Author Topic: West Aranye International Throng (W.A.I.T.)  (Read 6028 times)

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Neu Uburzis
West Aranye International Throng (W.A.I.T.)
« on: December 31, 2018, 05:04:07 PM »
To the Nations physical Seated in the Western half of Aranye,

we see the Continents of Ardia struggling to find common ground, while in Alba Karyna and Albion Nations cuddle together like old couples.

In the Empire of Neu Uburzis, none of the current Approaches would work, and we believe they would not with most other Nations in Western Aranye.

Yet the need to talk with each other and find solutions before we see bad blood and only talk to each other via Newspapers seems greater than ever.

For this reason we propose an official Channel for the Nations in Western Aranye, allowing us to find quick and direct response to each other while not tying us down to overbearing treaties and organisations.

We have thought up the W.A.I.T. system (West Aranye International Throng), a set of Standby connections for Government officials, not unlike a Red Phone room. Instead of linking two Nations and Leaders together, we intend to link several together if needed for a quick and unified response, while allowing us to opt out if desired.

To discuss this idea, and possible ways for Implementation, we hereby invite the Governments and Leaders of the Western Arayne Nations to Neu Uburzis City.

Respectfully,

Elder Robert of Niameck, Speaker to the Elder Senate
Prince Albrecht of Uburzis, Regent to Emperor Orion the First

Offline Viljandi

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Viljandi
Re: West Aranye International Throng (W.A.I.T.)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 10:08:30 AM »
Huisslandia will be willing to come to a proof of concept of such an organisation. We'll of course need to find other members who are interested

Offline Xaeth

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Alakhwan
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 12:41:07 AM »
The Most Serene and Celestial Empire of Xæth supports the creation of such a network, and is willing to attend the meeting in Neu Uburzis City. We are most interested to discuss specifics and potential implementation of such a network.

Sincerely,
The Most Serene and Celestial Empress Ælirn XIX xy Thælyrn

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lakhzovia
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 09:27:33 AM »
The Lakhzov Republic feels that the strengthening of ties and opening of additional channels of communication in the West of Cotf Aranye is a positive development.

We are therefore happy to participate and lend our full support to the initiative.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 06:53:25 PM »
The Holy Empire of Achkaerin supports this network and is prepared to attend the meeting to discuss the specifics.

Signed

Emperor Peter Azurewind

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 01:54:48 PM »
Sometime early January 2019, Neu Uburzis City, Imperial Palace

Albrecht had prepared the Grand Hall with several mall stalls for his Tech Support to set up an example of how he envisioned W.A.I.T. - while the Guests could walk past it, they saw two sets of exemplary set ups.

One the Size of a whole Office room, with a chair and working Desk in the Middle, while Several large Monitors ahead where hanging from the Ceiling with printed Pictures of the arrivals draped over them. This Example was held in dark, cool colors, Mimicking a round meeting room with the recipients replaced by the Display of their imagery.

The second was far smaller, Setup as a simple office desk with Six Large Monitors and a comfortable chair, reminiscent of a high end "gamer" setup or an integrated rescue control center.

The guests where lead past the setups at arrival and to a small room upstairs. Should Emperor Peter attend in Person he might even recall the room as his first reception room from the Coronation Dinner. Albrecht waiting to shake their hands while Two boys, approximately eight and ten years old, stood there waiting at a small side table with a selection of tea, coffee and Cakes.

"Welcome, please take a seat. I figured we'd have questions ahead of going into the technicalities. Sebastian and Ludwig here will help you out today with our fine selection. If you do not see anything of your liking we have the kitchen bring something else."

Offline Viljandi

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 10:06:57 PM »
First Consul of Huisslandia Helmar Van L’Rois had arrived. It seemed she was the first one there.  “Ah Prince Albrecht. How are you? A pleasure to meet you.” Helmar said with a smile. “I must say I am liking the reception. I do look forward to the concept and seeing what you have in mind for such an organisation.” She looked down to the two young boys “And who are these two fine young gentlemen?”

Offline Xaeth

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 06:15:17 PM »
Ælirn had decided to attend this meeting personally, although she had to admit to herself that perhaps she was taking a bit too much personal initiative. She'd been to how many events in the past few months? The past few weeks? She needed to start delegating these sorts of things to other people, but that was so much more work than just going herself. But she decided to push those thoughts out of her mind for the moment; she needed to focus on the event she was in the middle of attending. Upon arriving in the reception room she shook Albrecht's hand with a smile, though it was perhaps a tad awkward as while she understood the simple gesture it was still one that was foreign to her.

