwi nationalism was beginning to fight back. During the "Great War" (or whatever we're calling it) RS would have been more concerned with holding onto its Empire than with actually seeing the bigger picture.

Modern Stance: The RS are pro Marigold seeing it as their last opportunity to have influence in the Channel region.

More Details/Ideas: Try and catch you on discord soon and you can fill me in with more detail etc.

Offline Gadshack

• Banned
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 04:10:27 AM »
Basically everyone is approved except the few things i asked to addressed. Basic history atm:

Aulukai Isle was first inhabited by the Ipo natives and a few Maori tribes, forming three primary petty kingdoms and dozens of chiefdoms. In later centuries, piracy became a large issue in the Kyne and Krimeon Seas, perpetuated by the same group of people known as the Kaiop. These people were a highly mixed ethnic group, and largely influenced by Ipo culture as Aulukai Isle was a mid point between the two lucrative seas. The Kaiop chiefly derived from Orekara, groups of people from Eastern Ardia, from Toshikawa, Himeyaman and Vesian migrants to western Ardia, as the Orekara were outcast ostracized groups from their societies. They resorted to nomadic life and would go on to support piracy, becoming known as the Kaiop. They adapted and assimilated with many other cultures, the Kaiop grew as a centuries long pirate disturbance to beckoning empires, inviting outcast and criminals into their ranks.

Meanwhile Empires had constantly fought over and traded off the Matilda Channel, and Aulukai Isle. The Ardians, Seleucid, Saheristan, and more, would range in control over the Channels. Seleucid would finally hold ultimate dominion over the Matilda Channels and Andean Peninsula in the end, using the area as a central slave trading outpost. Aulukai Isle itself became impoverished with slaves and normal Kaiopi people, like families of women and children, would make up an increasingly large demographic in the Matilda Channel. A slave rebellion, led by the Kaiop Pirates themselves would spark years on unrest and war with Seleucid in the 19th century, with the crumbling of their empire. Slaves became pirates, pirates became revolutionaries, and all the Kaiop, natives and slaves rebelled. By the Great War, the mixed Kaiop people of Coanchua, as former slaves and ostracized people from all over, would launch a long and destabilizing guerilla war on land and at sea.

With the aid of Sutherland, Achkaerin and Balticum Coanchua was officially free of direct Imperial War and went on to contribute elite troops in the Great War, gaining their own unique notoriety as fierce warriors, specifically Kaiop Marines and Pilots contributed greatly in the Mhorish Sea Campaign against the Ardian Empire. However Coanchua didn't have a sufficient government, on the hinges of civil war between differing ideological sides, one supported by Rodina and others the anti-Ardian coalition, the Marigold Accord was formed to govern the Matilda Channels as a neutral, puppet bystander. The people of Coanchua, felt betrayed and the Koingia people(mix of Kaiop, slave and native now the majority of Coanchuans, ethnic not racial group) lashed out against the latin Ardian displaced migrants in the country, incurring further penalties from the Marigold Accord. The people of Coanchua would feel oppressed and yet again ostracized by the world, simmering in hate as a monarchy was imposed on them in 1978.

The Marigold Accord was further justified by increasing piracy in the region, a call back to the anarchist days of the Kaiop pirates. Now, the country is a powderkeg, with a recent earthquake and tsunami destroying alot of the countries' infrastructure, rebels are gaining ground and violence is on the rise. People are calling for death to the monarchy, and death the Marigold Accord...

Offline Gadshack

• Banned
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 04:14:42 AM »
Saheristan: would you be opposed to having Kaiop people on your Channel coast? One's that you maybe conquered once and assimilated, the Kaiop are basically pirate gypsies from everywhere though taking after Himeyaman and Toshikawan migrants(Wokou pirate analogue irl). the Koingia are an ethnic group deriving from anything Kaiop, Slave or native mixed into one, in a loosely similar vein to what mestizo is. Though, alot of these people may just say their 'Coanchuan' now, even ethnically.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 01:34:22 PM »
Just thought of something which may mean a slight alteration - at the end of our Great War period there's going to be a peace treaty (probably negotiated and signed in early 1946) now given that that period includes the falling apart of the Quenye and Ardian Empires we're going to have self determination rights in there somewhere due to the amount of states either coming into existence or being freed from those Empires. I'm just not sure that thirty years later the same nations that negotiated that treaty are going to turn around and impose a monarchy on Coanchua. I can see Marigold being about the establishment of a constitution and state for Coanchua that may in some way be at odds with local elements and culture but I don't think any agreement is going to ostracize them because if it did then Rodina goes in by the back door.

