Author Topic: Pole to Pole: Cycling Not as We Know It  (Read 87 times)

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Pole to Pole: Cycling Not as We Know It
« on: February 09, 2021, 03:38:59 PM »
OOC - INSERT FANCY BANNER HERE ONCE COMPUTER KEYBOARD IS FOUND!

Pole to Pole: Cycling Not as We Know It is a video diary styled documentary[1] following the journey of four Achkaerinese women as they attempt to cycle on land and sea from the south pole in Hygelac to the north pole in Hrothgaer. The team consists of Sammy Lawson, the renowned cyclist who has more Mundus Games medals to her name than any other athlete, Melanie Parker a team mate of Lawson, Molly Cooper a two time individual and team triathlon gold medalist at the Mundus Games and Bridget Portman a sergeant in the Achkaerinese army and a medic. They're backed up by a support team led by Eleanor Hendry, a multiple record holding sailor.
 1. OOC - If anyone's ever watched Long Way Down or Long Way Round it's basically modeled somewhat on that.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: Pole to Pole: Cycling Not as We Know It
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 10:48:25 PM »
Meeting the Team: Sammy Lawson

"Hi I'm Sammy Lawson, probably best known for cycling exploits at the Mundus Games, I've been road racing since I was eight years old, I've won a lot of titles both domestically and internationally. And this whole wacky idea of trying to cycle pole to pole is mainly mine, I guess most people would wonder why someone would want to put themselves through something like this or how someone even thinks something like this up. I had the honour and privilege to pilot the Aerobreaker on the record breaking run as it took the human powered speed record a year ago, when that was going on I was approached about possibly doing this and not being the type to back down from a challenge I said I'd be up for it. Why did I want to do this? Because it's something challenging, because it's never been done before. Finding a team for it that was a little harder, not in the sense of finding cyclists I know enough of them after all, it was challenging because we weren't talking about a day's road racing we were talking about weeks in a small craft pedaling for hours at a time, close quarters with other people. Picking Melanie was a no brainer for me, she's had my back on the road since we were kids, she knows me, knows how to keep my spirits up and I'm sure they'll be moments where we get a bit low, where things don't quite go our way and it's really important to have someone who's like a rock around when that happens. Molly, well she's a good friend but also the more I looked at the maps as this was being planned the more I realized that we needed someone who was not only a strong cyclist but could keep an eye on our safety, as a triathlete Molly can cycle, can run and can swim all valuable skills in this venture and she's in the army so she's got plenty of other training that may prove helpful for us oh and she's got the music covered. Bridget, now she's like Molly in that she's in the army but she's our safety net, she's a medic which is important because you can't take something like this on and not have the cover if something goes wrong and someone gets hurt, as a sportswoman I know that if someone got injured in a race and there wasn't a medic around I'd be very annoyed and as I'm the person picking this team I'd be getting annoyed at myself and there's no point in that.

I've been asked a few times what I think the hardest part of this is going to be and it's a difficult one to answer because it could be a few different places, I think it will be on the water and probably be getting up through the Alucard, having to navigate all the small islands in that area, but then once we get up into the Illumic there's the vastness of the northern ocean to think about. And that's just thinking about the journey itself not thinking about having four young ladies in close quarters for months. It will be a challenge but one I'm looking forward to"

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 03:08:42 PM »
Meeting the Team: Melanie Parker

"Hi I'm Melanie, Mel to my friends, I'm a road racing cyclist for Phoenix Cycling and Team Achkaerin. I've been cycling for as long as I can remember, I started because it was a way to get away, be myself, see a few things and places. I always liked going up the mountains the best then in high school I met Sammy and we've been on the same team ever since, we've raced all over Mundus at all levels of competition so when she asked would I help her in this venture I wasn't about to say no. It's going to be a difficult thing to do, we're going to learn an awful lot about ourselves as we do it and when all's said and done we'll hopefully be the stronger for it. I'm looking forward to seeing the parts of Mundus I've not been to before, even if it's from a distance. I think what's going to worry us all a lot is the days upon days of isolation on the seas, in fact I think that's more worrying than the snow and ice cycling in Hygelac and Hrothgar at either end of this."

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 05:03:15 PM »
Meeting the Team: Molly Cooper

"Hi I'm Molly Cooper, the third sporting female personality on this team. I'm a Mundus Games winning triathlete both in individual and team events and this sort of crazy idea - cycling pole to pole is right up my street. I got into triathlon at a very young age, it's one of those slightly embarrassing moments when you look around at all the school clubs and you realize nothing quite suits you, I'd wanted to do something sporty but ended up in the army and then I started winning inter service triathlons, after that I never really looked back sporting wise I've had the privilege of competing across Mundus and I don't have to choose between the sport I love and my career because the army encourages me to compete. I said before this notion of cycling pole to pole was crazy, but it's the good kind of crazy, it's crazy enough that you want it to succeed.
 I have the advantage of having been in tough situations stuff that Sammy and Melanie haven't been through and I'm more used to the water than the others. My role is to be the guide, the navigator on the water and the rearguard on the snow I'm part of the safety net. It's going to be interesting to do this and I'm sure I'll learn a lot about myself."

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 06:38:32 PM »
Meeting the Team: Bridget Portman

"Hi I'm Bridget Portman, I'm a sergeant in the Aelmoor Watch where I serve as a medic, I'm posted to the Horthgar medical outpost. It's fair to say I'm the odd one out on this team, the other three are sports stars and I'm not but I have the experience of the environment we're going to be cycling in. It's unlike any other surface on Mundus because while you have all the crunch and the grip of the snow it's thin enough in places that you get through to the ice and that has no grip, it's why I get around on Hrothgar using a dog sled team because using anything else is very tricky. So while everyone else is rightly looking at the challenge in the middle of this I'm looking at either end of it and bringing my understanding of that environment to this so on the snow I'm the guide. As a medic I'm also going to be keeping everyone shipshape. This has been an interesting thing to prepare for, firstly because the scale of this makes you go 'no one's ever done this before' which tells you the immense nature of it but secondly I'm not a regular cyclist, I'm not used to the long distances of cycling that Sammy, Melanie and Molly are so I've been getting used to something new already."