"It is nice to see you again," Ælirn said, a polite smile on her face, "And I am excited at the prospect of greater cooperation in the region, I must say."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 12:18:38 AM »
The cause of continental cooperation and coordination had been one that Achkaerin had pushed for before, without a lot of success it had to be said but that wasn't really something Sakura was thinking about. She'd seen a lot over her quite short diplomatic career so far and this one was right up her street. Her companion for the trip was William Amberbrook, courtesy of a concerted push within the Achkaerinese leadership to spread out the diplomatic workload. It slightly amused Sakura she could still remember her first time out in this sort of role she'd shadowed Serenity at the Commonwealth Conference and now here she was a couple of years later as the one being shadowed.

Upon their arrival it was plain to see they weren't the only ones there, a good sign as far as Sakura was concerned she had after all had her father's briefing on this and understood the potential opportunities a larger number of nations being involved could bring. She smiled as she and William made their approach.

"Prince Albrecht nice to finally meet you." Sakura said to their host "May I introduce William Amberbrook who's accompanying me today."

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 06:17:25 PM »
"These two are the sons of Alexandra's second to youngest, Ajax. The older one is Sebastian, Ludwig the short. It's a traditional duty when hosting Nobles or high ranking Politicians for the Imperial children, and we figured last year to extend this to foreign Dignitaries and not just for our own. Though since there are no Press Cameras in here we ditched the false identities from the first two occasions. It's a long story."

Ludwigs was fiddling with his fly while Sebastian bobbed back and forth on his feet in the small tailcoat, before smiling at the guests:

"Can i get you something? The shortcake is very good."

Albrecht gently put a hand of Sebastians raven black hair, patting him much to Sebastian's visible dislike, before turning to Aelirn and Sakura:

"Your Highness, a pleasure to meet you. Traditionally Neu Uburzis itself is a huge block to interaction. We have a very set idea of what is and is not alright to try and push on another nation. It lead to us walking out of the last meeting to revise the MCUR."

Albrecht then turned to Sakura, nodding: "It is a pleasure to finally make your acquaintance." nodding to her companion: "sir."

Albrecht then took a seat, while Ludwig gave him a cup of coffee, allowing the guests to choose:

"Just to make one thing clear, i do not thing the Wait would work as an Organisation per se, i envision more of a joined platform where we can quickly work out where our stances are and make it easier, if need be, to quickly coordinate action."

He nodded to sakura: "Just as an example, it would be better for all of us to talk to each other before we declare to build naval blockades. It's not meant to prevent any of you taking actions. But that we try and find a path for joined statements and actions."

he made a huge gesture with the spoon from his cup:

"It would boost the position of almost everyone here to find common ground with each other. And in the least, it allows us to forger chains of trust between us, and that is, in my opinion, Waits strongest point."

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Seaforth
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 09:57:26 PM »

Duke Raynald Lachlan, Foreign Minister of Seaforth strode purposefully into the venue. King Andrew was otherwise occupied but both men had their doubts about whether this latest attempt at a regional association would work. Just look at Ardia...and the fact NU walked out (justifiably in his opinion) of the latest MCUR party. Still, it was the first time Seaforth had participated in a West Aranye conference and the Duke was well aware that he, speaking for Seaforth, could likely tip the outcome one way or another.

"Prince Albrecht, a pleasure to finally meet you."

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 10:25:13 PM »
"Duke Lachland, i was just starting to talk about what i think WAIT can be, and what it cannot be. Please, have a seat and let the boys get you some treats."

Albrecht nodded, while the younger boy Ludwig offered him one of the Armchairs:

"I feel like the Lakhzovian representative might run a little late. No harm done if we talk a little ahead. As i just was about explaining, my Vision for Wait is mainly about forging understanding and Trust between us, rather than be an organsiation like the AKO. We barely know enough about each, and frankly are to different than it could work at this point in time. I want us, however, to be able to quickly coordinate with each other, or at least talk to each before we send ship to the other's shores."