Basically I think Marigold has to be a sound agreement that establish's a self determined government with international oversight (this being the 'monarch' who ensures the neutrality) but gets exploited by the people that get elected into government for example.

Offline Sam

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Saheristan
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 01:41:30 PM »
Saheristan: would you be opposed to having Kaiop people on your Channel coast? One's that you maybe conquered once and assimilated, the Kaiop are basically pirate gypsies from everywhere though taking after Himeyaman and Toshikawan migrants(Wokou pirate analogue irl). the Koingia are an ethnic group deriving from anything Kaiop, Slave or native mixed into one, in a loosely similar vein to what mestizo is. Though, alot of these people may just say their 'Coanchuan' now, even ethnically.

Entirely up for this. These people will generally be discriminated against but nothing like as badly as the Lalishi.

President Khalid Amin Ashkan
The Republic of Saheristan

Wiki Pages:
Saheristan Profile
Insurgency in Lalishistan

Offline Gadshack

• Banned
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 10:03:41 PM »
Just thought of something which may mean a slight alteration - at the end of our Great War period there's going to be a peace treaty (probably negotiated and signed in early 1946) now given that that period includes the falling apart of the Quenye and Ardian Empires we're going to have self determination rights in there somewhere due to the amount of states either coming into existence or being freed from those Empires. I'm just not sure that thirty years later the same nations that negotiated that treaty are going to turn around and impose a monarchy on Coanchua. I can see Marigold being about the establishment of a constitution and state for Coanchua that may in some way be at odds with local elements and culture but I don't think any agreement is going to ostracize them because if it did then Rodina goes in by the back door.

Basically I think Marigold has to be a sound agreement that establish's a self determined government with international oversight (this being the 'monarch' who ensures the neutrality) but gets exploited by the people that get elected into government for example.
Hmm, this can work timeline wise, however for this to currently work Marigold would have to have a few regulatory standards on Coanchua, limiting it as an independent state and for the monarch to be seen as a puppet. Living conditions also can't be well, something along the way has to throw a kink in the Marigold Accord like perhaps Royal Seleucid supporting it, a former state that brought slaves to Coanchua and fought the Kaiop pirates.

Now perhaps communist threats backed by Rodina rose in Coanchua, thus leading to more direct intervention in it's politics? Not that it would be nefarious or unfair, just necessary. Coanchua would be a neutral zone but also a mix of undercover intrigue going back and forth between different sides.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 03:59:35 PM »
Think we could also factor in that Nueva Ardia went communist after the war and had a revolution in the mid 1960's - been doing Historical Nations today so had to dig up the factbook.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 04:16:23 PM by Achkaerin »

Offline Gadshack

• Banned
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 03:32:07 AM »
    Right so re-edit then, and this is just modern history:

Coanchua aided the anti-ardian powers in the world war or great war or whatever(sidenote: maybe find alternate names when we can cause 'great war' just sounds like ww1). A brief history before this happened, is that in the 19th century a Kaiop pirate led slave rebellion took advantage of crumbling Royal Seleucid, proclaiming independence under a Kaiop Queen who would be executed with several wars proceeding that, however Seleucid was stretched thin and did their best to maintain order by maintaining a small port city. This port would be destroyed leading up to the world war. During the world war Seleucid would try to invade the Channels and take full control of them with the help of Ardia. Sutherland would be the main help in the war against Seleucid and Ardia, in 1935 both had been brutality beaten in the theater and Kaiop marines(elite troops compared to Ghurka's) would continue to furiously defend their homeland and fight in other theaters, most notably years later in Nurashima.