Offline Viljandi

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 08:44:50 PM »
Äh I see."First Consul L'Rois replied "So you will be using this as a forum so that all of us can co-ordinate the affairs of our regional of the world in a more consensus based manner?."She politely asked. "I have to admit this agreement would be convenient for my nation to use this as a forum to express our nations wish to forge better relations with their neighbours especially Huisslandia's northern neighbour Lakhzovia especially in the areas of visa ease of access programs and also some FTA and heavy investment in transport infrastructure to ensure more efficient travel for citizens traveling between our two nations. Which is why we kind of waiting for our Lakhzovia counterpart to arrive. Huisslandia believes in multilateral institutions of course which is why we hope that WAIT can be a good first step towards one."She express in her usual soft spoken and calm demeanor.

(OOC: Yeah bascially I hope to use se this as a substitute to Lakhzovia and my nerfed bilateral thread. My rational is if there was going to be an organisation that can pretty much do the same thing as what my character said in IC then yeah just go with that).

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 11:37:36 AM »
Tesan Cikniye was running late, much to his annoyance. The announcement by Kadassa of a snap election in Lakhzovia had thrown the government into a frenzy of activity that had begun to take its toll on him.

"Please accept my apologies for my lateness" he said as he was ushered into the meeting room "Your aide was kind enough to brief me on what I have missed and provide me with the provisional agenda." He took a seat and helped himself to a glass of water "President Kadassa sends his apologies, he would have preferred to have been here himself, however there are pressing issues that demand his attention back in lakhzovia. He has, however, expressed his enthusiastic support for the creation of some form of coordinating mechanism between the nations of Western Aranye, it has been our feeling in Lakhzovia for some time that this would be much to the benefit of our region."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 12:40:52 AM »
Sakura stretched out her arms, the muscle tension from the flight still lingered slightly, still they were all here weren't they? And it sounded like they had a starting point.

"What I presume Prince Albrecht means by an 'Organisation' is one where there is an extensive charter which outlines obligations and liabilities of members, now there's not anything wrong with that if a nation wants to sign up to that equally there's nothing wrong with nations not feeling that they can agree to that sort of thing. Now WAIT however it ends up constituted is to some extent going to be an organisation because we're going to have written down somewhere an agreement to do something to bring it into being.

However I feel that the fostering of stronger coordination and communication between our nations is potentially better achieved in a face to face situation than by using a phone network, it's more reliable, more efficient and it's cheaper. I'm just curious as to why an expansive and expensive phone network is the proposed idea when the same principle is upheld by putting national representatives in a room much like we all are at this moment especially if we go on later to discuss something around events happening elsewhere on our continent." Sakura said

Offline Xaeth

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 12:58:56 AM »
"Well Prince Albrecht did say WAIT is meant to be quick, and face-to-face communications are slower. Representatives need to be briefed by their home nation, assemble together, inform their home nation of whatever decisions were made, and whatnot," Ælirn said, sitting down with nothing but a simple glass of water, "Though, I don't see any reason why WAIT should be permanently limited solely to the phone network, if it works out."

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 10:46:40 AM »
"I don't believe that utilising a phone network would necessarily preclude face to face meetings also being utilised." said Cikniye "While it is true that meeting in person can often prove fruitful, I envision that there will be times where the use of the communication network to be particularly useful. For example situations that require a coordinated response, but which by their nature do not afford the time that would be required to gather representatives in a room.

If I were to use one scenario as an example, if a surprise attack on a West Aranyean nation led to a rapidly deteriorating security situation it may be beneficial to have a means to convene crisis talks almost immediately without the need to select representatives, fly them to a host country and convene a formal face to face meeting. When time is of the essence every minute counts.

As the the nature of such an agreement going forward, I concur with the Achkaerinese that it would be an organisation of a form simply from the fact that the participating nations would need to agree to a set of protocols etc. that said it should not be seen to be an organisation in the sense that it would seek to impose conditions or decisions on members. Rather we would like to see it as a way for greater understanding and where possible voluntary cooperation towards shared regional goals."

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 12:14:05 PM »
"I'd say WAIT is more a promise and an agreement to try and work better with each other. As i said, seeing especially the AKO, we Aranyans are left in the Dust trail they leave behind. But i simply can not see us cooperating on that level, at least not at this point in time."

He sipped from a cup of Tea Sebastian gave him, slowly putting it down on the plate he held in his left hand:

"There is a truth to both sides of it. Decisive Talks about treaties will remain face to face, WAIT can not replace those. I can agree with Miss Sakura there, but i think Mister Cikyne has a similar Vision to mine what WAIT can achieve. It will not suddenly make us move and intervene. It will not make us go and side with people because we had a nice chat."

Albrecht turned his head over to miss sakura, then back to Cikyne: "But unlike Aechakerin, we didn't even have an official stance on the civil war in Lakhzovia, just as an example. And that won't do any of us any good. If we can get us at least acknowledging and talking with each other in times as dire as those, we might get one step further than we where before. Baby steps maybe, but steps forward."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 01:21:35 AM »
"No one here has yet to suggest anything like the level of the AKO we've only discussed approach's to how communication is best achieved for what this is which is an organisation in some form. We're not saying go to the level of the AKO or the Assembly of Ardia and throw in the economic and movement provisions but I do personally believe that their method of communication is correct. Now let's take the points made by our Xaethoon friend - it doesn't matter whether it's on the phone or face to face a situation is going to require the person involved to have a briefing, but by adopting the communication of organisations such as the AKO you take the travel time out of the equation because everyone is represented in the same place at the same time on a permanent basis, and then in terms of reporting back that hasn't been a problem for any other organisation that works in this way and I don't see why it would be for WAIT." Sakura said

All the while she'd been talking Sakura had also been writing in a piece of paper which she now put in the middle of the table

1) Headquarters of WAIT located in ________________

2) Members of WAIT agree to the posting of a permanent ambassador and staff as deemed appropriate to WAIT

3) Any WAIT member may give notice of intention to discuss a topic of concern to WAIT, the discussion must begin within four hours of notice being given.

4) WAIT members agree to bear the maintenance costs of the HQ equally between themselves.

"If I were drawing this up as an agreement that's what it would be for several reasons firstly it does what you want it to do it establishes the method of communication, secondly it's aspirational it sets the foundation for something that may develop in the future, like you say baby steps. And all of that is frankly more robust than a phone network.

Now taking the example that Mr Cikniye outlined, it's already happened twice in recent years not counting Lakhzovia's recent conflict. Firstly it happened in Seaforth the Eugenics war, secondly it happened in Revana. In both instances the CIS was able to discuss the situation, formulate a plan and then implement it in a timely manner and they used this approach. It strikes me that if travel time is the issue then eliminating it is the solution and we still get the communication network that we want."

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2019, 03:18:38 AM »
"I don't know about cheaper Sakura...the cost of a building, maintenance, plus each nation stationing staff there and maintaining an office...it all adds up to more than a phone system. I will agree that it is more reliable and efficient when coordinating discussions among several nation and thus, in my estimation is well worth the cost associated with that forum."

Offline Viljandi

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2019, 06:27:10 AM »
Huiss Consul Helmar Van L'Rois spoke "I'm sorry I am confused. What is the exact nature of WAIT here? If it is a communication network to better co-ordinate efforts towards regional cohesion than fine. I just thought it would be something more. Not an AKO type organisation but more of a free trade area or some kind of trading and free movement bloc. If the members aren't willing to do that its fine. Huisslandia is always willing to enter into a multilateral institution to achieve regioanl peace for itself and its neighbours. I just need further clarification because so far we have only talked about how to administer the organisation without getting to the root of what the organisation's actual function is." She replied in her susual polite and composed demeanor.

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2019, 11:49:02 AM »
"My understanding is that it would be an organisation for coordination, but without the sort of legally binding clauses that come with more formalised regional organisations.

I take it that in cases of consensus or agreement between countries arising from discussions that nations can voluntarily opt in to more formal arrangments. So if for example a discussion is held on the principles of visa free travel and a number of nations are in agreement, those that wish to can enter into a mutlilateral agreement to institute such a policy.

Further as the relationship between member states strengthens it may well be the case that at some point in the future that a move towards a more formalised organisation will occur, I just do not feel we are at that stage yet."

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 01:30:58 PM »
Albrecht nodded slowly:

"My intention is among the Lines of what the Lakhzovian representative has said. But i'd suggest, as the Huiss Consul pointed out, that we first go back down and take a look at possible examples of what and how we want this to look. There is little point in Discussing Headquarters and Obligations before we even have decided onto what it is we will implement."