After the war, the Marigold Accord was formed to formalize a government for Coanchua, a convention was held and a republic was deemed a fit system. It established various constraints that made sense at the time, enforced by the Coanchuan government in fear of communist rebelling by Rodina, however Coanchua had remained isolated due to the neutrality clause of the Marigold Accord, with approval needed from the Marigold Accord(a representative) for much of the nation's policy, due to it's central position and fate if fallen under the sphere of Rodina. Disorder and unrest had enforced the need for a Marigold Accord, as well as heightened aggression against Latin-Ardian and Seleucid descendant people in Coanchua. The Saheristani invasion in the 80s under it's own cause brought Coanchua further under the Marigold Accord, with Coanchua successfully fending off the invasion with naval aid from Accord nations.

Coanchua can be considered developing, an unintended consequence of the Accord(neutrality, isolation) combined with government corruption, furthered by economic downturn in the last decade and up to this day, the Coanchuan economic situation has fallen. Many despise the rich, most foreign descendant and not Kaiop-Koingia mixed who profit from the Channel as a lucrative shipping lane. The corrupt Coanchuan government wishes to keep the Accord to both protect any interest that are reliant on it and the fear of a new communist state's rise, Kaitaine, which has a deadly Zircon missile and has been found to support communist efforts in the country. However, since the fall of communist rodina many believe the Accord is a thing of the past and rebels groups have spurred again, calling for change.

Coanchua has experienced a string of bad events that have led to the societal outlook today. Two terrible Typhoons in the past ten years and most recently a season of earthquakes and tsunami's that devastated the country in an already peril economic situation, leading many to believe that a self-determined Coanchua would be able to recover and nationalist rebels gain popularity. Since the 80s after the Channel war, insurgency has been popular in certain parts of the country and today it is at it's height, with government troops battling hardened-rebels across the country. Thousands have died in these supposed wars, as the rebels also perpetuate a lucrative and dangerous illegal drug trade in the area in fund their operations, it has partially been a fight against both rebels and drugs in the Cross-Seas.

This leads to where we are today, with the government crumbling with rebellious mobs at their doorstep. The situation is dire and rebels, which are hostile to the Accord and what it views as imperial nations, are close to entirely overthrowing the government in a final violent finale. An organized revolution had been declared however, one that seeks to negotiate Coanchua's terms of true independence, while throwing out the foreign backed government and establishing sovereign benefit from the Channels. With the history present and the Channels being such a strategic economic and political position, this brings in our cast of nations(who have applied)

Offline Gadshack

• Banned
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 11:59:51 PM »
I'm starting this tomorrow, apps cut off until everyone who has applied has posted or passed.

Offline Gadshack

• Banned
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 10:14:04 PM »
Okay I didn't start it but i technically did... https://independentorder.net/index.php?topic=214.msg2951#msg2951

Basically i'm taking preliminary steps to build it up ICly, that article is the present state of Coanchua

Offline Gadshack

• Banned
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2017, 04:14:45 PM »
So our starting time is jumbled. We have

1. Achkaerin sending an unknown number of ships and types to ensure easy extraction(specifications plz)

2. RS sending A-10s basically, a 6 hour flight

3. Saheristan CIA sending heavy ground weapons to rebels

So before this turns into a clusterfuck, each post takes place down the timeline from eachother. So we can assume, RS sending A-10s is known, who can miss that and Saheristan reacted later(edit your post if you will to make things clear IC'ly) but given the proximity weapons got to the rebels in a timely manner. What i'm going to do with this, is the A-10s arriving will be a day or several hour flashback running congruently with the Saheristani meeting with rebels(happening now) and then they'll eventually be meeting in the middle with the present.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2017, 04:55:35 PM »
Ships on the way are the INS Fawn Azurewind, the INS Excalibur and the INS Unified, it's simply a mishmash of three ships that Achkaerin has available at the present moment. Basically they'll camp outside the Coanchua EEZ and operate from there.