Making their way down, they reach the Previous two Setups, Albrecht taking a Seat in one:

"Essentially we have several Questions here. One being, do we want this to be restricted to only full Round conversations? I do believe restricting it in this way seems unnecessary. There's the Question of the necessity of Stand by Duty. We all need sleep at times."

Albrecht nodded to the larger Setup, made up of the Life sized Monitors, before taking a seat:

"There's also the question of Security. We could go with simple encryptment and later upgrade to a Wait Only Satellite link. Personally i had hoped to install Wait as Decentralized Network. Aside from a potential Satellite it would make everyone Responsible for his own Equipment, and would eliminate the necessity of Headquarters of what is, for a lack of better word, a fancy Phone Booth."

"I can understand the Reluctance to agree with W.a.i.t. if it has seemingly only limited uses outside of being a direct phone line. But i think that in itself would be a huge improvement. Let's just say a controversial TV add runs in your country, and instead of having to wait for hours, you can get the possibly offended party right away and get a joined Statement done before evening. The world of information is faster than it sued to be, and i do believe in the necessity to get up to speed."

He then  leaned back in the mock setup, glancing over:
"Admittedly this setup here has a Villains Lair Vibe from a B-rank Movie, but i like it. It's even possible we all run different Setups. I desire for W.a.i.t. to be as individually customizable as possible. We are different to each other as we are. And i know of at least two nations here that have an issue with the idea of Imperialistic influences taking over. We can't just wish them away, we will ave to proof our people that WAIT isn't taking away their sovereignity,, but adding to in."

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 06:38:08 PM »
"If you reach for the low bar, the low bar is what you will grasp." Said Duke Lachlan.

"I'm not seeing any point in a fancy phone system and a promise to talk. If the Kingdom of Seaforth needs to contact the leadership of any nation here we can pick up our current phone. It works quite well. If it involves more than one nation we can organize a face to face. What you are suggesting is insufficiently ambitious, indeed, I would go so far as to say it's counter productive to our aims."

"You compare us to being left in the dust when compared to the AKO,...well what you describe is the dust. Frankly, Seaforth already uses state of the art secure communications and we don't see the need for another system. Where we see value is a continental forum. A place where our various diplomatic services can hash out the agreements or bring concerns forward to another nation well before involving Kings, Emperors or Presidents. In all honesty, if a foreign leader contacted King Andrew to complain about a TV commercial, he would probably just hang up. A forum, however, would allow us to discuss concerns and coordinate responses to issues that affect us as a whole. Drought, wild fires and other environmental concerns....various economic issues...the list goes on and there need not be a blanket agreement or legal requirement to join."

Offline Xaeth

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2019, 05:26:14 PM »
"You can pick up your phone and call but, at least in Xæth, it is unlikely to go anywhere since the encrypted phone line is used for intranational affairs. So we don't give that number out to anyone. International issues go through the Ministry for Foreign Affairs," Ælirn says, having been silently in thought prior, "This is a step in the right direction, but I do agree that it isn't necessarily much. But, WAIT doesn't necessarily have to be one or the other. A phone-line and a forum both have their merits, can we not just do both? And allow countries to opt in to either, or both, of them?"

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2019, 02:31:14 PM »
"Lakhzovia finds that an agreeable compromise."

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 05:21:14 PM »
Albrecht leaned back, listening:

"I think that sounds fair. As the Empress mentioned, you wouldn't be able to just phone me either of right now. As for a Forum, we might it be just digital as well. Depending on which Spheres we wish to add to it, potentially different for everyone, we might be ale to pool Response Areas in it."

Albrecht trailed through one of the installments, leaning onto one for the Human sized Monitors: "Though in that case it's only useful if we pool things that are frequent. Maybe add Traffic and Trade? My Nation is rather complicated and strict when it comes to what we allow imported. W.a.i.t. could allow ministries to acquier more direct connections. Or it could help with things as simple as Roadblocks due to construction in smaller scales."

Albrecht tapped on the floor:

"I think, even if largely symbolic, the Personal Phone Network still would be an important aspect to build trust on the long run."

Offline Viljandi

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2019, 06:31:26 AM »
"Firt Consul L'Rois merly smiled "Sounds fine to me"